• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which was the superior Aladdin videogame?

• Capcom's Disney's Aladdin (SNES)

Votes: 884 47.6%
  • Virgin Games Disney's Aladdin (MD/Genesis)

Votes: 975 52.4%

• Total voters

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I love 'em both. I probably like the Genesis one just a teensy bit more, but I'm glad both exist.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Genesis version for me. I loved the presentation and gameplay. The SNES version was rock solid but it wasn't very memorable for me beyond that.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
The Genesis one was the first game I ever owned. Snes one is great as well though.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
I refuse to believe anyone saying Genesis has actually played both games recently. Just basic movement feels incredibly glidey on Genesis and swinging your dumb sword fucking sucks. Move over to SNES Aladdin and it's one of the tightest platformers on the system, you feel properly connected to the ground and the collision detection/sound effects are totally spot-on. The way obstacles are placed lets you flow through every level like butter, whereas on Genesis everything just feels randomly cobbled together. They pulled off impressive things with the animation on the hardware, but even aesthetically, the more conventional approach of SNES Aladdin just holds up better IMO.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think the SNES version is better from a game play perspective, but the Genesis version is superior in pretty much every other regard.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I am very surprised by these resulsts, I always felt I was in the minority prefering the snes version.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Both directors say the other version is better lol.

I always preferred the Virgin version, as the Capcom one is way too easy. I recall this being a common complaint back in the day too. I got used to the controls on the Virgin version, and in general I prefered the levels. And the animation is lovely.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
SNES version

Better graphics (although both look very good, Mega Drive is more inconsistent, the first level is very ugly in particular)
Better music
Better carpet esape level
Better final boss
Has 'A Whole New World' level

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Little known fact, the Game Boy version was based on the Genesis version! So if you were a Nintendo kid through and through, you had access to the entire experience!

Where's the Digital Foundry retrospective on this dammit?

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Genesis one LOOKS great but the sound in it is like nails on a chalkboard and makes it impossible for me to play it. I gotta go with the SNES one.

If there was a Sega CD version of Aladdin with decent sound, that might win.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Eh... I honestly have to call it a wash. SNES plays a smidge better, but the overall package is a smidge better on the Genesis. So... I dunno.

Like, if someone was to say "Hey man, wanna play some Aladdin?" I'd be all "Sure, whatever." Without even caring which version it was.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I have only played the SNES one but my friends tell me that the Genesis version was superior.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are both only alright. If I was gonna play one right now, I'd pick Genesis.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Owned the Genesis one... way better music and animation but the gameplay was a little iffy.
Played the SNES one at a best friend's house and loved how well it played. Gonna say Genesis, though.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Mega Drive Aladdin is more of a technical marvel, but it's hella unpolished and the level design is all over the place. SNES Aladdin covers way more of the film, and feels way better to play overall so I'll go with the SNES version.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Aladdin feels good to control in the SNES game and has a nice sense of weight and momentum to his acrobatics, but it's coupled with bland audiovisual design and astonishingly boring levels. The Genesis game is rough at the best of times, but the level design has far more verticality and it's riddled with secrets, on top of sounding great and having some of the best visual presentation of the generation.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
honest question did anyone here managed to beat aladdin genesis?
I suspect anyone that owned it? It wasn't that bad.

Also Genesis Aladdin by a mile. People act like it looks beautiful and plays like rubbish or something, it doesn't. It's a totally good action platformer with tons of secrets and shit.

SNES Aladdin has always been a hipster answer. It's not a bad game, it's a good game, they both are, but it's still not close.

Last edited:

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect anyone that owned it? It wasn't that bad.

Also Genesis Aladdin by a mile. People act like it looks beautiful and plays like rubbish or something, it doesn't. It's a totally good action platformer with tons of secrets and shit.
i owned the game but its a very hard game, i never managed to beat

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's Aladdin features CONSIDERABLY smoother, more responsive and just generally tighter controls and better designed platforming. Genesis Aladdin has that messy western-style platforming style you'd see in that era where it could be a real challenge to easily notice where a platform starts and ends, with confusing differentiation between background and foreground elements and inexplicable collision detection.

And contrary to popular belief, the animation in Capcom's Aladdin actually takes after the movie more than Virgin's game.

eLbnt62.gif

GmHkSvy.gif

DsBtgNV.gif

Where da swinging and vaulting off people in Genny Aladdin at? :P

Seriously though, I like that the mechanics in Capcom's game are actually somewhat inspired by the movie. Whereas in the Virgin game they just did whatever.

Last edited:

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
As a kid I always felt like I lost out with my SNES Aladdin because the Genesis Aladdin got a sword and that made it way more awesome. But now that I can easily play both, SNES was the better crafted game. Both are good games though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i only ever played the snes game but it felt like a standard capcom/disney platformer, of which there were already like 20 of... you played one you played them all. it was a solid weekend rental but i couldn't imagine having paid full price for it

i was always jelly of the 'cool kids' genesis version but wouldn't surprise me if the snes version played better when all's said and done

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Both games are fantastic in their own right, but Genesis Aladdin wins for better music and animation straight from the Disney studio.

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
Capcom Aladdin for Snes. I loved the most of Disneys game on Snes. The Jungle Book, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse,