• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Go play the first game you cowards.

Don't actually do that.

saw a copy at a used book store for a dollar, bought and installed it on my beater laptop for shits.

it was surprisingly pretty okay, lost like 3-5 hrs to it. if i didn't have zillions of other stuff to play i'd have ploughed through it all

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I can't disagree - he just fulfilled my expectations, I guess. You're right about being closer to the game though - he was far less mirthless in the books if I remember rightly (like a bit of lovelorn teenager at times).

Yeah maybe 'serviceable' is the best description ha ha. I would have been looking for a strong and interesting performance from him to really hold the show together. I couldn't help compare him to the lead in the other Netflix show, Altered Carbon. They are similar roles but the guy from Altered Carbon just manages to be so much more compelling and charismatic.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
is it time to finally start Witcher 3? I bought it ages ago but never got around to actually play it.

I only played Witcher 2 for around 13 hours before I stopped. Is 3 much better?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah this just got bumped to my priority replay during the holiday.

The show has flaws but as someone who played the third game only (could never get into the first two) it's exactly what I needed.

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
My game of the generation by a long way, fired it up for a Ng+, just trying to remember the controls and systems At the moment, last time I went for a specific ending, this time I'm going to just play and see how it ends up.

Also enjoying the show, my enjoyment is probably amplified by liking the game, bit i do like it. Lots of nods to the game in the show.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Yeah maybe 'serviceable' is the best description ha ha. I would have been looking for a strong and interesting performance from him to really hold the show together. I couldn't help compare him to the lead in the other Netflix show, Altered Carbon. They are similar roles but the guy from Altered Carbon just manages to be so much more compelling and charismatic.

I think that's fair. In his defense it's a weak teleplay, with odd scripting choices and a lot of elements that needed updating for 2019. Yen's story is hugely problematic for me and not the kind of female character I think we should be aiming for in 2019:
defined primarily by beauty and motherhood, strips off every five minutes, kinda baby crazy and uses her powers to conjure bizarre non-con orgies

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I really like the stories, the problem for me was I came to the Witcher directly after Bloodborne and once you play with combat that tight, if you have a sword and swing it around weightlessly I lose interest. The game world and story were really awesome, combat for me sucked. Maybe I'll get back to it now that it's on Switch too, I really wanted to like Witcher 3 more than I did.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I think that's fair. In his defense it's a weak teleplay, with odd scripting choices and a lot of elements that needed updating for 2019. Yen's story is hugely problematic for me and not the kind of female character I think we should be aiming for in 2019:
defined primarily by beauty and motherhood, strips off every five minutes, kinda baby crazy and uses her powers to conjure bizarre non-con orgies

You sure you understand Yen as character / person?

squall211

Jan 24, 2018
I just so happen to be finishing up my first ever playthrough of The Witcher 3. I'm looking forward to checking out the Netflix series afterwards.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I feel i seen everything witcher 3 had to offer. After two playthrough and more than 200hours, i loved every second of it.

Its witcher 2 i feel i didn't understood enough and sadly skimmed through because of its osbcure systems. I should go back to it because every time i talk about it with people i have no idea about what they are referring so i must have missed a lot

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I reinstalled the game on my Pro yesterday. I already completed the game and the 2 DLCs but never played with the Pro and HDR patch. Game looks amazing but the framerate is ROUGH

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Add me to the list of people who reinstalled to the 1X. I have jumped in and out of the game since it came out. Need to sit down and burn some hours on it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Witcher 1 and 2 are more relevant to understand the lore and story for the show but I suppose 3 brought in the biggest audience for the franchise.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It was great timing to put this on GamePass, just started Wild Hunt for the first time ever yesterday after finishing S1 Saturday night. My gf who would normally snooze through such things instantly recognized Yen, Ciri, and Roach in the game.

I believe they call this marketing synergy.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently debating whether it's reasonable to double-dip and get The Switcher but the urge is strong. I never played Blood and Wine....

