• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sage Anahata

Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Legion, but I've only played WoW. WoD, WotLK, and MoP all kind of tie for second after that. Haven't played BFA, yet.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness. I feel like this won't be popular here. It was one of the first games I played modem to modem and IPX network with peers pre-dating GameSpy (and then GameSpy 3D) and BattleNet online play. There's very few DOS gamers out there who remember those days. The game was truly special at the time.

i was there. i used to play modem to modem with a friend. it is still my favorite warcraft.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Reign of Chaos blew my middle school mind.

I went back and replayed it a few years ago and found that the game isn't really that tough; I just sucked at RTS titles back then.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wrath of the Lich King. Best memories. After that, TBC and Vanilla. The rest... meh.

Last edited:

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I still really love the first 2 games.

I played so much WarCraft and WarCraft II on my old 486. Even going as far as to download hacked custom maps for WarCraft since it didn't have a level editor (I remember there was one that would just send a bunch of Demons after you after a timer ran down), and playing them over a really, really slow 2400 baud modem connection with a guy I met on a BBS just because we technically could (usually getting like less than 1 frame per second).

Spent hours and hours making maps in the WC2 editor and playing them with friends (with a much faster 33.6k modem).

I resented WarCraft III at the time because it was 3D and I couldn't run it and when I finally got a chance to try it out I really, really didn't like Upkeep (which seemed like an admission that their unnecessary 3D engine just couldn't handle a true WarCraft game with tons of units), the focus on hero units, and I found the story way less engaging watching these unlikable characters constantly make obviously wrong decisions. I did like having more factions to choose from and how differently they all played from one another, though.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Had a lot of fun playing WC2 over LAN back in the day and WC3 is excellent but I gotta go with the original WoW release. Probably one of the greatest gaming experiences I have had is playing that for the first time. I had played Star Wars Galaxies and I think maybe a little bit of Everquest 2? Idk. But WoW really changed the MMO game. It was incredible.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
I love the love for Panderia. Everyone hated on it when it released but I loved tending my garden and the small dungeon open world quest.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Frostmourne Hungers....

RyzWrrM.gif

Has to be the Lich King

From introducing the Death Knights and getting orders directly from Arthas himself to Northrend and it's two different starting areas.

Then you had the whole argent tournament grounds and finally ICC as well

I don't think there has ever been a better roll out of content.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (1995)
The leap from Warcraft 1 was just crazy at the time. Blew my tiny mind!

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne. Improvements to an already great game, with a more robust mod scene at that point.

Close second would be WoW: Burning Crusade. Didn't make the changes that pushed me away from WoW, and offered better class balance over vanilla.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
WarCraft II was my first so it will always hold a special place..... but WC III is the GOAT.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't have much history with the franchise, but I did have a lot of good times playing Warcraft 3, both campaign and custom maps with friends.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
War2 was probably the most fun, but WLK was pretty good too, at the start. I quit WoW after that.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Can I just say, ALL OF THEM?

I have literally grown up with this franchise. My current job at DICE working on Battlefield, much of that is due to getting my hands on the World Editor for Warcraft 3. Will forever be grateful that I discovered this incredible franchise early on in my life. :) Even learned English through Warcraft 3. :)

Remember so many nights with my dad playing Warcraft 1 when I couldn't even speak the language as a little child. We would sit together on the ancient PC, and I would play, him watching me patiently. I honestly miss those days, it was a different world back then, we were not scared from all the sadness in life. :(
Yeah, there are a surprising amount of people who got their careers started with the WC3 editor.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Peaked around 2002-2005

Slow decline since then.

They ended the RTS series with the villain winning. This was back when Blizzard gave no shits.

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne. What a fantastic game. Spent many hours in college enjoy it.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne. WoW never did anything for me so it's been a while since I had a Warcraft title I enjoyed the shit out of.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft II was the thing that made me like PC gaming.

Warcraft III's custom maps were what kept me chained to my chair playing my PC.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would really like to see a Warcraft 2 remaster.

Its a basic game, but very fun. Probably one of the first games I got really passionate about.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tides of Darkness. Beating Warcraft 2 without cheat codes was one of the accomplishments I was most proud of as a kid.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I love them all but if I have to keep two :

- Warcraft 2 BNet edition (if only because it had both the game and expansion as one)
- Mists of Pandaria, imho WoW's best expansion to date

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft II. This may have been the first game I played online come to think of it. I couldn't get into Warcraft III due to the hero stuff.

WARCRAFT II REMASTER WHEN

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
1. World of Warcraft -- So many good memories there. I really wish I could get back into Classic, but just don't have the time anymore.

2. Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos -- Despite my dislike for the vanilla multiplayer, the WC3 custom map scene was one of the best things in gaming history. SP campaign was pretty good too.

3. Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness -- I already liked the original Warcraft, so WC2 was just amazing with how it made huge improvements to just about every aspect of the game. It was also one of the first (maybe THE first) non-text real-time games that I played online.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really a tough call between Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.

I liked the endgame dungeons and raids a lot better in BC, but WOTLK has probably a better levelling campaign. I think the world design is a lot better in BC while WOTLK is mostly just ice, snow, and rocks with an oasis of color here and there. The quests is WOTLK are much better and have more variety than those of BC too. The Dungeon Finder in WOTLK changed things in both good and bad ways.

I ultimately lean towards BC, just because I have such fond memories of raiding Karazahn with a smaller group. The large-scale raids always had a lot of downtime and drama.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
WotLK, TBC is pretty close. Classic has been great so far though, never played vanilla back in the day.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
This is nearly impossible for me to answer. WC1 was pre loaded on a hand me down pc my uncle gave me which was a big part of hooking me on PC gaming as a hobby and my introduction into RTS games.

WC3 (and TFT, I find it impossible to separate the two) is the one I have the fondest memories playing. The campaign holds up as my favorite in all of gaming and the custom maps are nearly as good.

I've easily put the most time into WoW (classic). Such an amazing experience being able to play my favorite game WC3 as an MMO, stepping into the 3d world and going to places in the RTS. I've soured some on WoW over the years due to the human component as I'm a solo player at heart so I think my choice has to be WC3 and TFT.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft 2
I probably played more of WC3 and WOW, but WC2 was so impactful at the time. It made the RTS genre a juggernaut and was Blizzard's first smash hit.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft 3 and TFT.
Never played WOW, so just read the wiki to know whats happening on the story.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wrath. I might've ended up liking Legion more if I'd played it with my people. Or for longer, at any rate.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
World of Warcraft. The greatest MMO of all time, I've played it more than any other game.

If I had to choose a specific WoW release, then I'd say vanilla or Wrath of the Lich King.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft 2 is the one I played the most, followed by the original Warcraft. Never really played any of the other games.