• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017

This is only Part 1 of a 3 part series. I have not watched the whole thing yet because it's 4 hours long! Video is timestamped and not meant to be watched all at once. Apparently he devoted 5K hours into making this series.

ABJAMON

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
And I thought Mathewmattosis videos were long...

Ill try to watch it later today.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Honestly, I really like some of his videos, but I can't help but laugh when he uploads a new one... Part 1 of 3, and it's fucking 4 hours long haha. I mean, what you think must be said can surely be said in less than 4 hours...

OP
OP

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I really like some of his videos, but I can't help but laugh when he uploads a new one... Part 1 of 3, and it's fucking 4 hours long haha. I mean, what you think must be said can surely be said in less than 4 hours...

I dunno but he's critically looking at all the games + all the books so that's a lot of content to talk about.

Is this a fucking joke? 4 hours 20 minutes for 1/3 parts.

Timestamp is in the comments. He stated in the intro that the video is meant to be a miniseries and you watch each timestamp like an episode.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you need 12 hours to present your argument then chances are you are just bad at expressing what you want to say rather than you having a lot to say. That's been my experience with every super long YouTube video essay.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
There is already a thread on this:
www.resetera.com

The Witcher Critique - The Beginning of a Monster by Joseph Anderson

Holy shit, it's over 4 hours, guess it's gonna take me a while. But I like how Joseph goes in-depth for all games he critiques so I'm very curious. This is the first of three videos on The Witcher Series. The video took him ~5,000 hours to make. Just thinking about editing that monster makes me...

If you need 12 hours to present your argument then chances are you are just bad at expressing what you want to say rather than you having a lot to say. That's been my experience with every super long YouTube video essay.
I don't think you'll find this any different, but Joseph is a good orator and spends most of the time describing events that occur to back his arguments and critiques. Also a lot of it feels like some thoughts, observations, and impressions he's had in his experience.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
This is some next tier level dedication - he learned polish to read the books in their native language. I'll never watch 12 hours of videos on the Witcher but you have to respect the work.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017

This is my problem with Joseph. His videos are way too longwinded and could easily be condensed into shorter (~1 hour) videos.

OP
OP

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
They're not meant to be watched all at once though... He's got time stamps indicating episodes.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I jumped around a bit and it seems more like an edited "let's play" where he describes what's happening in every quest as he does them, than a critique.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite YouTubers. I'm looking forward to the end of my work day so I can start this chonker.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Wow, incredible that he actually made this. I remember him saying years ago that this series was hugely requested, but the time commitment was just too insane. Wild that he did it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped around a bit and it seems more like an edited "let's play" where he describes what's happening in every quest as he does them, than a critique.
It's how he does all of his in-depth videos. It's not so much as a let's play so much as an insanely detailed list of specific examples that he uses to explain his criticisms/praise. Towards the end of his videos is when he always speaks in broader terms

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Finally! JA takes really long between vids so the longer the better honestly

OP
OP

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
So far, I'm enjoying his critique of the original Witcher (just chapter 1 and prologue thus far)... Eloquently points out the good and the bad. I feel like this might be a good video for those who wanted to check out Witcher but can't stomach the jank. I've always felt that the original Witcher told the most cohesive story and out of the 3 games, did choice/consequence the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.