• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Why doesn't my Switch look that colourful? :(
Because those are stills taken with a camera, and depending on the exposure they can exagerate brightness and saturation of the image.

Can't wait to see this in depth, and play it. If anybody had said games like this would be possible on Switch when it came out, they would have been dragged by the usual concern trolls, but, well, here it is...

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because those are stills taken with a camera, and depending on the exposure they can exagerate brightness and saturation of the image.

Can't wait to see this in depth, and play it. If anybody had said games like this would be possible on Switch when it came out, they would have been dragged by the usual concern trolls, but, well, here it is...

Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

I've been playing Fortnite recently more on switch than other platforms and at times it's such a Hateful experience (especially team rumble) I wonder why I even do it to myself.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If it means more people who previously didn't have the opportunity to play will now be able to play it, then things have to go very wrong to make it someone they 'should' not do. People love to play DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 on the Switch, and DOOM Eternal will have a good userbase on Switch as well imo. People expect Witcher 3 to be a bit worse than those. If the game runs dreadful like ARK before the patch (apparently the after patch situation is better? Footage is lacking, though), then yeah, that's clearly too low a performance to be deemed good enough. However, ARK itself runs way worse the Witcher 3 on other platforms as well, so expecting ARK level of performance/resolution does not make sense.

Different people have different preferences and demands of a game, and plenty of folks are willing to take a large cut in resolution and occasional frame rate instability if it means they can play a game portably.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it means more people who previously didn't have the opportunity to play will now be able to play it, then things have to go very wrong to make it someone they 'should' not do. People love to play DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 on the Switch, and DOOM Eternal will have a good userbase on Switch as well imo. People expect Witcher 3 to be a bit worse than those. If the game runs dreadful like ARK before the patch (apparently the after patch situation is better? Footage is lacking, though), then yeah, that's clearly too low a performance to be deemed good enough. However, ARK itself runs way worse the Witcher 3 on other platforms as well, so expecting ARK level of performance/resolution does not make sense.

Different people have different preferences and demands of a game, and plenty of folks are willing to take a large cut in resolution and occasional frame rate instability if it means they can play a game portably.

I'd have agreed with you before I spent some hours playing Fortnite on switch, there's time I despise the performance and at those times I think they shouldn't have ported the game because it's a horrible experience.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'd have agreed with you before I spent some hours playing Fortnite on switch, there's time I despise the performance and at those times I think they shouldn't have ported the game because it's a horrible experience.
You know you can just not play the game on Switch right

One person's bad experience is another person's perfectly playable, and that's not up to you to decide

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Alright, that's fine, but I hope you do realise that that is your personal opinion, and not something everyone necessarily feels the same about. I have read plenty of people who found DOOM or Wolfenstein 2 unplayable on Switch, while others found it perfectly okay to play and enjoyed it being available anywhere, for example.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

So.. Should the millions of people that are enjoying the game stop having fun because you prefer to play it on different hardware?

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It's cool they're releasing it on Switch. What's even cooler, that they seemingly found a right partner to do a port.

CD Projekt tried to work with other external companies in the past on ports and expansions for their games, but everything ended up cancelled. So it's good, maybe we will see previous The Witcher games on modern consoles as well.

Nov 3, 2017
It's cool they're releasing it on Switch. What's even cooler, that they seemingly found a right partner to do a port.

CD Projekt tried to work with other external companies in the past on ports and expansions for their games, but everything ended up cancelled. So it's good, maybe we will see previous The Witcher games on modern consoles as well.

This is just my own speculation but I really believe that they might be working on a remake of The Witcher 1. In a financial report, they stated that they plan to release two AAA games by 2021. One is obviously C2077 while the other game is unknown. I am doubtful that CDPR has the capacity to work on two AAA projects concurrently unless the other project already has some sort of base to work from.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
This is just my own speculation but I really believe that they might be working on a remake of The Witcher 1. In a financial report, they stated that they plan to release two AAA games by 2021. One is obviously C2077 while the other game is unknown. I am doubtful that CDPR has the capacity to work on two AAA projects concurrently unless the other project already has some sort of base to work from.

The other project is apparently Cyberpunk-related, a smaller-scaled RPG utilising CP2077 tech. But this wasn't properly confirmed, though.

That said, I would love to see The Witcher 1 remake. But the more I think about it, this would require serious amount of resources. The Witcher 1 was developed on a different tech, PC-oriented engine with constraints that made it a vastly different experience than The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3.

