• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that so few people are actually commenting on that ending shows that they aren't actually watching the video lol.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
You could do "PS1 style" visuals but they would need to be romanticized and look like what you "remember" and not like they actually looked. It is pretty much exactly what happens with pixel art. No 8 bit or 16 bit games look half as good as today's indies.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
The writing was better than the visuals were tbh.
They were both top tier for the time period. Compare vagrant Story to MGS. In MGS they don't even having moving mouths or eyes. The art direction is also superb and the movement/transformations they had were amazing for the time.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Blasphemy, Vagrant Story is gorgeous.
Yeah Vagrant Story is a gorgeous game
I'd honestly take a low poly PS1/late 90's PC look over yet another 8-16 bit indie game.
Yep...

Just gonna drop some gifs in here.

Chrono Cross
DelightfulFriendlyHorseshoecrab-small.gif

FF IX
tumblr_n8anqykcme1tzeen3o3_500.gif

Legend of Mana
giphy.gif

Megaman Legends
f18d8cd090d90e584279906615cd3b98.gif

Vagrant Story
z2beGlC.gif

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
the fog is way too close, IMO. don't think being "accurate" in this game works. retro stylings should be more of a rose-tinted view of the past to be most effective. even more so when doing 3D

It's running on PS1 hardware.

Edit - Seems similar to "Nightmare creatures" culling distance

nightmare-1.png

Triss is my waifu also.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017

Love these. Surprised there aren't more indies that go for this style instead of pixel art.

They're way too many already. I find this art style ugly as sin, it made me drop gaming back in the mid nineties berore getting used to it at the end of the gen, coming from state of the art pixel art to this mess was really harsh at the time

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
They're way too many already. I find this art style ugly as sin, it made me drop gaming back in the mid nineties berore getting used to it at the end of the gen, coming from state of the art pixel art to this mess was really harsh at the time
To each their own. I find basically all pixel art to be unattractive.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, if anything there is an increased amount of indies going for PS1 style over the last few years, specially in the horror genre.

I'm not particularly fond of the early 3D style of the PS1 but I gotta say, in this case, it works really well. It sort of adds to the whole eerieness of the visuals kind of like film grain and lens artifacts can add to a horror movie. I definitely think horror games have a ton of room for experimentation with visuals. Here's an example of a horror game that uses this sort of old silent film look to achieve ultimate creepiness.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 still has some stunners. The N64 is actually the worst in terms of aging. Almost all of those games in that library look terrible today.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 still has some stunners. The N64 is actually the worst in terms of aging. Almost all of those games in that library look terrible today.

no way.
3D N64 games such as Zelda, Banjo, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Starfox 64 etc etc have aged much better than the majority of ps1's library.