• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait, I bought a PS4 copy for the PS5 improvements the week before it got delayed.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been so damn long just for a next-gen patch. Hopefully this is a sign that they're really, really going above and beyond and we'll see some huge improvements.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
With Starfield out of the way this will probably be my thing this holiday.

Oct 31, 2017
hard to even tell if this is supposed to be something worthy of anticipation, given than it's not clear what it will change/improve/add.

Especially for anyone who already played it on PC and couldn't give half of a sloppy fuck of a "60 fps patch".

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
that's longer than I thought, I was thinking Q3 but oh well.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to replay it. I honestly didn't like the game very much, but I wouldn't kind replaying just for the comfiness with improved graphics.

pikachuizgod

Apr 19, 2019
like I said in the other thread, it was also planned for release last year and in Q2 2022 so I'll believe it when I see it

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
After how underwhelming the "next gen" Cyberpunk update was, I don't think I care too much anymore.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 is an evergreen title, but it won't be if they fuck this up. Hopefully this means they are really trying to nail this.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even expect that much from the patch. Its been like...7 years since the release of the game. The update should make it look substantially different, but I doubt it will. The game still looks very nice, but obviously a bit dated now graphically.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
They can take their time, but I hope it makes this year.

A free patch for a 7 year old game puts a lot of other publishers low effort, paid upgrades to shame.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I first played it on PS4, so really excited to replay on PC with maybe some mods

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
Since I just started it on my Steam Deck, take your time, I don't need an awesome next gen patch now so I regret my decision to invest the next 100+ hours on this little device with just 40-45fps. I would be happy with somewhere next year. 😛

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
The move to in-house development has me hopeful after Saber's Pro/X updates had teething troubles.

Have it on PC but there's something comfy about playing on console

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Since I just started it on my Steam Deck, take your time, I don't need an awesome next gen patch now so I regret my decision to invest the next 100+ hours on this little device with just 40-45fps. I would be happy with somewhere next year. 😛

At least save the expansions for later (Blood and Wine would be a GOTY RPG by itself)

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping it's cross save. I didn't get the platinum last time just because of the one gwent card locked behind the baron story mission. I'm hoping I can just NG+ on PS5 and complete the platinum in style.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, even if I started it up again now the experience might be significantly different from 2015.

I played like 400 hours on PC but on medium graphics settings locked to 30fps (PC gaming isn't always 60fps with eye-watering graphics folks). That was two GPUs ago plus my upgrade to a 4K 120Hz display. What does it even take to max out Witcher 3 at that resolution/fps these days?

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I really expected it a bit sooner. Well, nevermind. I can wait. Better to have it in late Autumn/Winter, than now, when weather is gorgeous.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Just in time for Ragnarok.

I'm doomed to never be able to just play one game at a time.

Oct 27, 2017
Way back when I played the game up until I was about to set sail for Skelliege before putting it down. Next-gen upgrade is as good excuse as ever to hop back in and see it through to the end.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably end up playing it next summer then. There will probably be too many games to play this winter and spring

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
Do we have any idea of what is being added?

Are they adding any engine features, or should we just expect 4k60 @ high/ultra PC settings?

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Should I play it then or wait for more patches?
Bought day one, dabbled and shelved.

If you have a Series X then it runs 1440p+ at 60FPS (VGTech have a resolution and framerate video for it) and that's not a bad way to play. The biggest thing a latch could bring would be tessellation and draw distance (and a responsive map/UI), as pop in is noticeable and things like wheat in fields will render in front of you as you move. Tessellation would also help some of the now dated looking character models and ground detail.

The other issue is the HDR update on Xbox broke the lighting in SDR (there was a topic on here about it) and that was never patched. So if you have a HDR set you're fine, although the HDR is average, but if you're playing in SDR I'd hold off to see if they fix that.

Finally, on Xbox there's a pain in the ass glitch where the difficulty sometimes changes to easy mode if you start the game from rest/suspend mode (not sure about quick resume though. I played it last on One X). This bug is fun when you're 200+ hour hardest difficulty save file swaps to easy and voids your opportunity to unlock the achievement for completing the game on hard.

If you do play the game at any point though, turn of "Points of interest" markers in the settings and swap movement to alternative controls. The controls option means Geralt turns quickly instead of having a ton of animation priority, and the POI markers litter the entire map but contain nothing but scaled loot. If you turn them off you'll still easily find them as they all have natural environmental tells like plumes of smoke or debris floating in the water, but if you leave them on you run the risk of chasing map icons for worthless content which will make it feel like an Ubisoft game. Trust me, the game has hundred of hours of amazing constant that will make you travel the entire map. Don't spend fifty hours trying to clear of a checklist of map markers like my brother only to get burnt out and never finish the game.

I'd also suggest playing on Death March difficulty if you Dark Souls. It makes you utilise their entire combat system instead of just spamming shield and attack. It starts off incredibly hard and does gate you out of a few areas early on, but it also keeps the game interesting the whole way through and eventually eases off. Any other difficulty and I find the combat feels Ike a waste of time. You can always change mid playthrough anyway.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
I completely forgot this was coming out and started a second playthrough like last month. I guess I'll re-revisit in a few years with the next gen patch lol

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
^^^pretty sure you only get 1440p on XSX if you're playing on a monitor. most TV displays don't do that resolution.