• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah it's pure speculation in.my part that Nintendo subsidized the costs of porting :}

But because it's 32GB and all eyes are on them, I have high faith as well CDPr will make sure it is a good port
Yeah, it's clear CDPR would not release the game unless they thought it was a worthy experience. And it looks like they delivered in that respect from the little media we have seen. Hopefully it's a sign of more to come.
I feel like if this game can somehow run on Switch then anything on PS4/XBO can. Lol
Pretty much.
I'm forward to Cyberpunk 2077 at dynamic 540p in 2021! Not trolling, I feel that it's going to get ported if Witcher does well. They'll find a way!
Is Cyberpunk more demanding than Witcher 3? There's more powerful hardware now than when The Witcher 3 came out, but back then it was all about 1080p60 or 1440p60 at most with like, a 980Ti, and now it's all about 4K60.
So Cyberpunk might have similar performance on consoles as The Witcher 3 does, for all we know.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Have to bear in mind also all these ports are being outsourced on what we can only imagine is a tight budget - if we actually had a native port done in house by the devs we'd likely see even better results than what we're getting from games like this and Doom etc. Still kudos to CD Project for doing this - makes the likes of Capcom / EA output on the Switch even more embarassingly poor (if that was even possible)

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I feel like if this game can somehow run on Switch then anything on PS4/XBO can. Lol

It's probably true, but I suspect it's no small task from a development perspective and some developers might see the compromises as infringing too much on the principle vision for the game. It'll be a case by case thing. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd be down for this version of The Witcher, but then I'm lucky enough to have plenty of other options and very few constraints, which is not the case for everybody.

For those that are happy with this version, cutbacks and all, all power to them. It does make me wonder what level of cutback would become unacceptable: would a 320p version of a game be okay if it ran smoothly enough? At the same time, I'm not entirely sure on what basis anyone can really say an arbitrary resolution count like 1080p can be deemed acceptable. It is clearer, but then years from now we might all be saying "1080p? In 2025? How is that acceptable?"

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, people have just been underestimating the Switch's capabilities I think. Ports and games in general will only get better as devs familiarize themselves with the hardware too.

Tell that to Capcom, which is still apparently refusing to port MHW over .

Well for MHW there's the (rumored, but seemingly likely) asian exclusivity to the PS4 that is preventing that game from coming. For RE engine titles people have been speculating that it can't do dynamic resolution or it can't switch between handheld and docked mode but I kinda think it's more that they just don't want to spend the time or money and don't feel like there's enough incentive to do so.

From Nintendo's side there was nothing but a trailer and a news announcement / tweet. Been a bit surprised that there wasn't more coverage. But it means that it's not ready yet to be showcased in Treehouse or so.

I just don't think the Treehouse wants to showcase the type of content in The Witcher 3 that a gameplay demo would show.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably true, but I suspect it's no small task from a development perspective and some developers might see the compromises as infringing too much on the principle vision for the game. It'll be a case by case thing. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd be down for this version of The Witcher, but then I'm lucky enough to have plenty of other options and very few constraints, which is not the case for everybody.

For those that are happy with this version, cutbacks and all, all power to them. It does make me wonder what level of cutback would become unacceptable: would a 320p version of a game be okay if it ran smoothly enough? At the same time, I'm not entirely sure on what basis anyone can really say an arbitrary resolution count like 1080p can be deemed acceptable. It is clearer, but then years from now we might all be saying "1080p? In 2025? How is that acceptable?"

True, and I guess what would be considered unacceptable right now just depends on the person. If the Switch is the only console I own, this port is a must-buy. I'd likely be content with lower resolution and frame rate because I can see the ambition on the screen. That said, it seems most Switch owners have access to other consoles/PC so the threshold for what's acceptable goes way up. Portability is the main value proposition at the end of the day.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yeah, people have just been underestimating the Switch's capabilities I think. Ports and games in general will only get better as devs familiarize themselves with the hardware too.

