• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I have played TW3 three times already, so there's not much left to do or see there for me.

HOWEVER, I've been dragging my feet to buy Thronebreaker and I finally did it after watching the show. I can't wait to play it!

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
DO IT.

First game is really good. Instead of an epic adventure it's more of a mystery albeit with major stakes. It has some of the more interesting moral dilemmas in the entire series and they were very ambitious with the idea of your actions having major consequences even back then. I'm glad that there are callbacks you the original game in Witcher III.

Yes! The callback in Blood and Wine is especially magical.

This is unsurprising and well deserved to be honest, I love the universe the books and games are set in, and it's one I love returning to it.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I finished playing Hearts of Stone recently because of anticipation to the series.

I will probably play Blood and Wine soon since I got pumped again. Was going to wait until next year.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
For those on the fence, Blood and Wine is better than most full price game released since, and if you've played to the point of only having B&W (make great speakers) left to do, then you really have no excuse :p

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I finished playing Hearts of Stone recently because of anticipation to the series.

I will probably play Blood and Wine soon since I got pumped again. Was going to wait until next year.
The story doesn't match Hearts of Stone for me, overall, but the setting is fresh enough and it has what I would consider a near perfect ending to go out on.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Best game I've ever played. Have played through it a total of 4 times and loved it each and every time. The show has definitely given me the itch to go back do it again.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, that actually threw me in the show, because you're right - in the book/games, beauty is just a convenient tool. The show explicitly frames it the other way - the physical transformation demands the sacrifice, even after magical powers have been demonstrated (he even explains that creation requires destruction, or something to that effect).

She does explicitly make this choice though:
she sacrifices her motherhood as part of the transformation - she actively gets to become not the vessel and deny her value to men.

She sacrifices this for power, but like humans in general....she wants more...she has desired to be the most beautiful powerful sorceress she can be at any cost..she then decides that she want's what she gave up, and was taken from her. Who has the right to say she can't have this, even if it was her choice initially.... that's how I believe she feels.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I played this along with AC Odyssey and RDR2. It's the best out of the three ride-a-fucking-horse-from-point-A-to-B-for-80%-of-the-game game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've casually been playing through my New Game+ save since 2017 after pouring 200+ hours into the game + DLC initially. Went back because of the show for the first time since this past Summer and was pleasantly surprised to see several people on my PSN friends list playing as well.

I'm right at the end of the main story. Some holiday Hearts of Stone is sounding real nice.

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
I lost my save after 100+ hours and having finished Hearts of Stone years ago. Never got around to Blood and Wine due to that.

But between the show and the comments here, it's probably time to make a new save and do it all over again.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished downloading it a few hours ago XD.
Thought I'd give it another go, I just wish the gameplay was much better, such a huge chunk of the game is pretty mediocre, movement, control of the character and more importantly the combat, means that about 10-12 hours in it becomes a chore to playthrough since you're in combat for a good majority of the missions.
But I love everything else though, the world/story/characters, and although that stuff isn't enough to carry a game if the gameplay isn't something I enjoy, I thought I should at least give it another go, the hype pretty much got to me after watching the show.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 DLC is best DLC ever.

Blood and Wine is brilliant, took me easily 30 hours and didn't even do everything (the grind for ultimate gear was too much). But Heart of Stone while not offering new areas per se was perhaps even better. Story wise its the best piece of content this game offers.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
hah I was wondering last night if this would happen. I actually thought about going back myself but I currently got too many games I need to finish first.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I lost my save after 100+ hours and having finished Hearts of Stone years ago. Never got around to Blood and Wine due to that.

But between the show and the comments here, it's probably time to make a new save and do it all over again.

The game let's you start the expansions right away if you want. Without playing the main game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I played the main Witcher 3 campaign back when it came out, not really interested in going back to that again. But I'm interested in the DLC which I never got to. How is playing the DLC handled? Do I need to load up an old save file? Can I just play both DLCs fresh?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I played the main Witcher 3 campaign back when it came out, not really interested in going back to that again. But I'm interested in the DLC which I never got to. How is playing the DLC handled? Do I need to load up an old save file? Can I just play both DLCs fresh?

You can start a 'DLC'-only save iirc that gets you up to the required level. They are both stand-alone stories, but I would suggest playing Blood & Wine last since it really bookends the game and has some callbacks to Hearts of Stone. Blood & Wine takes place in Toussaint, which is pretty much it's own area (just as Skellige); they actually use an updated version of the engine when you play it. But HoS is one of my favorite pieces of gaming content ever; the main quest might be my favorite part of the whole TW3 package.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a sec the saves from the normal version of Witcher 3 isn't compatible with the Complete Edition? Wtf....

I guess I have to start all over again.... might be a good excuse tbh lol

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
HoS is the best story in the games hands down, don't miss out on it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You can start a 'DLC'-only save iirc that gets you up to the required level. They are both stand-alone stories, but I would suggest playing Blood & Wine last since it really bookends the game and has some callbacks to Hearts of Stone. Blood & Wine takes place in Toussaint, which is pretty much it's own area (just as Skellige); they actually use an updated version of the engine when you play it. But HoS is one of my favorite pieces of gaming content ever; the main quest might be my favorite part of the whole TW3 package.
Nice, thanks.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I just finished downloading it a few hours ago XD.
Thought I'd give it another go, I just wish the gameplay was much better, such a huge chunk of the game is pretty mediocre, movement, control of the character and more importantly the combat, means that about 10-12 hours in it becomes a chore to playthrough since you're in combat for a good majority of the missions.
But I love everything else though, the world/story/characters, and although that stuff isn't enough to carry a game if the gameplay isn't something I enjoy, I thought I should at least give it another go, the hype pretty much got to me after watching the show.
About how I felt, I wish Geralt didn't control like a drunkard. Tempted to redownload too though lol

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Honestly it really bums me out that they never implemented HDR on PC.

I just watched the show but I can't. I was completely bored with TW3 around the time
You have to collect all the people to defend Ciri or something at the Witcher castle
. I just didn't care about the story, writing, or gameplay. I wanted to like it though. And this was also around when I discovered Dark Souls and how much I greatly preferred the combat and world.

That's one of my favorite parts!

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Can you get a high level DLC only save and then use that to do the main story?
giphy.gif

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Its really making me want to finish blood and wine any day now. I don't remember what got in my way back then and made me stop
I also never finished it. I remember talking to a vampire who was and old aquintee of Geralt and chasing after a princess or something. It wasn't bad it was just all rather slow paced, just a tad more than I had patience for.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I just watched the show but I can't. I was completely bored with TW3 around the time
You have to collect all the people to defend Ciri or something at the Witcher castle
. I just didn't care about the story, writing, or gameplay. I wanted to like it though. And this was also around when I discovered Dark Souls and how much I greatly preferred the combat and world.
Yay, another nonsensical comparison to a game of a completely different genre and format.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I need to pick up the expansions. I played, finished and loved the The Wild Hunt so not sure why I never got around to doing so.

Oct 28, 2019
Is there an option to play the expansions without a save on the PC version like with the Switch version? Picked the game up for the Switch but I love it so fucking much I want to experience the expansions in its full glory on PC, unfortunately already too deep in the main game to start over on PC.