• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
tl;dr at the bottom

House of Balloons is the first official musical project and debut mixtape of R&B superstar The Weeknd. It was released originally back in 2011 for free. At the time, The Weeknd was still very enigmatic but eventually his music caught the attention of Drake's manager Oliver El-Khatib. The former then featured his music on his own blog. Abel was even featured on his sophomore album, Take Care on the track, "Crew Love." Apparently the relationship went so far as Abel claiming that half of what was originally supposed to be on this mixtape ended up on Drake's album (which is something that Drake disputes).

One year after House of Balloons' release, Republic Records remastered the mixtape along with his later two mixtapes, Thursday and Echos of Silence, bundled together and rereleased as Trilogy with a bonus track for each of the mixtapes. Until now, Trilogy has been the only official available and public versions to listen to House of Balloons or any of the other mixtapes. However, for its 10 year release anniversary (today), The Weeknd released the original incarnation of the mixtape on Spotify, and all of the other mainstream musical platforms. Before this, the original versions of the songs were only available in the most direct way on YouTube where he uploaded each song himself 10 years ago.

Trilogy's version of HoB didn't just entail remastering each song. There were also samples in certain tracks that were removed, but the original versions still keep the samples in tact. For example, track 2 "What You Need" samples "Rock the Boat" by Aaliyah and track track 7 "Coming Down" samples dialogue from a scene in an episode from Fate/stay night.

Wicked Games and Coming Down are my two favorite songs. I swear when I heard Wicked Games and was really feeling it, I didn't just hear his voice, I heard his soul. A couple of fun facts:
  • Notice I said House of Balloons is his first "official" musical project. Before House of Balloons, there was another mixtape Abel made known as The Noise.
  • House of Balloons is a real place. I've been there. Abel himself revealed that it is located on 65 Spencer Ave in Parkdake, Toronto. The house was featured in the music video for King of the Fall, and a promotional video for the merchandising deal he made with Puma.
  • The bonus track for House of Balloons in the remastered version is Twenty Eight. According to Genius, the title of this song refers to the fact that twenty eight grams equate to an ounce and the fact that it is the twenty eights official song that Abel ever recorded.
tl;dr

It has been 10 years since The Weeknd released his first ever musical project House of Balloons. In 2012 the mixtape was remastered and packaged with Thursday and Echos of Silence (his second and third mixtapes respectively) as Trilogy, but to celebrate its 10 year anniversary, House of Balloons has been released on all mainstream musical platforms in its original unmastered incarnation.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome! Would love a vinyl re-release too, since it's pretty rare IIRC

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A masterpiece mixtape. This was what started me on loving Abel's music all those years ago.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
It's crazy how influential this mixtape ended up being. It blew my mind back in 2011 and is still just as strong today.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being on the other site when the mixtape originally blew up. Checked it out for myself and The Weeknd has been one of my favorite artists of the past decade since then. Brings back a lot of memories of the days I was going out 3-4 days in a row on weekends during the first half of the 2010s. His music was definitely a part of my personal soundtrack then. I appreciated that he threw in a bit of "House of Balloons" into his Half-Time show at the Superb Owl.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I was right in the maelstrom of The Weeknd hype. It was a fun time trying to work out who or what The Weeknd was.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I heard this at the time except I ended up with a screwed version of the album. I was thinking, "This shit is tough! Dudes voice is deep af" My face when I heard the tracks at the regular speed for the first time 😂

Seriously though, the screwed version of the album if it's still out there is hard as boulders.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Probably as big an impact as the grunge era, but will never get the credit. It's not hard to notice a shift from well curated upbeat dance tracks that was popular in r&b and wider music at the time (think Usher), along with similarly cheery themes ("Drinking in the club! Hop in car to go to next club") to the one two three punch of Weeknd/Future's post Ciara heel turn, and "soundcloud rap".

R&B was always experimental in sounds and themes, hell it probably was the most experimental American genre going well into the 80's. But it felt like hip-hop stole the torch as the trendsetter. What Weeknd did going into the 2010's wasn't exactly super new; throw in a heavy dose of atmosphere, screwed/leaned up hip-hop production, and self loathing drug talk. But it was such a change to the 'Party in the USA' bullshit that popular music was pushing out even though the Great Recession, it felt brand new.

