• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely remember the first time i touched one i was like "yo wtf why is this so different" I didn't realize they were rounded on the edges I just assumed it was a different coating or something.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Not only were the discs nice to handle, but the disc drive in the console itself was smooth as BUTTER. You stuck the disc in and that bad boy would suck it up so quietly and smoothly it was like you were sending it to its rightful place in the universe. The PS4 disc drive feels like herky jerky, hollow, clunky piece of junk in comparison.

The Wii U was trash in literally every other aspect, but man that experience of taking a disc out of the box and sticking it into the console was second to none :P

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The rounded edges were nice, but Wii U discs seemed to become unreadable if they weren't given the white glove treatment, so I'm calling them a failure.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Sorry, GameCube mini discs were the king.

They also had a classy understated single colour plus black colour motif, similar to Japanese Saturn games.

ad69cf5b0a4f24cc17ef7a9ab6685d36446648f0.jpeg

2cc4048df3a896fb283864202714bc6b7d26dcd2.jpeg
8b617de3646a88e4b7ba9db96123f260d3e7d742.jpeg

34d544f94f664484dbaf7fe7f8ef93fd2ca25d8a.jpeg
6a680c035ae396c091ea41f23c8aeeac85621013.jpeg

(pics from this thread)

Preach !

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not only were the discs nice to handle, but the disc drive in the console itself was smooth as BUTTER. You stuck the disc in and that bad boy would suck it up so quietly and smoothly it was like you were sending it to its rightful place in the universe. The PS4 disc drive feels like herky jerky, hollow, clunky piece of junk in comparison.

The Wii U was trash in literally every other aspect, but man that experience of taking a disc out of the box and sticking it into the console was second to none :P
100% agreed, I'm glad most of my Wii U games were physical. Feels good : ]

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers in the all digital future will look back at this thread dismissively.

If you are from the future and you stumble across this thread, know that physical media was integral to the continuum that is "gaming". WiiU (look it up) discs were the pinnacle of said physical media.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed with the rounded edges. But this is the first I've heard of the discs not functioning properly. I've never had any issues with my Wii U discs not working.

Nov 1, 2017
Check it right now and report back. Prepare to have your mind blown.
Out of my collection of over 100 GCN discs, I had 4 discs report errors (this process scans 100% of the disc, so it's more intense than simply playing the game. Theoretically, they might still boot-up - I didn't get around to checking that...).

One or two of them were super scratched up, so I wasn't surprised when my Wii returned an error (I bought them used). The other two games did surprise me though (they looked mostly fine - I even 100% complete Sonic Adventure 2: Battle back in the day).

So in my experience, GCN games are just as reliable as any other medium. Keep in mind, just because my collection works fine, there is always the possibility that the disc mastering process might differ in quality depending on where you live in the world.

One final note: While cartridges are supposed to be more durable, I do sometimes worry about their longevity. I had two Game Boy games (Pokémon Red, Mario Tennis) refuse to backup properly. A few of my Nintendo 64 games gave me trouble, but I eventually got them to work after much persistence. Point being, contrary to belief, they aren't invincible.

Oh, on topic: Wii U discs do feel smooth in the hand.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, we did have a lot of issues with the discs at work. We went through two copies of Mario Kart 8, yet they looked fine on the surface. It might have been the Wii U itself (we only had the one system). It didn't help that the discs and Wii U were kept in a very cold environment at night time in the winters (+occasionally dusty).

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Can agree. The last console I bought physical discs for, they were some of the best ever printed in feel and look.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The Wii U had some pretty great games, one of which is the best selling on the Switch. It had a large virtual console library, backwards compatibility, and a large online community. I think people bandwagon dislike it because of its sales numbers.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Preach!

Spinning those discs around my fingertips with every videogame purchase is a joy that's unparalleled

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Giant bomb introduced me to this when they first got the system. Still pretty wild. The smooth rounded edges are no joke. Feel to believe.

Watch from the 9:30 mark onwards.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
The disc edges and the eshop with music. Man Nintendo put in way more effort than they needed to that generation.

I can tell you right now there was something special about opening the eshop on Breath of the Wild launch day and having the trailer music playing. Getting my Switch a few weeks later from that second shipment and the sterility of the UI across the board was definitely noticeable. Just gimme some kind of ambient audio or something, sheesh.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Gamecube discs? Say that to my Resident Evil 4 discs which ended up hairline cracked from the center outwards because of the GC game case template of having unnecessarily THICK circular hubs.

I always feared placing and taking discs out of those cases.
Only the US cases had those (as well as the stupid reverse spines). PAL and Japanese cases were fine, with push button releases.

ad69cf5b0a4f24cc17ef7a9ab6685d36446648f0.jpeg

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
This is so strange, I've always wondered why they felt so different. They always had an incredibly high quality feel.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I never realized this was an actual thing or bothered to look it up. I just assumed there was something wrong with me that I thought the discs felt so nice when I held them.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that shit was spectacular. It made me feel like this was next gen just from touching the damn disc, haha.

I really, really wish the competition did it on theirs (especially since Nintendo themselves are back to cartridges).

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing those Pikmin discs make me sad. I stupidly sold it before the price shot up.
I love my Wii U collection. Gonna keep them as long as I can as those discs are a work of art.