• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Destiny is the game that set the precedent for GAAS looter-shooters. It was the first one and it was so successful that every major company wanted their own version. Anthem, The Division, Fallout 76, just to name the heavy hitters.

PUBG is the innovator of BR but Fortnite was the game that gripped the zeitgeist and made the genre what it is outside of the PC gaming community. (I say that as someone who loves PUBG and despises Fortnite). PUBG May have been the paradigm shifter, but Fortnite is the game that sells asstons of merchandise and created mainstream appeal/demand for the BR genre.

No clue about Pokémon Go.
Pokémon Go was absolutely huge during a couple of months and has been raking in millions ever since.

It's probably the most successful AR game ever.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see how BOTW was influential, honestly.

It will come. I bet we're going to see many open world games coming soon that get rid of map markers / objectives and make exploration leading. Ghost of Tsushima will be the first to follow that route. Even Odyssey had an "adventure mode" of sorts that i can only imagine was being tacked on due the popularity of BotW. It was a dreadfull implementation though.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It is interesting how much people can't stand that Witcher 3 is on the list, what is it about Destiny, Pokemon Go and Fortnite that make them uniquely more influential than the Witcher 3? What's unique about a looter/shooter like Destiny? Fortnite just did a copy pasta on PUBG, it's popularity is undeniable but did it influence things more than PUBG? Pokemon Go certainly seems unique but what are all the other games it directly inspired? Maybe I'm out of the loop on that one.

I think Fortnite's influence is less the BR genre (which few have managed to successfully ape) and more the approach to long-term engagement and monetisation. Battle Passes with unlockable tiers of content, Battle Bundles, season-based content drops, map refreshes... this has become the template for all big-name multiplayer games, regardless of genre.

Jul 4, 2018
List seems about right but I would argue that having Skyrim and Witcher 3 on the list is kinda reductive and of course BoTW deserves to be one the list.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'd add BotW to the list but besides that, I agree.

...and of course BoTW deserves to be one the list.

Apart from Genshin Impact...

2019111411183037136.gif

2019111411255583092.jpg

...I've not seen BotW influence many games. It might take more time, but it might also be a type of game that many other developers will rather shy away from, because it is such a big endeavour.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
We haven't seen the effects of Breath of the Wild's influence yet because it's extremely hard to pull off what Nintendo pulled off with that game. While a lot of the elements were derivative from other Ubisoft open world games, systems like the physics based gameplay, environmental design, and non linear structure are very hard to replicate/steal. I especially expect physics system to not be copied much because it's really time consuming and complex to implement such a system into an open world environment. For most devs, it probably isn't worth it to try to implement these things mid cycle.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The Witcher 3 isn't the only open world game with a respected narrative and if I'm getting pedantic it's not exactly open world when it's broken into two big regions, 1 smaller land that you start in, and few other isolatesd levels. I fnd this is too much to do with interpretation to say it deserves to be on an influential list.
The two main massive regions each can probably contain some other open worlds entirely. Having multiple regions doesn't give you the benefit in designing a narrative that you'd get in a non open world game that one would disqualify it as a landmark achievement.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This list skews too western IMO.

Out of curiosity what non-western games would you feel are more influential in gaming then these?

Only one that I don't think really works in Pokemon Go. In the article they establish it was very popular and mention one "clone" but then don't really make a case for how it's that influential just that it was popular and that it made one clone. Considering Candy Crush Saga is already on the list then the whole: "Mobile" angle doesn't work either.

Feels they mistook Popularity for Influence with that one.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The "sense mechanic" in RDR2 is clearly influenced by what's in Witcher 3. You hold down a button, your view is distorted, and multiple PoI are highlighted.

As far as I can recall, the mechanic you're referring to in TP is a toggle that can only be used at certain points in the game.
AC games already had this mechanic long before Witcher III, though.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Gone Home was the big one as far as that type of narrative exploration experience goes. It feels now like it was so influential, I'm trying to recall one before it with the same level of breakthrough appeal...

Mikhail Klimentov

Editor at Launcher (Washington Post)
Verified
Oct 31, 2019
Hi everyone, not sure if this has been mentioned, but we didn't choose the list based on release year. So the 2018/19 omissions weren't intentional, but as some folks have pointed out there hasn't been a long enough runway to tell what influence recent titles have had.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I can agree on Assassin's Creed. But what else is clearly influenced by Witcher 3 and in what way?

BOTW? I don't see that influenced by Witcher 3 that much. It has like the opposite open world design philosophy compared to Witcher 3 IMO.