It brought balance to the force, lol. Because while we all fondly remember those party nights when we are getting fucked up with friends meeting people, there were also those nights when you had no business being out and you knew you were trying to forget 'them' by getting fucked up and were being a pretty miserable person in the club. The asshole stealing drinks at the bar, stiffing you on drugs (or worse), rudely hitting on your friends..House of Balloons was a reminder that for all the glamorizing that nightlife gets there is a terribly shitty element to it also (as any DJ, Bartender, Bouncer, or promoter, etc can attest).

It sucks how music in general just went this opposite way and kind of stayed there for that decade; slower BPM trap drums, everyone thematically is depressed, etc. To the point newer Weeknd with his heavy synthed up disco sounds like kids bop in comparison even tho he's basically singing the same shit. But man, what a terribly underrated album even though Weeknd is a full fledged pop star...things changed in ways we are still dealing with as far as mainstream music is concerned.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's unreal it's been 10 years — when I first heard this EP I was amazed, been a fan ever since. So happy to see Abel find all the success he rightfully deserves. Made TO proud.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This album just completely blew me away. I became a Weeknd fanatic at the time. Was talking him up to everyone.

"Watch this guy, he's gonna blow the fuck up"

What an album. Changed the world.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Oh the original versions? That's awesome, definitely prefer those over what the remastered ones were. I had no idea how much he'd blow up when I first heard his mixtape stuff on Hypem, but I knew I liked it.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The special capsule collection for the anniversary is now up on the Weeknd's store.

shop.theweeknd.com

DANIEL ARSHAM X THE WEEKND HOUSE OF BALLOONS ANNIVERSARY 2LP VINYL

THIS ITEM IS ON PRE-ORDER. THE FIRST 1000 UNITS PURCHASED WILL SHIP IN SEPTEMBER 2021 WITH ALL UNITS PURCHASED AFTERWARDS EXPECTED TO SHIP IN MARCH 2022. DESIGNED BY DANIEL ARSHAM. “HOUSE OF BALLOONS” IS THE DEBUT ALBUM FROM THE WEEKND. THE PROJECT WAS ORIGINALLY RELEASED ON MARCH 21ST 2011 TO...

shop.theweeknd.com

HOUSE OF BALLOONS 10TH ANNIVERSARY 2LP VINYL

THIS ITEM IS ON PRE-ORDER AND WILL SHIP IN MARCH 2022. “HOUSE OF BALLOONS” IS THE DEBUT ALBUM FROM THE WEEKND. THE PROJECT WAS ORIGINALLY RELEASED ON MARCH 21ST 2011 TO HUGE FANFARE LEADING TO THREE MULTI PLATINUM SINGLES, ‘THE MORNING,’ ‘WICKED GAMES,’ AND ‘TWENTY EIGHT.’ LIMITED TO 4 PER...

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still his best, though to be fair its fucking incredible

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
hob is an incredible record. holds up perfectly. as far as i know, that house is still there.

really miss that toronto quite a lot. might only be 11 years ago, but it's a different place now.

also

loft music>>>>

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome! Would love a vinyl re-release too, since it's pretty rare IIRC
go to his website
Used to live in that building from '93-'97.
I remember you saying that in another thread :)
Probably as big an impact as the grunge era, but will never get the credit. It's not hard to notice a shift from well curated upbeat dance tracks that was popular in r&b and wider music at the time (think Usher), along with similarly cheery themes ("Drinking in the club! Hop in car to go to next club") to the one two three punch of Weeknd/Future's post Ciara heel turn, and "soundcloud rap".

R&B was always experimental in sounds and themes, hell it probably was the most experimental American genre going well into the 80's. But it felt like hip-hop stole the torch as the trendsetter. What Weeknd did going into the 2010's wasn't exactly super new; throw in a heavy dose of atmosphere, screwed/leaned up hip-hop production, and self loathing drug talk. But it was such a change to the 'Party in the USA' bullshit that popular music was pushing out even though the Great Recession, it felt brand new.

