• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xGeneral Ice

Nov 1, 2017
What are your guys opinions on his mainstream albums?

for me it goes After Hours > Star Boy =Dawn (still figuring out where it lands> BBTM

Also my dear melancholy over all of them but I don't think think that counts

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I always feel like I'm out of the cool kids club with Weeknd. I spin his albums one time and I'm just not compelled to go back. Tapped out at best friend. Maybe next time.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Album is damn good, but it's pretty samey in terms of production. I can see why people wouldn't dig it, but it fits thematically considering it's the long road to the light at the end of the tunnel. Can't rank it yet, needs a few more spins.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017

for me it goes After Hours > Star Boy =Dawn (still figuring out where it lands> BBTM

Kiss Land > After Hours > Starboy > Beauty Madness

Trilogy above all of it but of course that wasn't a studio album even if it was his best, most defining work

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Post Trilogy ranking

Kiss Land > After Hours = Dawn FM >>>>>>>>>BBTM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Starboy

I really don't like BBTM and Starboy at all

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Gasoline and less than zero went directly in on his top 10 tracks. better than after hours as an album comparing first listens. After hours was a singles album (lot of singles tho) and grew after a few listens, lets hope dawnFM does the same.

also stop with the beauty slander. Yes, why is Ed Sheehan on it, but the highlights are beyond-worldly.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I still see so many people shitting on Kiss Land online when it's one of my favourite albums from him.

As for this latest one, Abel doesn't miss. Loved the Jim Carrey narration too and overall vibe from this album. I still need to watch the Twitch VOD of the 1hr Dawn FM experience thing.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love chunks of Starboy, but the lows are really low. I never revisit BBTM haha just nothing appealing about that album.
Yeah, I have favorites from Starboy as well. The lows just really kill the album for me. BBTM has no lows, but I don't feel like it has highs either so that's why I rank it before Starboy. It's an inoffensive album.
Gasoline and less than zero went directly in on his top 10 tracks. better than after hours as an album comparing first listens. After hours was a singles album (lot of singles tho) and grew after a few listens, lets hope dawnFM does the same.

also stop with the beauty slander. Yes, why is Ed Sheehan on it, but the highlights are beyond-worldly.
I don't like his super mainstream pop era. There are standouts but it's nothing like his mixtapes. That is why After Hours is such a fantastic album to me. It takes what he's learned from mainstream music production and blends the darker tones of his origins into something perfect.

Last edited:

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Trilogy > Kiss Land > After Hours > My Dear Melancholy > Starboy > Dawn FM > Beauty Behind The Madness

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Kiss Land > After Hours > Starboy > Beauty Madness

Trilogy above all of it but of course that wasn't a studio album even if it was his best, most defining work

Yeah, Kissland doesn't get its due. It's arguably the best summation of the Weeknd 'sound' particularly the harder synth/electronic shit he would focus on in the this chapter were there in spades.

It felt like the Trilogy fans were mad at him expanding out of his self loathing experimental R&B phase and the future fans were like 'Who's dude that's getting hype, sounds weirdo music to me'

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually loved his latest album, before that my impression of him was just the epitome of a smug fuckboi. Starboy was like one of my most disliked songs I had to incidentally hear everywhere I went.

Respect anyone like him who can change and take risks and draw from a wide range of inspirations. Definitely a clear vision for what he's doing, won me over big time.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i heard you're married might be one of the cringiest songs i've ever heard. that lil wayne feature, too....why???

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to give Kiss Land another go, I don't think I've played it front to back since release.
Wow really? Then yes you definitely need to give it another go haha

It is very different from all of the rest of his albums.
Yeah, Kissland doesn't get its due. It's arguably the best summation of the Weeknd 'sound' particularly the harder synth/electronic shit he would focus on in the this chapter were there in spades.

It felt like the Trilogy fans were mad at him expanding out of his self loathing experimental R&B phase and the future fans were like 'Who's dude that's getting hype, sounds weirdo music to me'
I agree. I tried my best to put this into words in the OP, but Kiss Land as his debut studio album feels like a reflection of his mixtapes- but still an evolution from them since it is a studio album.

Kiss Land still sounded like the same Weeknd all in all, but Beauty Madness was his commercial debut. But as mainstream as it was I still think it contains his best record of all time (The Hills).

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying it so far. Feels like he elevated vaporware production techniques and combined them with some solid pop and dance structures. This will probably get a lot of play for me, but I can see why some people are bouncing off it if they're looking for something a little more traditional.

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
I'm a The Weeknd fan, but I might be one of the select few who never fully got into 'After Hours'. I'm finding this one more enjoyable on my first few listens.

Favorites as of now are "Gasoline", "Take My Breath", "Sacrifice", "Here We Go... Again" and "Less Than Zero".

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
I can say I like this album after listening to it outside of the stream. I prefer After Hours over this, and I do agree that the production across the album sounds similar, but I enjoy it more than Beauty Behind The Madness.

I just started listening to The Weeknd last year with After Hours so I'm not too familiar with his discography. I will give Trilogy a listen though due to how many people here view it as his best work even though it's not an album.

Standout tracks for me are How Do I Make You Love Me?, Sacrifice, Out of Time and Less Than Zero.

