• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is that really the same? this is more like a gift card you're applying on an existing advertised price.

That doesn't fly with manufacturers in the real world. You can get away with semantics when you're a big company like Walmart or Amazon and you're trying to get around legal MAP agreements by doing a "See the real price in cart" or special promotions, but manufacturers will absolutely pull their products from retailers who devalue them. (And other retailers will tattle on the ones that are undercutting)

Epic doing this kind of thing at all is pretty brazen and not something most online stores would be able to get away with if they didn't have the money to throw around.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
What if it was Epic that lowered the price, maybe it was selling so well that it was unfeasible for them to continue with the discount? Pure speculation tho.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
On one hand EGS sales are always messy it seems, on the other why are we entitled to discounts?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
What if it was Epic that lowered the price, maybe it was selling so well that it was unfeasible for them to continue with the discount? Pure speculation tho.

Big brain theory right here.

Maybe Epic has so much respect for CDPR that they decided it wasn't right for them to create the perception of devaluation with their coupon.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Yea fuck how the GOTY or whatever edition is always on sale digitally sub $20 on psn but is not eligible with hearts of stone/blood and wine DLC I bought years back. So I have to buy the regular Witcher 3 which is steadfastly chilling at $40+ during the very same sales. Always.......

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And, again, CDPR is making the same either way. The price is never advertised as being $5. It's all in the not-cart cart. And if they didn't want to participate in all of Epic's forms of discounts they shouldn't have put their game on the store in the first place, if they want to be that precious about how it's perceived on GOG.

They are undercutting other online stores (like their own), which CDPR would like to have a good relationship with. They also probably do not receive 100% of the profit from Epic as they would from GOG.

The perceived value of a product is also important. Ask Beats or Apple.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand EGS sales are always messy it seems, on the other why are we entitled to discounts?
Sorry, what?

It would be funny if that were the case, just to see this thread suddenly turn on the decision
It is actually pretty ironic that CDPR wants to value their product highly and Epic has so much Fortnite money to throw around that they are the ones fiscally losing in this scenario, but the lines of communication are so poor that the former is the one making the same amount and the latter is losing out so the former bowed out. That just shows how skewed everyone's view of online game storefronts is.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
They are undercutting other online stores (like their own), which CDPR would like to have a good relationship with. They also probably do not receive 100% of the profit from Epic as they would from GOG.

The perceived value of a product is also important. Ask Beats or Apple.
Epic are only undercutting GOG insofar as they are saying "we're taking the hit on this so you, customer, can pay less for it". If CDPR didn't want that, why even put the game on there!? Why put it on a competing store if you didn't want competition? That's what I'm saying.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
And, again, CDPR is making the same either way. The price is never advertised as being $5. It's all in the not-cart cart. And if they didn't want to participate in all of Epic's forms of discounts they shouldn't have put their game on the store in the first place, if they want to be that precious about how it's perceived on GOG.
Then its not a matter of how much they make as they could have simply delisted the game temporarily. It was just made available today for a 70% discount which is the lowest it has been on all store fronts. That its not advertised anymore like it used to be doesn't mean the game would still be valued at $15 by the consumers.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
the onus is on epic to give devs the option to simply opt out of the sale instead of having to pull this dumb shit

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I was ready to say they probably didn't do it on purpose till I saw it was one cent haha

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic are only undercutting GOG insofar as they are saying "we're taking the hit on this so you, customer, can pay less for it". If CDPR didn't want that, why even put the game on there!? Why put it on a competing store if you didn't want competition? That's what I'm saying.

CDPR saying they want to expand sales to a store like Epic without Epic getting 100% of their sales for the next few months is totally fair.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is CDPR changing the price of their game Epic beeing sleazy?

You guys will latch onto anything to blame Epic for shit that'S out of their hands
Because Epic continues to do shitty things. If it's CDPR pulling this shit than they are just as guilty as Epic. CDPR is a known shit company anyway so it's not like they are blameless.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Then its not a matter of how much they make as they could have simply delisted the game temporarily. It was just made available today for a 70% discount which is the lowest it has been on all store fronts. That its not advertised anymore like it used to be doesn't mean the game would still be valued at $15 by the consumers.
Yeah that's why I said consumer expectations have been decimated by Steam sales over the years. This is literally a coupon for a storefront but yet everyone is talking like everything is cheaper. The store is taking the hit, not the developers.

