• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Our third-quarter revenues were over 38% higher than during the corresponding period in 2018. This is due, among others, to increased sales of The Witcher 3, first shipments of the game's Nintendo Switch edition and an increase in revenues posted by GOG.com – says Piotr Nielubowicz, Vice President and CFO of CD PROJEKT.

Two important events occurring after the close of the third quarter involved releases for new hardware platforms which had not been previously targeted by the Group. On 15 October The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was released for Nintendo Switch, while on 29 October GWENT debuted on iOS mobile devices.

- We are greatly encouraged by positive reception of both releases on the part of gamers, particularly taking into account the fact that we hadn't previously released any products for either hardware platform. It is worth noting that throughout the first three weeks following the launch of GWENT on iOS, 68% of revenues associated with this game came from iOS devices – says Piotr Nielubowicz

SOURCE

So two takeaways:
  • It looks like The Witcher 3's Switch version ended up being successful for CDPR (make a good port of a good game for a popular system, and it will sell well, who'd have thought)
  • It sounds to me, based on the second quote, that the Switch has "passed a test" so to say, in that CD Projekt RED is adequately impressed by the performance of TW3 on there that the platform is something they are looking at going forward. This is primarily speculation on my part, but regardless of whether or not it's true, at least TW3 on Switch ended up being a success.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The only Switch stuff that would show up on this report would be the initial shipment of TW3, so that revenue isn't really based on consumer demand. They could still be happy with it (and probably are) but the initial shipment is what contributed to the bump.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Thronebreaker was legitimately a very cool game with a lot of interesting ideas. Buy it when it comes to Switch, folks

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to last year where they only released Gwent on the Windows platform I believe?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Thronebreaker on switch could sell enough for them to make a sequel.. it was glorious games people, so much more if you are a witcher fan. Buy it now!

Apr 21, 2018
I wonder if they'd go back and port/re-release Witcher 2.

Otherwise, I doubt this means much. I don't think Cyberpunk 2077 is going to happen for Switch.

But, all of this does bode well for a changing landscape on Nintendo platforms. If Nintendo keeps with this momentum and releases a more powerful Switch 2 down the line, I can really see 3rd party support increasing further.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
cyberpunk on switch lets make it happen kids

maxresdefault4uqk2a.jpg

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense since it's the biggest game they've released in years. It's their only one besides qwent until Cyberpunk.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The report is through to September 30th 2019. The game launched mid October.

CDPR is only talking about the initial shipment on Switch ordered by retailers. It's not indicative of anything.

They even mention this in the report.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The report is through to September 30th 2019. The game launched mid October.

CDPR is only talking about the initial shipment on Switch ordered by retailers. It's not indicative of anything.

They even mention this in the report.

At the very least the initial shipment would be based on preorders, right? So it is at least partially indicative of consumer demand.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
At the very least the initial shipment would be based on preorders, right? So it is at least partially indicative of consumer demand.

I'm aware. But this is a really weird thread title and premise when there are other more notable factors cited. Better to wait for next quarter to report on Switch performance.

Pre-orders, retailer demand, consumer interest. It's not a number totally devoid of meaning.

There is no number?

Oct 27, 2017
Switcher 3 is legit fantastic. I'd like an option to turn off the AA and sharpen things up a touch, those areas where AA is off look better to me than the blur, but other than that I can't fault it. I spend 3 hours on a train running around Skellige today, just fantastic.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Probably Gwent/Thronebreaker ports. I wonder if they'd consider doing The Witcher 1-2? Maybe in a collection?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I remember all these shitty graphics memes when Witcher 3 was considered a ridiculous proposition. It's going to be quite funny if Cyberpunk actually gets a Switch port, and actually looks more than acceptable for a portable device.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware. But this is a really weird thread title and premise when there are other more notable factors cited. Better to wait for next quarter to report on Switch performance.

Yeah, I agree with that. I even said the same thing as you early on in the thread.

It really doesn't mean much at this point.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Just a small nitpick, but the press release is about CD Projekt, the publisher, not RED, the developer.

CDP=CD Projekt, owner of GOG and RED
CDPR=CD Projekt RED

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Only way Cyberpunk comes to Switch is if Google adds Switch as a platform for Stadia. Switch 2, though...

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this doesn't say much but I feel Witcher 3 will sell for a long time on Switch. Its one of the go to games if you want a big rpg to play on a portable.

Oct 27, 2017
CD Projekt actually said something about The Witcher 3 on Switch during the Q&A following this report :

"Incidentally, the release of The Witcher 3 on Switch is generating additional revenue, but it isn't comparable to the release of a new game. Sales are in-line with expectations."

Not much to extrapolate from that. Thanks Giuseppe for listening to the conference call as always !