• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I am torn. On one hand, I ain't a fan of EGS, but dropping it by a penny is a dickish thing to do no matter how you cut it. If this is intentional, I ain't sure it's Epic being the assclowns in this situation.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If EA or someone a lot of people didnt like pulled something similar there would be a lot of more pissed folks.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Seems weird especially since Epic are the ones who take the hit with the coupons. CDPR are getting $15 either way (or their respective cut of $15 that is)

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
No work around? Like buying another very cheap game or $1 dlc.
The Epic Games Store hasn't implemented certain cutting edge technology yet, such as the "SHOPPING CART". You have to understand that a "SHOPPING CART" isn't something you see every day: it is the culmination of human technology, the pinackle. Only a select few have been able to implement such an incredible feature. In fact, by working towards implementing it, Epic is running the risk of the "SHOPPING CART" becoming self-aware and destroying human civilization. They can't rush it. I hope you can understand.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
The fun thing about this is that TW3 is currently $5.98 for me without a coupon.

9GCElh.png

The fuck

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Maybe they don't want to lower the value of their multi award winning game to 5$, after the sale is over people are still going to check the game out even on their own store GOG. Perceived value and all, could be wrong.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
How is CDPR changing the price of their game Epic beeing sleazy?

You guys will latch onto anything to blame Epic for shit that'S out of their hands

Because Epic is known to not communicate with publishers about sales. Publishers literally had to pull game from the Epic Store before because they didn't want to be part of that promotion and Epic didn't have other way to exclude them. CDPR set the price 14.99 because that is price they are running with on sales, they probably didn't know that Epic will toss coupon that would bring that to 4.99. It doesn't matter if Epic covers the cost, CDPR doesn't want to see that Witcher 3 costs 4.99.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
So this whole perceived value thing...isn't the cat already out of the bag, because it has already been bought for $5 now? What's difference does changing it a couple days later make? It's already been had for cheaper since launch on EGS so whatever concern they could have had was rendered moot the moment they could even have said concern; it's not like the Internet is going to forget it could be had for that price for a while.

Again, the game never actually shows as being $5. It's all in the (not really a cart) cart and they make the same money they would have without the deal. That's why I think it's scummy and hubristic and yet again poor communication between publishers and Epic; CDPR wants their game to be available to as many eyes as possible but don't want to take whatever imaginary perception hit they would by participating with what happens on the store, like they're above such things.

If you're somehow too good to have a coupon (that isn't even taking money away from you) applied to your five year-old game on a newer storefront because you're worried about your product appearing to be too cheap, maybe just don't put it there?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Epic store doesnt have a cart
Oh man some people are trying so hard to defend Epic here and I can't figure out why lol

giphy.gif

They don't have a shopping cart
The Epic Games Store hasn't implemented certain cutting edge technology yet, such as the "SHOPPING CART". You have to understand that a "SHOPPING CART" isn't something you see every day: it is the culmination of human technology, the pinackle. Only a select few have been able to implement such an incredible feature. In fact, by working towards implementing it, Epic is running the risk of the "SHOPPING CART" becoming self-aware and destroying human civilization. They can't rush it. I hope you can understand.
Lmao. I had no idea, I only use Steam, and GOG. 😂

What kind of store doesn't have a cart in 2020. 😳

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Maybe they don't want to lower the value of their multi award winning game to 5$, after the sale is over people are still going to check the game out even on their own store GOG. Perceived value and all, could be wrong.

Base game is almost free on Gamepass for console anyway.
As with any game that was on Gamepass (or PS Plus), everyone unloaded their copies of the game so the value dropped through the roof on that platform.
I know this is on PC, but If they didn't care about the value of the game in that case, why would they care now?

Though, you could argue that they would make some money by selling the 2 expansions to potential buyers.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So this whole perceived value thing...isn't the cat already out of the bag, because it has already been bought for $5 now? What's difference does changing it a couple days later make? It's already been had for cheaper since launch on EGS so whatever concern they could have had was rendered moot the moment they could even have said concern; it's not like the Internet is going to forget it could be had for that price for a while.

