• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 3 is so good. Definitely game of this gen for me. I dont see how another witcher game can come anywhere close without Geralt though. He's just too integral to the franchise.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
For all it's success (the quests, the world building, the environment design, the music, the voice acting, etc.) and it's faults (the combat? I'll admit I liked it especially at the end game with a full power set), the most important thing it did was raise the bar for all other open world games. You can see it's influence in Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey. It will probably be a while before it gets dethroned, but I look forward to that day. Because with how special this game was, whatever replaces it will be something fantastic.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
There will be another Witcher game without a doubt, but who would you like to see as a protagonist: Ciri or a user-created Witcher?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There will be another Witcher game without a doubt, but who would you like to see as a protagonist: Ciri or a user-created Witcher?
neither. But if i have to choose i rather choose a defined protagonist, We have too many games with user created main characters

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Geralt's 4th wall break moment in Blood & Wine really broke me. There aren't many game series that can leave feeling melancholy and wistful despite being fully satisfied. I didn't want to leave.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
I've been considering picking this up for PS4, now I've worked my way through most my backlog. How's it run on the PS4 Pro currently? Any major issues?

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
What makes Geralt so great is that he isn't a create-a-character, he's a mostly defined person with a deep connection to many people, places, and events in the world. Him losing his memory at the start of the first game gives the player an opportunity to redefine him a bit within that context, but everything you can have him do still "makes sense."

They're going the create-a-character route with Cyberpunk, so maybe that's what they've got planned for The Witcher as well, but I'd personally love to play another mostly defined, fleshed out character like Ciri in the next game.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Truly the best world building. I've triple dipped on this game. Still never beat it, but I'll be damned if the Baron hasn't gotten his three times.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I'm a bit jealous of the folks who really got into it. After Souls, the combat in Witcher 3 just felt soooo antiquated and rough, so I only played it for the story and only for around 10 hours or so, then my interest dropped. Tried to get into it twice, but it just couldn't hold my interest.

In terms of Open World games, the world in Breath of the Wild felt much better constructed. Yeah, it wasn't this realistic medieval world, but it was fun to traverse, which I thought Witcher 3 was severely lacking in.

Anyway, I'm happy for CDPRs success, we need more strong Studios in Europe that create kickass stuff :)

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Simply one of the best games I have ever played. An open world RPG with incredibly cinematic story telling.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Still one of the best games I've ever played. I had dropped off the "AAA" wagon for a long time between PS3 and PS4 and mostly played a few games on PC or when things happened on deep sale.

When I finished DA:Inquisition I was recommended Witcher 3 and I was like "oh okay this look cool" and hadn't read any of the books or anything before playing.

From the first conversations and exploring and talking with NPCs I knew this was something special. It was the first time I had felt so attached to a world since Mass Effect. And now I own all the games and most the books.

People talk about the combat a lot and I don't know if it's because I played on PC instead of PS4 or what, but I never really had a problem. Levelled up Quen early on and decimated dudes. I also loved that I had to get into the lore, prepare oils, prep potions, etc. Really made me love the encounters more and get invested. Hearing a monster and/or knowing what monster I'm going to fight, looking at the lore entries, figuring out what signs and oils work best against them, etc. I'm all about that.

Oct 27, 2017
Main menu theme was the first thing that made me think:" ok, this is going to be an awesome game".

What an adventure it was. Finished it two times, more than 400 hours. I almost ruined it by following all those damn question marks on the map, though.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
The greatest of all time for me. I remember studying those trailers over at the old site, and just being super excited for some of the best storytelling ever created. I'll never forget searching for all the armor pieces for the best fashion , and getting so excited about each expansion. My favorite game of the gen no doubt.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played it for the first time last year. Truly one of the greatest games of all time.

And I enjoyed the combat.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
You can go right into the DLC. You can opt to get a character leveled appropriately for the DLC content.
Wtf. I lost my base disc ages ago without having finished the game despite reaching Skellige and bought the wild Hunt version about a week ago and it wouldn't let me use my saves (ridiculous) I was loathe to play the whole game again but started because I didn't think I had another option. I must have missed it somehow

I suppose it's for the best I restarted since I don't recall as much of the story as I'd like

As for the combat, at the time I thought it was fine but four years later it's definitely janky. I'm having fun despite it but the dodging and rolling is really imprecise and I'm often just flailing around. Even geralt just walking around is janky. Getting caught on little rocks etc. Just not very fluid. It's contributed to the age of the game but I'm enjoying it anyway. It's still one of the most atmospheric games I've played and the writing is still top notch. Can't wait to see what they do with cyberpunk

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
best AAA rpg I ever played

and this is even after acknowledging its flaws, like the rushed ending/last arc

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I enjoyed it, but I felt it was a little too long, I was beginning to lose interest at the end and started rushing through it. It really is a time investment.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game of the generation easily. I mentioned this in another thread, that whenever someone mentions this game, it makes me want to reinstall and replay it all over again (a la deus ex)

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Sounds odd but I wish I could love it.

There is something about the Geralt voice actor that rubs me up the wrong way and completely puts me off playing.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried getting into it due to all the hype around it but after 20 hours of trying I just stopped.

The combat/gameplay, story etc. were doing nothing for me and the Witcher vision stuff was boring.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I love this game so much but it is mainly due to the story. So many interesting side and main stories, and the DLCs are simply god-tier. Gameplay wise it's serviceable at best, in and out of combat. It wasn't a big deal for me on my first playthrough but each time I tried to come back to it I just couldn't play for much long. If it had good gameplay it would be my GoTG.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I hope The witcher 4 has a character creator.

At some point i kinda wanted a Ciri DLC for The Witcher 3 but well, maybe she will star The Witcher 4.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. I lost my base disc ages ago without having finished the game despite reaching Skellige and bought the wild Hunt version about a week ago and it wouldn't let me use my saves (ridiculous) I was loathe to play the whole game again but started because I didn't think I had another option. I must have missed it somehow

I suppose it's for the best I restarted since I don't recall as much of the story as I'd like

As for the combat, at the time I thought it was fine but four years later it's definitely janky. I'm having fun despite it but the dodging and rolling is really imprecise and I'm often just flailing around. Even geralt just walking around is janky. Getting caught on little rocks etc. Just not very fluid. It's contributed to the age of the game but I'm enjoying it anyway. It's still one of the most atmospheric games I've played and the writing is still top notch. Can't wait to see what they do with cyberpunk

I can't speak about the multiple versions but I originally played on PC, bought it again on Xbox One to try out the X Enhanced stuff, then reinstalled this morning on PC. I don't remember the exact process on Xbox, but on PC my saves were either gone or incompatible, and it was pretty in-your-face about asking whether I was starting the base game, Heart of Stone, or Blood and Wine. I opted to just go with the main campaign.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We're close to 9 years since RDR was released as well I think. May is not a bad not a bad month to release a gigantic game