• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the Netflix show and I've been replaying The Witcher 3 on PS4 because I never finished it and wanted my witcher fix.

Don't get me wrong, the quests and writing are as good as ever, but boy does the game is clunky and buggy (playing on base PS4). Menus take forever to load and look like they run at 15 fps. There are so many graphical and animation glitches everywhere. I just got a conversation menu disappear on me while talking to an NPC. About 15 minutes later, I got a glitch when environmental sound effects from a cutscene that continue playing even when the scene changed to another location...

I mean I get that it's a huge game and all, but all of these issues are kind of diminishing my enjoyment of the game.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I don't recall the game being a 'buggy mess' on base PS4?

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I played the game on base PS4 in December 2015 and it was fine. There are some issues on PS4 Pro with the recent updates, so I'm still on version 1.51. Version 1.50 got the PS4 Pro enhancements.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I've tried getting into the game two times (PC and PS4 Pro) but dropped it both times due to hating the combat. Will give it another chance on my new One X, but I just don't think the game is for me. Which is a shame because on paper it's everything I love in games.

OP
OP
Tigel

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, I must be really unlucky then, but it's my experience after 4 hours of picking the game back (I'm o.mn Skellige). I was wondering why no one was talking about that.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The only problem I can ever remember having is the menu taking longer to load the more items you had or something like that. Can't recall it being a buggy mess otherwise at all.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My game can't play even 10 Minutes without crashing. It's probably the disc, but it's still weird since I barely used the game

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
The menus are slow still for me on PS4 Pro but the performance has been overall great....except for Novigrad. The game stays at a consistent 30 fps and pretty much never dips but its crashed 6 times so far, all in Novigrad. Thankfully I wrapped up all my quests there yesterday so I'm done with the city for the time being.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
I played a good 100+ hours and completed it on a base ps4 but maybe only ever encountered one or two bugs

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks gorgeous on base PS4, fps is quite strong outside of Novigrad. The menu's are laggy, and it can get a bit buggy during cutscenes at times.

OP
OP
Tigel

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017

Filthy Slug

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I must be really unlucky then, but it's my experience after 4 hours of picking the game back (I'm o.mn Skellige). I was wondering why no one was talking about that.
Nah, I'm playing it through for the first time now, and there are tons of bugs and glitches, including completely losing all dialogue audio. Also, in Novigrad, a weird rainbow polygon shadow just dances under Geralt at times.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing it for the first time on PS4 Pro and it doesn't feel glitchier, there's some framedrops but I expected worse.
What is really bad is the combat and the controls. Like, I just fought 2 bosses in a row and 1 kept getting stunlocked by strong attacks while the other had constant hyperarmor but the IA was so bad I oculd just evade and attack till he dropped dead because he didn't do anything other than attack (and whiff) and stand still.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm playing on Pro and yeah it's not the best experience in the world. But i'm chugging along anyway because I can't carry my save over to my X or PC

For example...
Does not have a sword in any cutscenes, she is always pulling invisible swords out of her sheath.

Some game mechanics are super clunky too

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I've been playing it as well on PS4. I wouldn't say it's buggy, since I'm pretty sure everything has worked as intended so far, it's just janky.

Bigger problem is I'm finding the game quite boring.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It has that typical western RPG jank but nothing I found too out of the ordinary. It was probably one of the better running games of its type honestly.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The inventory menus definitely get slow as molasses once you start having a ton of stuff but never experienced the other things you mentioned.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Played through the GOTY version on base PS4 last year....had one bug where the sound cut out during one long cutscene and the menus aren't great.....other than that it was fine.I was actually impressed with how bug free it was considering how big the game is,I assume it was worse before the GOTY version though.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i had some minor issues at launch like a character disappearing in a hut randomly,the biggest thing was this:

