• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I find this kinda surprising! What was your first console and how'd you never touch a Nintendo console until recently? I'm not asking mockingly, but genuinely curious. I'm an American in my late 30's and I couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who has owned a Nintendo.
I had a Gameboy and a DS, if that helps! I loved Pokemon growing up.
But consoles were always the domain of PlayStation and then Xbox for me. Nintendo wasn't all that big where I grew up, and I never felt like I was missing something. Like, I'd see reviews gushing over Ocarina of Time, and I'd shrug and go back to FF7 (I went on to play OOT and love it, just a few weeks ago in fact, haha).

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I ended up somewhat resenting that final BOTW trailer because it implies the game is full of emotional plot beats and in actuality that stuff is around 0.1% of the game.

The Odyssey trailers are both excellent, just masterful. I like the game but I do think it is a bit shallow and designed around playing in quick bursts.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Remember people in the old country saying the first trailer gave them Sonic 2006 vibes
Classic, almost as classic as 3D World looking bland compared to the majesty of Sonic Lost World.

now I'm hyped to see which crazy sonic related take comes next for our next mario reveal trailer.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up somewhat resenting that final BOTW trailer because it implies the game is full of emotional plot beats and in actuality that stuff is around 0.1% of the game.

The Odyssey trailers are both excellent, just masterful. I like the game but I do think it is a bit shallow and designed around playing in quick bursts.
Same. People gush over a trailer that is essentially false advertising.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The trailers were pretty great I'll give you that. I got very excited when they showed New Donk City for the first time, it looked exactly like the kick in the pants Mario needed. The game didn't quite live up to the hype, though the inevitable Odyssey 2 could remedy that.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that the game was first shown without much fanfare and no name during the Switch reveal.

I still can't get over this. They revealed a brand new, mainline Mario game as an aside to something else! Didn't even give a name! I'm not complaining, by the way. I think it was great. It made more of an impression on me than a straight announcement would have. Revealing a brand new, innovative console wasn't enough. They just had to throw in Mario too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's overall marketing and trailers when it came to Switch has been absolutely on point, and Odyssey has been the most exemplary case of it.

Odyssey was so good, really hope we get an Odyssey 2.

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember people in the old country saying the first trailer gave them Sonic 2006 vibes
Lol yeah. Or that it looks like an auto runner.
I just mean I didn't like the final game as much as I thought I would based on the trailers.
The Switch was my first Nintendo console ever, and i got it with Mario and Smash, and my early disappointment with Mario almost convinced me Nintendo may not be for me.
Thankfully, Smash (and other games I went on to play) ended up disproving the notion.
Ah got you. Can't personally understand how someone can be disappointed with Odyssey outside some redundant moons but that's up to taste I guess. And yeah, cool to have seen you stick around. I liked your Zelda marathon and how much you came away liking WW. :)

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I like watching reactions to the E3 Mario Odyssey trailer. People are just exhausted after it.

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same. People gush over a trailer that is essentially false advertising.
It's not false advertising, come on now.
Yes, the story beats were cut together in a manner that transported urgency where there was none and the music was more dramatic than anything ingame, too.

But I wouldn't call it false advertising like for example the first Anthem trailer.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not false advertising, come on now.
Yes, the story beats were cut together in a manner that transported urgency where there was none and the music was more dramatic than anything ingame, too.

But I wouldn't call it false advertising like for example the first Anthem trailer.
It was basically the last trailer before launch and made to hype everyone up. Anyone that hyped the game up for having an epic story got let down very hard. It's a damn big difference. Made to look like the best story in the series and was worse than maybe any since the original game.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It was basically the last trailer before launch and made to hype everyone up. Anyone that hyped the game up for having an epic story got let down very hard. It's a damn big difference. Made to look like the best story in the series and was worse than maybe any since the original game.
As someone who bought the game for the story trailer, I was the opposite of let down by the game.
You're embellishing the negatives to suit your narrative. Again.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Ah got you. Can't personally understand how someone can be disappointed with Odyssey outside some redundant moons but that's up to taste I guess. And yeah, cool to have seen you stick around. I liked your Zelda marathon and how much you came away liking WW. :)
Thanks haha. I just found Odyssey very... it didn't exactly engage me? I mean, I knew it was a well made game even as I played it, I just felt nothing. Nothing against the game though! That says more about me than it :)

