• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I sold the game when I finished it and now I hate myself for it. Added it into my rental list the other day because I definitely want to run around that world again for a bit

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
53 on Metacritic and 58 on Rotten Tomatoes. You're right, great show.
Admittedly, I only watched the first episode, but that was enough to see it's not for me. Glad you and many others like it, though. Because it means more sales for CDPR at the very least.

Reached episode five and can confirm that things don't really improve. Cavill really shocked me though - I couldn't picture him at all, but in practise he nails it. Shame everything else is so... unremarkable.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I did a full playthrough early this year. The Witcher 3 with it's 2 expansions is one of the most fulfilling games of all-time, so much great content and playing it all in one go never got burnt-out despite it taking close to 200 hours.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guilty of this. I left a decent place too, so enjoying getting back into it. Obviously no coincidence it's arrived on GamePass this week.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I hope this pushes CDP to remaster The Witcher 1 in 3s engine

I want to play it, but its far too janky and old for me to power through.

Hopefully after Cyberpunk they will consider it

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Playing it on switch ., handheld gameplay is a wonder. Everytime I start the game I gawk at the screen in awe for how a 'uuge scale game like this is available on a portable and how fun it is to be able to play wherever.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
When looking at the whole you really think this is 5 / 10 show?
Maybe a 6/10, I really wasn't at all impressed with the conversion from the books - far too much tell and not enough show (typical enough with book-to-screen adaptations). The art direction is pretty lacklustre too - especially the costuming - and honestly, I found the amounts of female nudity a bit gratuitous.

Last edited:

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
bought witcher 2 on xbox. it holds up pretty well, running in native 4k on x1x also helps a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
I, too, recently restarted but I didn't know the show was coming out soon. I have Netflix but I'll likely never watch it. I just don't really have the patience for a series with long, continuous plots. Maaaaaybe one a year. The last series I watched was "You" with my girlfriend.

Anyways. I'm having a blast on PC. Since getting a 2070 Super I can totally max everything out at 1440p and get a constant 60+ and it's still a lovely game. Majestic scenery, for sure. I really like the world-building and lore as well.

This is one of those games that I feel mods are a necessity for; removing weight for most items, removing item degradation, auto-applying oils, auto-loot enemies, removing the animation from gathering resources, all vendors have 5000 gold, etc... Lots of little quality-of-life tweaks that make it more enjoyable. I like the concept of a portable version, for sure, but without mods it would just get irritating.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first three episodes and it did give me the urge to replay it. Such a huge game though and I have way too many newer releases to get through.

But I wish I was enjoying the show more. Cavill is fantastic as Geralt, but that's about the only positive so far.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

It has 89 on Imdb though (based on nearly 60k votes). People clearly like it, despite critics being lukewarm on it (also, a lot of critics based their reviews on the first 5 episodes only).
So while critical reception hasn't indeed been great, it's not exactly accurate to say it's a 5/10 show.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game back in 2015 but never touched the DLC. Loving the show though and it's really making me want to go back, explore the world again and finally check out the DLC.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
The franchise is still going strong!
And it's even more exciting to know that Sapkowski has reconciled with Cd Projekt.
So if there's a next Witcher game, it would be cool if it was written by the author!

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game back in 2015 but never touched the DLC. Loving the show though and it's really making me want to go back, explore the world again and finally check out the DLC.
blood and whine provides the best closure i have ever experienced for a long running videogame series. its a small moment, but that alone is worth a playthrough.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I, too, recently restarted but I didn't know the show was coming out soon. I have Netflix but I'll likely never watch it. I just don't really have the patience for a series with long, continuous plots. Maaaaaybe one a year. The last series I watched was "You" with my girlfriend.

Anyways. I'm having a blast on PC. Since getting a 2070 Super I can totally max everything out at 1440p and get a constant 60+ and it's still a lovely game. Majestic scenery, for sure. I really like the world-building and lore as well.

This is one of those games that I feel mods are a necessity for; removing weight for most items, removing item degradation, auto-applying oils, auto-loot enemies, removing the animation from gathering resources, all vendors have 5000 gold, etc... Lots of little quality-of-life tweaks that make it more enjoyable. I like the concept of a portable version, for sure, but without mods it would just get irritating.

I'm 4 episodes in only, but that hasn't been this show so far. For the most part each episode (at least the Geralt portions) are short, separate monster hunting escapades.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Well at least the mediocre show (I finished the first season yesterday) will make more people to play one of the best games I have ever played.

I hope next season(s) will be a lot better. They can create an excellent show with the setting and lore of The Witcher.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Admittedly, I only watched the first episode, but that was enough to see it's not for me. Glad you and many others like it, though. Because it means more sales for CDPR at the very least.

Its 89 in IMDB after almost 60k reviews.