Again, the game never actually shows as being $5. It's all in the (not really a cart) cart and they make the same money they would have without the deal. That's why I think it's scummy and hubristic and yet again poor communication between publishers and Epic; CDPR wants their game to be available to as many eyes as possible but don't want to take whatever imaginary perception hit they would by participating with what happens on the store, like they're above such things.

If you're somehow too good to have a coupon (that isn't even taking money away from you) applied to your five year-old game on a newer storefront because you're worried about your product appearing to be too cheap, maybe just don't put it there?

Remember that CDPR has their own store. And again CDPR set the price that they always set on all stores, they just probably didn't know that Epic will run coupon promotion. And again this is not first time that this happens.

IllumiNate

Nov 18, 2018
Canada
I saw the incredible value and bought it for $7CAD yesterday. I'm glad I did, I already own it on the PS4 but man those load times my god. Looking forward to firing this up with some mods

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This is not the first time a publisher do this. In the previous seasonal Epic sale, some other games did exactly the same thing.

It seems that the publishers aren't aware how the sale works.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The fun thing about this is that TW3 is currently $5.98 for me without a coupon.

9GCElh.png
I saw happened yesterday but I still used the coupon when I bought it thinking it was only $5 as well :/
Maybe its like an automatic thing, showing the price with the coupon in your account. Gamestop does that with their monthly $5, always trips me up whenever I see a game thinking I could the $5 only to see that its already discounted XD.

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason some games were being priced too low and they adjusted. I'm not sure what outrage is about here. We see exclusions for sales and price mistakes everywhere else in retail. How is this different? People are not owed anything from these sales.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I saw happened yesterday but I still used the coupon when I bought it thinking it was only $5 as well :/
Maybe its like an automatic thing, showing the price with the coupon in your account. Gamestop does that with their monthly $5, always trips me up whenever I see a game thinking I could the $5 only to see that its already discounted XD.
Nope. I checked and doesn't use the coupon.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I've been a pretty big fan of what Epic is doing lately like actually paying for games, entire games to get made not just some BS exclusivity deal with a game that's already been kickstarted or an almost entirely completed game. Also waiving the first $1mil in royalties for indie devs.

This is just some of Epics storefront incompetence rearing its ugly head again. Developers should be able to chose what price they want their games to be sold for and if they want to take part in a promotion that lowers the price of their game an additional $10. That the storefront solution for not participating seems to either be lowering the price to make it ineligible, removing it from the store entirely or raising the price to make it the price devs want it to be sold for is embarassing on Epics part. Whether devs are compensated for the difference is frankly irrelevant to what some of these devs want their game to be sold for and valued at (Also as far as I can tell the historical best price for Witcher 3 GOTY is $15.)

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Remember that CDPR has their own store. And again CDPR set the price that they always set on all stores, they just probably didn't know that Epic will run coupon promotion. And again this is not first time that this happens.
Yeah but CDPR is still making their 88% of $15 in this case. Like, pre-price drop, they were making 88% of $14.99 (even with coupon use). Now, they are making 88% of $14.98 (without coupon use). That's why they shouldn't give a fuck unless it's only about perception.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I understand a publisher wanting to maintain a perceived value to their games, because the price-tag of where a game has been over time effects its overall sales curve. I also understand people being bummed that a promo no longer applies to a popular game.

It's actually good we're to a point where digital storefronts let publishers shift prices on a day-to-day basis, to account for storewide promos. That's all this is; Epic has a storewide promo, and CDPR doesn't want one of their big titles to appear to be $5. This isn't unusual or bad, and it's really easy to see who's trying to wrangle an easy-to-understand situation into a talking point for some existing gripe of theirs.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but CDPR is still making their 88% of $15 in this case. Like, pre-price drop, they were making 88% of $14.99 (even with coupon use). Now, they are making 88% of $14.98 (without coupon use). That's why they shouldn't give a fuck unless it's only about perception.

