• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
There's a hole in their fence on the opposite side of their base perimeter from where the studio entrance is, there are a couple enemies here you can pick off relatively safely without alerting others and then you can sneak around behind some stacks of lumber. From there you should see a garage entrance on your right that has 2-3 enemies inside, don't go in there, instead stay crouched and go past the garages (note that there sometimes is one patrolling guard here so be mindful of their position, they do a loop in and out of the garage entrances). After the second garage entrance on your right is passed you should see a smaller dimly lit garage in front of you, that's where the intel is. Stay crouched and just make a beeline for it. It's about 50-50 if you get spotted here so prepare to hole up in there to fend a few off as they track you down. When the enemies stop coming grab the intel (don't forget the weapon recipe on the same table) and make your way out the same way you came in.

This is definitely one of the most difficult Tower cache areas to infiltrate due to sheer numbers of Tower soldiers though it ended up being one of the most satisfyingly tense sections in the whole game for me due to just how vigilant you have to be at every moment and make every shot count.

just finished this section myself and did pretty close to your spoiler tag, got back out and was taken down in the street, but at least that left my back pack with the quest item far enough away from the base to snag it quick and run back to the boat right as the bells rang

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
just finished this section myself and did pretty close to your spoiler tag, got back out and was taken down in the street, but at least that left my back pack with the quest item far enough away from the base to snag it quick and run back to the boat right as the bells rang

lol I got taken out at that same point as well, had to backtrack for the backpack right in front of one of their gates. Thankfully the guards were too distracted taking out zombies to shoot at me.

I've only had one bells moment so far and it was towards the end of the
school/gymnasium
level. You're supposed to talk to a character as the final task and the game had zero fucks to give that I was mid conversation with them so a group of zombies decides to bust in before I finish my interaction with the npc and I get eaten...cue huffing it all the way back to the npc, the bells ring and that "get your ass moving" music starts thumping. Thank god my stamina was upgraded enough by this point, that was the most intense run back to the skiff as the zombie numbers began multiplying like crazy.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly changes every time you sleep? I really hate when designers are so vague about how their timers work. Is there a time limit for the entire game? Will I get to a point where I can't continue because I slept too much and will need to start the whole game over? What do they mean when they say that supplies are diminishing? Are they talking about the supplies I collected? Do they take away some of my own supplies when I sleep? Are there some other supplies they are referring to? How many more undead are added to levels every time I sleep?

Also, what is up with the sidequests? I got one in the first zone to kill some zombie in the blue mansion. They gave me a key. I didn't make it to the room on the day they gave me the quest. I eventually made it,but now the key is gone from my inventory. I went back to where the quest giver was the previous day and they are gone as well. Can I ever redo that quest or is it gone forever?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly changes every time you sleep? I really hate when designers are so vague about how their timers work. Is there a time limit for the entire game? Will I get to a point where I can't continue because I slept too much and will need to start the whole game over? What do they mean when they say that supplies are diminishing? Are they talking about the supplies I collected? Do they take away some of my own supplies when I sleep? Are there some other supplies they are referring to? How many more undead are added to levels every time I sleep?

Also, what is up with the sidequests? I got one in the first zone to kill some zombie in the blue mansion. They gave me a key. I didn't make it to the room on the day they gave me the quest. I eventually made it,but now the key is gone from my inventory. I went back to where the quest giver was the previous day and they are gone as well. Can I ever redo that quest or is it gone forever?

The key should be in your quest inventory. Is the lady who gave you the quest still there?

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
This game is like Dead Rising meets RE7 and I'm really enjoying it, although I think the game is sometimes extremely dark but I don't know if it's by design. Half the time the flashlight on your chest is useless when searching through drawers and cabinets.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not sure if it's a bug with the game or Quest Link but there seems to be an issue I have with any loud sound in the game. Like when a gun fires it sounds like it's being heavily distorted with a tons of artifact.

