• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you be watching World Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 63 63.6%

• Total voters

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oc1s2bLc.jpg

The show premieres one week after the season ten finale of The Walking Dead:

Sunday, April 12 at 10 p.m. ET/9c; subsequent episodes will air Sunday nights at 9:00 p.m. ET/8c
The Walking Dead: World Beyond expands the universe of The Walking Dead, delving into a new mythology and story that follows the first generation raised in a surviving civilization of the post-apocalyptic world. Two sisters along with two friends leave a place of safety and comfort to brave dangers, known and unknown, living and undead on an important quest. Pursued by those who wish to protect them and those who wish to harm them, a tale of growing up and transformation unfurls across dangerous terrain, challenging everything they know about the world, themselves and each other. Some will become heroes. Some will become villains. But all of them will find the truths they seek. Co-created by Scott M. Gimple and showrunner Matt Negrete, The Walking Dead: World Beyond stars Aliyah Royale, Alexa Mansour, Annet Mahendru, Nicolas Cantu, Hal Cumpston, Nico Tortorella and Julia Ormond. Produced and distributed by AMC Studios, the series is executive produced by Gimple, Negrete, Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert and Brian Bockrath.

Some new photos from the show:

EOb_UgmVUAAq4P_

EOb_UgmUEAAkTyq

EOb_UgnUwAEoWj1

EOb_UgmU8AA1XXT

And here's the latest(?) trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it, though it's a few months old:

Last edited:

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Doesn't that kind of take the wind out of the sails of the other two shows, then? knowing that there'll never be a resolution to the zombie apocalypse?

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon Prime in the UK, so all 3 WD shows (new episodes) are on 3 different services that all require separate subscriptions.😂 What a mess.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
AMC confirmed that World Beyond will only be 2 seasons and is close ended.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't that kind of take the wind out of the sails of the other two shows, then? knowing that there'll never be a resolution to the zombie apocalypse?
The books are done. There's not gonna be a resolution to the apocalypse. The books were fucking amazing tho! Wayyy better than what anything they put on TV has done. AMC was the wrong network to go with.

I will check out an episode or two with my friends, of course. Out of respect to Kirkman.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I know they say the story is close ended but I wonder if it will tie into the feature films.
They confirmed a few months ago that there will be crossovers with other areas of AMC's TWD universe in World Beyond, and the community that this show's characters are from is part of the CRM trio of communities that took Rick and Jadis/Anne in the main show, so that's pretty much a guarantee.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, c'mon. Money-wise? Yeah, obv.
There's no doubt it does any of the source-work justice, tho, and I'm a huge TWD fan but I just couldn't take how gimped everything was and checked out around a year ago.

I get it's popular, extremely so in fact, yet HBO or even Showtime would've objectively been the better call considering the source material. HBO passed, so it's on them. Not sure about Showtime.

Anyway, I'll still check this out.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I already dropped Fear the Walking Dead years ago, and I don't care that this spin-off is only two seasons. It's the same old aimless crap, only likely to be worse like FtWD and with a CW cast.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will probably check it out. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Dropped off both TWD shows already. At least there is a clear end in sight for this series.

The show was never about finding a resolution. The brief story arc regarding finding a resolution with Eugene sold home the fact that ultimately there is no end to the apocalypse.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I already dropped Fear the Walking Dead years ago, and I don't care that this spin-off is only two seasons. It's the same old aimless crap, only likely to be worse like FtWD and with a CW cast.
FTWD actually had a soft-reboot. Random as fuck, I know. It worked some and it didn't just a bit less so. I enjoyed it tho.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, c'mon. Money-wise? Yeah, obv.
There's no doubt it does any of the source-work justice, tho, and I'm a huge TWD fan but I just couldn't take how gimped everything was and checked out around a year ago.

The budget hampering the series is a dumb narrative the internet latched onto even though it doesn't hold any water.

HBO or even Showtime would've objectively been the better call considering the source material.

