• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
1. Boadie
2. Cutty
3. Freamon
4. Herc
5. Nick Sobotka (I've did a rewatch a few weeks ago, and I still like season 2)

Omar isn't on the list for the same reason Wolverine doesn't need to be on anyone's list of favorite X-Men.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Stringer
Bunny Colvin
Slim Charles
Prop Joe

Also Chris for how menacing and shark like he acted. The most cold blooded character in the show.

Oct 27, 2017
Bubbles, Omar, Dookie, Lester & Avon

Funny, since he had dirt in his past that kept threatening his promotions; or rather, they would use that dirt to threaten his promotions if he didn't fall in live.

Good character
As much as I love Daniels, he's got his bad moments too. Covering up Prez blinding the kid in the eye, then coaching Prez what to say in regards to killing the other detective.
Namond's mom
Michael's stepfather
Scott Templeton
Officer Anthony Colicchio
Valchek
Get a load this one here, making jokes picking all the assholes.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
latest

Fuck this guy.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In no particular order:

Bunk
Stringer
Lester
Marlo
Chris

Honorable mentions:

Omar
Carver
Mike
Daniels
Bodie

Btw, McNulty was a great character, but for some reason I don't enjoy watching him as much as others.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
The ones who I KNOW are in:

Avon
Omar
Bodie

Then it gets way too hard to pick but maybe Marlo and Slim Charles.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Omar
Freamon
Bunk
Stringer
Bodie

My first 4 were really clear but I got tired of looking at my list after struggling to settle on #5. Avon, Bubbles, McNulty, and Michael were my honorable mentions. And that's not even counting the really entertaining characters that didn't have enough meat to make a top 5. Too many to name, in all reality.

Da Wire da bes

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ziggy
Nick
Valchek
McNulty
The Greek

WHAT. Okay, not really. Actually took some effort to think of five asshole white guys.

For real, though, I don't know how I'd pick five. Props to the guy playing Clay Davis, though. I don't think I've ever hated any fictional character more.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Cutty
Bubbles
Omar
MCNUTTY, MY MAINEST MAN
Bunny Colvin

not in any order

Oct 28, 2017
Lester Freamon
Bunk Moreland
Omar Little
Snitchin' Bubbles
Jimmy McNulty because he's natural po-lice.

Honorable Mentions
Kima Griggs
Bunny Colvin
Prop Joe
Baltimore
Cutty
Walon
Weebay

Last edited:

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
1. D'Angelo Barksdale
2. Jimmy McNulty
3. Frank Sobotka
4. Bunny Colvin
5. Wallace

Surprised at all the Mcnulty mentions. He's just a piece of shit acting like he's a hero.

1 - Avon
1b - Stringer
1c - Marlo
1d - Omar
1e - Freeman

Never understood the hate McNulty gets. McMulty being self-centred, self-serving and self-destructive might make him flawed compared to, let's say, a Marvel hero or something, but literally everyone in the Wire is revealed for who they truly are, and it's usually not a bastion of giving and selflessness. Every character acts in their own self interest for their own self preservation.

On the contrary, the best you can usually hope for is a character whose personal needs/flaws align with the greater good, regardless of why they're doing it. McNulty, almost exclusively throughout the show, does good police work, attempts to actually create some semblance of systemic change in the police force, contributes to actually bringing down a major and violent drug ring and doesn't fuck over any vulnerable people along the way. When he does screw people over, it's usually asshole bosses looking to make rank, and in doing so, he often opens the door to getting real shit done.

If you want to say this is to fuel his ego, fine, but then you've got to contend with the fact that someone like Daniels is only doing it to make rank. Or Carcetti really only interested in winning. Or Omar only interested in his own self-preservation, not caring that he's leaving bodies in his wake, and priming future generations for a life of violence.

And then look at your own list. Avon's a violent monster fuelling generations of young kids and enlisting them into a life of misery while directly contributing to the heroin epidemic. Most of his crew will die and if not they'll have no future otherwise. And we can empathize with the guy and understand where he comes from because The Wire's a brilliant show but I don't understand why everyone's got room to open their hearts to characters directly contributing to the negativity presented in the show, but fuck McNulty because even though he's doing the right thing, he's an asshole while doing it.