Not unlike this funny video:

Anyone got a fix potentially for it?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Man, the whole game has sort of clicked for me in the last play session. I basically hadn't truly clocked that The Tower = the bad guys. I guess because they don't immediately attack you, I figured you might be able to do things bloodlessly, but that doesn't really seem to be how they push you to play.

I also didn't realise that the time pressure on the game isn't quite as severe as I was thinking it was. The cache info you start to get seems to be more worth following than the critical story path, as it lets you stock up on crafting materials and get stronger before you head to the more dangerous areas.

One thing I'd really appreciate though is some tooltips on how each of the guns functions in regards to reloading and clearing a jam. I picked up a pump shotgun from a body and it jammed on me and that basically got me killed. Similarly the lever action rifle didn't really function as I expected, with it requiring a twist of the trigger hand rather than a pump.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone manage to find the grass cutter (katana-ish weapon) blueprint? If so please do share location and if it's in a safe where the code for it is :)

Dual wielding the claws is so much damn fun, and "4th and Pain" street sign bladed weapon is great too, that requires like zero force compared to other melee weapons for an instant kill.

Finished another run yesterday and this time got to the actual Reserve with the m4a4 recipe and tons of metal resources. I initially thought the recipe drawing for the ammo looked like a flamethrower and then realized it was the machining press for making the rounds xD

I was pretty bummed coming back to the recipe table and wondering where my flamethrower recipe sheet was :P

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So awesome to kill a few guys quietly in a heavily guarded compound, hiding and waiting a bit for them to come back to life as zombies and then taking advantage of the chaos that ensues to kill the rest as they have their hands full fighting off the undead.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
I'm trying to get the first cache and I just keep dying. I can't stealth because they see me instantly and I can't shoot for shit apparently even when cross hairs are locked on and holding with two hands. I honestly don't know what to do here and it's getting frustrating.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Of course after I made that post I managed to do it lol. When the fight broke out between the two sides I shot some of them to drain their numbers, made it easier to remain undetected.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Just beat the old town tower cache, took a lot of tries but realized you just have to get clever. Lots of sneaking through other houses, picking off a few from a distance with the pump rifle, thew some bottles and cans to distract some humans or make zombies attack them, Peak around corners and through holes in fences, run in and out when I could. This game definitely has a few issues (game crashes, my hands spazzing out in game whenever I try to use bandages) but damn when it clicks it really does show how amazing and immersive vr can be.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Anyone manage to find the grass cutter (katana-ish weapon) blueprint? If so please do share location and if it's in a safe where the code for it is :)
I could swear that I see that in the list of regular unlocks you get from upgrading the crafting station?
Also it looks like safe codes are randomized? The Eurogamer video of the game had a different code for the first safe than I had.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
My god I wanna buy this, but I genuinely think I won't be able to handle it.
Honestly I don't think it's that scary. Maybe it's because the idea of zombies (especially slow walking ones) doesn't really freak me out, but even in the dark in the houses I don't feel any more than a bit freaked out. It's not like playing Resi or something where there's something with intelligence hunting you. It's just dumb zombies that you stab in the head.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Honestly I don't think it's that scary. Maybe it's because the idea of zombies (especially slow walking ones) doesn't really freak me out, but even in the dark in the houses I don't feel any more than a bit freaked out. It's not like playing Resi or something where there's something with intelligence hunting you. It's just dumb zombies that you stab in the head.

Thanks so much for this, think I might buy it. Looks amazing, I'm just quite jumpy lol.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Thanks so much for this, think I might buy it. Looks amazing, I'm just quite jumpy lol.
One thing I will say is because it's not a 'scripted' game, there aren't really jump scares. I mean a zombie might surprise you but there's nothing that's specifically meant to be scary. That said, it can get very tense and when your weapons break and you're forced to fend off zombies with your bare hands can get quite dicey, but I don't really class that as 'scary' and more 'intense'.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I could swear that I see that in the list of regular unlocks you get from upgrading the crafting station?
Also it looks like safe codes are randomized? The Eurogamer video of the game had a different code for the first safe than I had.