More swearing, which is all that would have changed w/r/t source material had the show been on premium cable, does not an objectively better show make.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I could see the films dropping once this show ends then.

here's the logo

The first one could hit theaters around that time, yeah. Andrew Lincoln has been growing his Rick beard again lately, and apparently he's been seen with Pollyanna McIntosh lately, so it seems that they may be ramping up towards filming right now. If that's the case, a summer 2021 release sounds about right to me.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
What is a "CW cast?" Is it just seeing young actors and just hating them automatically?
More like being cynical about the tone and overall direction in that regard (even the logo sequence carries that typical teen drama vibe), "hating them" is entirely too strong an assessment. Being dismissive of this whole thing, yes, hating anyone, no.
Except it literally isn't because they're working towards a pre defined ending...
Which would still be the whole world is screwed and the only thing that will ever continue to define the setting even after their story concludes is an endless cycle of temporary peace eventually shattered by marauding bands of sociopaths before it all starts anew.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The budget hampering the series is a dumb narrative the internet latched onto even though it doesn't hold any water.

More swearing, which is all that would have changed w/r/t source material had the show been on premium cable, does not an objectively better show make.
Never mentioned the budget at all. I generally agree with most of their budgetary decisions, of course things could be spruced up here and there but that's neither...here nor there (lol) I think it's fine and they do a great job at AMC with what they're working with, honestly. I never really sided with that narrative but I did understand why people wanted things more grand, different landscapes, etc. That's never what was really portrayed much in the book anyhow.

And you're selling the books extremely short if you're gonna lump everything I said into merely 'more swearing'. C'mon now.

Edit* Ohh, I think you misunderstood what I meant by 'money-wise'. I meant, it makes AMC a shitton of money!

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Which would still be the whole world is screwed and the only thing that will ever continue to define the setting even after their story concludes is an endless cycle of temporary peace eventually shattered by marauding bands of sociopaths before it all starts anew.

Not necessarily. Have you read the final arc of the comics?

Never mentioned the budget at all.

Edit* Ohh, I think you misunderstood what I meant by 'money-wise'. I meant, it makes AMC a shitton of money!

It was the "gimped" part, actually. I don't see how anything was gimped.

And you're selling the books extremely short if you're gonna lump everything I said into merely 'more swearing'. C'mon now.

You said premium cable would have been better considering the source material, but the only thing that AMC couldn't do justice to w/r/t the source material was the pervasive swearing. Everything else could easily have been done, the writers just chose not to (like that scene between Michonne and the Governor).

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in watching but it's nice to know that they already know where they want to story to go so it doesnt overstay its welcome.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily. Have you read the final arc of the comics?

It was the "gimped" part, actually. I don't see how anything was gimped.

You said premium cable would have been better considering the source material, but the only thing that AMC couldn't do justice to w/r/t the source material was the pervasive swearing. Everything else could easily have been done, the writers just chose not to (like that scene between Michonne and the Governor).
Gotcha. Yeah, gimped as in nerf'd. To be honest, I guess I could ascribe at least some of my qualms to the writing staff. But it's not just them. To me, it's all quite the mess in comparison with the books. Don't get me wrong, the show did some things arguably better than the books (Terminus). But my point is, on the whole, a ton of stuff was left out, changed, pacing issues, soft-peddling dark scenarios... well the list goes on for me. To sum up how I feel I would just simply say - The show is no where near gritty enough, which is a huge blow to the source material. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here which I'm fine with.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I've dropped the other two shows but I'll check this out. I definitely like that it's going to be 2 seasons only so hopefully they won't go at a snail's pace, dragging out bs to make everything last longer.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just what TWD needed...angsty teen drama. I stopped reading the comic after the time skip and stopped watching the series well before that for being absolute trash. I don't see this as being something that gets me back into zombies. This somehow looks even worse than the original series.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I've dropped the other two shows but I'll check this out. I definitely like that it's going to be 2 seasons only so hopefully they won't go at a snail's pace, dragging out bs to make everything last longer.
Yeah, I'm really glad about that. The only thing that may be concerning is knowing that there will be crossovers and tie-ins with the other two shows and the movie, but as long as it's handled well and doesn't feel out-of-place, I don't think it'll be that bad. The news about it being two seasons long has made me more excited for it.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
World Beyond.
They finally going global?
Watches trailer.... oh

I thought it's like World War Z.

I'm good

Oct 27, 2017
Hahahahaha 2 seasons? This is the Network that is planning on milking their main Walking Dead series for like 30 seasons.

Believe it when I see it.

Imagine if Walking Dead had had a defined beginning, middle and end arced out over 5 or 6 seasons. Would have been a great show and written, directed etc so much more coherently.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Weird it's only 2 seasons, but I'll be there, I can't get enough Walking Dead.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read the comics, only vaguely familiar with differences between it and the main show.

Well, they eventually do some very different things towards the end that might surprise you!

