• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, while I've personally enjoyed the trailers myself, I do think the absolute best promotional material Netflix has released for this show has been the three Character Introduction videos for Geralt, Ciri and especially Yennefer.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Really? It must have been a fast ass cut then. That picture above in this thread is the first that I think I've seen of the Kikimore.
The Striga has been (understandbly, being sush an iconic moment) hidden away (we do see some glimpses) but the kikimore has been shown quite a lot.
Hw9s2ES.gif

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Looks good. Excited to watch it. Curious if people would be as interested, or netflix for that matter, if it wasn't for the games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is Geralt not a monster hunter in this any more? None of the trailers seem to highlight that if so. Which is probably why all the trailers look bad to me.
I guess I can understand if they just didn't have the budget for it, but it's super disappointing to see Only him battling a few soldiers.

Lauren said they deliberately de-emphasized the monsters in trailers so they'd be a surprise and not blow what stories they're adapting in advance.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Given the amount of trashy hot takes I've seen from game-only consumers this year (where Triss at? - how come he only gawt one sward on his back? - whurz mah Dandy Lion?) I'd say the interest would be low.

I mean, if they're complaining it means they're taking interest. Good or not.
Personally, I love the games and am super hyped only b/c of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I mean, if they're complaining it means they're taking interest. Good or not.
Personally, I love the games and am super hyped only b/c of that.

Naw- the games are great. Just think it's funny that Netflix has gone out of their way to throw up "BASED ON THE INTERNATIONAL BEST-SELLING BOOK SERIES" in giant lettering on every trailer in order to avoid confusion and it just gets ignored.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Oh man, I'm down just for a Last Wish adaptation. Still my favorite story.

The world seems very... un-Witcher like, though. Where're the elves and dwarves?
The Dandelion song they released is about Geralt fighting elves, so I imagine they're around.

In the Netflix video about Geralt's character, there is a shot of Toruviel
7vxfnp2n9n341.png

And in one trailer we saw one scene from the 5th episode, which is the adaptation of the short story The Bounds of Reason, where we can see some dwarves
suamuekikxv31.png

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
They are so far adapting these short stories for the first season:
  • Episode 1: The Lesser Evil
  • Episode 2: The Edge of The World
  • Episode 3: The Witcher
  • Episode 4: A Question of Price
  • Episode 5: The Last Wish
  • Episode 6: The Bounds of Reason
  • Episode 7: Sword of Destiny
  • Episode 8: Something More
Each episode is around 1 hour - 3rd episode is for example 1hour 6minutes long

I'm not at home so I don't have my boots to look at, but which story was about

The Dragon

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Man as someone who has read all the books, y'all in for a big early Christmas treat. For those that haven't and you want to be surprised about the world/story, probably don't watch these - very spoilery, including the featurettes.

Adlez

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Low effort drive by, inappropriate comment, junior account
Triss is a fucking skank. i'll be happy if she doesn't play a big part.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they have A Shard of Ice, A Little Sacrifice, and A Grain of Truth as side stories in the second season as flashbacks.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Gonna be some of the best 8 hours for me in a while on December 20th. Absolutely can't wait for this!

a916

Oct 25, 2017
These trailers have gone from solid to great the closer we're getting to release.

Looking forward to it, hopefully it's good.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they have A Shard of Ice, A Little Sacrifice, and A Grain of Truth as side stories in the second season as flashbacks.
Yeah I love A Shard of Ice, I'm hoping we might get something in there seeing that the bathtub scene is from there and we've seen it in the trailers, but seems unlikely.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Great video with the clips matching the book text. Emphasizes how they are adapting the books as closely as they can.

Exaggerate your disbelief all you like, but the battles, especially the larger ones look extremely low budget, and this series actually cost a lot to make. The smaller scale fights look a little ridiculous too with the choreography. Maybe, just maybe these trailers are a poor representation overall of the series, but if so, then they didn't do a good job with them.

Here's a leaked fight scene from A Question of Price. Not sure how I feel about this.

LMAO, case in point.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Dunno what exactly you are watching, or what you are actually comparing it to, but it does look cheap. There are more than a few shows out now on TV that do both large and small scale fights pretty well, and might even do one or the other at a much higher standard than most. Nothing in any of these trailers show that this series can go beyond average at best. It's like a huge portion of the budget was spent on the monster CGI and the actors.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they set up a gap in the timeline for flashing back to in the second season, A Shard of Ice should stay on the cutting room floor. Adapting that story after Ciri enters their lives would be disastrous, it would especially ruin Geralt as a character. The triangle dynamic is almost definitely staying, but I can't imagine it being the same story.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I feel like people are being blinded by their love for the source material. Everything I've seen in motion looks badddd so far. All of the fight scenes are floaty, with the weapons not even touching people yet they fall over and die. The choreography looks terrible and like a B-movie.

I love the games and novels a lot, but this just doesnt look promising to me, which is a shame because Henry deserves this to be a success.