X5VS4h9.jpg

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It actually wasn't, but the last patch fucked it up. It introduced hundreds of new bugs and graphical problems such as horrible LOD loading on Pro that weren't there.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing on Pro and while I haven't noticed menu and bugs, the Framerate has been incredibly inconsistent. One second 30 FPS, next second feeling like it's 15 fps.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
All the horse races bugged out for me. Opponents never spawned which is actually nice because Roach controls like ass.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only issue I've encountered is a dumb design decision to not actually use the analog sticks to their potential for locomotion. The game has one walk speed (too fast) and one jog speed (also too fast) so everything feels janky as fuck just moving through the world. If they let you control movement speed with the analog it'd feel like a proper game and not a jank-pile. This is one area where being designed as a PC game first, with the inherent limitations of m&kb for locomotion, definitely hurt the translation to consoles.

No bugs though, so far.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
that's just the most recent stuff I could find about it, haven't really played the game for a long time.
The second to last patch was fine, but HDR still didn't work. So they patched it again fixing HDR and.... Breaking everything else. Then support ended. That's how we got the Bethesda tier Witcher version we got on PS4 now.

Disgraceful.

Erg

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I also just went through the game for the first time and while I still really enjoyed it, I was a bit disappointed by the bugs. Game crashed on me probably 6 or 7 times, had multiple times where I had to reload because something would break (like enemies not spawning, unable to dive into water).

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The second to last patch was fine, but HDR still didn't work. So they patched it again fixing HDR and.... Breaking everything else. Then support ended. That's how we got the Bethesda tier Witcher version we got on PS4 now.

Disgraceful.

seems that 1.62 fixed some things that got broken with the 1.60/1.61 HDR update tho?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Menus take forever to load and look like they run at 15 fps. There are so many graphical and animation glitches everywhere. I just got a conversation menu disappear on me while talking to an NPC.
Gotta admit this was my PS4 experience as well. Some conversations had actually LOADING TIMES they masked with showing a blurry screenshot of the last image. Menus are laggy as hell even a single effect like skipping a round in Gwent does look like some 15fps or so.

Returned to the PC version and never looked back. Please do yourself a favor and play this game on even a mediocre PC. While the PS4 is far from being "a mess" the experience on PC is still oh-so better.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I played hundred of hours on base ps4 even on lounch date and it was not a buggy mess maybe the framerate yes.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
games like this and a few others are ones that I'm hoping to play on the ps5, the wait is tough though after watching the Witcher.

OP
OP
Tigel

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Returned to the PC version and never looked back. Please do yourself a favor and play this game on even a mediocre PC. While the PS4 is far from being "a mess" the experience on PC is still oh-so better.
Sadly I don't have access to a gaming PC (or any PC for that matter). I guess I'll just bite the bullet and embrace the jank.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
Finally made myself do an entire playthrough over Christmas break on my pro. Luckily didn't hit any glitches, however my game crashed several times after extended play.

RiggyRob

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't find it that buggy when I played on PS4 (although there were some situations where Geralt got trapped in a constant falling animation when sliding down a hill and getting stuck behind some thin trees), but the performance in the menus is pretty bad, it can take full seconds just to switch tabs.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Buggy? Sometimes. But it's lacking in polish and feels quite janky on my Slim. Switching to Witcher 3 from some other games can be jarring, yeah.

Watching W3 being played on PC in 60 fps seems like the way to go to experience the game tbqh.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
As you can see from this thread it didn't.

fair enough but while it has its fair amount of jank, I never encountered what OP is describing except for the slow menus, but that can be remedied by dumping a lot in in your stash. Or maybe I did but didn't consider them that memorabel and pretty much what I expect from an open world game. Will boot it up soon and see what has become of it tho :p

OP
OP
Tigel

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
the performance in the menus is pretty bad, it can take full seconds just to switch tabs.
In RPGs I usually love spending time in menus, looking at my stats, inventory and tweaking my equipment but with Witcher 3 I cringe whenever I know I have to open the menus. It's a shame ā˜¹ļø