• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

New trailer to announce the release date, and some new gameplay footages.

blog.playstation.com

The Walking Dead Onslaught launches on PS VR September 29

New trailer and gameplay details revealed for tie-in to the hit AMC series.

New news today. Apparently the game will feature a campaign mode (starring Daryl) and a Scavenger Mode where you will go on supply run as Rick, Daryl, Michonne and Carol to collect resources to rebuild community and upgrade weapons.

Pre-order is live now on Oculus and Steam (PS Store later). Also physical release for Playstation version confirmed for release in October

Standard edition ($29.99) pre-order comes with 10% discount, as well as 2 character skins and 2 weapon skins.
TWDOsteam_pre-order_art.png

Deluxe edition pre--order ($39.99) comes with whatever is in the standard pre-order edition, along with 4 weapons (from the show), crafting starter kit, mini-OST and digital art book.
1920_x_1080.png

The Deluxe Edition will also be coming to physical release. For physical, there is also a special Survivor Edition, which comprises of every digital extras, along with exclusive steel book and 2 of 5 collectable postcards.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
hm... Looks decent enough. Though guessing from the trailer that this is less focused on scavenging and exploring (like Saints & Sinners is) and more just about killing through a level?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Looks alright but Saints and Sinners may have set the bar a bit too high. This seems like a more straight-forward shooter... which yeah can't be worse than Survival Instinct but the Bethesda-lite scavenger-RPG aspect of S&S is what really sold it.

Good to see Sam Porter back so soon as well haha

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Is this made by the same team as S&S? Because the weight of the melee, the spin of the knife and recoil of the gun look EXACTLY the same as S&S. I'm curious if it's the same engine but i can't fucking wait. I absolutely loved S&S and any chance to kill more zombies in VR i am in.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Shame they had to delay it for so long, Saints & Sinners totally ate it's lunch. Still buying it but I don't expect that it'll even compare.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This is looking much better than before, you can see the Saints and Sinners influence a bit. I ended up bouncing off S&S because of the time limit, all the survival stuff and resource gathering, the overly weighty animations and bad combat againt humans. If this is just straight up about chilling at my own pace and slaughtering zombies I might buy.

edit- reading up more about it in recent interviews it looks like they added all that extra survival stuff to this game too. Well it can still work for me if it has no annoying time limits at least, I don't like being hurried, specially in VR.

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fun, will most likely pick it up at launch if the reviews aren't terrible.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Was surprised to hear Norman Reedus (though I guess I shouldn't be, he's been pretty good about lending his voice to the show's licensed games). That definitely wasn't Andrew Lincoln though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is this made by the same team as S&S? Because the weight of the melee, the spin of the knife and recoil of the gun look EXACTLY the same as S&S. I'm curious if it's the same engine but i can't fucking wait. I absolutely loved S&S and any chance to kill more zombies in VR i am in.

According to Steam it's developed by Survios who also made the VR titles: Raw Data (pretty good), Creed, Sprint Vector, Westworld Awakening, a few others. Though I've only ever played Raw Data.

S&S was made by Skydance Interactive's own team.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Its by Survios, who have experiences making many high quality VR titles, so they are pretty much a veteran in the VR gaming industry.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
blog.playstation.com

The Walking Dead Onslaught launches on PS VR September 29

New trailer and gameplay details revealed for tie-in to the hit AMC series.

New news today. Apparently the game will feature a campaign mode (starring Daryl) and a Scavenger Mode where you will go on supply run as Rick, Daryl, Michonne and Carol to collect resources to rebuild community and upgrade weapons.

Pre-order is live now on Oculus and Steam (PS Store later). Also physical release for Playstation version confirmed for release in October

Standard edition ($29.99) pre-order comes with 10% discount, as well as 2 character skins and 2 weapon skins.
TWDOsteam_pre-order_art.png

Deluxe edition pre--order ($39.99) comes with whatever is in the standard pre-order edition, along with 4 weapons (from the show), crafting starter kit, mini-OST and digital art book.
1920_x_1080.png

The Deluxe Edition will also be coming to physical release. For physical, there is also a special Survivor Edition, which comprises of every digital extras, along with exclusive steel book and 2 of 5 collectable postcards.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So this is out today? Has anyone had chance to play it yet? I know it's a different developer, but given how much I dug Saints & Sinners I'm hoping this is another good TWD VR game.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
This looks like it was the first game in a series that had good ideas on paper but bad execution and finally led to TWD: Saints & Sinners as a Sequel...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say I'm shocked...

But I sort of expected this the moment I learned this was based off of the TV show.