There would be dozens of characters in The Wire who leave a trail of death, destruction, corruption and failure in their wake before McNulty.

Last edited:

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
1. WeeBey
2. Bodie
3. Mike
4. Cutty
5. Avon

Weebey is so goddamn underrated it's criminal. The scene where he tells his wife to let Namond go to Bunny is maybe the single greatest scene in the entire show.

Here's a dude who damn near killed fan-favorite Kima, who actually has killed dozens of people, and yet through a subtle progression of narrative proves to be one of the most compassionate and human figures in the entire show. Think about the sacrifice and humility he displays when he gives up his only son to be raised by someone else. "Man come down here to say my son can be anything he damn please."

K444wsr

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you've forced me to rewatch the whole series again so I can make an accurate top 5. Well played sir

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just finishimg up s3 now but for some reason bodie has always been one of my.favorites not sure why

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
1. Stringer
2. Lester
3. McNulty
4. Bunk
5. Omar

Honorable mention: Bubbles, Prop Joe, Sabotka, Bodie, Cutty

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No such thing as Season 5.

I mean I know there is a TV show that claims to be S5 of The Wire, but it's not.

Not to single you out but I find this take so fucking silly. The fifth season of the Wire is still better than like 90% of the prestige TV shows out there. Hell if we're being real here the stuff people disliked about season 5 like the fake news stuff strikes pretty damn close to home these days. That and it contains some of the greatest scenes in the entire series like everything to do with Bubbles and him finally getting to walk up those stairs.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Only just finished s1 but:

1. Daniels
2. Bubbles
3. Stringer
4. Greggs
5. Freamon

Honorable mention to Omar. Couldn't believe how many amazing characters this show has.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Obligatory Stringer Bell

Prop Joe (RIP)

Freamon

D'Angelo, who I really thought was a two-bit idiot, but upon a second watch, could be argued to be smarter than Bell

And rrrrrerrerrrere I'll go with Kima over Snoop narrowly for #5

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
In terms of a satisfying or interesting character arc:

1. Omar
2. Stringer Bell
3. Bubbles
4. D'Angelo
5. Prez

In terms of enjoyability/watchability:

1. Omar
2. Cutty
3. Lester
4. Bubbles
5. Stringer Bell

Honorable Mentions:

McNulty
Bunk
Chris
Avon
Wee-Bey
Michael
Prop Joe
Marlo
The Greek
Carcetti
Frank Sobotka

prolly like 20 others too lol

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Doing a rewatch after 6 years or so. Only on season 2 but from memory in no order

1. Mcnulty
2. Avon
3. Kima
4. Freamon
5. Bubbles

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm surprised Stringer is not more peoples number 1. I think hes the second greatest tv character of all time behind Tony Soprano and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

RigVertigo

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not even gonna include Omar because it's just unfair....

5. Bunny Colvin
4. Weebey
3. Bunk
2. Bodie
1. Prop Joe

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stringer is #1, fuck is going on in here. I will accept Omar or Bubbles as potential equals but that's it.

Hambulance

Oct 30, 2017
Bubbles
Dennis
Slim Charles
Lester
Norman

Number 5 was the hardest choice cos there are so many great options!

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised Stringer is not more peoples number 1. I think hes the second greatest tv character of all time behind Tony Soprano and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

On rewatches it becomes clear that Stringer is a bumblefuck that causes most of if not all the issues for his organisation. Very few times will his intellect shine through and correct or illuminate on someone's understanding. In most cases he'll be undercut by someone else's wisdom and play stupid or get mad. He gets played by everyone, constantly. He's neither street smart nor book smart. He was a drug dealers money man that decided to take economics classes at a community college in order to flex introductory micro concepts like it was gonna change the game. First moves he makes to transition into legitimacy and he gets played like a fiddle.

He should have just been happy being Avon's accountant. Or you know, take some of that drug money and retire.