• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (85)
OpenCritic (85)

HuffPost India (no score):
The Witcher 3 on the Nintendo Switch not the best of the game (that's reserved for the PC version) but it's good enough. Even more so when you look at the state in which most big budget multiplatform games launch on the Switch. They either lack features like FIFA 20 or are abysmal to play like WWE 2K18. If you own a Nintendo Switch and want to get your fix of The Witcher 3 on the go. There's a host of compromises, but they're the right ones.

Ars Technica (no score):
I don't mean to say Witcher 3 is unplayable or ruined by the effort spent getting it into Switch-compatible shape. However, completely new players should be warned that CDPR's cinematic vision for the game is compromised just enough to take this port out of my running for a clear-cut recommendation. If you've already played Witcher 3 and want an excuse to burn through it anew on the go, complete with convenient "fast forward to the expansions" shortcuts, then yes, this port is a great reason to return to Nilfgaard. If you don't have any other consoles or a decent gaming PC, then "Switcher 3" is absolutely playable. (Plus, in my personal opinion, it's better than Switch's Skyrim as an on-the-go RPG, even with low resolutions and other visual compromises.)

But if you do have another hardware option and aren't necessarily itching for a purely portable RPG, take a breath and look at other systems' heavily discounted versions before making this your very first way to play the game.

Video Game Chronicle (5/5):
If you've been Nintendo-exclusive your whole life it's an unmissable adventure. Not just for the meat of the game, but to rekindle your faith in the concept of ports. If you were raised on a diet of Wii and Wii U, you lived through some horror shows; games half featured, or watered down for a child audience. Thanks to the likes of Skyrim and Divinity: Original Sin 2, Switch is washing away that bad taste, and The Witcher 3 continues the tradition.

For seasoned Witchers, double dipping reveals an inferior version of the game, but one that shouldn't really exist at all. And are you going to really say no to Gwent on the bus? This is a slick, smart port, delivering a version that works, and maintains enough magic to make it worth it. Like so much of the game itself, it's all about difficult compromises. In a fantasy world where it's very easy to make a mess, this is an elegantly diplomatic outcome.

PowerUp! (9.4/10):
There aren't any new, useless features in The Witcher 3 on Switch, like motion controls, which is fine because the standard controls work flawlessly. Aside from the visuals, you can't tell the difference between playing this and other versions.

The framerate is rock solid, bugs are minimal/nonexistent and, honestly, I might even prefer the handheld version. I think every game should be on Switch because playing on the go is the best.

Now that The Witcher 3 is on Switch, there's no reason that every other game in existence isn't. I love The Witcher 3 and on Switch, I love it even more.

Metro GameCentral (9/10):
Of course, the other consoles and PC offer a far better representation of the same game but if they aren't an option for you, or the portability is a priority, then The Witcher 3 on Switch is a must-have and a sign not only of Nintendo's increasing third person muscle but the fact that good game design always shines through, despite minor technical issues.

Nintendo Life (9/10, video):
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt remains a masterpiece, and being able to take such a grand and engrossing adventure on the go is something well worth celebrating. The Switch's Complete Edition is a truly impressive achievement, and although performance isn't perfect, it's still an incredible and impactful role-playing experience. The Witcher 3 set the bar for modern RPGs back in 2015, and this port is a startling reminder that it has yet to be bettered.

The Digital Fix (9/10):
Its amazing what has been done with this portable Witcher 3 port. Yes the graphics are downgraded, yes it does not look as good as other versions but it is a well running portable version of a great RPG. You get a lot of game for your money and it is well worth your time and effort.

Nintendo Insider (9/10):
Without a doubt, the best way to experience The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition is on a much more powerful system with a top of the range television to match. After all, the game can be found for a much cheaper price on other consoles due to its age. However, that kind of luxury isn't always practical, and what CD Projekt Red and Saber Interactive have done to make the Nintendo Switch version possible is a stunning achievement in its own right. The premium price tag that marks the game will never feel like it isn't value for money. That is, assuming the genre is of taste to the player plunging in on the purchase.

God is a Geek (9/10, video):
Regardless, if you've never played this brilliant game before, I'd still recommend experiencing it on Xbox One X or PC for the highest visual fidelity, but if you're planning to get up close and personal with Geralt, Triss, and Yennifer, then handheld is the way to go. Modern life takes away so much of our time and Nintendo's Switch has given us some back in the evening. As the cold nights draw in and we close the curtains on the rain outside, I can't think of a better thing to do than spend some time with The Witcher 3. It's not as good looking, but it's still a glorious game.

