• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
P6DmiNU.jpg

The ongoing covid-19 pandemic placed a brighter-than-usual spotlight on gaming in 2020, with an isolated population looking for entertainment they could enjoy from the safety of home. How fortunate then that alongside the year's many maladies, 2020 also delivered some of the most memorable games in recent years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/best-video-games-2020/

GOTY: Hades

Finalists:
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Call of Duty: Warzone
  • Half-Life: Alyx
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Honorable mentions listed in the article as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the Launcher art whenever they make these kinds of lists. The influential games one in particular was neat, but this might be my new favorite. Anyways, pretty good list with four of the games in my own personal top ten as well :)

May 5, 2018
Woot! Nice to see Hades get more love. Good list too. Though its lacking in indies in general, AN INDIE game won their GOTY though.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Hades seems to have released at the perfect time to maximize its recognition. (Not that it's not deserved).

Also, I really loved Ori, so I'm happy to see it up there.

Jun 20, 2019
Not a bad list at all. My own list will be very different (Hades may still end up at #1) but I can't argue that this list doesn't represent many of the high-water games of the year.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Always nice to see Hades getting the plaudits

While it's great that Hades won and Streets of Rage 4 was a finalist and good to see some truly exceptional games being included, it's quite disappointing to me that the rest of the indies (and only indies) are stuck in honourable mentions below some games that, while good, aren't really that interesting or don't really push the medium very far at all. But hey, that's just me - obviously their tastes are different to mine.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I liked hades as much as other people. It seems super neat but I just can't get into it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I was like how are they gonna put Hades on the banner and not include it in the finalists. Reading lul.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Hades would absolutely be my GOTY if it weren't for TLOU

Supergiant tells great stories but Hades is just on another level IMO

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Man, as a big supergiant fan, I really wish I liked Hades more. Glad to see them getting some recognition though still.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
That art is very nice. Love the diversity.

I'm surprised at how FFVIIR seems to be pretty low or an afterthought on most GOTY lists. I could understand one or two outlets not feeling it, but it seems like generally it's just thought of as "oh yeah, that came out this year". Pretty shocking for one of the most wanted games of the past few decades.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised at how FFVIIR seems to be pretty low or an afterthought on most GOTY lists. I could understand one or two outlets not feeling it, but it seems like generally it's just thought of as "oh yeah, that came out this year". Pretty shocking for one of the most wanted games of the past few decades.

I liked it enough to finish it, but there's so much to complain about with FF7R.

They took a 6 hour or so segment from the original game and stretched out it to 34 hours without adding much new, meaningful story content. There was that Jessie scenario early on which was neat, but then the rest of the game was mostly just the old events stretched out with lots of filler.
The pacing is really awkward.
The weapon system feels like a lot of busywork and takes more time than it ought thanks to how its presented.

Even though I played on Normal and rarely had problems with the combat (I think I died maybe once or twice in combat all game, excluding the bike minigame), I felt like I never actually mastered the combat or got into a groove with it, because of the pacing.

After playing FF7 Remake, it feels like a playable Advent Children, but I'd rather they had just taken the original game and improved it (nicer visuals, clean up & balance the gameplay, etc.).

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Alyx on a list of best games as it's easily the best game I've played this year. I've been playing games my whole life and playing through it was the closest I've ever gotten to the feeling I had when I first played Mario 64 as a child.

It's an incredible game with some of the best designed levels I've experienced in a game. Valve may not have released a AAA single player game in a long time but they haven't lost a step and are still one of the best developers in the industry.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The ongoing covid-19 pandemic placed a brighter-than-usual spotlight on gaming in 2020, with an isolated population looking for entertainment they could enjoy from the safety of home. How fortunate then that alongside the year's many maladies, 2020 also delivered some of the most memorable games in recent years.

From laid-back life simulators to an anticipated sequel that scrutinized cyclical violence, the gaming world was replete with options for anyone who wanted to get their minds off the consistently grim reality around them. The reintroduction and reimagination of the classic "Final Fantasy VII" highlighted the early spring, while the November debut of the PlayStation 5 ushered in a next-generation hero the gaming world both needed and deserved. Even with multiple delays pushing the much-anticipated "Cyberpunk 2077" beyond our Dec. 1 cutoff for Game of the Year consideration, there was no shortage of worthy contenders for that title.

Game of the Year:

• Hades

Finalists (unranked. This publication did not numerical rank the finalists)

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • TLOU2
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisp
  • CoD: Warzone
  • Half-Life: Alyx
  • FFVII: Remake

Honrorable Mentions:

• If Found
  • Among Us
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Pretty good list, but not too daring. I've played many of these titles and I would agree with their inclusion. My list is looking very similar.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Getting old seeing the lede of anything regarding TLOU2 being it's 'divisiveness' with 'fans' and critics (which just isn't factual). Feels like hedging against online mob blowback.

Good list.