If they wanted to make it more modern, they would need to reimagine the whole game - combat, exploration, how to translate world from module-based into more open environment, fix quest design (TW1 had a lot of fetch-quests), issues with pacing and backtracking, or even do something about that horrible romance cards.

But with a right partner, they could definitely do it. They actually tried to do a semi-remake of The Witcher 1 in the past on PS3 and Xbox 360. It was called The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf, but it was cancelled because of financial troubles and some issues with a developer who was tasked to make this project.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

I've been playing Fortnite recently more on switch than other platforms and at times it's such a Hateful experience (especially team rumble) I wonder why I even do it to myself.
I only play Fortnite very occasionally, but I find that the regular mode runs just fine, keeping the 30FPS all the time, and that it looks really good. (A lot better than the phone versions, which are missing a ton of geometry and effects)

As of late, on my Switch, I replayed DOOM in Ultra-Violence pretty recently, I replayed Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, I played some Warframe, I played some Crash Bandicoot Trilogy... All games that people deemed impossible, and which are whole, very enjoyable experiences in portable mode, with headphones.
From the impressions, I have no doubt The Witcher 3 will be the same.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

What absolute nonsense lol you are free to have your own opinion on the game / its performance but saying it should not be ported is straight up laughable. The Switch / Mobile version has made hundreds of millions for EPIC, not porting it to those platforms would be beyond stupid

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I understand people can only play portable, but if you have a choice in the matter please do not play the game in these conditions.

The Witcher 3 it's not just a well written story and a huge games, it's also natural beauty a losing yourself in a breathtaking environment.

A third of the charm of the game is going to be lost on Switch. Roaming in the woods will just not be the same.

P.S

People are curious for Novigrad, but I am more curious for Beauclair's result.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The Witcher drags on and on with quests that have a lot of pointless traversal, so I urge everyone to play as much handheld as possible, so you can fully immerse yourselves without feeling the need to rush through it in the limited screen time that you have. You will gain a third of the charm on the Switch that was lost on the other platforms.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand people can only play portable, but if you have a choice in the matter please do not play the game in these conditions.

The Witcher 3 it's not just a well written story and a huge games, it's also natural beauty a losing yourself in a breathtaking environment.

A third of the charm of the game is going to be lost on Switch. Roaming in the woods will just not be the same.

P.S

Nah I'm good thanks already got the game preordered and I don't think I'm going to go back to either of the PlayStation or Xbox versions that I do own once it releases. Thank you for the concern though.

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

P.S

Im good, thanks for your concern <3

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Expecting a lot of goal post movement in the next couple of days.
As always.
The Witcher drags on and on with quests that have a lot of pointless traversal, so I urge everyone to play as much handheld as possible, so you can fully immerse yourselves without feeling the need to rush through it in the limited screen time that you have. You will gain a third of the charm on the Switch that was lost on the other platforms.
Pretty much, this. I don't expect I'd have near enough time to enjoy the game if I had to be playing on the TV. Besides, people really underestimate how immersive can be playing games in portable mode, in a darkened room, with the excellent screen the Switch has, and headphones.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
People care too much about how other people will experience the game. Switch players don't need your pity lol

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

P.S

If I wanted to play the Witcher 3 on a TV I'd done it years ago. The only fact I'm considering playing it now is that I can play it in handheld. And as most handheld gamers, I am used to games not running as good as on more powerful hardware. That's basically the constant compromise we're onboard with.

Oct 26, 2017

P.S

I have to vehemently disagree here. Yeah the vistas are nice to look at, but beyond the initial wow factor the overworld of W3 hardly matters beyond providing a thematic background to the stories unfolding.
All of the memorable moments that come from the environment are small scale, hand crafted and specifically placed by the team. Those will all be there, and their graphical fidelity rarely matters as much as you pretend with your grandstanding plea.

Getting lost is actually quite impossible unless you disable most of the HUD.

Witcher3s biggest strength lies in all the small little vignettes that the world has been filled with, not some romantic Hans Kammerlander Mountain vistas.

So no, if people want to play this on the go, fuck off with telling them not to bother and maybe miss out on one of the best written and lovingly crafted games in the past decade.

Also this comes from someone that played the game for over 300 hours maxed out with the HD Reworked mod on PC, and I still can't wait to get this to play in handheld mode.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
So you know because you have already played it on Switch? Enlighten us, please.
Do you really want to play the card "we have not seen it yet"? With the Witcher 3's vegetation and scope?

