• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Me, entering this thread: "Yeah, unless it's Rick dying then it pretty much changes nothing."

Me, reading this thread: "Well, if this is a dream then fuck these dudes. Otherwise, this might actually do what the title says!"

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Having not regularly followed the comics in forever, are there currently other regular characters who can take the "Rick" status in the books, or is this supposed to be a transition to Carl being the main character?

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I am caught up on both the comic and the show but I have this weird feeling that I am not following a narrative or a story but following the never ending grim adventures of zombie world. Still love both just feel like both are just winging it to keep it going and didn't have a plan for an endgame.

Example is this, and constantly killing off mainstays and introducing replacements.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I am caught up on both the comic and the show but I have this weird feeling that I am not following a narrative or a story but following the never ending grim adventures of zombie world. Still love both just feel like both are just winging it to keep it going and didn't have a plan for an endgame.

Example is this, and constantly killing off mainstays and introducing replacements.

I mean this is literally exactly what Kirkman said the series is when he started it.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I had always been waiting for it to become the Carl show. Surprised it took so long and a shame they killed him off in the series.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Having stopped reading around the time Neegan was introduced, I always knew this was gonna happen eventually if the comics went on long enough. I don't know that I care enough to get into the series again, it's just too exhausting.

This is the first time seeing a Walking Dead panel. Are Carl and Rick Puerto Rican in the comic?
the fuck?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy. I'd always thought Kirkma said The Walking Dead was "Rick's story" but I guess he changed his mind.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that site was horrible to browse on mobile.

Weird to this close to #200. Maybe its bullshit.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having not regularly followed the comics in forever, are there currently other regular characters who can take the "Rick" status in the books, or is this supposed to be a transition to Carl being the main character?

It's certainly the latter, as Kirkman has spoken often that Carl would step into his father's shoes once Rick is out of the picture.

Leader-wise outside of Carl, Maggie and Michonne are probably best suited to trying to keep everyone together while Carl figures everything out. Negan could potentially step-up as well, when he is brought back in. That would actually be a nice end to his arc, him sticking to Rick's vision and letting Carl take the reins when he is ready. There's a lot of set-up for it now looking back

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having stopped reading around the time Neegan was introduced, I always knew this was gonna happen eventually if the comics went on long enough. I don't know that I care enough to get into the series again, it's just too exhausting.

the fuck?
Rick has a nice shape-up in the first post. Again, first comic panel I've ever seen of Rick and Carl.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
It's certainly the latter, as Kirkman has spoken often that Carl would step into his father's shoes once Rick is out of the picture.

Leader-wise outside of Carl, Maggie and Michonne are probably best suited to trying to keep everyone together while Carl figures everything out. Negan could potentially step-up as well, when he is brought back in. That would actually be a nice end to his arc, him sticking to Rick's vision and letting Carl take the reins when he is ready. There's a lot of set-up for it now looking back
Ah, I see. And yeah, based on what I've seen, they definitely seem to be leading up to something with the relationship between Negan and Carl.

Oct 27, 2017
This really isn't a surprise anymore considering how much these types of "near misses" with Rick have occurred over the years. The mundane/relatively boring way it happened is the most interesting thing really.

Weird how this would've been a bold move if it happened at like issue 20, maybe even 50 or 100, but now it's fairly unsurprising the longer the series goes. Almost expected at this point.

Not that any of that is a bad thing really.

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
Just read the issue. I thought it was well done and I liked the last talk he had with Carlene last issue. Walking Dead is still a great book all these years later and I'm glad for it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
This really isn't a surprise anymore considering how much these types of "near misses" with Rick have occurred over the years. The mundane/relatively boring way it happened is the most interesting thing really.

I agree. The fact that Rick went out in such a small, lonely, intimate way was refreshing, appropriate, and the only surprising thing about the last few issues. The conflict in the Commonwealth unfortunately played out in pretty much the exact way I thought it would from the moment it was first introduced, aside from Rick's death.

I don't think Robert Kirkman has much range (or interesting ideas), so anything that forces him to do something even slightly different is a good thing.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
During the filming of The Princess Bride, Andre the Giant shocked the cast and crew when he let out a thunderous fart that lasted for about 17 seconds.

And that's what I think of The Walking Dead: as a long-winded fart.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Kirman say the story was over when Rick died?

People keep saying that, but having read most of the Letter Hacks through the years since they arrived at the prison, I've seen the opposite. The past several years he's been adamant that all this has been setting up a future for Carl and he would carry on after Rick.