Yeah I know the codes are random I was just asking for the location of the code sheet, but I think you're right and that items already showing a sheet with no clues written or question marks can only be unlocked using the regular resource unlocks...I could've sworn the lever action rifle could be unlocked either way but maybe it was only an unlock as a recipe.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah I know the codes are random I was just asking for the location of the code sheet, but I think you're right and that items already showing a sheet with no clues written or question marks can only be unlocked using the regular resource unlocks...I could've sworn the lever action rifle could be unlocked either way but maybe it was only an unlock as a recipe.
There's two rifles, bolt action and lever action. The latter is a recipe you can find, the former you have to pay resources to unlock.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
8 hours in and the game is amazing. Was able to retrieve the intel box in The Ward last night, in addition to furthering the main quest line. I'm surprised how much I actually enjoy the crafting in this game - as they made it very simple but worthwhile.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I wish my bandages worked as smoothly as the video, anyone else's arms just freak the fuck out when they try to do bandages? Makes it almost impossible to do it quickly and accurately.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
can't say I've noticed anything strange when bandaging. You loosing tracking maybe? what HMD/Controllers?

Oculus Rift S with touch controllers, room seems pretty well lit too as I hear darkness could be an issue. No idea what it happens, haven't really encountered it in other VR games I play. When i try to take the right controller and do the wrap around my left arm in the game the hands just go super janky and stutter about, occasionally they will stretch armstrong out like 5 feet in front of me, which is comical visually but not very useful in a zombie apocolypse.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oculus Rift S with touch controllers, room seems pretty well lit too as I hear darkness could be an issue. No idea what it happens, haven't really encountered it in other VR games I play. When i try to take the right controller and do the wrap around my left arm in the game the hands just go super janky and stutter about, occasionally they will stretch armstrong out like 5 feet in front of me, which is comical visually but not very useful in a zombie apocolypse.
Haven't had issues with my Quest and the same controllers.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

You may have already discovered this for yourself but make no mistake if you're jumpy this game can be quite spooky even though it doesn't have traditional scripted jump scares. The experience of going into all these dark interiors with a crummy flashlight that has the world's shittiest batteries and stumbling upon a zombie or cluster of them just chilling on the other side of a door can certainly give one a fright, and I say this as an all around lover of all things horror. Oh yeah and sometimes they burst through doors in front of you randomly so enjoy looking forward to that :P

I also wouldn't categorize them as just dumb zombies, they keep pretty good pace with you as you're running away from them and can easily catch up to you particularly at the beginning parts of the game when your stamina is low. These aren't your typical slow ass RE zombies. Think more L4D jogging types (that can do a lot more damage more quickly).

The tense survival moments when you're trying to wrestle bandaging yourself while escaping a horde all the while your stamina meter gives out forcing you to drop whatever weapon you're holding leaving you defenseless can be downright nerve wracking. It also happens to be one of the most satisfying survival games out there so as for gameplay it's one of the best in that department. I'd say it's well worth a buy for that alone :)

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't had issues with my Quest and the same controllers.

Since it doesn't happen in other games that I noticed, makes me think its something on the game's end (I'll probably boot up Boneworks or something to play a bit and see if it happens there, in case it is a newly developing problem with my hardware). I don't think I'm doing the motions wrong, wish they had tutorial videos that showed a real person doing the movements.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
8 hours in and the game is amazing. Was able to retrieve the intel box in The Ward last night, in addition to furthering the main quest line. I'm surprised how much I actually enjoy the crafting in this game - as they made it very simple but worthwhile.
Yeah I love it too. And even stuff like unloading the contents of my backpack one by one into the recycle bin is so much fun, they nailed the mechanics and animations of that, never gets old for me.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting a guy in a house, shoot this dude then hide behind the door frame with a knife. He yells "i'm coming for you"! and comes through the door, I stab him directly in the eye , yank the knife out and say " come for that bitch" and hear my voice echo off the wall in the house.......that's some next gen shit right now :O

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love it too. And even stuff like unloading the contents of my backpack one by one into the recycle bin is so much fun, they nailed the mechanics and animations of that, never gets old for me.