Why do you have to take this kind of thing personally is beyond me. We already have the reveal trailer where some environments can be seen. But sure, let's play the sceptic card

If I wanted to play the Witcher 3 on a TV I'd done it years ago. The only fact I'm considering playing it now is that I can play it in handheld. And as most handheld gamers, I am used to games not running as good as on more powerful hardware. That's basically the constant compromise we're onboard with.
I usually play all my games on switch if I have the choice. This remark was made for the Witcher 3 particularly. I am not talking about graphical setbacks, I do not care about those, I am talking about atmosphere and Immersion which are going to be tainted by lesser vegetation etc.

I have to vehemently disagree here. Yeah the vistas are nice to look at, but beyond the initial wow factor the overworld of W3 hardly matters beyond providing a thematic background to the stories unfolding.
All of the memorable moments that come from the environment are small scale, hand crafted and specifically placed by the team. Those will all be there, and their graphical fidelity rarely matters as much as you pretend with your grandstanding plea.

Getting lost is actually quite impossible unless you disable most of the HUD.

Witcher3s biggest strength lies in all the small little vignettes that the world has been filled with, not some romantic Hans Kammerlander Mountain vistas.

So no, if people want to play this on the go, fuck off with telling them not to bother and maybe miss out on one of the best written and lovingly crafted games in the past decade.

Also this comes from someone that played the game for over 300 hours maxed out with the HD Reworked mod on PC, and I still can't wait to get this to play in handheld mode.

I said in the first sentence "If you have a choice".

Of course the game it's still a masterpiece without the technical wow.

And please try at least to read what I write before telling me to fuck off. I am saying give it a chance elsewhere IF YOU CAN

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the things that worked with Zelda too. Lots of protracted pointless traversal, but actually on switch it doesn't feel so bad. Switch is a great platform for open world games.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I usually play all my games on switch if I have the choice. This remark was made for the Witcher 3 particularly. I am not talking about graphical setbacks, I do not care about those, I am talking about atmosphere and Immersion.
Well the choice is not playing because I want to play in handheld and playing it handheld with the same compromises as I'm used to. It's just the reality of it.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017

P.S

I dunno man. I think you really underestimate people's imagination and the effect of the game's overall scenario, sound, and mission design on its immersiveness. The swaying of the trees, the rustling of the wind as Roach gallops through a storm toward danger. That's all intact, just at a lower resolution.

Also, I've played this game at Ultra settings 60fps on PC and I'm really looking forward to the Switch version because it means I'll actually get more than 10 hours into it if I can take it with me.

I love open world games on Switch. There's nothing like carrying this portal to another dimension in your bag and whipping it out to plug away at it when you have a few minutes. I think the mission structure of The Witcher 3 really lends itself well to this kind of play as well. What seems like a truly taunting list of activities when you stroll into a new part of the world is easily digestible in 10-20 minute chunks.

I played all the way through Dragon's Dogma on Switch. There's absolutely no way I would have persisted past the first few hours of that game if I had to settle in for a GamingSession™ on my 4K TV every time.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I dunno man. I think you really underestimate people's imagination and the effect of the game's overall scenario, sound, and mission design on its immersiveness. The swaying of the trees, the rustling of the wind as Roach gallops through a storm toward danger. That's all intact, just at a lower resolution.

Also, I've played this game at Ultra settings 60fps on PC and I'm really looking forward to the Switch version because it means I'll actually get more than 10 hours into it if I can take it with me.

I love open world games on Switch. There's nothing like carrying this portal to another dimension in your bag and whipping it out to plug away at it when you have a few minutes. I think the mission structure of The Witcher 3 really lends itself well to this kind of play as well. What seems like a truly taunting list of activities when you stroll into a new part of the world is easily digestible in 10-20 minute chunks.

I played all the way through Dragon's Dogma on Switch. There's absolutely no way I would have persisted past the first few hours of that game if I had to settle in for a GamingSession™ on my 4K TV every time.

Playing that game on switch turned what would have been a 6/10 experience for me into a 9/10.
Oh don't get me wrong, I am getting the game on switch as well. It's just a pity to have people missing the full experience, again IF they have the choice. If not, The Witcher 3 would be always groundbreaking even on a PSX

I just want for as many people as possible to get in those woods for the first time as we did... My god the memories

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Yeah I'm one of those people who are willing to have big down grade for the sake of portability most of the times, thought not gonna lie sometimes not only visuals are taking a big hit , but also the quality of gameplay becomes a lot more junky.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Oh don't get me wrong, I am getting the game on switch as well. It's just a pity to have people missing the full experience, again IF they have the choice. If not, The Witcher 3 would be always groundbreaking even on a PSX

I just want for as many people as possible to get in those woods for the first time as we did... My god the memories

Don't you know that immersion of something is directly correlated to that things distance from your eyes? This why VR is so immersive. Playing the Witcher on a TV or monitor 3 feet away compared to a Switch in portable mode 1 foot away is 26% more immersion breaking.