It's just the kind of world The Witcher takes place in. They've already 'updated' Geralt and his attitude toward women, which I think is more than enough. Also, people's defining traits can be how they look or their dream to have children. Not everyone needs to be strong, self-sufficient and perfectly content with how their live is. Also, not everyone needs to be a role model. But it isn't place nor time to discuss it.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I`ve installed Witcher 1 and 2 after watching the show. :)

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I have the PC GOTY Edition with all the DLC and stuff but it didn't grab me. I feel like I don't know the story because I haven't played the first two. I remember chasing a woman, then she shows up in a village to take me to a kingdom and I had no idea what was going on.

I also didn't like the combat, it was basically a button smash.

Help me like this game?

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Except for the orgy, everything else is drawn from the source material.

Unless, I'm remembering wrong (and I could be, it's been years), the whole
hysterectomy scene
was either a massive elaboration on a general concept or completely invented. If I am remembering wrong though, this is definitely one of those things I'd have considered updating:
it reinforces the focus on motherhood and physical beauty (women have other facets and the show puts very little emphasis on either Yen's skills as a sorcerer or her role as a court diplomat - at least up until Episode 5) but with a macabre overtone that a women must trade motherhood for beauty - what really brings it home is how unlikely it would be to see a male character forced to trade his gonads for a strong jawline.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
hysterectomy scene
was either a massive elaboration on a general concept or completely invented. If I am remembering wrong though, this is definitely one of those things I'd have considered updating:
it reinforces the focus on motherhood and physical beauty (women have other facets and show puts very little emphasis on either Yen's skills as a sorcerer or her role as a court diplomat - at least up until Episode 5) but with a macabre overtone that a women must trade motherhood for beauty - what really brings it home is how unlikely it would be to see a male character forced to trade his gonads for a strong jawline.

It was an (unnecessary) elaboration on the fact that sorcerers and witches are sterile in-universe, yeah. But book Yennefer is very much driven by the desire to reclaim her reproductive capabilities, and by the desire to have a family with Ciri (and, sort of, some of the time, with Geralt). That's very much in line with the source material.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
I like the show better than the games...

At least I don't have to suffer the boring gameplay to get the next story bit

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought it for PS4, never played it before, lol. I wanted switch but the PS4 version was cheaper, so eh.

Elginer

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Just purchased on my Xbone (and gifted the complete edition to a friend for Christmas). I know own it PC, PS4 and Xbox one. No regrets.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I exploited the shit out of it in Blood and Wine to get all the armor. xD
It carries over to the ng+, right?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
hysterectomy scene
it reinforces the focus on motherhood and physical beauty (women have other facets and the show puts very little emphasis on either Yen's skills as a sorcerer or her role as a court diplomat - at least up until Episode 5) but with a macabre overtone that a women must trade motherhood for beauty - what really brings it home is how unlikely it would be to see a male character forced to trade his gonads for a strong jawline.

But witchers are sterile too? so in theory, for him to have his incredible bad ass scarred body he has no chance to reproduce. He is also supposed to be some emotionless killing machine that just ploughs women for the hell of it, but he finds love with Yen.

I think the show is awesome, I was glued to it all day yesterday.

and for what its worth, for all the strong indipendent women I know....I know women who both are career driven and are not looking for kids right now...I also know as many driven, inspirational women who manage to forge a career path while having an incredible desire to have children, and plan multiple kids amongst their career plans.

Noire

Oct 25, 2017
Never played The Witcher, but after watching show I am really tempted to. Story feels like it's a much better fit for a game than tv series.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It was an (unnecessary) elaboration on the fact that sorcerers and witches are sterile in-universe, yeah. But book Yennefer is very much driven by the desire to reclaim her reproductive capabilities, and by the desire to have a family with Ciri (and, sort of, some of the time, with Geralt). That's very much in line with the source material.
Yeah, I believe the source material only alludes to the fact that mages are sterile; and it does not link that 'procedure' to the way they look since that's just "magic" that the mages themselves control.

(or maybe I forgot a lot of things).

In which case I think I'm comfortable standing by my point. The books are several decades old now and definitely show their age on reading. It might have been wiser in 2019 to steer away from Yen's desires for motherhood and focused more on her role as a powerful, influential figure (as the games did). The show's fixation on her undercarriage is a bit distracting.