GamingBolt (9/10, video):
Is The Witcher 3's Switch version the ideal way to play the game? No, not really- not by a long shot. If you have access to a PS4 or an Xbox One or a PC that can run the game, I definitely would not recommend the Switch version of the game, unless portability is a factor for you. Then again, if portability is a factor for you, or if you don't have access to those systems, or if you've played this game before and have a hankering to play through it again? Go right ahead and buy The Witcher 3 on the Switch, without any hesitations. It's the full experience, and sure, it has noticeable graphical cutbacks, but it's one of the greatest games of all time on a portable system, and it runs well- that in and of itself should be enough to sell you on it.

Hobby Consolas (87/100, review in Spanish):
The Witcher 3 is still one of the best written RPGs of the generation, but the technical failures of this version tarnish the great White Wolf adventure. All in all, having the complete game and the two expansions in a portable console is something magical.

GamePressure (8.5/10):
The most glorious advantage of this game is, of course, part of the compromise – in exchange for an uglier Witcher, you're able to take him to school, work, or on a longer journey. I haven't played the game yet in public transportation, being cautious with the embargo, but I suspect kids will soon have a new way to be fancy. But we've fought with Geralt in my bed, talked to people while sipping morning coffee, or played Gwent in the Sun, on my balcony. It's nice to take your hobbies wherever you want, and Nintendo's console gives you exactly that opportunity with the port of the Witcher 3. And for that, the game deserves a lot of credit.

Gaming Trend (85/100):
One of this generation's titans finally makes its landmark debut on the Nintendo Switch. For newcomers who can fight through the rocky 30 frames per second and lower resolutions, The Witcher 3 on Switch is a no-brainer. But, for those with no plans to take their monster-killing outside, the game is better enjoyed on other consoles.

Cerealkillerz (8/10, review in German):
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition on the Nintendo Switch has become a remarkable technical feat thanks to its stable frame rate and huge amount of content. Only the non-constant resolution of 720p and some reduced graphic elements reduce the viewing experience, especially in TV mode. Who can live with it and wants to play the title exclusively on the way, can access here without hesitation.

MSPoweruser (8/10):
With all that said, there's no denying that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on Nintendo Switch should be considered a resounding achievement. While far from the definitive version, what's here is very much the complete experience, DLC and all. It's easy to see how players would prefer the convenience of undertaking Geralt's journey on the go, either from the very beginning or as someone who missed out on Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine and are craving a way to jump in right away. Switcher 3 is the ultimate fantasy RPG and the ultimate in convenience.

IGN (8/10):
The Switch port of The Witcher 3: Complete Edition certainly isn't how I'd recommend you experience CD Projekt Red's epic fantasy masterpiece for the first time, but it's serviceable if you're unable to play on PC or a more powerful console — or prefer to do your monster hunting away from a TV. On a full-size screen, however, it suffers to the point where it looks more reminiscent of the 360 generation than the current one.

Nintendad (4/5):
The graphics in The Witcher 3 have clearly been scaled back to perform within the confines of the Nintendo Switch. Aside from that, the full Witcher experience is impressive. Newcomers to the series have a perfect opportunity to jump in and see what amazing world awaits them. Fans who already own the game will have to decide if it's worth picking up for the portability offered by the Switch. Fortunately with hundreds of hours of gameplay and all the DLC, CD PROJEKT RED gives an enticing reason to double dip.

IGN Spain (7.5/10, review in Spanish):
If you have lived on the planet Nintendo in recent decades, you have lost jewelry like this. That has no excuse. Luckily, in that case you won't notice too much when you put the console in the dock and watch its graphics on TV. As for the rest, we recommend that you spend a lot of this theme and enjoy this great game, with all its main and secondary missions, its commissions, its expansions and its sorcerer's potions. Unwind your swords and enjoy, that although in a tiny way and much poorer than normal, what those poor and detexturized graphics tell, it is still worth it.

Gameblog.fr (7/10, review in French):
For fear of losing a few tenths, and especially not to see Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri and the others in an unflattering light, it will be better to indulge in The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition in portable mode. That's good, that's all we asked.