Its funny people don't even do the research before commenting on such things.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Don't you know that immersion of something is directly correlated to that things distance from your eyes? This why VR is so immersive. Playing the Witcher on a TV or monitor 3 feet away compared to a Switch in portable mode 1 foot away is 26% more immersion breaking.

Its funny people don't even do the research before commenting on such things.
That is why, as I sad, I am not talking graphics. We already know foliage and vegetetation are going to receive a big cut ( this was already in the first trailer). I am not concerned with Geralt with less details or houses with less poligons, I am concerned with things that are actually not goinfg to be there. E.G Trees with way less leaves, less bushes, less branches etc...

It's not a fact of playing near a screen or not if things are simply not there.

Its funny people don't even read before commenting on such things.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if people could stop trying to dictate the way they enjoy games as the only way there is.

People are going to discover and enjoy TW3 with this switch version whether you like it or not. Let them be.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
That is why, as I sad, I am not talking graphics. We already know foliage and vegetetation are going to receive a big cut ( this was already in the first trailer). I am not concerned with Geralt with less details or houses with less poligons, I am concerned with things that are actually not goinfg to be there. E.G Trees with way less leaves, less bushes, less branches etc...

you're being really obnoxious here mate, people have doing this concern trolling shit about not getting the "true" experience for 2 years now. It's getting tiresome to say the least and it's frankly condenscending to assume people are not smart enough to understand the compromises they'll accept by going with the Switch version.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
It'd be nice if people could stop trying to dictate the way they enjoy games as the only way there is.

People are going to discover and enjoy TW3 with this switch version whether you like it or not. Let them be.
"dictate". I said in the first post "if you have a choice, please..." I did not dictate anything.

I am new here, I do not understand if a poked a defensive hive that take a remark as attack to your console and by projection to you personally or if it is common practice reading half a comment and then respond to it consequently.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

3550905-1.jpg

D83wdINXsAAu0GZ.jpg

Good thing we have direct captures. Plenty of leaves and branches.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Its pretty telling you can't even tell my entire post was sarcastic lol I assume you go into every thread on resetera where a multiplat PS4 or Xbox version exists to talk about reduced graphical effects and details / lack of ray tracing etc and beg everyone to experience it the proper way on PC?

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Good thing we have direct captures. Plenty of leaves and branches.
Did I say no leaves and branches will be present? Or did I say less and less detailed? Don't drag me in a petty screenshot war, I can easily bring comparison screenshots, but I am not here to convince people that the game is rubbish on switch, because it is not.

I simply said if you have a choice give it a go elsewhere, if not it's gonna be fine

Its pretty telling you can't even tell my entire post was sarcastic lol I assume you go into every thread on resetera where a multiplat PS4 or Xbox version exists to talk about reduced graphical effects and details / lack of ray tracing etc and beg everyone to experience it the proper way on PC?
I could tell, that is why I ignored it.

No I do not do that, as I said I buy almost everything I can on switch. I am only talking about The Witcher 3 specifically, but it is clear by the mob mentality I have been welcomed with that this is a sensitive spot, so I'll drop it.

May be you really have been raided by people shitting on this version just because of the console, but I can promise you this was not my case at all.

I'll enjoy the game again on switch regardless.

Last edited:

g.a.u

Oct 31, 2017
Hope it will be mod-able with hacked switch
All those combat, dodge, inventory mods
And with reverseNX

Jun 17, 2018

I agree, I am really fucking bored with people saying how bad this game will look and how it's going to be an inferior experience.

I own this game on my Xbox One X, which is obviously a far superior game graphically to the Switch version. However, I don't get much couch gaming time these days and there is noway I can get involved with an RPG with kids running around at the moment.

Therefore the Switch version is perfect, regardless of the graphical fidelity. It's pretty much the only way I can experience a game of this size and my commute makes this the perfect time sink. There are also a lot of people out there in the same position, or just want to be able to lay in bed and play without the need to dedicate time in front of the TV/Monitor.

I struggle to understand what people get out of shitting on this version. Really sad..

Status
Not open for further replies.