• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Not to single you out but I find this take so fucking silly. The fifth season of the Wire is still better than like 90% of the prestige TV shows out there. Hell if we're being real here the stuff people disliked about season 5 like the fake news stuff strikes pretty damn close to home these days. That and it contains some of the greatest scenes in the entire series like everything to do with Bubbles and him finally getting to walk up those stairs.

Hyperbole aside, I do agree that it's still better than most TV, but the season as a whole is too sprawling, too ambitious in what it attempts to do and suffers hugely in comparison with the laser-sharp focus of the previous seasons.

Yes it has great scenes (some of the best in the series) but it just didn't work for me. It's the only season I haven't rewatched.

Oct 29, 2017
Bunk- fuck fuck fuuuck
Snoop- tired of all this talkin
Bubbles- thin line between heaven n here
Dukie- remember last summer...

N my #1 favorite character..
Old Face Andre - his death scene is the best in the show to me. With him knowing he has to die but pleading for it not to be done in a vacant. " gimme a home go"
Shit hits me every time.

Oct 28, 2017
A top 5? Sheeeeeeeeeit.

1. Lester Freamon
2. Stringer Bell
3. Bunk Moreland
4. Clay Davis
5. Bubbles

Honorable mentions: Bunny, D'Angelo, Daniels, Bodie, Omar, Snoop, Prop Joe, & Frank Sobotka.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
1. Omar
2. Bubbles
3. Freamon
4. Slim Charles
5. McNulty

. . . . its really hard to make this list.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
1. Omar
2. Bubbles
3. Stringer
4. Freamon
5.Cutty or Avon

This was so hard to do and I'm still not sure if I'm happy with it. This show just has so many amazing characters.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
1. McNulty - I'm half Irish, I am biased. He was also really funny

2. Stringer Bell - what an intelligent maniac

3. Marlo Stanfield - came out of nowhere, and with ruthlessness rarely seen in even Shakespearean characters

4. Omar. Let that name ring out shorty

5. Michael Lee. That kid had more heart than probably any other character in the show

Edit: damn I forgot about D'Angelo Barksdale, maybe the most tragic character on TV in the last 30 years.

Last edited:

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
no particular order:

Bubbles
McNulty
Prez
Frank Sobotka

there's a bit of separation after that for me so won't name a 5th

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Bunk
Daniels
Omar
Bodie
Freamon

And its embarrassing to admit but the fact that Lance Reddick and Cedric Daniels are like a letter off from being an anagram still messes me up sometimes as to which is the actor and which is the character

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody saying Bunny Colvin here? He seemed to be the only one in the police force "faction" - for lack of a better term, that wanted to do good policing simply because it'd be beneficial towards the community.

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
Such a difficult list to make... In no particular order:

Omar
Snoop
Bunk
Marlo
McNulty

So many. Cutty, Freamon, WeeBey, Bodie, Tosha and Kimmy, Bubbles, Stringer, D'Angelo...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't even attempt this... one of the main reasons I love this show so much is that almost every character could be argued into this list at some point.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This was really hard to narrow down:
Bubbles
Landsman
Randy
Bunk
Omar

Nobody saying Bunny Colvin here? He seemed to be the only one in the police force "faction" - for lack of a better term, that wanted to do good policing simply because it'd be beneficial towards the community.
I'd say most of the protagonist cops also qualify here. Kima, Bunk, and to a lesser extent McNulty and Freamon are all in it for the right reasons, but they're pretty removed from the street since they're doing investigations and detective work for most of the show.

Has anyone said Levy!??

lol, he's pretty much the most unlikable character in show apart from some of the cops and Namond's mom

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Without too much thought:

Bubbles
Frank Sobotka
Omar
Bunk
Stringer

Bubbles was the most obvious choice though.

And I'm guessing Frank is going to be an odd one out, but I love his whole arc.