CDPR saying they want to expand sales to a store like Epic without Epic getting 100% of their sales for the next few months is totally fair.
It's pretty fucking self-defeating if they're wanting to expand to a store known for ludicrous deals, isn't it? That's kinda their own fault at that point (and on Epic for not warning them of the upcoming coupon.)

Edit: Also, getting 88% of $15 from people who might not have ever bought it otherwise if it wasn't $5 out of their wallet (as evidenced in this topic) is a lot better than getting 0% from those same people.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Yeah that's why I said consumer expectations have been decimated by Steam sales over the years. This is literally a coupon for a storefront but yet everyone is talking like everything is cheaper. The store is taking the hit, not the developers.
They are taking the hit while hoping future sales will be made on EGS as well. Why would someone buy on Steam or GoG for $15 if "people just bought it for $5 thanks to Epic distributing free coupons"?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like they found a way around the ludicrous deal and people are attacking them for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, because it's petty and shitty to do what they did rather than actually participate and literally make the same amount of money.

They are taking the hit while hoping future sales will be made on EGS as well. Why would someone buy on Steam or GoG for $15 if "people just bought it for $5 thanks to Epic distributing free coupons"?
Sorry, what? I'm not sure what you're saying here. If your argument is "don't buy on EGS because then your library will be on EGS" then...yeah?

But if companies don't want their games to sell on EGS maybe don't put them on EGS? This is Epic providing value for people by giving them a discount on most anything in the store. Epic's losing money because they're fucking flush with that Fortnite dough and are willing to lose it for the sake of bringing people in, so people buying the games save money because of this, and the developers make the same amount either way.

It should be win-win-win all around but this needless heady crap that Supergiant and CDPR pulled based on the presumptive consumer supposition of value is deflating.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I mean, CDP does have their own store...

Surely it's not wrong of them to push consumers to use their storefront instead of Epics?

Just basic capitalism

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Yea fuck how the GOTY or whatever edition is always on sale digitally sub $20 on psn but is not eligible with hearts of stone/blood and wine DLC I bought years back. So I have to buy the regular Witcher 3 which is steadfastly chilling at $40+ during the very same sales. Always.......
I'm so confused, you bought the DLC before the base game?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, CDP does have their own store...

Surely it's not wrong of them to push consumers to use their storefront instead of Epics?

Just basic capitalism
Yeah, so here's the situation:

Person buys TW3 on GOG at $14.99:
---CDPR makes 100% of $14.99

Person buys TW3 on EGS at $14.99 using coupon that makes it $4.99 for the purchaser:
---CDPR makes 88% of $14.99

Person buys TW3 on EGS at $14.98:
---CDPR makes 88% of $14.98

I don't even think it's on sale on GOG right now, but still this changes nothing about how much they make short of turning off those who would have bought it for $5 of their own money.

If they wanted people to use their store, then they maybe shouldn't have put it on others?

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I'm so confused, you bought the DLC before the base game?
I bought the game at launch, physically, and DLC when they released. That PlayStation and copy of that game were stolen a few years back. I then bought a new one but elected to go all digital, I want to play the Witcher three but the base game is always $40+ even when the GOTY drops as low as 9.99. This is an oddity and I think is happening to DLC owners buy the the content twice.

"You want to dive back in the Witcher? Well you gotta buy this version that bundles content you already own. If you have a problem with that then you could always buy the 'never on sale' and highly marked up vanilla version!"

Not to mention I'm pretty sure my save wouldn't be compatible and I'd have to restart....

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
not that it'd be a "bad" thing but $5 for witcher 3 even in 2020 seems like a hard ask for me

Last edited:

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I bought the game at launch, physically, and DLC when they released. That PlayStation and copy of that game were stolen a few years back. I then bought a new one but elected to go all digital, I want to play the Witcher three but the base game is always $40+ even when the GOTY drops as low as 9.99. This is an oddity and I think is happening to DLC owners buy the the content twice.

"You want to dive back in the Witcher? Well you gotta buy this version that bundles content you already own. If you have a problem with that then you could always buy the 'never on sale' and highly marked up vanilla version!"