And yeah, Wind Waker was great haha. I am not enjoying Twilight Princess at all, though...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who bought the game for the story trailer, I was the opposite of let down by the game.
You're embellishing the negatives to suit your narrative. Again.
The story is literally the old guy telling you to save zelda when you get the chance. How am I embellishing anything? The trailer cleverly cut all the cutscenes that turned out to be a handful of flashbacks to look like this epic emotional heavy story.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The story is literally the old guy telling you to save zelda when you get the chance. How am I embellishing anything? The trailer cleverly cut all the cutscenes that turned out to be a handful of flashbacks to look like this epic emotional heavy story.
You're embellishing it by making it seem as though anyone who was impressed by the trailer's promise for the story was let down by the game.
That is a lie.

Agreed.

These trailers were great.
Yup. Plus they introduced that really catchy song :)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You're embellishing it by making it seem as though anyone who was impressed by the trailer's promise for the story was let down by the game.
That is a lie.

Yup. Plus they introduced that really catchy song :)
I didn't say anyone that was impressed by that trailer was letdown. I said tons of people saw that trailer and expected something very different and were let down. What's your beef with me pointing out a fact?

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks haha. I just found Odyssey very... it didn't exactly engage me? I mean, I knew it was a well made game even as I played it, I just felt nothing. Nothing against the game though! That says more about me than it :)

And yeah, Wind Waker was great haha. I am not enjoying Twilight Princess at all, though...
Oh there are a lot of plays on nostalgia like that Donk City part where you go 2D and the music starts playing, that probably do nothing for you. Or that completely new take on Bowesers Castle which isn't new for you because you didn't really play through Boweser's Castle stages before lol.

I feel you on Twilight Princess, really do. Midna is one of the only good parts of that game. :/ Worst mainline Zelda together with Skyward Sword. SS is worse though.

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get the disappointment of the narrative being framed in a way it didn't turn out to be. The story is there though, even if it's told in a really inconsequential way. I delivered on anything else in the trailer though. The divine beasts, the creatures shown, everything.

Like, the trailer gives me goosebumps, and the game doesn't. But personally that's ok for me because well, an open world game with that intensity doesn't exist and probably never will. Game had other strenghts.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Oh there are a lot of plays on nostlagia like that Donk City part where you go 2D and the music starts playing. Or that completely new take on Bowesers Castle which isn't new for you because you didn't really play through Boweser's Castle stages before lol.

I feel you on Twilight Princess, really do. Midna is one of the only good parts of that game. :/ Worst mainline Zelda together with Skyward Sword. SS is worse though.
If Skyward Sword is worse, I really really really do not want to play it.
Games that are this bad usually end up almost killing their franchises, God of War barely survived Ascension, here it seems like Zelda got multiple games like that haha. It's a surprise it was allowed to continue after that.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Games that are this bad usually end up almost killing their franchises, God of War barely survived Ascension, here it seems like Zelda got multiple games like that haha. It's a surprise it was allowed to continue after that.
Twilight princess is bad? Since when was this the narrative, lol?

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Let's just say Skyward Sword somehow manages to have an even slower start and even though it has a cool item upgrade system, manages to make text pop up every time you pick up an ingredient for that system. And by every time I mean every time you turn the console off the game thinks you have amnesia and explains the same ingredient to you again when you pick it up for the first time in the next play session. Over and over again.
Combine that with the worst sidekick in Zelda history (she has the personality of a robot because she basically is one, and does 4th wall breaking stuff like reminding you the battery is low).

I would still recommend to paly it though, it has some really cool dungeon ideas (one is so good I was assuming they'll bring it back for BotW 100%, but somehow they didn't) and bosses. It has one of my favourite dungeons in the whole series. Another one is the Wind Temple in Wind Waker for reference. I think the Zelda formula was strong enough for me to finish it, even if there are some really bad parts about it.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Odyssey trailers were amazing. I love the first trailer show you all those weird places, and at the end they show you Cappy, some months later in the E3 trailer the first 10 seconds tease you with the capture mechanic. Man I want play Odyssey now, but I'm at work ;_;

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
We live in a timeline where a game sold over 10 million, got a 95 mc and 90 user score, but "almost killed the franchise" I guess.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Twilight princess is bad? Since when was this the narrative, lol?
Only based on what I feel. To my knowledge it actually got great reviews and sold well.