So satisfying when you return to the bus and have so much to throw into the recycle bin.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fighting a guy in a house, shoot this dude then hide behind the door frame with a knife. He yells "i'm coming for you"! and comes through the door, I stab him directly in the eye , yank the knife out and say " come for that bitch" and hear my voice echo off the wall in the house.......that's some next gen shit right now :O

This sounds insane.

How do you move around in this game?

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
So moving like a standard video game? Dual analogue? How does that feel?
Personally it took me a little bit to be able to play full locomotion games when I first started VR. Its not something I would suggest you do for your very first game, but everyone is different, some people have no issue with it. There are some vignette options you can use when first starting out that you can turn down later.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
My favorite moment so far, is so goddamn simple. I was looking at a .30 revolver dropped by an enemy to see how many rounds it had left in, and as I pointed it up, the loaded bullets fell out of it, so I was able to pick up the individual rounds and add them to my own ammo.

When things in VR just work how they should in real life, and it's unexpected, it's great.

This is definitely a top tier VR title. If not a new bar. I feel more comfortable saying it's better than Boneworks having played more. It still needs a fix, with regards to the crouch situation (but it's totally manageable now at least), but it plays so goddamn well. The inventory system, the holsters, the shouldered weapons, the crafting, the exploration, it's really really compelling.

I'm sure Alyx will be better, and it definitely isn't AAA. I don't know that I prefer it to, say RE7 as an overall VR experience, but it definitely shines in ways that doesn't as a game built from the ground up for VR. It feels so fresh. 2020 is going to be a banner year for VR if this is where we are in January.

I just got the intel cache from the Ward, somehow I managed on my second try (after being taken out almost immediately on my first). Dropping three enemies in as many seconds was fantastic.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

The issue I have with it is how visceral it is. You shove a a screwdriver into the top of a zombie's skull and you need to push it down to kill it. Doing this abstractly on a normal game controller is quite different than literally doing it with your own hands completely immersed in VR. It's pretty disturbing.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
The issue I have with it is how visceral it is. You shove a a screwdriver into the top of a zombie's skull and you need to push it down to kill it. Doing this abstractly on a normal game controller is quite different than literally doing it with your own hands completely immersed in VR. It's pretty disturbing.

To add to this, the sound design is really well done and makes the combat you described feel that much more visceral. I would love to hear what they used as reference for some of the sound effects of hitting a zombie's head with a nail lined baseball bat, because it sounds pretty great.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
I have absolutely no experience with VR in any shape or form, but I'm planning on picking up a Rift S this weekend and this sounds like a pretty killer app. Should I have no problem going straight into this or do the controls take a while to get the hang of? Is there any other games I should probably try out first? I'm pretty hyped.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no experience with VR in any shape or form, but I'm planning on picking up a Rift S this weekend and this sounds like a pretty killer app. Should I have no problem going straight into this or do the controls take a while to get the hang of? Is there any other games I should probably try out first? I'm pretty hyped.
Download some free SteamVR and Occulus stuff and get used to VR for a little bit. When you jump into Walking Dead keep the vignettes on until you get used to the locomotion. If you start to feel sick or anything stop, don't try to power through it. Some things that helped me get used to free locomotion was pointing a fan at myself, ginger candy, and walking in place when i move in game (seriously eheh). People have different resistance rates to it, so you could be completely fine.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017

This is definitely an 'advanced' VR game, something that I wouldn't recommend someone new to VR try as their first experience. I would definitely do The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer, Rec Room, or some other classic games that rely on teleportation before jumping straight into a smooth locomotion game.