It brought balance to the force, lol. Because while we all fondly remember those party nights when we are getting fucked up with friends meeting people, there were also those nights when you had no business being out and you knew you were trying to forget 'them' by getting fucked up and were being a pretty miserable person in the club. The asshole stealing drinks at the bar, stiffing you on drugs (or worse), rudely hitting on your friends..House of Balloons was a reminder that for all the glamorizing that nightlife gets there is a terribly shitty element to it also (as any DJ, Bartender, Bouncer, or promoter, etc can attest).

It sucks how music in general just went this opposite way and kind of stayed there for that decade; slower BPM trap drums, everyone thematically is depressed, etc. To the point newer Weeknd with his heavy synthed up disco sounds like kids bop in comparison even tho he's basically singing the same shit. But man, what a terribly underrated album even though Weeknd is a full fledged pop star...things changed in ways we are still dealing with as far as mainstream music is concerned.
I don't know a whole lot of artists that have the same sound as him from the Trilogy era, but I think it has been pretty influential. Plus the remasters went 2x platinum. But I think you are spot on in your description of House of Balloons. As hedonistic as its sound is, I also think his intention was to show how destructive that lifestyle can be resulting in depression.
Top tier mixtape.

Datpiff version > the re release on streaming platforms.
Huh, I have the datpiff versions of the mixtapes but isn't this the rerelease the exact same thing?
The special capsule collection for the anniversary is now up on the Weeknd's store.

shop.theweeknd.com

DANIEL ARSHAM X THE WEEKND HOUSE OF BALLOONS ANNIVERSARY 2LP VINYL

THIS ITEM IS ON PRE-ORDER. THE FIRST 1000 UNITS PURCHASED WILL SHIP IN SEPTEMBER 2021 WITH ALL UNITS PURCHASED AFTERWARDS EXPECTED TO SHIP IN MARCH 2022. DESIGNED BY DANIEL ARSHAM. “HOUSE OF BALLOONS” IS THE DEBUT ALBUM FROM THE WEEKND. THE PROJECT WAS ORIGINALLY RELEASED ON MARCH 21ST 2011 TO...

shop.theweeknd.com

HOUSE OF BALLOONS 10TH ANNIVERSARY 2LP VINYL

THIS ITEM IS ON PRE-ORDER AND WILL SHIP IN MARCH 2022. “HOUSE OF BALLOONS” IS THE DEBUT ALBUM FROM THE WEEKND. THE PROJECT WAS ORIGINALLY RELEASED ON MARCH 21ST 2011 TO HUGE FANFARE LEADING TO THREE MULTI PLATINUM SINGLES, ‘THE MORNING,’ ‘WICKED GAMES,’ AND ‘TWENTY EIGHT.’ LIMITED TO 4 PER...
I ordered two pieces of clothing and was telling myself I don't need the vinyl since I don't have a record player and might never, but I caved and ordered the Daniel Harsham version

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
go to his website

I remember you saying that in another thread :)

I don't know a whole lot of artists that have the same sound as him from the Trilogy era, but I think it has been pretty influential. Plus the remasters went 2x platinum. But I think you are spot on in your description of House of Balloons. As hedonistic as its sound is, I also think his intention was to show how destructive that lifestyle can be resulting in depression.

Huh, I have the datpiff versions of the mixtapes but isn't this the rerelease the exact same thing?

I ordered two pieces of clothing and was telling myself I don't need the vinyl since I don't have a record player and might never, but I caved and ordered the Daniel Harsham version

I was referring to the updated version he did a few years ago, not this specific one. The one that came with the entire Trilogy remastered. Sounded a little too...clean compared to the datpiff quality.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I was referring to the updated version he did a few years ago, not this specific one. The one that came with the entire Trilogy remastered. Sounded a little too...clean compared to the datpiff quality.
I agree. I like the vintage sounds that the original mixtapes have. And now that HoB is on Spotify I might never play the first 9 track of Trilogy ever again. lol

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Daniel Arsham did the reissue artwork:
hobvinylfrontcover_800x.png

I remember being in the car w Lizzo back when she lived in MPLS and showing her the song The Morning and she was like "WHO IS THIS."

Great album.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Daniel Arsham did the reissue artwork:
hobvinylfrontcover_800x.png

I remember being in the car w Lizzo back when she lived in MPLS and showing her the song The Morning and she was like "WHO IS THIS."

Great album.
hard to say no that design. sorta combines the feelings of nostalgia and contemporary status