• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Hi folks. It's that time of year. The annual Christmas party I attend does white elephant and I completely forgot about it until an hour ago. The listicle sites have been no help, so I figured I would throw it out to y'all for some bright ideas. What are your favorite white elephant gifts? Let's set the max at $25.

Note- I searched for this thread and did not see anything.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck white elephants. Every single one I've ever been in, I got an awesome gift for the pool and ended up with horseshit that I hate.

Just buy a bottle of booze. Everyone likes that.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I got jenga from target. I hope you arent part of my work group because this bullshit is tomorrow for me as well.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Last year I got a gift card to Victoria's Secret, which is pretty easy, but it's boring if everyone just brings a gift card.

My favorite thing I ever got was a back massager. The worst thing I ever got was a toilet seat lid.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I find that it depends completely on the group. If there are people you work with that you actually hang out with you can get some kind of card/board game that's fun for a small/medium sized group. But for most people they don't have a work environment like that.

There are simple things like alcohol or gift cards, and that's fine for something like this, but it's also a little safe.

Granted I'm not the biggest fan because I like making gifts where I can and buying things for friends and family they genuinely will enjoy. If there's a few people you know enough to know they would like a certain something, get it and hope at least one or two of them get it or (if it works this way for you) try to steal it.

Sorry hard to come up with better ideas with no information to go with. A customized deck of playing cards based on where you work? Lol

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
It's worth noting that I was asked to bring booze separately, and this is a group of friends from undergrad, so really anything goes. Was thinking about going and getting a gift card to a local sex shop as I'm friends with mostly couples in LTRs, and the hosting couple just moved back here with her new SO.

Also, for anyone wondering WTF a white elephant is- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_elephant_gift_exchange

I got a harmonica last year which was kinda neat for like five minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
I consider white elephants to only be fun if everyone brings something terrible as a gift. I'm planning on hitting the used book store for something truly amazing.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My office white elephant is tomorrow, also with a $25 limit, and I'm bringing a slow cooker. Alternate pick is a pizza stone. The trick is to straddle that fine line between useful and junk.

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
I brought a "People of Walmart" coloring book with colored pencils to a White Elephant Party this year. I got a bag of leftover Halloween candy in return...and I'm on a diet.

Oct 25, 2017
My work does this too.
Last year I bought a small set of wooden brain teasers/puzzles and ended up with a mug and coasters clearly meant for a female. This year I bought a few bags of gourmet gummies/candy and got some chocolate and a Starbucks gift card. I don't drink coffee so I gave the card to my gf, but didn't tell her about the chocolate and ate it before I left work.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
We do this with my in-laws for Christmas, but the rule is the gift have to be crappy. With a large family, it makes it so much fun and takes to pressure off getting the right gift. The stealing aspect is great too.My favorite gift was a mug that says "I am so happy I could shit rainbows."

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I got this plate one year:

1433728419_fb1a53c4fe.jpg

Though Tom Selleck is enough on his own, I taped a $25 gift card to a local liquor store on the back. The person who got it showed the plate, but not the back, so no one stole it from him.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For my group of friends' White Elephant gift this year, I went to the mall and I got one of those large/long sausages from the booth they always set up around this time of the year that sell sausages, cheese, crackers, etc. I forget the name of the company, Something Farms or whatever. I also got a cheese ball from there. The day of the White Elephant, I'm going to tape them together and wrap them so it resembles a large dildo. Can't wait to see which of my friends picks it up haha.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a ceramic portable heater for a White Elephant exchange this past weekend. It's one of those items you wouldn't buy for yourself, but in the Winter wish you had one for your bathroom or office.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in the last 10 years or so white elephant gifts somehow changed from being purely gag gifts/funny gifts with no utility into "bring an inoffensive cheap gift that someone actually wants". Kind of ruined the fun of seeing who could find the most off the wall gift and have everyone vying to swap for it.

That said, my most popular gift was the simplest - I bought a can of pie filling, remove the label and made my own label that simply said "Can of Mystery and Intrigue" and I wrapped it up in a box that was big enough so it could roll around when people picked it up.