GamesRadar (3.5/5):
A well-functioning port of a brilliant game with an unexpected identity crisis. Given the availability of other platforms, the visual compromise makes this technical marvel a difficult sell to first-timers and veterans.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it's a pretty good conversion. I've never played much of the game, I may get it this week.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really see how this could get anything other than a 9/10 given the portability. Sure it is far from as good looking as the top versions. But it makes less difference when in portable mode, and having this scale of game on the go is insane.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see how this could get anything other than a 9/10 given the portability. Sure it is far from as good looking as the top versions. But it makes less difference when in portable mode, and having this scale of game on the go is insane.

Because portability, and it's value, like everything else in a review, is totally subjective.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
because reviews are subjective and if the visuals are being hurt too much by the switch version to some than the portabillity helps it, they will lower the score.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Witcher 3 has identity crisis? I can't read whole review atm. But can someone explain it to me, talking about gamesradar blurb

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, did we expect bad reviews? The original game reviewed well and it's still an amazing game. Not sure why the reviews would be bad.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Awesome reviews! It seems the framerate is for the most part rock solid thank goodness! The fact this can run that way on a freaking lil' Switch Lite still blows my mind. Just when last year we still had the damn 3DS... Anyways, getting it for sure to support the hell out of this. I still can't believe we're getting The Witcher on a Nintendo console <3

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My thoughts at Ars:

* audio compression is definitely noticeable, especially when speech is sibilant
* cinematic scenes can tank in the 10-15 fps range on occasion
* foliage is the most obvious downgrade in terms of visual fidelity
* mostly 30fps when it counts, but resolution is down there with Doom 2016, which I find harder to tolerate in a slower game

No surprises, really. It's totally playable, and it's clearly compromised, but I didn't run into any game-breaking issues.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Glad it's reviewing well but noting some remarks about the graphics which are to be expected. Hope some people that haven't had access give this amazing game a shot though.

more reviews
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destructoid (no score):
The Witcher III is unquestionably one of the best games to come out within the last five years, and it's still impressive four years after its release. Yes, the Switch version sacrifices some of its beauty for the ability to take it on the go, but it's still a reasonably pretty game, well worth exploring for the deep gameplay, mature storytelling, and unique world. If you haven't yet experienced The Wild Hunt, then the Complete Edition on Switch is a great opportunity to check it out.

TheSixthAxis (no score):
While there are certainly a few tradeoffs that have been made in order to make The Witcher 3 run on the Switch, it's hard not to be impressed. This is arguably one of the most comprehensive experiences to date on the Switch and one I still can't believe actually works on the console. Though there's a few caveats, The Witcher 3 on Switch is well worthy of your time, whether it's is your first chance to play it or your twenty-third.

DarkStation (5/5):
As a landmark title that other games have trouble matching even now, The Witcher 3 flourishes on the Nintendo Switch. With an immense amount of absolutely engaging content, a meaningful narrative, and a meticulously designed world to explore, there's no doubt about the quality of the game. The Switch port manages to maintain all that made the game so great to begin with and made it playable on the go. It's a real technical marvel that just goes on to show how far portable gaming has gone. When one of the greatest games of the decade is now portable, there are no limits anymore.

Nintendo World Report (9.5/10):
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is every bit the amazing game on Switch that it is everywhere else. While the Switch version does of course make compromises, the core vision and game design shine through, assuming you have the brightness turned up. While it is unfortunate that the route finding system is just as bad now as it was at launch, it is ultimately a tiny chip in an otherwise remarkable masterpiece. Whether Witcher 3 will be your entry point into the larger Witcher universe or you're a longtime fan, I cannot recommend it enough. It is a game that to some extent transcends its genre and one that everyone should play. Witcher 3 is not only one of the most impressive of the impossible ports on Switch, it is one of the best games on Switch, and perhaps the finest western RPG of all time.

PLAY! Zine (9.3/10, review in bosnian):
If you own a Nintendo Switch, whether you've played the game before or not, it's worth owning something like this in your collection. I certainly advise you to get a physical copy of the game, so as not to accidentally eject Super Mario Odyssey from the console's internal memory from its thirty gigabytes. But sacrificing a few other titles to play this complete cult title edition is not a terrible thing. In bed, chair, bus or on horseback - play and celebrate "Switcher". Because - the future has arrived!

Game Revolution (4.5/5):
Sure, I may have criticized the visuals for being too blurry at times, as well as minor frame-rate hiccups, but those are just niggles when considering the massive open world that is now available to Nintendo Switch owners. This might not be the "definitive edition" of the game, but its existence makes The Witcher 3 accessible to more players, and that is certainly a good thing. The developers should be commended on their efforts here, and I'm excited to see how much further the Switch can be pushed. Portable Cyberpunk 2077, anyone?!

