• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
They constantly break the rules by vacationing all over the place and 'influencing' on social media making it seem like it's perfectly okay to travel and host massive parties unrestricted. They push to reopen the country while they have their workforce die to keep sustaining their way of life. And now they want to be first in line for the vaccine once they see it's effective. Yeah, fuck off. Back of the line.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I mean isnt this how free market works? There is a thing that people desire and they are willing to pay more for it than others. People scalp PS5 or Xbox Series X why wouldnt they scalp vaccines that are short in supply? Unless there are laws that stipulate a clear order who gets prioritized its going to be the wild west.
And now you see why a basic human right like healthcare shouldn't be left to the free market.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
And now you see why a basic human right like healthcare shouldn't be left to the free market.
I agree with you but for in this type of scenario. Even if we had M4A, there would be rich people trying to get it under the table.

I'd just have like a $1m (or whatever is appropriately sky high) fast lane for all these people and use that money to make vaccines for the developing world which will be dead last to get it the whole this is going.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The rich getting desperate and offering to pay for special treatment? That's a point that writes itself in every disaster story.

They should get in line like everyone else. Money shouldn't affect the medical decision making that decides who gets treated first.

As for accepting the donations pay for more vaccines, there are a few points to make here:
- the rich have the most means to avoid getting infected. They have more space and can afford services that promote distancing, such as deliveries. They don't have to take public transit to work, and so on. They can afford to wait, but don't want to.
- it's not like the government doesn't have the money to pay for more vaccines. They just refuse to spend it on vaccines and stimulus, and instead keep handing more money to the rich. They'd rather pay the blood cost of letting common people die so that they can save money.
- the rich getting millions from opening their businesses early or defying covid orders, only to spend a few thousand to bribe doctors for special treatment over those who are more at risk is maximum dystopian capitalist hellhole bullshit. Giving in to that shit would only encourage the rich to be even more scummy. And if you think about it, 25k is fucking nothing to a rich business owner.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Anti-vax rhetoric
They'd have to pay me to be the first guinea pigs of mRNA vaccine.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Covid vaccine are the the first mRNA ever approved. I'm certainly in no hurry to get on the train first.

The reason they are approved is because they have been tested, it isn't like these people are the first guinea pigs. mRNA has been around for a much longer time.

I would not say there is no risk, but as with other types of vaccines, there is a high degree of confidence in their safety.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
is this anti-vax fear-mongering?

These vaccines are the first mRNA vaccines to be widely distributed to humans, but the technology has been in development for a long time. That's why the covid vaccine could be created so fast - it's using existing technology for a new disease that is very closely related to other diseases that we already know about and have researched.

Second, these vaccines have gone through months of trials with thousands of people, just like any other vaccine. People getting it now are definitely not the first guinea pigs.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
These vaccines are the first mRNA vaccines to be widely distributed to humans, but the technology has been in development for a long time. That's why the covid vaccine could be created so fast - it's using existing technology for a new disease that is very closely related to other diseases that we already know about and have researched.

Second, these vaccines have gone through months of trials with thousands of people, just like any other vaccine. People getting it now are definitely not the first guinea pigs.

I get both of these points but it's odd to point out that regular citizens are guinea pigs when there obviously has been extensive trials

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They'll find a way, I'm sure. I expect to hear about celebrities getting the vaccine before I do, as a teacher (word is vaccines are rolling out for teachers around Februrary in my state, but who knows).

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you but for in this type of scenario. Even if we had M4A, there would be rich people trying to get it under the table.

I'd just have like a $1m (or whatever is appropriately sky high) fast lane for all these people and use that money to make vaccines for the developing world which will be dead last to get it the whole this is going.
How about we tax that 1 million from the wealthy and they remain shush in their spot of the line instead

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Fuck this shit. Fuck the rich. Literal parasites. Seeing how a lot of celebs have continued to travel or how businessmen literally do not care about anyone but themselves and made their workers risk getting this virus so they can keep making money should have pissed us all off and incited massive calls for change. I have no doubt they'll all be vaccinated very soon because hey, their luxury and privilege is essential and they need to be able to get back to it, fuck us poors who haven't seen our family in months or have struggled with how this has affected our jobs, that shit can wait.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll get the vaccines early, too. Most if not all hospitals have VIP protocols in place. I won't name names, but the place I used to work at would put wealthy patients in personal suites and even arrange visits by the CEO to check in on them, have a nursing detail dedicated solely to their care, and provide them every fucking amenity under the sun.

The point of course was to hit them up for big donations after they were discharged. I always wondered what kinds of returns they got on their "investments," but those numbers don't get reported.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I mean what's the point of being rich if you can't steal someone's potential lifesaving vaccine.

Eat the rich, etc

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So you would not want to get the vaccine earlier if you had the option?
If I knew the option would come at the cost of a doctor or nurse possibly not getting theirs? Or an elderly patient who has no chance of fighting it if they contract it?

No... because I'm not that greedy or lack that kind of empathy. I can wait a while longer.