Critics don't like it but the fans seem to be loving it. I watched it all over the weekend and thought it was a solid 7/10 with some episodes being an 8.5.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
it also got added to gamepass as the show came out, makes me wanna download it and buy Blood and Wine, I never played any of the DLC

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Reached episode five and can confirm that things don't really improve. Cavill really shocked me though - I couldn't picture him at all, but in practise he nails it. Shame everything else is so... unremarkable.
Don't know why Netflix only gave reviewers 5 EPs, because of the "special" structure it has, many things come together in the last couple EPs.
But still, not everything is for everyone.

I liked it pretty much.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Witcher 3 is my game of the generation, yet I havent found the time for the DLC but I know I have to, watching the series is making me think once Christmas is out the way thats what il be playing next, the question is do I reply the main story aswell.

the DLC are pretty much stand alone stories. And Hearts of Stone might be the best story in the whole game. Blood & Wine should be played last.

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
I was taken aback by all the negative reviews but after the second episode I couldn't stop watching. I never read the books, only played Wild Hunt, but I really really like the series.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was up for exploring a big open world, but I just couldn't cope with that janky combat, I don't think I made it to the first town before ditching it. In hindsight I probably would've tired of it sooner or later, the main character type really doesn't appeal and I prefer create your character for such games.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I was taken aback by all the negative reviews but after the second episode I couldn't stop watching. I never read the books, only played Wild Hunt, but I really really like the series.

I think series will live through word of mouth from viewers, word seems to be spreading too pretty well across Internet that show is worth to check out no matter what reviews say.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The show is great.

It setup a very intresting S2 and onward. The casting of key persons is great imo, where Cavil is 110% Geralt.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I think series will live through word of mouth from viewers, word seems to be spreading too pretty well across Internet that show is worth to check out no matter what reviews say.
Yeah, I think it'll be fine. So many people I know who are not familiar with the Witcher are giving it a go and so far, they all like it. Seems to be what most people are reporting online as well. It's another case where critics and general audiences don't align.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

Really? I felt just the opposite actually. I don't recall the last time I saw such a bland and featureless performance. He actually opted to do a stereotypical, gruffy-voiced, video game protagonist voice which is hilarious. It's almost like he was trying to copy the video game portrayal which is pretty sad for an artist of his stature.

I thought the show overall was entertaining but ultimately forgettable and certainly not GoT season 1-5 level.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 4 episodes in only, but that hasn't been this show so far. For the most part each episode (at least the Geralt portions) are short, separate monster hunting escapades.
It will be though. The first season is pretty much the prelude to the actual show.

If I'm correct, the next seasons will follow books 3-7, which are all about political intrigue instead of monster hunting and a have big sprawling story, not the little separated stories from the first season, which is mostly based on the first two books/short story bundles.

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
The show has made me want to play the first two games since I've never played them. Anyone know of good visual and QoL mods for the first game?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
This is so real. I found that out after reading some of the books but I've wanted to go back to the Witcher 3 again to pick Yen. I still prefer Triss but you're crazy if you think Geralt and Yen aren't perfect together.
They are perfect for each other. For the good and the bad. They theserve each other hahaha
And as I play as a book geralt on my witchers playthroughs instead of me like other choose your own adventure rpgs, thats the way to go.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Really? I felt just the opposite actually. I don't recall the last time I saw such a bland and featureless performance. He actually opted to do a stereotypical, gruffy-voiced, video game protagonist voice which is hilarious. It's almost like he was trying to copy the video game portrayal which is pretty sad for an artist of his stature.

I thought the show overall was entertaining but ultimately forgettable and certainly not GoT season 1-5 level.

I mean, I can't disagree - he just fulfilled my expectations, I guess. You're right about being closer to the game though - he was far less mirthless in the books if I remember rightly (like a bit of lovelorn teenager at times).

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It will be though. The first season is pretty much the prelude to the actual show.

If I'm correct, the next seasons will follow books 3-7, which are all about political intrigue instead of monster hunting and a have big sprawling story, not the little separated stories from the first season, which is mostly based on the first two books/short story bundles.

Yeah, this (while I haven't read the books it is quite clear this is the goal).

Also I don't usually like these sort of setup with isolated episodes, but this show does it great (looking at you Mandalorian!).

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
They are dummies for not putting the game on sale on Switch to coincide with the release of the show, because I would have double dipped so hard right now.

Only to regret it a few hours later because there's no way I'll play through that huge ass game a second time, but still.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When looking at the whole you really think this is 5 / 10 show?
...I do. They just really unnecessarily changed so many things from the books and for the worse, sometimes outright destroying the whole point of a given story. Plus the cheap look of many scenes (e.g. Brokilon), mediocre CGI, some spotty acting...it is mediocre show at best, and that is a crime given the potential there was to make a masterpiece.

Still...here is hoping S2 improves, maybe miracle will happen and Lauren will get better writers and cinematographers.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Fuck, here we go again.

I need to play this for the 4th time. AND, I haven't played blood and wine yet.

AND, I didn't even watch the series.