Switch Player (4.5/5):
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is celebrated as one of the largest and deepest RPGs ever made, and rightly so. The fact that it has made its way onto the Nintendo Switch is a triumph, regardless of the technical limitations that came with porting it. With this, we have one of the greatest games of our time on our beloved little handheld, and I am all about it. Featuring excellent combat, well thought-out progression systems, and nearly endless content, The Witcher 3 is a must-own title on the Nintendo Switch – especially with the standalone DLCs Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine also included on the cartridge as part of the Complete Edition.

Nintenderos (8.8/10, review in spanish):
The low resolution and disparate graphic details are made something to take into account, although the result was obvious if we take into account the hardware of the console in which we are playing, inferior in graphic power to the original platforms. Keep in mind that you have chosen to keep the gameplay against graphic quality, but the original lights and shadows are retained. All this makes it look spectacular, even at the expense of the sawtooth and the low resolution that we will get in some moments.

GamePro Germany
(87/100, review in german):
Granted, after The Witcher 3 was announced during the E3 2019 for Nintendo Switch, I was skeptical at first. After all, CD Projekt RED's role-playing game is not only damn extensive, but also turns out to be a technical masterpiece on the PS4 and Xbox. "That on the switch? Never," I thought. But I was wrong: Developer Saber Interactive has done an incredibly good job porting.

Sure: Due to the weaker hardware, the switch version suffers from blemishes and technical problems that are more noticeable on the TV than on the small screen of the switch. But the great charm of The Witcher 3 ignites anyway in handheld mode. Fighting monsters on the train or in a comfy bed, saving enchanted werewolves or playing gwint against trolls - all this works on the switch's small screen, and that's really impressive.

Vandal (8.5/10, review in spanish):
We are not going to deceive you, it is a luxury to be able to enjoy a work as gigantic as it is anywhere and that already seems to us more than enough reason to justify its purchase, as long as you have not previously played it, because its lack of news makes this a product specially focused on new players. Undoubtedly, a technical miracle worthy of admiration that demonstrates, once again, that the current console of the Grand N still has much to offer.

GamerMAG (8/10, review in russian):
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition for Nintendo Switch is still the same masterpiece as before, but now with the ability to take the game with you. The clarity of the graphics significantly loses to the rest of the consoles, but this is not so noticeable in a portable format, especially given the good optimization and beautiful characters. If you wanted to plunge into the thick atmosphere of Slavic fantasy on the road, then you can safely buy the game. In all other cases, it is better to take a cheaper and more beautiful version for the PC (or other systems).

IGN Italy (8/10, review in italian):
The Witcher 3 for Nintendo Switch is a difficult game to evaluate. Undoubtedly this is a small step backwards compared to the console and PC versions but it cannot be attributed to the laziness of CD Projekt Red or Saber - who instead immediately showed awareness of the limits with which they would have had to collide, perhaps choosing the best compromise to keep the experience as close as possible to the original: after all, we are talking about a game that by extension and content at the moment has no equal on Nintendo's flagship console. The Witcher 3 does not lack defects: it is blurred, lacking in detail and with a compression evident both in visual and sound terms, it brings with it historical flaws that at the time have plagued the original version as a woody combat system and a general seesaw action approach , and yet it has that magnetism from which one cannot escape - how we found ourselves under the influence of Axii. It is not the same and at the same time it is, a contrast that does not prevent him from being once again one of the most engaging, fascinating and best written role-playing games of the last years. It is not the graphics that determine a game at all, and if you know what beats under the translucent patina of an anti-aliasing or draw distance, then you know even if you can go back to galloping on the Continent.

SpazioGames (8/10, review in italian):
What made by Saber Interactive under the control of CD Project Red with The Witcher 3: Complete Edition on Nintendo Switch is unbelievable. Of course, there is a pretty obvious graphic dowgrade compared to the original versions, but the simple possibility of playing Geralt's latest adventure on the Nintendo hybrid is really something that nobody would have hoped for until a year ago. If you have no way to play it elsewhere, run to recover this new edition of The Witcher 3: you won't regret it.

