• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

The second (of many!) Walking Dead spin-off, 'World Beyond,' will oficially premiere Sunday, October 4 at 10/9c. The series will debut early via AMC+ on Thursday, October 1.

The first season will consist of 10 x 60 minute episodes. Conceived of as a limited two season event, a second and final season of 10 episodes has been ordered, to air in 2021.

Long time Walking Dead writer Matt Negrete serves as showrunner.

AMC said:
'The Walking Dead: World Beyond' expands the universe of 'The Walking Dead,' delving into a new mythology and story that follows the first generation raised in a surviving civilization of the post-apocalyptic world. Two sisters along with two friends leave a place of safety and comfort to brave dangers, known and unknown, living and undead on an important quest. Pursued by those who wish to protect them and those who wish to harm them, a tale of growing up and transformation unfurls across dangerous terrain, challenging everything they know about the world, themselves and each other. Some will become heroes. Some will become villains. But all of them will find the truths they seek.

Cast

Hope is one of the sisters at the center of the series. She's described as rebellious and troublemaking, but also fun-loving. She lives in the moment rather than for tomorrow.

Elton is a young man described as both innocent and wise. He's an intellectual along for the journey.

A mentor to Hope and friend to Felix, Huck is a tough-as-nails community security officer who joins the quest.

2voHCyO.jpg

Felix takes his job as a security officer very seriously. When Hope and Iris plan their quest, he will do what he can to protect them after their father saved him years ago.

Iris is Hope's sister and a promising bright mind. Following in her father's science footsteps, she's hoping to restore the world to what it once was, before walkers roamed the planet.

Silas is a janitor from another community with a reputation he wishes to rehabilitate.

Videos

Season One Trailer
The Walking Dead: World Beyond Comic-Con@Home Panel

Links

The Walking Dead Season 10 Thread
Fear the Walking Dead Season Five Thread
SPOILERS The Walking Dead TV show leak and comic book thread SPOILERS

Reviews

(based on the first two episodes)

Variety said:
This is not a perfect series - on its own limited terms, it's a success, though viewers might be forgiven for wondering just how much gas is left in the tank. And yet there's a willingness to reinvent, to genuinely probe a corner of the universe previously untouched, that makes this series feel serious in its intent and, for fans of the forerunning series, well worth checking out.

TV Line said:
Those of us who tune in to the other two shows in the franchise have already been here, seen this - and we've seen it done with greater artfulness, efficacy and urgency.

CBR said:
While it's not an out-of-the-gate success, it would be a mistake to completely dismiss World Beyond. As their journey continues and we learn more about them, the teens' adventures in zombie-land may become more compelling.

Den of Geek said:
If nothing else, World Beyond offers something different from the original show, and that's a welcome difference.

L+SD Ratings

Episode 1: 1.6 million 0.5 A18-49
Episode 2: 1.0 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.0 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.0 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 5: 742K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 6: 726K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 7: 783K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 8: 627K 0.2 A18-49
Episodes 9 & 10: 618K 0.2 A18-49

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
Zombie media is so boring now, I don't know what if anything they can do to make it interesting.

Wait no I do know, some sort of quest to end the infection in some way, I'd tune into that. "Humans are the real monsters" is bordering on parody for me.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This could have been just a new zombie show and it would have been fine, I don't see why why they have to keep the walking dead brand on life support.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Congratx to TWD series for managing to make zombies a yawnfest. If they wanted to capitalize on the zombie fad, it should have been many years ago. Them doubling down is the surefire way to accelerate zombie fatigue.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I kind of dig the concept.

The idea of kids who grew up in a zombie world that never knew life before.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Great OT as usual RatskyWatsky! Excited to give this show a go later in the week and finally see more of the Civic Republic. Also just generally curious to see what a TWD show targeting a younger audience is like. I think it's got good potential.

This could have been just a new zombie show and it would have been fine, I don't see why why they have to keep the walking dead brand on life support.
Lol, the series is far from being on life support.

I mean, it can't be worse than Fear.
Don't challenge Gimple.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The Walking Dead brand isn't on life support - it still has immense global appeal.

It is? I thought it kinda fizzeled out at the later seasons honestly. I am curious what "walking dead " means though, what if sets apart from other zombie shows or if it's just to pull eyeballs.

Gonna check it out regardless!

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
I don't see why why they have to keep the walking dead brand on life support.
Being watched by millions of people every Sunday is considered being on life support? It's no GoT, but the rating of this show is still ridiculous.

Another spinoff tv show Fear the Walking Dead still had +1 mill viewers.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this is a limited series does intrigue me. I'm inclined to check in again nearer the halfway point of the season to see if it takes off, but I'm not exactly watching much else these days. Might as well give it a shot next week.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm intrigued enough to read the weekly review articles on Yahoo and maybe watch it if it's own while I channel surf, but I am not sure I am interested enough to DVR it or invest time in it

Oct 25, 2017
re: TWD's popularity - I'm not a fan of the series and I know very little about its ratings, but I'd speculate it's like the last 10-15 seasons of the Simpsons. Tons of people watch it casually but nobody talks about it.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that the premiere will be up early later today on AMC+

Remember to spoiler tag discussion until the episode airs on the 4th

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Poster makes it look like its gonna involve fantasy elements (I mean other than Zombies) lol.

