• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well that was a way to end it! I thought the two parts of the premiere were pretty good. The fight in the subway car with the walkers felt like a video game.

I'm glad they are still doing the Michonne Commonwealth storyline with Yumiko now. The scene with Stephanie at the end was cute.

Also fuck Gage, don't care in the slightest that he's gone hah.

Aug 7, 2019
Maggie and Negan are well on their way to becoming best friends, Glenn is smiling down on them

Appreciated Princess' hyper-observance, though Eugene's long interrogation about being a virgin was strange

and I thought I saw Heath's name on the wall but I doubt that's ever mentioned again

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me was hoping Negans redemption arc ended positive. I was like…come on man lower your hand and help. Ugh.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this show so in love with Negan? He should have died several seasons ago.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was happy with Negan in both episodes.

We fkn get it Maggie, but you didn't do shit when you could have years ago so get the hella fuck over it. Tbh Negan is being too nice. She wouldn't be giving me side eye like she has been. From this point forward I would save her if she needs help but I wouldn't be even a little bit friendly with her.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty slow start to the season imo. The events of these two episodes feel like they would have been better suited for 10.C (obviously I understand that COVID seriously limited what they could do in 10.C). I just don't think this feels much like season premiere material.

I thought they'd end the premiere with the reveal of the Commonwealth. Really hope they don't drag it out for much longer...

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Saw the first two episodes and am extremely impressed. They are making this final season count.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Solid first 2 episodes.

As far as Negan goes, there is no redemption for him. I hope he gets his much sooner than later, and I hope the person that gives it to him is Maggie.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to believe they will end the show's run without bringing back Rick (and probably Michhone too).

I know they had like movies planned and all that, but the show has declined a lot in popularity from its peak and the brand as a whole needs that shot in the arm now, not waiting for movies that could be another 1-2 years off and have already been put on the back burner by COVID.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is weird they keep finding old food supplies so many years in the apocalypse.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It is weird they keep finding old food supplies so many years in the apocalypse.
I'unno. They stressed in the premiere that they haven't had much luck finding food, which is what caused them to check out the army base. And it makes sense that its supplies would still be there if the placed is infested with zombies; that'd scare most people away from trying.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'unno. They stressed in the premiere that they haven't had much luck finding food, which is what caused them to check out the army base. And it makes sense that its supplies would still be there if the placed is infested with zombies; that'd scare most people away from trying.
After 12 years, I would expect them to find nothing though.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Good second episode even though I feel like the pacing was all over the place.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have AMC's subscription service (and I'm shocked by the number of people in this thread who do) but the first episode was a sleep-inducing bore repeating the same beats we've seen a billion times as this show slowly shambles towards the finish line.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The spoilers are for episode 2:

Because he's a complete asshole who brutally murdered two close friends of the remaining main cast, there was no reason for him to be put into prison instead of being killed, he showed no remorse, didn't apologize etc., they killed others for less. But Negan gets to live, is freed, still shows no remorse, is still an asshole and still dangerous. Him doing the "I won't kill you but I don't have to save you either" thing with Maggie proves he hasn't grown that much. That was the moment he could have proven to Maggie that he changed, he chose not to so why the fuck keep him around all this time? If the show had given him an actual redemption arc I could live with it but this is ridiculous.

Ugh😤

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
The spoilers are for episode 2:

Because he's a complete asshole who brutally murdered two close friends of the remaining main cast, there was no reason for him to be put into prison instead of being killed, he showed no remorse, didn't apologize etc., they killed others for less. But Negan gets to live, is freed, still shows no remorse, is still an asshole and still dangerous. Him doing the "I won't kill you but I don't have to save you either" thing with Maggie proves he hasn't grown that much. That was the moment he could have proven to Maggie that he changed, he chose not to so why the fuck keep him around all this time? If the show had given him an actual redemption arc I could live with it but this is ridiculous.

Ugh😤

People are suckers for charismatic alpha males.