Well for MHW there's the (rumored, but seemingly likely) asian exclusivity to the PS4 that is preventing that game from coming. For RE engine titles people have been speculating that it can't do dynamic resolution or it can't switch between handheld and docked mode but I kinda think it's more that they just don't want to spend the time or money and don't feel like there's enough incentive to do so.

I just don't think the Treehouse wants to showcase the type of content in The Witcher 3 that a gameplay demo would show.

Well, they did show Fatal Frame 4, and that wasn't exactly family friendly.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The game had a long section talking about people committing suicide and we even saw someone take the plunge in the showcase.

Oh, I didn't realize they got that in depth into it.

Still, I think the obvious graphically explicit stuff is what they want to avoid. Also Nintendo funded/published Fatal Frame, so they may have been a bit more willing to overlook the content in order to push it on their streams.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Is Cyberpunk more demanding than Witcher 3? There's more powerful hardware now than when The Witcher 3 came out, but back then it was all about 1080p60 or 1440p60 at most with like, a 980Ti, and now it's all about 4K60.
So Cyberpunk might have similar performance on consoles as The Witcher 3 does, for all we know.

Cyberpunk seems to be more dense and richer regards the city, details and how many people it has. I just feel it'd need to be pared back either with resolution, lighting, details or crowd density. I mean I'd not be completely surprised though it it were the same settings, but I'd not be surprised if there were more sacrifices on the base Switch or it was exclusive to the Switch Pro.

I still think it could totally be ported though, and I look forward to double dipping on a portable version in the future (with any luck).

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't care what anyone says.

If a game is available on both, Switch and PS4, I'm getting it on Switch because of the portability alone.

Seriously, the last time I played on the PS4 was this week, but only because I took it with me to work to prevent me from sleeping during the night shift. The last time before that was sometime last year.

I just don't have the time to seriously take on a game while being chained to the Television.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Some people always like to ignore why people prefer portable gaming. There are very real and valid reasons why someone would choose to play a game on the Switch over the other platforms. Time to play is a very real issue. The ability to finish a game is a real thing. Many people are quite willing to make trade offs to be able to play a game in a manner that they know works best for them.
That's the point on having games like Witcher 3, DQ 11 on the Switch. It's fine that you are not going to buy the game because it's not as technical impressive as other versions, but I think it's pretty fair to offer it on a platform that let you choose how to play it - and yes, many people, like myself, are willing to embrace this kind of downgrade to play wherever they want.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I think that Witcher 3 port (alongside 32GB) card could be very important regardless potential of big 3rd party games ports for Switch,
I mean if Witcher 3 thats one of biggest and most complex games of generation is ported to Switch, any game could be ported.

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
Some people always like to ignore why people prefer portable gaming. There are very real and valid reasons why someone would choose to play a game on the Switch over the other platforms. Time to play is a very real issue. The ability to finish a game is a real thing. Many people are quite willing to make trade offs to be able to play a game in a manner that they know works best for them.
I am so excited for this port because I travel a lot for work and have 2 young children. Playing at home on the TV and trying to juggle responsibilities/sleep makes portability a big plus. I am also finding more and more hotels that are locking HDMI inputs, making it tough to even bring the dock along. So this will allow me to play what is apparently one of the best games of the recent generation.

This so much. I pretty much had to quit gaming since my daughter was born and I have dozens of game both on Steam and WiiU that I didn't touch once. I bought Switch Day 1 and I played more on it than the last 10 years combined, Diablo 3 alone I think I spent close to 100 hours with. The portability is just fantastic, so I appreciate every great game that is ported to it, even if it is some years old and looks worse than on XBO/PS4 let alone high-end PCs.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly excited for this just to see the tech breakdown, like this must be a huge feat. If it runs well, I'll double-dip just for the novelty of it.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
If I can play Xenoblade on 3DS, I can play this on Switch. Looking forward to finally trying it.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why they didn't start with The Witcher 2. The first game hasn't aged well but the 2nd game is still a masterpiece. It's also more linear (and a last gen game) which would probably easier to port without too much sacrifices like The Witcher 3.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why they didn't start with The Witcher 2. The first game hasn't aged well but the 2nd game is still a masterpiece. It's also more linear (and a last gen game) which would probably easier to port without too much sacrifices like The Witcher 3.