I need to catch up to the series, I dropped it as soon as they wrote off Rick.

Also need to watch more of Fear - only seen the first season.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Having seen nothing but the plot and character descriptions, Huck gives off big "tutorial caretaker character who dies off pretty early to force the heroes to be on their own" vibes.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the first episode through AMC Premiere. I liked it. It definitely has more of a YA vibe to it, but it doesn't really feel held back by that or anything? It has a somewhat different tone, but it still feels like The Walking Dead, just focused on a group of teens and all that that entails. I'm gonna keep watching, I enjoyed it.

Definitely wasn't expecting the ending though. We already knew that the Civic Republic (or at least its military) was bad news thanks to Isabelle on Fear the Walking Dead, but the ending scene further confirms it. I wasn't expecting the settlement to be attacked like that. Very interested in seeing how they play into the rest of the show, especially since I think it's a given that at least some of this show's characters will turn up in the Andrew Lincoln movie(s).

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Is it a good-looking show? Vogt-Roberts seems to be a very visual director so I'm keen to see what he can bring to the cinematic language of TWD.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
wow did not expect the crm to just slaughter the campus.

kinda weird that the general just gave the girls the map to New York or whatever

So the lead murdered a pregnant woman who is, surprise, the mother of another character

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Lol at the ending, and the twist with the photo.

Might give it a few more eps, because I'm tired of the franchise.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty decent. The plot didn't entirely go in the way that I thought it would, so that's cool. Characters all seem fairly likable so far (this hawt soldier gay đź‘€ ) and I like that they have a specific destination in mind that they can work towards - it should prevent future episodes from feeling too aimless.

So there's 3 big colonies - Portland, Omaha, and the mysterious Civic Republic (which is ostensibly in New York). They're supposedly working together to find a cure (really with this talk of cures? Robert Kirkman was always adamantly opposed to the idea of there ever being a cure in this universe, so I'm guessing it'll amount to nothing). The Civic Republic are the ones with the helicopters, as seen in both TWD and FtWD. They not only abduct people (A's or B's) but also apparently slaughtered everyone in the Omaha colony (???) because of reasons. I guess they're like the Umbrella Corporation of the Walking Dead universe or something? Anyway, I thought the lore teases were all pretty interesting. I'm really curious to know how it ties together with both current and future shows, as well as the movies.

Also, the twist with the picture is dumb and laughably coincidental but whatever. I guess it could make for some fun drama.

Is it a good-looking show? Vogt-Roberts seems to be a very visual director so I'm keen to see what he can bring to the cinematic language of TWD.

Vogt-Roberts was initially signed on to direct the pilot but "the production went in a different direction" so Magnus Martens was brought on to direct instead.

It's wasn't poorly directed or anything, but there was also nothing about it that really stood out to me. It just looked like a standard episode of TV.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I feel dumb.

I didn't put two and two together. Didn't know that the woman Hope killed was Elton's mom until Spectromixer mentioned it lol. That'll be interesting to see come into play later on.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I skimmed the thread earlier and saw the post above mine mention a twist with a picture, so I was keeping an eye out for it. When Elton looked at the picture, I was like "that must be it. wait what's the twist? ...oh". If it hadn't been for that I probably wouldn't have picked up on it either lol

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I actually called the twist with Eltons mom in my head before they revealed the picture haha

I must be trained by The CW level drama

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
How's this show going so far? I tapped out on TWD sometime after they dealt with Negan and the all out war. After that it got too repetitive for me. Not sure if this will be different enough

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
How's this show going so far? I tapped out on TWD sometime after they dealt with Negan and the all out war. After that it got too repetitive for me. Not sure if this will be different enough

Pretty good so far, though it hasn't even officially premiered yet.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Only the first episode is out so far (and even then, only on AMC's streaming services; it doesn't air on TV until tomorrow night). But I enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing where the show goes. It helps that it's only set to last two seasons, so it should feel pretty tight.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a decent start. Curious to see how it develops. It'll surely be better than FTWD if nothing else.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this show is planned out to only be 2 seasons sounds like it is going to be good thing for the overall narrative.
At least the showrunners/writer actually has a game plan for this and not just going with the flow.
Will probably give this a shot once the first season wraps.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Currently watching ep 1.
Main chick is having tea time.
I look forward to when shit goes sideways. How's Fear? Stopped a few eps after Morgan joined.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
AMC+ also gives you full access to Shudder, Sundance Now, and IFC Films Unlimited!
Don't they also own Acorn? That's not included? I might actually consider subscribing if it was since AMC only aired the first three seasons of the incredible (and completely slept on here) Line of Duty on their linear channel. Still need to watch series 4 and 5...

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over Iris' horrible hair. They don't have any black people on staff?