And speaking of charisma: Punished Maggie continues to be a boring edgelord, delivered with what has to be the most persistently bad attempt at a Southern accent in TV history.

sagi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2021
I don't have AMC's subscription service (and I'm shocked by the number of people in this thread who do) but the first episode was a sleep-inducing bore repeating the same beats we've seen a billion times as this show slowly shambles towards the finish line.
Im currently trying to get through the six covid episodes... its sooo boring... i just cant finish the daryl episode... can i just skip it?

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wait there's a second episode already?

I just checked and there's only one on Disney+ (UK)

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Im currently trying to get through the six covid episodes... its sooo boring... i just cant finish the daryl episode... can i just skip it?
Absolutely. Nothing in those bonus episodes is necessary. There's some solid stuff in a couple of them, but completely non-essential.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I have questions, but let's make it one question.

They didn't save Gage because he was a coward (they most DEFINITELY had time) but then they took the busted, injured, also a coward guy out (so he could be conveniently killed at the end). WHY

BUT WHY

My only other comment is that I'm proud of Eugene lol.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched episode three.

Holy shit what an opening. There were some really tense moments this episode. A lot of b-tier character deaths, but still. Seeing Maggie and Negan get forced together by circumstance has been interesting, I'm really curious to see how things play out with them. I was certain one will eventually kill the other, but now I'm not quite so sure.

Carol killing the horse was sad, but they're in some hard times right now.

Alden is absolutely not gonna be (alive) there when Maggie comes back for him.

Really liked the episode all-in-all. Love the vibe this season has so far.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't get why they threw away the whole Negan becoming a better guy arc they spent so much time on

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why they threw away the whole Negan becoming a better guy arc they spent so much time on
He's realized that no matter what he does, they aren't going to see him as one of them after all the stuff he's done, especially with Maggie being back now. But he is still one of them since he's being allowed to live with them, so he's just doing what he thinks is right to get things done, whether they agree with him or not.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I honestly kinda hate how AMC+ gives people the next episode a full week in advance, makes discussing the show so segmented and annoying in a way.

Gage's death annoyed me. You had two big ass knives, at least attempt to kill the walkers you bum. Instead let's stab ourselves in the heart for no reason then get ripped to shreds by walkers. Good one. Also I know this has been pointed out numerous times but at this point these walkers shouldn't have near the strength to tear someone's flesh like that.

Another oversight that annoyed me was at the end before Daryl showed up to save them they must have killed like what, 20 or more walkers as they walked through that tiny ass traincar door? Wouldn't the bodies just pile up in front of them which would block more walkers coming through?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Maggie: Negan is an asshole, he saw me in trouble and didn't try to save me.
Also Maggie: Let that kid Gage die.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
I so want a Negan spin off. Maggie is grating on me this series. Fucks off and abandons her people for a few years. Comes back, by all means lead us again. Hope Negan Lucilles 2.0s her at some point.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Can we talk about how the phrases 'hot take' and 'living rent free in someone's head' just showed up in The Walking Dead universe...

I may be wrong....but arent these relatively recent phrases?

Maggie: Negan is an asshole, he saw me in trouble and didn't try to save me.
Also Maggie: Let that kid Gage die.
Also, the exact situation they were supposedly trying to avoid...still happened anyway....lol.

So dude literally died for nothing.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Another oversight that annoyed me was at the end before Daryl showed up to save them they must have killed like what, 20 or more walkers as they walked through that tiny ass traincar door? Wouldn't the bodies just pile up in front of them which would block more walkers coming through?
Yeah I thought this and also how do the walkers not trip? They have real good spatial awareness for shambling dead

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Man I'm just not feeling this season at all...I don't know, I think it's me. This show has long overstayed it's welcome in my eyes and that plays a part for me for sure.

Negan's arc has been the only interesting thing for me in the past few seasons and I don't know what to think now...the episode last season with his backstory was one if not the best in the entire run as far as I'm concerned.

Now we're stuck in this weird redemption good guy / same old Negan tug of war lol...can totally see him saving Maggie or Hershel and dying in the process or killing everyone haha. I don't know.

At this point, just ready for the show to be over.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about how the phrases 'hot take' and 'living rent free in someone's head' just showed up in The Walking Dead universe...