Eurogamer Italy (8/10, review in italian):
So it is a highly recommended game for all those who have not been able to enjoy it on some other platform up to now or for those who have always wanted to play it on the move. The others should take into account the absence of new content, the full price and the technical factor which, predictably, puts the latter version behind those already available on the market for several years.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is still one of the best action role-playing games of this generation, with no ifs or buts.

Multiplayer.it (8/10, review in italian):
The Nintendo Switch version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt arrives on the market silencing a good deal of the voices that already gave it for unplayable. Beyond all expectations, the final adventure (for now) of the witcher is lived and enjoyed with great satisfaction. All this, however, remains heavily dependent on a series of important compromises. Thinking of playing the title in a docked version is the least sensible thing to do, unless you have just any other platform capable of running it, but the risk of rejecting a technical aspect to the limit of the digestible is dangerously high. On the contrary, when it is enjoyed in its portable version, despite a "cinematic" frame rate, the game is still able to surprise. Realizing that you are on a six-inch screen is an awareness that increases enjoyment. Anyone who is close to the idea of cloud gaming could now see Switch's compromises as something that can be overcome in the very near future, but we are always talking about internet usage and still far from being perfected. Too bad for a combat system that, even today, we can't really digest due to non-existent feedback and for a market price that could have been lower.

Everyeye.it (8/10, review in italian):
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition on Switch is a bittersweet compromise, a conversion that heavily sacrifices resolution, general and textures, to preserve all its essence. An important technical work in fact, devoid of cuts that would have betrayed the environmental narrative, solid though tarnished. Let me be clear, this is not the best way to experience the story of Geralt of Rivia and to get lost in his lands, talking on a purely aesthetic level, still gaining in comfort and allowing Nintendo users to enjoy one of the most significant works of the generation with the times and ways that the portable game allows. A work sought and wanted by CD Projekt Red and Saber Interactive, able to honor the commitment and not make fun of the players with a castrated version, making hardware and software coexist in a way that many thought unthinkable, crazy. The vote you read below refers to the mere value of porting, the higher the value of the work itself, the more so if this version is the only one you can access.

Jeuxvideo.com (15/20, review in french):
No, The Witcher 3 is not meant to be played in docked mode. No, it is not resplendent either, although much more correct, nomadic version and yes the framerate coughs a little in the living cities and loads can be long. However, portability has a cost, and this obvious downgrade has been made in favor of a colossal title that delivers its basic adventure and its two extensions in a single cartridge that you can take anywhere with you. This small feat, rather impressive technically it must be admitted, however has a rather special target audience. If you have other ways to discover the game, on home consoles or PC, the Switch version is not optimal and therefore dispensable. However, for the first time or the desire to immerse yourself in the adventure nomad version, The Witcher 3 version Switch is an option to consider seriously, if you accept the logical sacrifices to this nomadic version.

Attack of the Fanboy (3.5/5):
The Witcher 3 has made its way to the Switch and like the other games that have not been developed with the technical specifications of this console in mind, there are some obvious downgrades to the visuals. The Witcher 3 is a game that still impresses though as it has many qualities that shine through and translate well to any platform. It's definitely not the best way to play it, but if you've yet to experience The Witcher 3 and wonder what you've missed this will give you a decent representation of that.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Some reviewers decided not the review The Witcher 3 on Switch but the Switch port of the Witcher 3.

Really weird.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some reviewers decided not the review The Witcher 3 on Switch but the Switch port of the Witcher 3.

Really weird.
i think some reviewers have the mindset that witcher 3 and its quality are already very well known, so people would be interested in the review mostly to see how the game is on switch, not to see how witcher 3 is as a game.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Having a portable, perfectly playable version of W3 on 2016/7 mobile hardware is absolutely insane.

I could see it being great for something like a long flight or train journey where you have access to power.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
i think some reviewers have the mindset that witcher 3 and its quality are already very well known, so people would be interested in the review mostly to see how the game is on switch, not to see how witcher 3 is as a game.
I can give you the overall summary of witcher 3.
It's OK
Not weird at all. The quality of the game is already well established and documented. What most people want to know is if the port does the game justice.
I just don't agree.

I think a reviewer should focus on the overall package. How, considering the limitations, the game holds up ?

The technical aspect should be a focus since it is the question mark regarding the port but when you are giving a score, it should be on the game as a whole.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just don't agree.

I think a reviewer should focus on the overall package. How, considering the limitations, the game holds up ?

The technical aspect should be a focus since it is the question mark regarding the port but when you are giving a score, it should be on the game as a whole.
I don't disagree, but we have reviews for that. Like 80+ outlets reviewed the game in 2015.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Love the game but the graphics/performance put me right off buying this version.