Oct 30, 2017
I always feel like I'm out of the cool kids club with Weeknd. I spin his albums one time and I'm just not compelled to go back. Tapped out at best friend. Maybe next time.
I'm there with you. I was really down with his first albums, House of Balloons, but his later stuff i just bounce on after one listen. I'm going to try with this, and the times i can hear Oneohtrix I get excited, but everything just sounds same, and nothing really feels raw and soulful.
Dude was great in Uncut Gems playing probably a very accurate version of himself doing coke in a toilet with someone else's girl he trying to bang.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I can say I like this album after listening to it outside of the stream. I prefer After Hours over this, and I do agree that the production across the album sounds similar, but I enjoy it more than Beauty Behind The Madness.

I just started listening to The Weeknd last year with After Hours so I'm not too familiar with his discography. I will give Trilogy a listen though due to how many people here view it as his best work even though it's not an album.

Standout tracks for me are How Do I Make You Love Me?, Sacrifice, Out of Time and Less Than Zero.

You're in for a treat, and despite the marketing as a 'mixtape' they are albums, its more a reference on how he was unsigned and independent at the time.

All I would recommend, not knowing how its packaged on streaming, is sit with each record individually as opposed to treating it as a triple album because they were recorded (and treated as) individual records. Its alot to take in one sitting.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
After Hours is IMO Weeknd's 2nd best after Trilogy so it was always going to be hard to match it.

I liked Out of Time and How Do I Make You Love me, the former kinda reminded me of I Feel it Coming. I preferred the single version of Take My Breath. Rest of the album was kind of a miss for me, though Jim Carey's narration is fun.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
You're in for a treat, and despite the marketing as a 'mixtape' they are albums, its more a reference on how he was unsigned and independent at the time.

All I would recommend, not knowing how its packaged on streaming, is sit with each record individually as opposed to treating it as a triple album because they were recorded (and treated as) individual records. Its alot to take in one sitting.
Ok thanks. Yeah looking at the track listing I didn't expect 30 plus tracks even with the name is Trilogy lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Starboy = After Hours > Dawn (So far, I didnt click with a lot of Starboy until a few listens so who knows) >> BBTM.

Daft Punk's Discovery is my all time favorite album so obviously im gonna be biased towards the album they featured on twice but After Hours was so good.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Hours is IMO Weeknd's 2nd best after Trilogy so it was always going to be hard to match it.

I liked Out of Time and How Do I Make You Love me, the former kinda reminded me of I Feel it Coming. I preferred the single version of Take My Breath. Rest of the album was kind of a miss for me, though Jim Carey's narration is fun.
I wanted to check if there were others who thought this as well. Thought the album version kinda dragged and didn't add much quality to the track. The single is straight fire.

I enjoyed the album overall. Not nearly as good as the predecessor in my opinion, but there's some solid tracks still.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
loved the concept of the album, very coherent and well produced throughout. and the best feature was...Jim Carrey?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Am I the only one who really likes Gasoline? Nothing else from the rest of the album grabbed me after hearing that for the first time.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
On first listen, that… didn't go well. Not a fan of this one. A few decent songs but a rather large step down from anything I've heard from him.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who really likes Gasoline? Nothing else from the rest of the album grabbed me after hearing that for the first time.
Nope. It's the best song. Probably why it's the first real track. I want more of that style. But I understand why some fans would hate it. Sounds very new wave-y.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I'm there with you. I was really down with his first albums, House of Balloons, but his later stuff i just bounce on after one listen. I'm going to try with this, and the times i can hear Oneohtrix I get excited, but everything just sounds same, and nothing really feels raw and soulful.
Dude was great in Uncut Gems playing probably a very accurate version of himself doing coke in a toilet with someone else's girl he trying to bang.
This is my take as well. It feels manufactured. I'm ready for whatever single I'm going to hear for the rest of the year, but this is just not hitting.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love the album version of Take My Breath, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to listen to Less Than Zero on repeat for a while because goddamn that track is catchy.

CB3

Oct 25, 2017
Album is *really* growing on me. I still think Out Of Time is the stand out, but I can listen to this album from start to finish without skipping a single track, which is my #1 indicator for an all timer.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana

it's alright, nothing really grabbing me too much but
is there someone else is disgusting in the best ways.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017

The album is getting great reviews. My personal favorites are Less Than Zero, Out of time, and Sacrifice. Trilogy is still his best album but I might like this more than After Hours.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Came in expecting fire tracks in the vein of Moth to a Flame.

Came out feeling quite underwhelmed, and frankly annoyed at the way this narration ruined some songs, especially Out of Time.

I'll never be returning to this album in the future.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
I'm gonna need a few more listens to decide where I stand on this. I thought it was fine during the livestream, but listening to it afterwards makes me think a lot of that came from the energy of the crowd. Besides Gasoline and Less Than Zero, nothing really stands out, and I'm wondering if that's down to production, or just the songwriting being a little half-baked.

Honestly, the entire concept of the album is kind of weird, and maybe a bit limiting from an artistic perspective? Like, the idea of being forced to listen to 70s/80s easy listening radio, while stuck in a traffic jam on the road to purgatory, sounds like an extremely specific form of ironically humorous torture that Douglas Adams might've come up with. The entire concept of easy listening is that your songs are basically background for whatever, which does not seem like a good framework to hang an interesting or adventurous album around. Respect to Jim Carrey for making his bits work, at least.

tl;dr: I'm wondering if this album is mid on purpose to match the concept.