Money Soap was another popular one I've given.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I accidentally purchased two Pusheen calandars this year so one of them is in secret santa at work tomorrow. Someone is getting an awesome present.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
My first upcoming white elephant party has a $15 dollar limit, so I bought a 7.5pound box of Ghirardelli brownie mix and a small bottle of prosecco.

My second upcoming white elephant party has a $25 dollar limit, so I bought a huge Moscow mule mug (like it's more like a pot) with some alcohol, chocolate, and flavored mix.

My last white elephant for the season (I hope) will probably just be a bottle of wine.

OP- one fun gift is a huge fluffy Costco blanket (the Sherpa lined), a mug, and hot cocoa or apple cider mix. Or maybe blanket, tea, and a good book. Bundled gifts are cool. If you're in your 30s cute kitchenware is always a hit, like a brownie pan maker or fun shaped griddle. Alcohol is boring but most of the time people will like it well enough if they end up with it.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Did a White Elephant this past weekend. I did a copy of the Muppet Movie on bluray I found for pretty cheap. The crowd I did the exchange with were def the right types to be into that sorta thing and the person who got it was pretty happy about it, so... if ya know folks who are into some damn classic Muppet funnies... Get that shit. You can find it pretty cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't drink and knows others that really struggle with drinking problems, don't get booze unless you know everyone really well and know that's an ok thing for everyone.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
I bought a few pairs of funky socks. One with basset hounds, one with dinosaur bones, and one with constellations on them. I figured they're kind of weird and gaudy, but I'd be fine with getting them as a gift.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I got a two books for this white elephant thing. The first is 'how to talk to your cat about guns' and 'images you shouldn't masturbate to'.

I think they'll be a hit

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I got this plate one year:

1433728419_fb1a53c4fe.jpg

Though Tom Selleck is enough on his own, I taped a $25 gift card to a local liquor store on the back. The person who got it showed the plate, but not the back, so no one stole it from him.

I would put that on my mantle.

When I used to have a job our office had us bring old crap we didn't want anymore for the white elephant. I got a lot of useless shit over the years.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Second hand shops are an underrated place to get gifts for stuff like this. Prices are usually really cheap, so you can get something that seems really nifty and still stay under your price limit. For the one my SO's work has every year we got a cheap 3 piece "Holiday Serving Set" one year and another we got a Kitchen Utensil set. We gave a "Microwave Cooking" recipe book from the early 80's for a joke gift giveaway one year, it was $0.25 and looked brand new, like somebody traveled back in time and dropped it off at the second hand store that day.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i used the insignia google assistant clock from best buy that i got during black friday. it was pretty desirable. last year i brought a google home mini with similar popularity. cant go wrong with those.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in the last 10 years or so white elephant gifts somehow changed from being purely gag gifts/funny gifts with no utility into "bring an inoffensive cheap gift that someone actually wants". Kind of ruined the fun of seeing who could find the most off the wall gift and have everyone vying to swap for it.

That said, my most popular gift was the simplest - I bought a can of pie filling, remove the label and made my own label that simply said "Can of Mystery and Intrigue" and I wrapped it up in a box that was big enough so it could roll around when people picked it up.

Money Soap was another popular one I've given.
Oh man Money Soap is a good one. Kitschy enough to be funny but not offensive for those that might be.

I think I'm going to do an omelette or quesadilla maker for one of mine. Actually useful kitchen gadgets seem like a safe choice.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
LOL All of my white elephant gifts have been shit especially in elementary and junior high. In Junior High I spent hours making an elaborate mobile out of my old toys and hid it in a really nice box that everyone wanted (rules were we couldn't open until it was over) and I ended up with a fucking shoehorn XD

My first ever year I got a bag of barbie heads :/

Anyways the best gift I have gotten was an incense kit and this year I got a nice sign and notebook that would be perfect for my aunt. Every time I opened a gift I didn't want, I'd hold it up hoping someone would steal it though. XD

As for my gift, I gave a really nice succulent in a painted can pot and a lot of people wanted it actually, my boss was the one that got it in the end.