I may be wrong....but arent these relatively recent phrases?

Also, the exact situation they were supposedly trying to avoid...still happened anyway....lol.

So dude literally died for nothing.
When dude said 'hot take' I was like nah that phrase just started to get use way after this series began. You can't throw current vocab in the show and act like we're supposed to ignore it lol.

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't watched in forever. Is Aaron still alive? Everyone is written as a moron so I have no idea what might have happened. Even Carol has outlived her badass shelf life.

when Aaron's gone then we can wrap it all up.

Sep 24, 2020
I stopped watching this during Season 7 or 8, can't remember which, but recently saw that Disney+ has season 1 - 10 now so tempted to start again. I didn't like the pacing for the weekly episodes but with it all being out I could easily back to back it.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
For someone who hasn't watched pass season 7, is seasons 8-11 worth catching up on? I had fatigue during season 7 and generally season 7 felt so slow to me but it's also been 4 or so years since then. Are the newer seasons worth watching?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
For someone who hasn't watched pass season 7, is seasons 8-11 worth catching up on? I had fatigue during season 7 and generally season 7 felt so slow to me but it's also been 4 or so years since then. Are the newer seasons worth watching?
On one hand, it was too stretched out, nothing as good as season 1 or 2. On the other hand, binging it still made me continue.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Seasons 7 and 8 are definitely the series' low point (followed by seasons 1 and 2). 9 and 10 are some of the best seasons of the show though. Too early to say re: S11 but it seems to be shaping up nicely.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
On one hand, it was too stretched out, nothing as good as season 1 or 2. On the other hand, binging it still made me continue.

Yeah this is definitely the kind of show that works better when you can just binge a whole season.

Seasons 7 and 8 are definitely the series' low point (followed by seasons 1 and 2). 9 and 10 are some of the best seasons of the show though. Too early to say re: S11 but it seems to be shaping up nicely.

Interesting. I actually really liked season 1 and 2. 1 more so then 2. Generally I found 1-5 were mostly great, 6 was alright, 7 premiere was incredible but then the season was pretty slow paced. Finished it and then I had not gone back. Was extremely bummed when they wrote off Rick Grimes as he was my personal favorite character so I had not gone back to the show once that happened. Been considering giving it a second look. It's been a good 4-5 years since I watched the show and sometimes I'll catch a small scene on tv or a trailer and it kind of makes me want to catch up lol.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it definitely killed most discussions having the week separation. Have really liked the start of the season so far, for the most part.

Just watched episode three.

Holy shit what an opening. There were some really tense moments this episode. A lot of b-tier character deaths, but still. Seeing Maggie and Negan get forced together by circumstance has been interesting, I'm really curious to see how things play out with them. I was certain one will eventually kill the other, but now I'm not quite so sure.

Carol killing the horse was sad, but they're in some hard times right now.

Alden is absolutely not gonna be (alive) there when Maggie comes back for him.

Really liked the episode all-in-all. Love the vibe this season has so far.
Yeah.

The deaths were definitely just fodder for us unlike Maggie but still seeing them drop like flies being how they've ended up stuck together was a rather successful way to do it for me compared past more accidental ways it could have happened as I was really sucked in during the part where Maggie's alone in those mall ruins, it was really well done with the tension around every corner, building off of how badly they got slaughtered in that opening one-sided battle and those close shots at her.

Gabe had another cool moment taking out that Reaper and I enjoyed Negan's "So we're going toward the screaming. Cool."

Last edited:

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Season eight wasn't great to me when it aired, but while I haven't gotten to it yet in my rewatch, I get the feeling that it'll be much more tolerable when binged versus watching it one episode per week. I've seen people who have rewatched it (or watched it for the first time) echo a similar view. Meanwhile, season nine is my favorite season of the whole series, and season ten was pretty good overall too.