Bunk might be the only out-and-out good guy on the show.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
On rewatches it becomes clear that Stringer is a bumblefuck that causes most of if not all the issues for his organisation. Very few times will his intellect shine through and correct or illuminate on someone's understanding. In most cases he'll be undercut by someone else's wisdom and play stupid or get mad. He gets played by everyone, constantly. He's neither street smart nor book smart. He was a drug dealers money man that decided to take economics classes at a community college in order to flex introductory micro concepts like it was gonna change the game. First moves he makes to transition into legitimacy and he gets played like a fiddle.

He should have just been happy being Avon's accountant. Or you know, take some of that drug money and retire.

This is all true and yet he's still a fascinating charcter.

It's really hard to narrow this list down, frankly. I tossed off my top 5 and immediately 5 more come to mind. Not all of which are "cool" characters to root for. I still think Ziggy is one of the best drawn characters in the show.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Bubbles
Sobotka
Bodie
Snoop
Prop Joe

Just to give some less appreciated characters some love. There are so many great characters though.

wumpy

Dec 22, 2017
Picking a top5 is tough! In no order

Bunk
Bubbles
McNulty
Rawls
Omar

And Valcek gets an honourable mention

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
SAxbXJW.gif

a4bd3a2654a9dce0c7a2b3b6cefa301a.jpg

latest

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Stringer Bell
2. Boudy
3. Omar
4. Marlo
5. Morgan Freeman dude

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
My goodness. This is difficult.

Please don't ask me to rank them in any order, but I will go with: Stringer Bell, Bubbles, Omar, Prop Joe, and Broadie.

Somehow I feel any 5-person configuration is unjust. I simply can't square it in my conscience that that is the right and fair thing to do or how I really feel about it.

The Wire is a captivating show. Its brilliance is product of many fortunate factors, variables and circumstances. I can't in good consience try to narrow it down to merely 5 characters.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed watching Frank Sabotka take down Valchek in their first scene together. He cut him in a way that truly hurt, in a way that no cop or gangster could, because he knew Valchek's insecurities personally from all the way back when Valchek was a kid. Ziggy is such a piece of shit.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hyperbole aside, I do agree that it's still better than most TV, but the season as a whole is too sprawling, too ambitious in what it attempts to do and suffers hugely in comparison with the laser-sharp focus of the previous seasons.

Yes it has great scenes (some of the best in the series) but it just didn't work for me. It's the only season I haven't rewatched.

You might want to give it a rewatch. People keep harping on "invented a serial killer" but I honestly thought how he invented that killer wasn't too outlandish. But that really isn't the driving force in that season, it's more about the newspaper and Clay Davis. And the way Clay Davis plays the legal system and gets off by appealing to populist sentiments is fucking perfect, especially in today's environment. Season 5 of the wire has never been more relevant. It's a season that speaks more about today than any other season of the show.

Clay Davis is Donald Trump with more eloquence.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
You might want to give it a rewatch. People keep harping on "invented a serial killer" but I honestly thought how he invented that killer wasn't too outlandish. But that really isn't the driving force in that season, it's more about the newspaper and Clay Davis. And the way Clay Davis plays the legal system and gets off by appealing to populist sentiments is fucking perfect, especially in today's environment. Season 5 of the wire has never been more relevant. It's a season that speaks more about today than any other season of the show.

Clay Davis is Donald Trump with more eloquence.

Oh I know, and there's the whole comparison from back when about the Iraq dodgy dossier and what have you and the crumbling of Freemon's 'good cop' credibility in going along with the sham.

That's not my criticism - my criticism is that the season as a whole, IMO, doesn't hold together the way the preceeding seasons do, and and while it may still have contemporary relevance, its not going to change my opinion that the series is a hotch-potch of storylines that don't really come together too well.

Sheeeeeeeeit

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Just finished season 3, but my favorites so far:

Omar
Cutty
Lester
Beadie
Bunny

Kima was top 2 in season 1, but she's disappointed me so much :(

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
In the middle of Season 5 taking a break, so far

Bunk
Frank Sobotka
Randy
Prez
Bunny

Also Herc/Carver, Namond, Duquan, Michael.. so many

Now that I think about it, there are very few women in the show who are developed as much as the men.. is this correct or am I bad at counting? I mean it's about policing and crime both overrepresented by men so but still

Any good tv drama series with a focus on women?