RDR2? As I mentioned in a previous post, already had a strong narrative since the first game.
RDR1 didn't have dialogue options and micro interactions with the world

TW3 also influenced Nier Automata, Horizon too.

It was the first Open World without compromises of any kind, and said genre is now the king.

May 10, 2019
Once again, without Cookie Clicker or Candy Box (both in 2013), this whole list feels like kind of a lie.

To just ignore idle/incremental/clicker games and the way they've influenced game design overall is either a blind spot in games journalism or just outright elitism with regards to primarily browser games. The only list that even caught anything was Polygon and they only recognized the cul-de-sac of Universal Paperclips.

A Dark Room maybe belongs in the conversation but it basically just advanced Candy Box ideas.

Last edited:

Mikhail Klimentov

Editor at Launcher (Washington Post)
Verified
Oct 31, 2019
Right, but what did it influence?
Hate to be the annoying author guy who jumps into the thread, but to me there were a couple big points:
  1. In the wake of PoGo launching, every media and entertainment company ever thought AR would be one of the big next things. The hype was unbelievable. Influence doesn't necessarily have to be good, or take solid form, mind you.
  2. I think it really started putting gaming into the micromoments of people's days. Of course other mobile games had done this before, but I'd argue that PoGo's reach got it in front of more eyeballs than any prior (or subsequent) mobile title, and really expanded the idea of when/where people could play. I am not convinced this is a positive either. (Lots of folks have mentioned that the line "Pokémon Go is the 'I'm always listening to podcasts or music because I don't want to be alone with my own thoughts' of games." has resonated with them, which is flattering and also worries me).

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, am I the only person amazed that not only did The Last of Us not get mentioned, there was no 2013 game at all?!

The game not only was a phenomenal story, but really pushed that a fleshed out narrative and true character development rivaling major motion pictures was not only desired in games, but could prove to be extremely successful and lucrative.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, am I the only person amazed that not only did The Last of Us not get mentioned, there was no 2013 game at all?!

The game not only was a phenomenal story, but really pushed that a fleshed out narrative and true character development rivaling major motion pictures was not only desired in games, but could prove to be extremely successful and lucrative.
Wouldn't something like Bioshock have already shown that?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Hate to be the annoying author guy who jumps into the thread, but to me there were a couple big points:
  1. In the wake of PoGo launching, every media and entertainment company ever thought AR would be one of the big next things. The hype was unbelievable. Influence doesn't necessarily have to be good, or take solid form, mind you.
  2. I think it really started putting gaming into the micromoments of people's days. Of course other mobile games had done this before, but I'd argue that PoGo's reach got it in front of more eyeballs than any prior (or subsequent) mobile title, and really expanded the idea of when/where people could play. I am not convinced this is a positive either. (Lots of folks have mentioned that the line "Pokémon Go is the 'I'm always listening to podcasts or music because I don't want to be alone with my own thoughts' of games." has resonated with them, which is flattering and also worries me).
Very fair point. Someone else also pointed out it's impact on the mobile landscape and I was being close minded and only looking at its relation to gaming et al.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
this list has nothing on knack 2, probably the most influental game since knack

Todesritter74

Oct 30, 2017
Lots of people confusing First with Influential.

Another game could have done 'something' first but it does not necessarily mean it was the game that created the tipping point for others wanting to duplicate that 'something'. Tetris 99 and several other battle royale games probably don't exist because of the idea presented in PUBG but due to the cultural/commercial success of the idea in Fortnite.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

TLoU influenced nothing.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Arkham/Shadow of war were bases for those games
Even back when Ubisoft announced a gap year for the franchise and Origins was just being rumored about, Witcher 3 was talked about as being a strong influence on the future of the franchise.

Now that Origins and Odyssey are both out, their open world design and quest structure are clearly influenced by the game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Also this list is terrible and clearly made by someone who doesn't play videogames.
Could you offer anything productive to this thread? Looking at your post history, you have a problem with Fortnite being on the list. The battlepass mechanic alone should quiet that issue🙄

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Arma/DayZ should probably be on that list tbh, as that's how the road to Fortnite started. Of course the survival game boom owes to Arma too.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I'd agree with that list.

Remember, we're talking influence, not quality. You can hate Destiny all you want, but it's MTX elements and shooter/looter mechanics basically changed the AAA landscape. Fornite is the same with FTP battle-royale. On the other hand, BOTW is a great game, but it hasn't influenced really anything as of yet.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Minecraft deserves to be there, and Amnesia definitely started the jump-scare trend in new horror games. I don't know if that's good or bad, lol.