• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I don't know how far you got into the album but it changes up it's tone from "Sacrifice" on.

It's definitely still very pop oriented. There's some good material here, and I do enjoy his pop oriented tracks, but it's definitely a full focus on the 80's synths. I love the transitions, and there's some genuinely great tracks like "Is There Somebody Else?" and "Out of Time", while the more dance oriented tracks like "Take My Breath", "Don't Break My Heart" & "Sacrifice" are fun. But generally, on a first listen, a massive step down sonically from After Hours.

Should still be a big hit with some fun times and kudos on the concept with Jim Carrey, but I don't see myself coming back to several tracks here.

Lowkey20

Nov 18, 2020
This is terrible. Easily his worst album. What is "Gasoline"?? Admittedly not my style, though. I like old Abel. This is too clean, manufactured and pop. I like a little grit on my Abel albums.

May 17, 2018
Working on my second listen. Feeling a 7/10. Not the biggest fan of the dance focus he's had the past two albums although this album isn't the disaster i was expecting after those singles (THANK GOD that Post Malone song isn't here).

I really want him to walk away from Max Martin for a couple of albums. This is a good addition to the Weeknd's discography but it's not competing with the giants in his discography.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad. I hope he got all of this sound out of his system with this album though.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Man, Max Martin being at the wheel really kinda saved this album. Not really feeling much of it still though.

xGeneral Ice

Nov 1, 2017
It's a well produced album, but it's definitely like his last 3 albums.

also this album is fucking about Ariana grande lol. fuck boi Abel is the best

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely still very pop oriented. There's some good material here, and I do enjoy his pop oriented tracks, but it's definitely a full focus on the 80's synths. I love the transitions, and there's some genuinely great tracks like "Is There Somebody Else?" and "Out of Time", while the more dance oriented tracks like "Take My Breath", "Don't Break My Heart" & "Sacrifice" are fun. But generally, on a first listen, a massive step down sonically from After Hours.

Should still be a big hit with some fun times and kudos on the concept with Jim Carrey, but I don't see myself coming back to several tracks here.

This is where I'm at. I'm not mad about it. AFTER HOURS took me by surprise. I've never liked a Weeknd album as much as that one. It felt massive and wildly cinematic.

Max Martin is missed. He is not the producer on a lions share of these tracks.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish I liked this more. Love almost all of his work but this just isn't hitting for me.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
After Hours is still better imo but idk maybe a strong 7.5/10?

ngl I needed more toxic grimey vibes lmfao, I wanted more Is There Someone Else type tracks lol

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
This is great. I don't like it as much as After Hours but that's not saying much considering how much I love that album. I can already tell that this one is gonna grow on me a lot with more listens. I liked Tyler, The Creator's feature but uh... yeah, I'm gonna need an edit of I Heard You're Married without Lil Wayne on it. That was just painful to listen to on an otherwise great track. The Jim Carrey stuff was surprisingly effective at bookending the album. Is There Someone Else? and Less Than Zero are my early favorites.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
This is where I'm at. I'm not mad about it. AFTER HOURS took me by surprise. I've never liked a Weeknd album as much as that one. It felt massive and wildly cinematic.

Max Martin is missed. He is not the producer on a lions share of these tracks.

He came back too soon. This sound has aged way too quickly for him due to how overexposed it is along with him, especially with all the features he did recently. If he wanted to capitalize on this sound, should've stayed away from doing too many features. But then again, going away for too long at his current age is dangerous given how fickle the audience can get for male pop artists.

The albums okay. Not saving all the songs from this onto my playlist, which is a first from him for me.

Gasoline
How Do I Make You Love Me?
Take My Breath
Sacrifice
Out of Time
Is There Somebody Else?
Starry Eyes
Don't Break My Heart

After Hours is significantly better. This is a decent 6/10 from me on a few listens. Those songs along with the concept with Jim Carrey really carries it.

Mentosrock

Nov 4, 2019
Wow, this album is absolutely incredible.. This has to be huge. How do I make you Love me? Sacrifice.. Damn all these songs are so good.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
After Hours is a better album imo. This is okay, but it's the sound is too pop and "clean".... it's hard to describe.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Album becomes good/great after the tale of quincy jones.

God bless Quincy Jones.

edit; also album too long syndrome.
edit: vince staples had the better FM concept album… big bwwooooi!!!

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
To say The Weeknd 'sampled' Midnight Pretenders by Tomoko Aran on the song Out of Time is an understatement.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Really like the album, love the synthy vibe going on here, was excited for that after first hearing Take My Breath and it didn't disappoint. Not quite as good as After Hours, but that's okay and it definitely has an identity of it's own to make it stand out in his portfolio.

What more needs to be said? The man can basically do no wrong, banger album after banger album, it's insane.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Gonna need to listen to each song quite a few times. Slowly growing on me

I love Best Friends

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Sacrifice" and "is there someone else" are my joints....whew....fucking fire

I agree with another poster that was saying it aint as good as After Hours but it is definitely distinct and has its own feel and is still a great album..

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
This album is great, I've also gotten back into listening to 808's and heartbreaks and future again and the new James Blake

I can feel the heartbreak coming

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
The leaked track list I posted lists the features

The leaker also said this today - "This is the album for Trilogy lovers who didn't click well with After Hours and Starboy"
After Hours and Starboy were great albums though. Beauty Madness is the only one that feels off - if that. If anything.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having trouble making my way through this. I dunno. The production and mixing is too clean and loud.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

I prefer After Hours but it's always easy to prefer something that you're intimately familiar with. I still really like this album though

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
i haven't really listened to Abel since his initial mixtapes years ago but this album is fire so far, I'm about half way through. Getting heavy Draft Punk / Tron Legacy Score vibes off the instrumentals

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
So far, so good. There are very few songs which I really like so far. But I'm sure all of them will grow a lot on me.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love this album from start to finish. It's dark 80s city pop. That's my exact favorite sound. This is what I expected Starboy to be lol

Jim Carrey is amazing on this, too. Really sets the tone.

I have three specific favorites, but I'll need to give it another listen to give them a solid rank.

"Sacrifice", "Is There Someone Else?", "Don't Break My Heart" speak to me the most, though.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
that outro track is some dr seuss shit but it works, haha

After Hours remains his best work IMO but i've got to spend some more time with this one

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
"Less Than Zero" easily the standout here. I gave the whole album three spins, and while I like the general concept a lot, most of the other songs don't do it for me so far. After Hours grabbed me way faster.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely his worst album since he went full mainstream. There are a couple of gems, but also his absolute worst songs ever.

I'm extremely disappointed.