Gotcha. Yeah, gimped as in nerf'd. To be honest, I guess I could ascribe at least some of my qualms to the writing staff. But it's not just them. To me, it's all quite the mess in comparison with the books. Don't get me wrong, the show did some things arguably better than the books (Terminus). But my point is, on the whole, a ton of stuff was left out, changed, pacing issues, soft-peddling dark scenarios... well the list goes on for me. To sum up how I feel I would just simply say - The show is no where near gritty enough, which is a huge blow to the source material. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here which I'm fine with.

Right, but that has nothing to do with AMC - the only thing premium cable can/would do that basic cable can't/won't is like pervasive swearing and nudity. Anything else, especially violence and gore, is acceptable. Critics have been complaining that the show is unbearably dark and gritty for years now, and the S7 premiere in particular sparked a wave of viewer complaints, so I'm not sure more grit is what the show needed. But fair enough - agree to disagree :3

Imagine if Walking Dead had had a defined beginning, middle and end arced out over 5 or 6 seasons.

The Walking Dead was never going to be that.

Each season will be ten episodes long
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently both seasons will be ten-episodes-long, so the full series will be a total of twenty episodes. (This news came around the time I posted this thread, but I wasn't aware of it until now.)

Also, a quote from AMC's Sarah Barnett:

"What we're doing next is experimenting. We're making a movie with Universal featuring the Rick Grimes character. And the third television series in this universe, World Beyond, focuses on the generation of survivors who have grown up post-apocalypse. Led by two young female leads, it is a perfect advancing of the universe in ways that are multi-generational, fresh and unexpected. It is not imitating The Walking Dead either in substance or form - World Beyond is a two-season closed-ended series that will tell a very specific and distinct story. Scott Gimple, the chief content officer of this universe, and his team are planning other experiments in this space, including specials, digital short-form series and other innovations in form."
So expect more non-traditional things for TWD in the future.

Finally, an interesting tidbit that I hear is from a recent AMC survey:

The show's group leaves their community in search of the father of the two main characters. He's apparently described as "the one man who could save the world". Wonder what that's about. Maybe just someone who is key to the CRM?

Premiere delayed to "later this year"
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
The premiere just got pushed back to "later this year"

tvline.com

Walking Dead Spinoff World Beyond Postponed; New Premiere Date TBD

AMC is moving back the series premiere of its upcoming spinoff 'The Walking Dead: World Beyond' due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Well, shit.

I guess I get it. With everything that's going on, premiering a new zombie/virus-focused TV show may not be a good idea, even if it's part of an existing property. Not only will some people not want to watch it, but those who do will probably have a lot going on that could prevent them from seeing it.

I'm sad because I'm looking forward to it, but I get that it might be a wise business choice to delay it.

Also, we may want to prepare for the news that Fear season six and TWD season eleven are going to be pushed back as well. They've already hit snags with production delays, and things are only going to get worse from here with regards to the pandemic.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Well, shit.

I guess I get it. With everything that's going on, premiering a new zombie/virus-focused TV show may not be a good idea, even if it's part of an existing property. Not only will some people not want to watch it, but those who do will probably have a lot going on that could prevent them from seeing it.

I'm sad because I'm looking forward to it, but I get that it might be a wise business choice to delay it.

Also, we may want to prepare for the news that Fear season six and TWD season eleven are going to be pushed back as well. They've already hit snags with production delays, and things are only going to get worse from here with regards to the pandemic.

I don't think they're delaying because it's a too timely or whatever - rather, they're delaying it because every show that's currently in production is going on a months long hiatus and won't be able to hit their previously targeted release dates. Fear S6 won't hit in late June/early July as expected, for instance. Rather than rolling right into World Beyond and then having a month+ of nothing airing on Sundays after it ends, AMC is trying to space everything out a little more so there's not all these huge gaps in their schedule.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like World Beyond won't air until the fall:

"We have made some adjustments, moved the Killing Eve premiere up a couple of weeks and, you're probably aware, moved Walking Dead: World Beyond back into the fourth quarter. We're finishing post on that, that will be set to go," COO Ed Carroll confirmed during the company's earnings call with Wall Street on Tuesday.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like World Beyond won't air until the fall:
Expected I suppose.

They haven't technically delayed the season premiere of Fear yet, have they? I was surprised when they said it's still coming this summer after the last episode of TWD. There's no way it isn't getting delayed, they haven't been able to film for weeks.