• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
The Grammys (outside specialized categories) are so much more about industry politics, and rewarding commercially successful album campaigns, than they are about quality. So it's deeply, deeply suspect that a campaign as successful as "After Hours," an absolute standout this year, didn't score nominations.

The idea that it's just all Academy voters and so them's the breaks and that the nominations couldn't be washed requires a lot of faith in the Academy that I don't personally have.

I say all of this as someone who could otherwise take or leave his work. Something is up.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
When Mariah lost to U2 it was obvious they were trash.

Does anyone even remember their album? Meanwhile, We Belong Together is nearing 500 million views on Youtube.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Hours was amazing. He is right to call them out. You'll probably never see Tyler the Creator win another Grammy either since he called out their racist bullshit too.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Not saying he didn't deserve a nomination but I really don't get the hype for this album

FateShirou

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Im in awe on how all you fucking boomers keep finding this site and are able to post, like jfc

anyways on topic, props to the weeknd

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Grammy's are trash, so I'm not sad to see them get called out.

His album was probably one of the best big commercial releases of the year.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
I think this article on Rolling Stone might be worth a read for anyone who's skeptical the Academy does anything other than present an unbiased list of nominees.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It truly boggles the mind how so many utterly refuse to use Google.

On topic, ordinarily, this would read as entitled, but when your album is universal appraise, a single that has been number 1 for months and has been on the charts for most of 2020, and is literally one of the highest selling albums of the year, this is incredibly fishy.

Hell, the fact the Grammys nominated a Coldplay album that no one talked about and "Hollywood's Bleeding" over this is the kind of omission that makes me incredibly suspicious.

Im in awe on how all you fucking boomers keep finding this site and are able to post, like jfc

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
My first thought was, just because something was a big commercial success doesn't mean it's entitled to award nominations. But then I remembered this is the Grammys...if there was any awards show tailored solely to commercial popularity this is the one.
How could someone even ironically think that about The Weeknd lol. Are you a fucking boomer? Or are you trying really hard?
Personally I wouldn't say The Weeknd is trash at all, Blinding Lights is a goddamn great song. BUT I think everything between the mixtapes and Dear Melancholy sucked. Starboy was a garbage waste of Daft Punk.

When Mariah lost to U2 it was obvious they were trash.

Does anyone even remember their album? Meanwhile, We Belong Together is nearing 500 million views on Youtube.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? You picked the one memorable U2 album out of the last 20 years lol. Vertigo was all over those iPod commercials for forever. City of Blinding Lights was Barack Obama's theme song!

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
No. You provided an incomplete context that contributed to the narrative that he tweeted this just because he's salty. Hopefully you understand the full context by now.
Contributed to whose narrative?

I didn't make that post in response to that other poster you quoted me with in your post, nor did I quote them. I quoted another poster who asked for more context, and that was the context.

Just because my post was after theirs, does not mean I was posting in addition to their post. It just so happens I posted after them.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
My first thought was, just because something was a big commercial success doesn't mean it's entitled to award nominations. But then I remembered this is the Grammys...if there was any awards show tailored solely to commercial popularity this is the one.

Personally I wouldn't say The Weeknd is trash at all, Blinding Lights is a goddamn great song. BUT I think everything between the mixtapes and Dear Melancholy sucked. Starboy was a garbage waste of Daft Punk.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? You picked the one memorable U2 album out of the last 20 years lol. Vertigo was all over those iPod commercials for forever. City of Blinding Lights was Barack Obama's theme song!

And We Belong Together is more remembered so who deserved it in the end?

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
The Grammys have been the worst of the major awards for decades. Say you want about the Oscars, but you wouldn't ever see the music equivalent to Moonlight winning the big one (yeah I know it's a pretty dumb comparison, but still). They are insanely out of touch.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Can you blame them though? I would be too if a lot of the artists I grew up on had one. They all know it's industry politics but it doesn't lessen the desire to have one.

It should... Enough is enough. Damn. Grammys aint been shit forever. Had to boycott them to get them to even treat black music with a little respect. Long past time to stop seeking validation from them.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was literally the only way for Oneohtrix Point Never to get a Grammy because lord knows the crusty fucks at the Academy won't ever listen to an album if its even the slightest bit challenging.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Suspect as fuck and he's right for calling them out. This reeks of trying to put the talent in its place after he had the gall to negotiate with the Grammys.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
ZERO nominations?

Zero. 0?

Whether you think he's "entitled" or not, that's 100% bullshit.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Blinding Lights has had incredible staying power. Whenever it comes on the radio in the car, my wife and I are still to this day singing along...

What the fuck else got nominated instead???

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Yea. That's because they actually care about the awards and want recognition.
Yeah, for artists they do care even if we don't.

Here's a tweet that speaks to this too,

Have to feel bad for him, especially if the stories are true behind why he got snubbed. Being snubbed was bad already, but if they did it as payback for not choosing to perform for them, and for the Superbowl, that's just next level garbage.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, for artists they do care even if we don't.

Here's a tweet that speaks to this too,

Have to feel bad for him, especially if the stories are true behind why he got snubbed. Being snubbed was bad already, but if they did it as payback for not choosing to perform for them, and for the Superbowl, that's just next level garbage.

Tweets broken, but I am curious about it.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I just love music and will give everything a chance, even new albums from artists I have no faith in.
This is how it's done. Listen to everything even if it's not your cup of tea. Almost all artists deserve at least one full listen of their latest output.

I'm not a fan of him either but ya gotta listen. I thought it was mostly generic and same-y Catchy, yeah, but generic. Goes for most pop music nowadays lol

We can do better.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Grammys have been a joke for as long as I've followed the music industry.
When Beck won for the sequel to Sea Change, I wrote them off completely.

An aside:

Beck should've won long ago, multiple times even. But to win for Morning Phase is just hilarious to me. It's a good, solid album but nowhere near his top output. Especially with all the other great stuff that came out in 2014.

Glad he got recognized finally after decades of killing it but his three wins should've gone to someone else that year. I would take Blue Moon as the best 'rock' song of the year, however. But of everyone nominated, it would be more fitting for The Black Keys or Ryan Adams as Blue Moon is not really what I would call rock lol
folk... maybe.

I say all this as a big Beck fan.

Even with his wins, fuck the Grammys. I hope they fade into obscurity.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I have no love for the Weeknd but his music was undeniably massive in 2020 and the grammys doesn't pretend to be anything other than a popularity contest. His exclusion while shit like Yummy and Coldplay get nominations is pure fuckshit, plain and simple.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
I see most of his fans' YouTube comments... comparing him to Prince and MJ .. he is really that good? MJ is the King of Pop and Prince is just ungodly. He might be a good artist but maybe I am old but I don't see the comparisons matching..

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I see most of his fans' YouTube comments... comparing him to Prince and MJ .. he is really that good? MJ is the King of Pop and Prince is just ungodly. He might be a good artist but maybe I am old but I don't see the comparisons matching..
It's his voice mostly. And showmanship.

Same has been said about Bruno Mars. Someone needs to fill those gaps!

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the nominees, I can see why he's upset

while we're on the subject, based on merit, his last album was mediocre though imo