Not to mention I'm pretty sure my save wouldn't be compatible and I'd have to restart....
I mean, you could get the physical version of the base game for less than $10...but you already vowed against it....

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
User Warned: Trolling
The game is meh. Combat controls suck, the open world sucks, the main character voice acting is...hmm. after buying at $15, I got into the 2nd map/level/area I put it down cause it was very boring.

It's not dickish for them to not devalue the game. It's more dickish for everyone to rave about the world. Literally those question marks are Ubisoft level but Poland is not pretty whatsoever so even the scenery sucks.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Good for you but that's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I edited my response to the topic in. But ya, nothing wrong with not devaluing or insisting on the game be held to a standard that prevents the very patient waiting for that one sale. I do not like how people consider games to be devalued due to time instead of considering the actual game and what it offers instead.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this rumored to be the next free game? They might be doing people a favor

Unlikely now that the game has been released on the store. It would be a pretty shitty practice to make the game on sale day 1 and to give it for free a week after. Also, the next free games list has leaked and it isn't part of it.

I took the "risk" of buying it after seeing that rumor (it was more speculation than rumor though) because I could refund the game thanks to the refund policy.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Epic eats the cost, but it does devalue the game. I know if I'm about to buy a game, I'll wait if I notice it's been on sale for 5 dollars before.

Weird that they weren't informed of this before, especially since their game just released on the store this week.
"It devalues the game" doesn't make much sense in this case. It's 5 years old game, they are being given away for free. Games are being added on streaming services day one... Developers would still get the full money because 10$ coupon is on Epic.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't CDPR get the exact same amount of money whether people use the coupon or not? As far as I know the discount from the coupon is entirely footed by Epic.

Now that I think of it, it would actually make a lot of sense for Epic to be the ones asking for it to be made ineligible. They lose money on each TW3 copy sold this way, and if people are buying them by the truckload...

They are losing money on any product priced below like 100$ where coupon is used.

For everyone here is an example imagine if GOG is smaller retailer in your neighborhood that is there for years, then comes Epic (imagine if it is new Wallmart) and GOG agrees to sell their products there. Then one day Epic decides to run sale and because it is so big and has money to burn gives everyone coupon. So at the day of the sale there are 0 customers at GOG because product is not priced the same anymore, and GOG can't match the price.

I am more surprised that companies with their own store are on Epic because they are damaging themselves if they are not willing to match Epic prices. But I guess it is more important for them to claim how they have X amount registered users than how much money they earn from their store.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Same reason i lapsed their last coupon and will likely lapse this one.

I wanted to buy Outer Wilds but it was always lower than 15$ making it unavailable for these coupons.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
They should have just made the price 25 bucks and eligible for the coupon, saving all those controversial buzz.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
People on here will literally defend any dev as long as they make good games. Crazy.

I like CDPR, but they deserve to get shit for this. It wouldn't be so bad if the game started out at 14.98, but to drop the price by a fucking penny to avoid this weird perceived "value" of the game is bizarre. Chances are the people that haven't bought it at $14.99 wont buy it at $14.98, so you really aren't doing anything to maintain whatever perceived value you think you have without the $10 coupon. net-net, its a bad look for CDPR

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Well... It's not like they're doing anything wrong. I also wouldn't want people thinking "oh well, I'll buy it next time it's $5" about my product. $15 is already a very low price, I wouldn't even drop the price lower than around $40 if I had such and acclaimed and sought for product in my portifolio.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
strange, who pays for the 10 bucks?
I can't imagine epic just hands them out and basically steals the 10 bucks from the publishers/devs, right? or even a fraction of it?
so it must be epic paying them. but why would cdpr care then?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
strange, who pays for the 10 bucks?
I can't imagine epic just hands them out and basically steals the 10 bucks from the publishers/devs, right? or even a fraction of it?
so it must be epic paying them. but why would cdpr care then?
EGS pays the $10. CDPR care because they want to maintain perceived value of Witcher 3 (keep it a $15 game, not a $5 game) and because they don't want EGS to be seen as the best place to get CDPR titles. They have their own store that they'd rather people go. So when EGS massively undercuts them on their own game, it's bad for them. They're right on the verge of releasing this other game you may've heard of, after all.