It doesn't matter if they want their game to be equally priced on all stores, including theirs. Just because Epic has money to burn (they are literally losing money on each sale where coupon is used) it doesn't mean that some developers want to participate (for whatever reason).

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Is the $10 off promotion coming out of the dev's pocket or Epic's pocket? If Epic were fronting the $10 I don't see why CD Project Red would care. If it's coming out of the Dev's pocket, of course they care that Epic is trying to short them $10.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Is the $10 off promotion coming out of the dev's pocket or Epic's pocket? If Epic were fronting the $10 I don't see why CD Project Red would care. If it's coming out of the Dev's pocket, of course they care that Epic is trying to short them $10.

Epic is paying it. And developers/publishers care about value perception. And on top of that CDPR has their own store and doesn't want to sell game on competing store for lower price than it was on their own store.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all should try out for the olympics with the mental gymnastics being performed here to protect our lord and savior CDPR

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This is petty af

But it's also pretty funny, so hey

I guess crossing the $10 barrier would impact the game's value perception in a way that CDPR isn't ready for yet. I know I wouldn't recommend TW2 for more than $5 nowadays with how many times it's been discounted below that.

I'd love to be the guy who in a few weeks will have to bump the price by $0.01 once the sale is over.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all should try out for the olympics with the mental gymnastics being performed here to protect our lord and savior CDPR
And some should try to understand retail. The prices are set by the publisher not the distributor, its like this for many lines of business not just games. The producer of an item sets the published floor price. To go below the distributor has to have permission. This has nothing to do with just CDPR. This is true for many brands and different product types all over the world.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Or maybe it's a bit more nuanced than that? I don't care about CDPR's reputation, so I have no intention of defending them. Epic's pitch to publishers is that they won't devalue the games on EGS, and they've already done store-wide sales in the past that publishers were not notified ahead of time (Hades, as an example). It's not the first time this has happened specifically on the EGS. But hey, it's weekend Era so lol recycled mental gymnastics joke.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Australians can still cash in for this which is fortunate since we get fucked on price most of the time

TW3.png

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I hesitated yesterday. All good, I just wanted to check it out since I built a PC. I'll just use that coupon on something I haven't played yet.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
And some should try to understand retail. The prices are set by the publisher not the distributor, its like this for many lines of business not just games. The producer of an items sets the published floor price. To go below the distributor has to have permission. This has nothing to do with just CDPR. This is true for many brands and different product types all over the world.
Retail? So if Target gives you a $10 gift card to use in their store should Kraft be able to say "no, not our products" and thus it's only applicable to ketchup and mustard not made by Heinz? Or would people call that insane?

Australians can still cash in for this which is fortunate since we get fucked on price most of the time

TW3.png
As this post shows, it literally says "Epic Coupon" in the payment page to account for the difference. The game isn't shown as being $5.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's up to them what they feel their game is worth not EGS. They've done these things before without notifying developers.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yes, but $5 is even better. And with Witcher 3 getting a sales boost due to the popularity of the Netflix show, this seems like CDPR trying to cash in as much as possible.

Doesn't CDPR get the exact same amount of money whether people use the coupon or not? As far as I know the discount from the coupon is entirely footed by Epic.

Now that I think of it, it would actually make a lot of sense for Epic to be the ones asking for it to be made ineligible. They lose money on each TW3 copy sold this way, and if people are buying them by the truckload...

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The game came out on the store the day the sale started. CDPR didn't want to devalue their game immediately. It's fine. $15 is still a steal for GOTY Edition.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
Retail? So if Target gives you a $10 gift card to use in their store should Kraft be able to say "no, not our products" and thus it's only applicable to ketchup and mustard not made by Heinz? Or would people call that insane?

Aren't Nintendo first party games always excluded from Target's 'Buy 2 Get 1 Free' promos on video games? Do people call that insane?

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It´s pretty simple, CDPR wants the game to be valued at $15 minimun, Epic was selling it for $5, CDPR don´t care if Epic will pay then in full, they want the value of the game to be $15 minimun, end of story.