But witchers are sterile too? so in theory, for him to have his incredible bad ass scarred body he has no chance to reproduce.

If they ever show a scene where Geralt is laid out on a chair with a surgeon betwixt his legs, followed by the ritual burning of his bollocks, I'll reconsider, but I'm sure he'll never end up going through a baby-crazy phase.

Last edited:

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Never played The Witcher, but after watching show I am really tempted to. Story feels like it's a much better fit for a game than tv series.

100% game takes the source material and brings it to a whole new level, books and show don't compare to how good the game is (imo).

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
In which case I think I'm comfortable standing by my point. The books are several decades old now and definitely show their age on reading. It might have been wiser in 2019 to steer away from Yen's desires for motherhood and focused more on her role as a powerful, influential figure (as the games did). The show's fixation on her undercarriage is a bit distracting.

Games focus on that part of her because it's what she becomes. It isn't what she is after having basically been reborn into sorceress. She is totally different person.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
And I saw an interesting character who just got something important taken away from her, who was driven by desire for change and power. There is absolutely nothing wrong or off-tone or outdated in her image and her motivations or aspirations.
She even states in the show that beauty is overrated when she comes back to that mage school she studied in. Before that clearly states how she doesn't want to be a servant to some abusive king in the south. The stripping and "orgies" thing - well, maybe. I also found it to be overdone and unnecessary. But her being "baby crazy" is not a problem at all. A woman wanting children is not somehow bad or not progressive enough. To be honest with you, this actually sounds pretty silly to categorize a female character as not fit for the current times because she has a strong desire for motherhood. It's not her only or defining characteristic, as you say. In one of the episodes she even laments how kings see their queens as mere vessels for their progeny. Her desire for motherhood is self-centered and healthy. She wants it for herself and that is god-damn admirable.

As for the rekindled desire to play the game - it's definitely true. Personally, I've tried to play it many times and it never clicked. Maybe this time, after such a long pause...

Last edited:

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
hysterectomy scene

The dichotomy in the books (and i think also in the show) is magical ability vs motherhood. Not beauty. Beauty for witcher sorceresses was always a means to an end. Though i guess the new background for yennefer muddies that a bit.

Geralt looses his fertility too, for similar reasons.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Go play the first game you cowards.

Don't actually do that.
DO IT.

First game is really good. Instead of an epic adventure it's more of a mystery albeit with major stakes. It has some of the more interesting moral dilemmas in the entire series and they were very ambitious with the idea of your actions having major consequences even back then. I'm glad that there are callbacks you the original game in Witcher III.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

If they ever show a scene where Geralt is laid out on a chair with a surgeon betwixt his legs, followed by the ritual burning of his bollocks, I'll reconsider, but I'm sure he'll never end up going through a baby-crazy phase.

I do kind of get what you are getting at......but the show covers pretty damn well. This is a world where women are treated as Vessels....where kings desire sons.... she says Men take, take take from these women...she want's a choice.

No human being can take away the power of a women, Yen's desire is for power...is for no one to be able to have power over her. She wants her choic to be returned...where she can decide if she is a mother or not.

Appreciate your thoughts on it but I'm totally happy with the show.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

This is wrong. It's not quite as pronounced as with Yen, but he is not happy about it.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The dichotomy in the books (and i think also in the show) is magical ability vs motherhood. Not beauty. Beauty for witcher sorceresses was always a means to an end. Though i guess the new background for yennefer muddies that a bit.

Geralt looses his fertility too, for similar reasons.

Yeah, that actually threw me in the show, because you're right - in the book/games, beauty is just a convenient tool. The show explicitly frames it the other way - the physical transformation demands the sacrifice, even after magical powers have been demonstrated (he even explains that creation requires destruction, or something to that effect).

I do kind of get what you are getting at......but the show covers pretty damn well. This is a world where women are treated as Vessels....where kings desire sons.... she says Men take, take take from these women...she want's a choice.

She does explicitly make this choice though:
she sacrifices her motherhood as part of the transformation - she actively gets to become not the vessel and deny her value to men.