• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I have to ask why? Who asked for this? "Boy does that Witcher III game look great I sure wish I had access to a low poly version with inconsistent frame rate on my Switch to play the game" said nobody. This feels like it was done just for the sake of saying it could be done and a poor port will leave a poor impression on someone on what otherwise is a great game.
people like me who only finish rpgs on handhelds. i'm the kinda person who routinely ignores his tv to play on handhelds while in the house. i've been saying that I'd gladly play uglier switch versions of games all gen.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
That looked quite rough, but it's a tablet vs a machine that's several times bigger and more powerful. It's amazing they are making this happen at all.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
d9172c3c-19b5-4b97-b4zky5.jpeg

a374d211-433f-43ec-8qkkyh.jpeg

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Queue the people that have no interest in the Switch version and portability making negative comments when they are proven wrong...

Anyways, I'm a Switch gamer and will be divulging into the Witcher series for the first time.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The graphics don't look good but then again I'm not sure what people expected, it's still a great game though so if you haven't already got it on another platform it's worth picking up.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Okay, the game definitely looks worse than on the other platforms, but why exactly do so many people here have to complain about it existing?
Does the port hurt you?
Im happy for the switch-only users that get to play the game, even if I won't buy it again.
I would assume the game runs well enough to be playable just fine and the switch-only crowd I probably not the ones who care that much about IQ and resolution.

It's not like they delayed cyberpunk for this.

Hell, I have a ps4 pro and played more of Doom on the switch simply because it's portable.

I dont know... I sometimes just don't get the negativity.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I have to ask why? Who asked for this? "Boy does that Witcher III game look great I sure wish I had access to a low poly version with inconsistent frame rate on my Switch to play the game" said nobody. This feels like it was done just for the sake of saying it could be done and a poor port will leave a poor impression on someone on what otherwise is a great game.

Lol. Who cares where people play it as long as it works? Unless it's an absolute trash port like Ark Survival, it's not going to damage the reputation of the game. Not to mention that anyone who cares about graphics would have bought it on other platforms already. Man, people like you are so damn mad and salty about others getting to play a game on their platform of choice.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
But Switch can't run these games guys, these open world games are for true hardcore gamers.

*Cognitive Dissonance Disfunction*

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Nice. Haven't played this due to lack of owning a platform its available on. Should I check it out?

If port runs at your standards then definitely.

The Witcher 3 (and especially with story DLCs) is top of the generation games. If you really dive in you can easily spend 200 - 300 hours with this, experiencing great RPG.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I already added salt in my diner, please refrain from give me more.

I'll ask my dad to offer the game to me as he was eager to make me try it on PC last time I visited : P.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
idk, your post seems more in line with 2002.
It is called a video game is it not? Graphics are very important how they inform a player , it is a visual stimuli
Graphics in relation to the platform the game is running on. Yes it looks uglier than ps4/bone. Which both look uglier than pc. Does that invalid those versions too?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How? Like seriously with the CPU power on the switch this must be one hell of a port job.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Cool. I mean I played this game on PS4, but this is impressive. The game is very impressive on current gen hardware, and if they can get it to run even looking like it does on Switch, it is an achievement. Will definitely keep an eye on it, it is one of the best games this gen...

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Last I checked if the graphics are too bad and the FPS is too shitty, then the game won't be fun. Cause you know, those actually do affect gameplay.

I am mostly a PC gamer up to this point and I am over 35 years old. To this day I never had the best pc hardware -ever- in my life except for the last few years of having a rx 480. Never really had a stable 60fps experience from any games even games like fps's etc. BUT I had fun with what I had so... it is not a definitive opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fine for a portable version of the game. I don't get all the shocks and gasps. What were you expecting?
They expected it to never come out. Now that it is the goalpost has changed from impossible to impossibly ugly.

Very shocking that it would be uglier on a mobile SoC with roughly 1/4th the capability and 1/10th the power envelope of the base PS4. SHOCKING!!!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
This is going to look like absolute fucking ass.

Give me a Switch pro please lol

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
At least it looks better than playing on my shitty laptop.

I might just do the hardest difficulty on Switch if the price is right.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
To reiterate my post from last week for those going "whhhhhhy?":

Devs and publishers are willing to make sacrifices if they feel the game will still be represented in a respectable way that is relative to the system at hand, and it will potentially make a profit. This is how Street Fighter 2 - a game that the SNES could just about handle - got a Game Boy port. No one was expecting a version to match the arcade, or even the SNES version. But Capcom thought it could put out a version that would sell and still feel, in some way, like Street Fighter. So it was released.

"But who would ever want to play an extremely compromised version of Street Fighter 2?" some people asked?

"Those who want to play any version of it on the go," replied Capcom. Turns out, with the Game Boy's massive user base, that was a lot of people. Compromises to gameplay, and all.

When Panic Button and Bethesda were porting Doom and Wolf to Switch, it wasn't with the idea that it would be like-for-like for the PS4 and Xbox One versions. It was "these games can work, with appropriate and acceptable sacrifices on a format which will make money without damaging the brand. For those who want to play any version of it on the go."

[Yes, laptops and other portable machines can also do that, but none of them have the large, unified and trouble free - e.g. one controller format, one hardware spec etc - userbase that Switch has.]

A lot of people would be surprised at the level of testing done to porting games behind closed doors before a game is even announced or teased. Sure, clunkers slip through the net for a variety of reasons, but more often than not they typically slipped out with little fanfare. If the game is coming to Switch (likely, in my opinion, given current events) it will be a version which will be deemed acceptable - and profit making - by CDPR.

Interested to see how it plays.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those screenshots aren't giving me much hope, but I'd rather wait for gameplay footage and DF. If I'm ever going to compete TW3 this port is probably my only chance

TheRedLag00n

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how big the filesize will be and if they somehow manage to put it on a single card or if you need to download half the game if you go physical. Was always interested in playing Witcher 3, might actually go with this version, depending on the price.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
This game must not be as great as everyone said it was if it apparently relied on its graphics for enjoyment like people here make it out to be.

Video games are a visual medium so yes, a graphics downgrade adversely effects the experience.
You'll still have the same excellent quests, but you do lose a lot of atmosphere.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not one of the people poo-pooing the port's existence, I'm glad to have a portable version even if it is a lesser experience.

Last edited:

Amnesiacc

Dec 3, 2018
Yikes, that's rough. That being said, I'd get it to play on the go if it has a stable framerate. The graphics won't be as noticeable in handheld mode. Witcher 3 was too long for my lazy ass to sit through on Playstation, so having a portable version could be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.