Let's just say Skyward Sword somehow manages to have an even slower start and even though it has a cool item upgrade system, manages to make text pop up every time you pick up an ingredient for that system. And by every time I mean every time you turn the console off the game thinks you have amnesia and explains the same ingredient to you again when you pick it up for the first time in the next play session. Over and over again.
Combine that with the worst sidekick in Zelda history (she has the personality of a robot because she basically is one, and does 4th wall breaking stuff like reminding you the battery is low).

I would still recommend to paly it though, it has some really cool dungeon ideas (one is so good I was assuming they'll bring it back for BotW 100%, but somehow they didn't) and bosses. It has one of my favourite dungeons in the whole series. Another one is the Wind Temple in Wind Waker for reference. I think the Zelda formula was strong enough for me to finish it, even if there are some really bad parts about it.
Thanks for the explanation! I will get to it eventually... but I need to finish Twilight Princess first, which I can't even get myself to do right now, plus there's so many great new current games I also need to work through lol

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop trusting "narrative" trailers. They are not false advertisement but they are often times misleading. Just look at any Kojima game since MGS2 for example. It's best to go into any game as blind as you can.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop trusting "narrative" trailers. They are not false advertisement but they are often times misleading. Just look at any Kojima game since MGS2 for example. It's best to go into any game as blind as you can.
When games cost $60, going in totally blind isn't the best idea.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Both TP and SS are not good, and they are great representations of the fatigue of the franchise prior to BOTW breaking free.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Both TP and SS are not good, and they are great representations of the fatigue of the franchise prior to BOTW breaking free.
Yeah, I remember after Wind Waker I felt "this already feels like the ultimate incarnation of the current formula, and a transition to BOTW, how did they keep going for 15 years after this?"

Very poorly, it seems.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It still blows my mind that people were convinced that Odyssey was some kind of 3D auto runner from the initial clips shown in the Switch reveal trailer.

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean I legitimately am curious haha. Like "the world is empty" concern for Death Stranding or "no towns" for Breath of the Wild at least made sense from what we had seen from the games pre-release, but how did auto-running 3D Mario actually come about, lol?
By people being incredibly dumb and eager to jump the gun. Not a particularly good combo.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The way they showed them, hiding all the most hype stuff in the second trailer while leaving the first jsut say, hey great looking mario open levels again guys! Isnt that new york like city strange?! Wait is that a diddy kon street sign, wtf is going on, whats up with the humans. Was masterful.
BTW i absolutely loved the city anf knew it was going to be magical, its sad to see so many naysayers and "looks like sonic trash" were at the time.

Koizumi really knew what he was doing and what he had on his hands.

The second trailer is hey here is a trex, here is concert, here is lyrics to the main theme, and whats this.... you enter a frog... YOU CAN CONTROL ENEMIES WITH YOUR HAT!?
and then ending with a clear view of the back of... is that FUCKING PAULINE?! that basically says "fun mario lore" this is not your miyamotos mario.

Good times. It was marvelous.
Its lso my favourite mario game ever with smw and mario galaxy 1.

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Was there any actual substantive reasoning for that concern or was it just something they pulled out of thin air based on... nothing?
I remember reading that the camera was too low for a platformer, it was down behind Mario because it was a runner, and we only saw Mario running, which meant that was clearly all he could do. All the objects that were blatantly obvious collectibles were just set dressing.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly was misleading about SMO's trailers?
They made the captures look like they would be almost as substantial as powerups but they almost all turned out to be one-dimensional gimmicks (barring Pokio, Uproot, and Gushen) and the worlds ended up being far smaller and less interesting than they appeared in the trailers.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
I had a Gameboy and a DS, if that helps! I loved Pokemon growing up.
But consoles were always the domain of PlayStation and then Xbox for me. Nintendo wasn't all that big where I grew up, and I never felt like I was missing something. Like, I'd see reviews gushing over Ocarina of Time, and I'd shrug and go back to FF7 (I went on to play OOT and love it, just a few weeks ago in fact, haha).
Got it, cool. I understand. I never owned an N64 as I too was sucked into the PlayStation life. :)

Thank you for replying!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The trailer gave me an impression of what the game was like and the game played like those trailers, but with a few surprised that genuinely made me go "wait, WHAT?"

I really liked the game. It gets a lot of shit from jaded people, but despite the criticisms it might deserve it's a really enjoyable Mario campaign with a sense of adventure for the first time since Galaxy 1 came out, and I would say even more so than any previous 3D Mario it feels like this one has a story.