Makes sense the game based on the comics was good and the show game bad.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So this review says Onslaught feels at times like a sequel to Arizona Sunshine. I think I'll be okay with that, as I quite enjoyed Arizona Sunshine despite its utter simplicity. But it'll hard to shake the Saints & Sinners comparisons, especially given how awesome that game was.

This review also says Onslaught is in contention for best VR graphics of the year so I'm especially keen to see how it stacks up to ALYX.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Reviews seem to paint a middling to okay response. Shame. Saints & Sinners was so damn great.

Also, would've liked to have been playing this now but it won't let me download it on the Oculus store despite buying it two days ago.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is an absolute pile of shit. It feels like a sequel to The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. I actually can't think of a 2020 game that I've hated playing as much as this.

Buy Saints & Sinners instead. If you already own it, play it again. Don't touch this with a thirty foot pole.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Saints and Sinners being as good as it was stands as more of a surprise than this game being total shit.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Can't play it even if I wanted to, it's out everywhere but on the Oculus store... who just put out a page saying it's now out.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Saints and Sinners being as good as it was stands as more of a surprise than this game being total shit.

We're two out of four now right? The Telltale stuff was awesome, Survival Instinct was bad, Saints & Sinners was awesome, Onslaught is bad. And so it goes.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably skip this. I Think Squadrons will be my next VR purchase. Only 3 more days to go!

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Saints and sinners is my favorite VR game. Even more-so than Alyx. Probably because it was such a surprise to me? Like I expected Alyx to be good, but S&S was an out of nowhere amazing experience.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing reviews for the most part, the silence on this one prior to release didn't give me much confidence. It's a shame cause Survios is a very solid VR dev with some great titles in their catalog.

This review also says Onslaught is in contention for best VR graphics of the year so I'm especially keen to see how it stacks up to ALYX.

This looks absolutely terrible compared to Alyx visually, you can clearly see that in the video review you posted too. I highly doubt in-headset is going to change those impressions. Saints and Sinners looks a good deal better than this graphically as well.

I have a feeling this got rushed out for release and I'm sure like almost all games in dev Covid played a role. It just looks very unpolished which is unusual for a Survios game. I was really hoping this would be better, its felt particularly dry for new VR releases with a moderate budget behind them. I think Squadrons and Medal of Honor are about it for the rest of the year unless I missed something.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Survival Instinct so I'll get this on the cheap used down the road.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
That's a shame, I was hoping this would be a Saints & Sinners without all the annoying stuff that made me stop playing that one.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So this review says Onslaught feels at times like a sequel to Arizona Sunshine. I think I'll be okay with that, as I quite enjoyed Arizona Sunshine despite its utter simplicity. But it'll hard to shake the Saints & Sinners comparisons, especially given how awesome that game was.

Maybe it looks dramatically better on other platforms but on PSVR it's pretty damn ugly, I'd say Saints and Sinners looks better.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Saints and sinners is my favorite VR game. Even more-so than Alyx. Probably because it was such a surprise to me? Like I expected Alyx to be good, but S&S was an out of nowhere amazing experience.

I honestly don't think anyone expected S&S to be as good as it was. I think the general impression was that it was going to be a standard zombie experience...

And then you begin to play and on top of the survival elements (which themselves are implemented great) it plays almost like an immersive sim? Like it wouldn't be out of place next to something like Duex Ex and Prey. Not necessarily cause of a ton of RPG stats and such but in how it takes player choice into account.

Such an amazing surprise.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I played an hour or so and yeah... it's not great. It looks awful, some of the texture work is really bad (just look at some trees and car models), and it's janky as hell. Everybody so far sounds bored as hell, with the stand-ins for the actual cast members doing a much better job saying their lines. I suppose the one thing it gets right from the show is how boring and unscary the zombies are... they're just a nuisance and, at least so far, you really seem better off using your knife or cleaver than guns. I'm going to play more later to see how the expansion of Alexandria and upgrades work out but it's so far a very middle of the road experience.

Oh, and yeah, that review I posted where the guy said it's in contention for best VR graphics of the year needs to stop smoking crack and open his eyes.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the necrobump but I somehow missed this was updated a few weeks back. Anyone had chance to play it since all the rebalancing and see if it makes for a better experience?

www.roadtovr.com

'The Walking Dead Onslaught' Update Aims to Rebalance Weapons, Zombies & Combat

The Walking Dead Onslaught (2020) launched onto PSVR and PC headsets late last month to less than glowing reviews. Developers Survios aren’t giving up on the single player zombie shooter though, as the studio has released a new patch that aims to rebalance zombies, weapons, and the game’s combat...