It's impressive they got it running in a playable state on Switch but for me the sacrifices are just too great. 20-30fps. 540-720p. Lots of pop in...not just NPCs randomly appearing but buildings too.

It's a nice thought of being able to play the game on the go but I'd much rather just remote play my PS4 copy to my phone than play the Switch version.

more reviews
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kotaku (no score):
If you've played The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on PC, PlayStation 4, or Xbox One, you'll have to weigh to graphical downgrade against the convenience of having Geralt on-hand at all times. If you've never played The Witcher 3 before then you're in for a treat, no matter the resolution.

Vida Extra (essential, review in spanish):
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition for Nintendo Switch is fantasy and magic, pure adventure and a dream come true for anyone passionate about RPGs. But above all, it offers one of those experiences capable of penetrating with enormous force in the player.

Nintendo Everything (thumbs up):
I generally tend to hold technical proficiency rather high on the list of priorities when discussing Switch ports – after all, most of these games have all existed previously in a more refined form and on much more capable hardware. The real question lies in whether the sacrifices made in the name of portable play are justified, and if the core experience still holds up over time. For me, The Witcher 3 is a game so abundant in creativity and immersive qualities, and so defined by its characters and stories, that the technical shortcomings of the Switch version don't matter a jot to me. The abundance of content contained on that 32GB Switch cartridge is a tantalizing wonder, and although it would be great to be able to take it all in visually as CD Projekt Red originally intended – at a smoother frame-rate and a higher resolution – it's a true credit to the development team that even in such a compromised state, The Witcher 3 still shines as both a pivotal achievement in game design, and a breathtakingly human approach to interactive storytelling.

Gameplanet (9.5/10):
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition is something of a technical marvel on the Switch. Through what seems like techno-black magic, CD Projekt Red and Saber Interactive have ported one of the generations best games with smart compromises made to deliver the full experience. The game plays excellently on the small handheld and while the quirks and bugs found in the original release are still present, they're massively overshadowed by just how incredible the game is in almost every other way. If the Switch is the only console you own, and you're a fan of adult RPGs, it's an essential addition to your Switch library.

Switchaboo (90%):
Sure it may have a graphical downgrade, but how much does that really matter when you're playing The Witcher 3 on the bus? If the downgrade is a bit too steep for you, the game will always be available on other consoles or PC that will bring a much prettier experience; but rest assured that if you do decide to buy the game on Nintendo Switch, you'll be getting one of the greatest games ever made in its entirety and all within the palm of your hands.

4Players.de (85/100, review in german):
I have long wondered if this implementation has yet earned an award. The remarkable thing is that The Witcher 3 on Switch is at least as similar as on the high-performance platforms: it's already drastic cuts that Saber Interactive has made for it. Thus, the visual impression is not only worse than in the original, especially on a large TV due to the low resolution, the elimination of some effects, a late reload of textures and relatively frequent stuttering, he sometimes even exceeds the limit to the faulty. But then you still marvel at impressive light and weather conditions in a vibrant open world and not least finds that the graphic weaknesses on the small screen of the handheld mode 'noticeably less noticeable. Ultimately, the big RPG has lost nothing of its fascination; All in all, therefore, one can just speak of a successful implementation. So, look forward to exciting stories, an interesting world, and watching the consequences of your own doing when you're traveling with Geralt!

Meristation (8.5/10, review in spanish):
The Witcher 3: Complete Edition comes to Nintendo Switch with the entire content of The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: the main game plus the Hearts of Stone and Blood And Wine expansions. A port whose adaptation has suffered reductions in resolution and level of detail, in favor of a performance that will make the laptop experience satisfactory, although not so much in the dock. The adaptation of the gameplay is the most favored aspect, which will make the management of Geralt de Rivia a delight for those who did not enjoy it in previous versions and who can now enjoy the whole adventure in full, which is said soon.

Last edited:

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm re-reading all of the reviews again because I think I want to pick this up for my Switch Lite. The idea of having the full 32GB game on a cartridge running in handheld on the Lite...I can't resist. I already have the complete edition on the PS4 and played the base game all the way through and have a PC capable of playing the complete edition for $15 from Steam, but something's magical about being able to bring this game around on the smaller Lite.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
It is pretty crazy having it on there. I play it mostly docked but yeah handheld is perfectly fine.