If you made it to season seven, I think it's worth pushing through season eight in order to see what comes after. The show gets a somewhat different vibe beginning with season nine and goes through some changes, and overall it feels refreshed, at least in my opinion.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Loving the atmosphere so far this season. I'm all aboard the Negan leaving Maggie to die train. I don't want a watered-down Negan with a predictable redemption arc.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Ep.4:
Uhh...So we are pretty much dealing with another cult in disguise?
They are on some cultish Lord of Light shit from GoT lol...
I really want to know how or if they will tie them with the Commonwealth conflict and maybe that CRM group that took Rick away?
Also at the beginning of the episode, why the hell did Daryl chucked his crossbow at one of the Reaper instead of shooting him?? That was a really weird move there.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not really.
Even a really good season it has had recently is just good in the context of The Walking Dead.

It so drawn out and contrived,
feels like there's no purpose or endpoint anymore
Characters dropping out left and right
Antagonists are laughable(whisperers were really interesting for like an episode or 2, then feel contrived and stupid for what felt like hundreds of episodes)
Newest villains look like a damn gang from TMNT or something

Honestly every major plot point going way back feels like the writers picked the wrong fork in the road each and every time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
So, episode 5

The season has been decent thus far but I feel like they're somewhat mishandling The Commonwealth. It should be presented to the audience as a big fucking deal, but it feels to me like they're seriously underplaying it. The season premiere (or the second half of the two part premiere) should have been focused entirely on The Commonwealth - all of Eugene, Yumiko, etc's scenes so far this season collected in the one episode.

Let the audience feel the magnitude of what the Commonwealth is by spending a whole episode there. A city with a population of 50k? With pro sports teams and bands and cake shops and whatnot? That's a seismic shift for the world of The Walking Dead and a really important set up for the final season and yet they only gave us glimpses of all that in episode 5 - in between the usual scenes of Maggie and Negan bickering as well as Carol and Aaron combing through the wreckage of Hilltop. The other scenes diluted the impact that The Commonwealth scenes should have had.

I get that they're trying to build a contrast between the crumbling world of Alexandria and the prosperous world of The Commonwealth but first The Commonwealth needed its own introduction episode to really get the audience acclimated to the new world order.

The Commonwealth just feels underwhelming so far when it really should have been the big mic drop moment of the final season. It doesn't help that it feels very small right now. I generally roll my eyes at all the tired and misguided budget complaints that the show has accrued over the years, but when they panned out to show the larger Commonwealth area (it wasn't meant to be the whole city, to be sure, but that shot was still trying to convey a "hey audience, look at this!" moment) and it looked like it could have been Woodbury instead...yeah they needed a bigger budget for that establishing shot.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So, episode 5

The season has been decent thus far but I feel like they're somewhat mishandling The Commonwealth. It should be presented to the audience as a big fucking deal, but it feels to me like they're seriously underplaying it. The season premiere (or the second half of the two part premiere) should have been focused entirely on The Commonwealth - all of Eugene, Yumiko, etc's scenes so far this season collected in the one episode.

Let the audience feel the magnitude of what the Commonwealth is by spending a whole episode there. A city with a population of 50k? With pro sports teams and bands and cake shops and whatnot? That's a seismic shift for the world of The Walking Dead and a really important set up for the final season and yet they only gave us glimpses of all that in episode 5 - in between the usual scenes of Maggie and Negan bickering as well as Carol and Aaron combing through the wreckage of Hilltop. The other scenes diluted the impact that The Commonwealth scenes should have had.

I get that they're trying to build a contrast between the crumbling world of Alexandria and the prosperous world of The Commonwealth but first The Commonwealth needed its own introduction episode to really get the audience acclimated to the new world order.

The Commonwealth just feels underwhelming so far when it really should have been the big mic drop moment of the final season. It doesn't help that it feels very small right now. I generally roll my eyes at all the tired and misguided budget complaints that the show has accrued over the years, but when they panned out to show the larger Commonwealth area (it wasn't meant to be the whole city, to be sure, but that shot was still trying to convey a "hey audience, look at this!" moment) and it looked like it could have been Woodbury instead...yeah they needed a bigger budget for that establishing shot.

Also

What's the deal with Stephanie? Are they trying to do some fake out thing?