They may put Witcher 2 there if there is demand and if it's not too hard to port. But Witcher 3 on Switch is 100% for shock value and for positioning. I have no doubt Nintendo asked for that title specifically.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Witcher 3 is both a current gen game and an absolute major seller (over 20M). Getting that is a much bigger get for Nintendo than Witcher 2 (for CDPR, too, since it's likely to sell significantly more than Witcher 2), so I imagine Nintendo and CDPR really wanted to push for Witcher 3.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

The 360 port of The Witcher 2 was really, really good so it would be just as good if not better on Switch no doubt.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
not sure, but who buys this?
back then, i Always bought the best graphics Version, now it seems, that People get versions thrown around. i really hope, doom/wolfenstein and w3 are selling hotcakes on switch to make sure, that People are playing the Right games on the System.

oh and also: please make sure to make everything available on the Card.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I hope its not switch pro only that would be super bad for me since im planning to buy it but i wont get another switch
Well the pro isn't even announced so pretty sure what we saw are from. oG switch

But I noticed all the.media materials for this game and this game only has a captured on Nintendo Switch watermark

Initially I thought it was to avoid trolls trying to argue they were stock or generic screens taken from the PC but that didnt happen for a lot of other games. I'm beginning to think it's because when the Pro is announced the Witcher 3 will be the first game built specifically to take advantage of it and there will be a 2nd set of media released showing it off.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure, but who buys this?
back then, i Always bought the best graphics Version, now it seems, that People get versions thrown around. i really hope, doom/wolfenstein and w3 are selling hotcakes on switch to make sure, that People are playing the Right games on the System.

oh and also: please make sure to make everything available on the Card.
Because you decide what the right system is? For me it's the Switch because I care much more about comfort than graphics. This is the right version for me.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the Switch's Xenoblade 3D. Like I can't in good faith say that the screenshots, in isolation, look anything but horrible. But hey it's on Switch, and the game is good enough that even with severely reduced visual quality, it's still a wonderful journey. I'm just glad more people can play it in more ways, really!

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like trying this game again on switch

Played the PS4 version 4? years ago ( holy fuck it's been 4 years !) And was pretty much bored with the story/world and fell asleep after couple hours of play

Maybe I need to give the game another chance. ..so should I wait for th switch version or just get the PS4 version again for $20 lol.

Big problem with this game for me was th combat being so boring ?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like trying this game again on switch

Played the PS4 version 4? years ago ( holy fuck it's been 4 years !) And was pretty much bored with the story/world and fell asleep after couple hours of play

Maybe I need to give the game another chance. ..so should I wait for th switch version or just get the PS4 version again for $20 lol.

Big problem with this game for me was th combat being so boring ?

On harder difficulties I'd argue the combat is less boring. Harder difficulties require you to prep for your battles with oils, potions, etc.

Plum

May 31, 2018
all this tells me is that Nintendo shown them the enhanced switch and they decided to do it

How does it tell you that? There's really no evidence to support that interpretation, especially when the alternative is so simple (that they only started experimenting with the console last year).

Tbh "Witcher 3 must be for the Switch Pro!" is the new "Witcher 3 on Switch is just streaming!"

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
How does it tell you that? There's really no evidence to support that interpretation, especially when the alternative is so simple (that they only started experimenting with the console last year).

Tbh "Witcher 3 must be for the Switch Pro!" is the new "Witcher 3 on Switch is just streaming!"
See my post above.

Plum

May 31, 2018

That's a big reach tbh since all you're using as evidence is a watermark. The 'mistranslation' explanation seems the most likely.

It isn't even related to the poster I replied to either. They said that they only thought it possible when the Pro was shown despite that clearly not being the case).
Nintendo puts TW3 into Q4 in their new release infographic:

(noo...)

Were you expecting otherwise? They would have announced a release date if it were coming before September. The wait for the two Final Fantasy games is a lot weirder imo.

What concerns me a little is the absence of Doom Eternal which already doesn't have a defined release date on other Switch marketing material.

Status
Not open for further replies.