• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah fun in small doses, but way too OP for an entire game unless her powers are removed or we play as a very young version of her. I mean I really enjoyed stuff like this as a palette cleanser, but it would get old very quickly:

This reminds me of Shadow of Mordor - does it play somewhat like that? I wrote Witcher 3 off after playing it for an hour many years ago because I didn't enjoy the way it handled. Does it improve somewhat?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Around that framing it's obvious, Geralt would be near the top or Ciri simply because they were the main characters and people spent the most time with them. Some people who have played Witcher 3 haven't even gotten to the Hearts of Stone expansion, that's doesn't really address my point. In a poll you could have 100 people who only played Witcher 3 for 5 hours and so the only character they remember is Geralt.

Have you not participated in these Witcher discussions at all that you have missed how influential the Bloody Baron has been to people's experience? Gaunter O'Dimm is also one of the best villains in a video game, Letho was a great villain in Witcher 2 because he defies convention.

Beyond all of that though, while they are using some of the same characters and locations, these are not the same stories as those told in the books since it all comes after. Though to be fair there are some loose tie ins here and there. Sapkowski certainly deserves a lot of credit but to suggest that he's 99% responsible misses the mark. I wouldn't even know how to put a percentage on that but what you are implying by suggesting 99% is that CDPR did almost nothing.

No I didn't, I specifically said Sapkowski deserves 100% of the merit for the creation of those memorable characters mentioned in the OP, and CD Project deserves 100% of the merit for faithfully portraying said memorable characters on game form.

And I stand by that. Sapkowski is the creator of said characters, and the fictional world they're living in.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of CDProject because they like the same shit that I do...how many people in this forum you think both had read the 8 books before playing the games and was a DM of Cyberpunk 2020 in 1990?

So I'm sure the guys at CDProjekt feel the way I do regarding Sapkowski and his world, as they are even bigger fans of him than me...

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of Shadow of Mordor - does it play somewhat like that? I wrote Witcher 3 off after playing it for an hour many years ago because I didn't enjoy the way it handled. Does it improve somewhat?
The sequences where you play as Ciri are short, linear interludes where you button mash to delete every enemy in your way. The core gameplay stays pretty much the same throughout, it certainly doesn't turn into what you're seeing here.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will about Dragon Age: Inquisition but I think its characters are more memorable than The Witcher 3's. Some of them may have cheesy backstories or character arcs but they all have very distinct personalities and appearances that make them memorable. The Witcher 3's characters... they're very good, really well-written and I definitely wouldn't call them forgettable but I do think that they're a bit less memorable. Some of that may just be because the game's general tone is more subdued and grounded so you don't get as many over-the-top characters.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, TW3 has some great characters. Mass Effect did as well. ME3 with that DLC where they're all in that night club and such (the name escapes me atm)... what a great send off for those characters. The actual ending for ME3 was kinda bad but that DLC made those characters really special for me.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It's a good cast, but there is only one that deserves to be called the best:

Mass.Effect.full.1465610.jpg
It's a good cast, but there is only one that deserves to be called the best:

EN_Birthdaycard_1920x1080.jpg

Mass Effect is a very close second for me :)

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Mass Effect trilogy would like a word with you

Yes, yes, yes!

I would dare say the characters was the most impact a video game series ever had on me. It may not have the best writing, the best plot, hell even the best combat. But as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing in the realm of video games that will ever replace the bonds I made with Shepard and my crew

I miss them so much :(

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Mass Effect trilogy as it excels at a wide range of character types, whereas Witcher 3 falls a bit flat any time it tries for a humorous archetype.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I was going to say Mass Effect but I'd argue I don't remember nor care for 99% of the side characters in that game. Meanwhile I can remember every little side quest and individual character's plights in things like Witcher Contracts and the like. There's definitely SOME of that in ME, but the level of detail and fleshing out in terms of writing of all the goings on during the war and its effect on its citizens is so well handled in Witcher.

The issue is defining "memorable" as just things "you remember" versus going from a more concrete guideline of how much writing their given or how solidified their role/characters are in their world imo.

When you have all this history and well defined character arcs and writing and dialogue it's hard to look at anything outside of the core ME cast (or specifically 1 and 2 as 3's cast was ass in my opinion outside of Garrus and Tali) and say there's a contest. I hope we get more character writing like that in JRPGs moving forward. JRPGs tend to focus on like a core 10 characters and then the rest are all robots. They can have some REALLY good characters, but it doesn't balance out when 90% of the rest of the world are cardboard cutouts (not that it's exclusive to JRPGs, I just notice they tend to focus on a core cast more than any other genre USUALLY).

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I haven't played Shadow of Mordor, so can't compare. I've always enjoyed the combat in The Witcher 3 though. It does definitely change as you level up though. Here's an end game build:

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Yes, I agree. Witcher 3 had some great writing which was refreshing to see when it came out.

It's weird how some people think Geralt is "one note", "one denominational", or flat. I guess it's the voice?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, I agree. Witcher 3 had some great writing which was refreshing to see when it came out.

It's weird how some people think Geralt is "one note", "one denominational", or flat. I guess it's the voice?
its the exterior of Geralt,, the Dirty Harry voice. Also it goes for more realistic medieval fantasy so I assume thats part of it . Since people can get the impression its an edgy dark fantasy about tits and ass with playboy withe male as our protagonist . Oh that Geralt is not as expressive as most video game protagonist , maybe?

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Meh, some people are morons with an agenda. Geralt is definitely a complex character along with most of the main cast.

It's a very myopic point of view to have. Some people really hate his voice because it sounds like over-the-top gruffy voice of someone trying to sound badass. This turned me off at first too, but once you get to know the character you realize there are many sides and his voice doesn't really bother me at all anymore.

I'm actually glad Henry is using a similar voice in the witcher show.

Feb 21, 2019
It's a very myopic point of view to have. Some people really hate his voice because it sounds like over-the-top gruffy voice of someone trying to sound badass. This turned me off at first too, but once you get to know the character you realize there are many sides and his voice doesn't really bother me at all anymore.

I'm actually glad Henry is using a similar voice in the witcher show.
I like the voice...because it absolutely gives one impression, but then Geralt himself doesn't always fit that voice (like when he is goofing around)...Makes for some really funny moments.