• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Thanks to Amazon, Nike, FedEx, and Wal-Mart (among a few others) who are the ACTUAL reason why we're here.

Change happens when you hurt (or threaten to hurt) businesses in the pocketbook.

Always remember that.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Your "review process" should have been people complaining about it for the last 20 years.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"He said that he wants the new name to be both respectful to the culture of Native Americans and also pay homage to the U.S. military."

It's still gonna be shit innit?

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Better late than never, I guess. Even then they basically had to be forced to do it.
To be clear, this is the right move (sorely overdue), I'm just going to not be surprised when current fans can't let it go.
Sports culture fucking sucks. You still have plenty of Penn State supporters even after the fact.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
When Amazon, FedEx, Pepsi, Nike, and Wal-Mart said it had to go or they would discontinue selling their products and sponsorships, he had no choice at all.

Nothing else could have made this happen.

i could still imagine a world where dan snyder just ate it in spite of this... unlikely, to put it lightly, alignment of the corporation Anti-Justice League.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Essentially, yeah - there's still a lot of debate over those names, since it's still white people appropriating native iconography, but they're not quite as open-and-shut as the slurs and racist caricatures. There's nothing offensive about "braves" or "chiefs," it's just a question of whether they're appropriate as team names.

I mean I can see where that's coming from. Then again, if a team names themselves after a historical group of warriors, like the Spartans, Crusaders, Cavaliers, Saracens, etc - is that not also cultural appropriation? I agree we need to draw a line somewhere, but I'm not sure where that line should be drawn.

Also, good luck on getting KC to change their name - the Hunt family are huge Republicans and Trumpers.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DC Dynamos

NAYxO5o.gif

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From a purely personal\selfish perspective as a cis-white-male fan of the franchise for about 30+ years, I'm glad this is finally happening if only to just move on.

I'm so tired of having the same conversations over and over again about representation, cultural appropriation\ownership\erasure\etc., the NCAI vs. NA Population Polling, and on and on and on and on for decades.

Having a name that gets the franchise out of this never ending cycle is worth far more to me than the 87 years of history\nostalgia the name provides, which isn't a whole heck of a lot in the end.

Having said all of that, I absolutely do not trust Dan Snyder to rename the team. The man has driven the team into the damned ground over the last 20 years and I only see further depths in our future.