Fuck these people.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion here.

We can be angry that some rich guy will manage to cut the line, but honestly it's probably also the opinion of someone living in a poor country.

Most of us will get the vaccine next year, but that is a privilege because most of us live in a rich country. On a global level probably we are cutting the line as well.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to pull a Lori Laughlin with the COVID vaccine.
Maybe they'll have some specials COVID vaccine+ get your kids into USC lol for one low price.
Give the rich a placebo, tell them immunity will trickle down.

Nov 18, 2020
Neo-liberal capitalism, ladies and gentlemen. Insufficient regulations leading to the wealthy reaping a disproportionate amount of benefits. It's a tale as old as time.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't lock the vaccine. Waiting 2 more years to see the pandemic pan out in the rest of the world will be far more costly than just letting everyone make the vaccine and distribute it. But this is capitalism we're talking about.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
At what point do we declare the rich as inherently bad people?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this isn't shocking. The rich want to be safe despite not doing anything but make money.

I already bet Zuck, Bezos and Musk bribed someone at this point.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
From SoCal, not an essential worker, was told by my OBGYN that I would probably be able to get the vaccine in Feb.

She said that tons of people here don't want to take it (that are eligible), like 50%, so they're predicting we might be able to get it much earlier than anticipated (originally April).

Also, she stressed that although it wasn't tested in pregnant women, it's been highly recommended by two bodies that are authorities OBGYN-stuff in the US, and that my baby would get antibodies from the shot too through the placenta, so at this point I think I will get it ASAP.

Except in most case, for research, the more money doesn't go to the research, but to the owner pocket, the money for research isn't from normal people or rich people but government

Yep.

Or, and hear me out, you schedule who gets doses based on proper public health policy and science, and then you tax the rich more than the current paltry amount to raise money. You know, rather than yet again setting in stone the injustice, corruption and inequality of the system for everyone to see.

That would be ideal :(.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it weird that I'm completely not in a rush to get the vaccine? I mean with my current lifestyle, I'm pretty comfortable with the methods I've used to avoid the virus, it's not really super difficult unless you're in a high risk position. This isn't mean to blame anyone who gets it, of course (well, unless they're obviously blameworthy), it's just like, I know how to not get COVID for the time being. I'll get the vaccine when it's easy to do so.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At what point do we declare the rich as inherently bad people?
past due.

beYxzzn.png

Unpopular opinion here.

We can be angry that some rich guy will manage to cut the line, but honestly it's probably also the opinion of someone living in a poor country.

Most of us will get the vaccine next year, but that is a privilege because most of us live in a rich country. On a global level probably we are cutting the line as well.
We are doing worse than cutting the line, the US (on behalf of our pharmaceutical companies) is actively trying to make it more expensive for the developing world by fighting against any attempt for intellectual property relief for COVID vaccines.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion here.

There is no active malice and sociopathy to being born in a developed country (although, let's be honest, America is a special hellhole in its own right, to say nothing of the fact that- regardless of our status on the world stage- the developing world is actually doing better at mitigating the virus than we are anyway!) You are, legitimately, an asshole bound for hell, if you are trying to pay doctors to give you a vaccine before all of the frontline workers get it. Excusing rich people with "but you live in America" is some "you live in society while criticizing society" mess.

Just stop giving them quarter. They ain't gon pay for you to skip the line no way!

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
They'd have to pay me to be the first guinea pigs of mRNA vaccine.

The first "guinea pigs" were the tens of thousands of volunteers who got the vaccine months ago. The second "guinea pigs" are healthcare workers and very old people in assisted living who are more then happy to get vaccinated because they know how dangerous the virus is. Someone like you is in no danger of being first, second or even third in line to get vaccinated. And no, you won't be paid a cent.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
How about $25 million per shot or 50% of net wealth, whichever is greater, all to medical charities. Then maybe we can talk about going ahead in line.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, if Jeff Bezos will write a $300 check for every American making less than $50,000/year - give him the vaccine.

Some of that would even end back in his pocket when people order shit from Amazon.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was one of the main reasons that Republicans were so desperate for a COVID-19 liability shield.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, fuck this. Bootlicking the rich and famous never ceases to amaze me.
look at polling something like 40% of people say they dont trust it, or believe nuty conspiracy theories about it. best way to break that is to show them the very people they believe are behind thoes things getting the vaccine they think is bad. combine that withj fomo should get most of the rest to want it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
look at polling something like 40% of people say they dont trust it, or believe nuty conspiracy theories about it. best way to break that is to show them the very people they believe are behind thoes things getting the vaccine they think is bad. combine that withj fomo should get most of the rest to want it.
I don't think that pictures of like Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnel getting shots is going to do much to sway public opinion one way or another. And maybe more importantly, I really don't think it's the reason why our politicians are insisting that they'll get it first.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Medicine has been more about "give us money" than it has been about "we need to help people" for a long time. Gotta pay for that new vacation house somehow.