• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What does that even mean? Lol Such a weird distinction.
Yeah, really odd wording. I guess the extra episodes are just going to be minor standalone episodes that have no real bearing on the story at large. Hell, could just be made mostly from archival footage or something. Who knows.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They made it seem like these will just be new episodes. Angela Kang said the writers room were working fine remotely so they probably were able to write the extra stuff and not be behind.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Yeah, I appreciate the six extra episodes, but it's kinda weird they're still season 10 and not season 11 proper. I mean, they're still new episodes, so how come they were able to produce those but not the Season 11 ones? I'm guessing these extra episodes will be side stories to Season 10 and have very limited production (Limited scenarios, selected actors per episode, and very little action scenes).

As for Season 11 proper, I'm guessing it won't be until late 2021.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
www.insider.com

'The Walking Dead' will air 6 bonus episodes starting February 2021. Here's everything we know.

First announced in July, here's a roundup of everything we know about the additional six "TWD" episodes that are coming in 2021.

What does that mean? Will we get a shorter episode run for season 11?

No.

An AMC representative confirmed to Insider these will new, extra, live-action episodes will have no impact on episode count for season 11. Nothing will replace the show's season 10 finale. These additional episodes will just extend season 10.

Yeah, these sound like side-stories to me. Not a bad thing though. Should be fun to see.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Season 11 is delayed but season 10 gets 6 new episodes? What? Filler? Shot over Zoom? Makes no sense.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh. Scott Gimple says if he could do a pre-apocalypse series for a character, he'd choose to focus it on Glenn. o: Not gonna happen, but that would be cool.

They're also looking into telling early-apocalypse stories for some of the characters in some way.

Season 11 is delayed but season 10 gets 6 new episodes? What? Filler? Shot over Zoom? Makes no sense.
Probably just filler shot with limited people on set, using the existing sets from season ten.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017

@TheWalkingDead said:
Before we wrap, Scott Gimple teases the final 5 minutes of #TheWalkingDead Season 10 Finale will take us to a whole different place! #ComicConAtHome

Are we finally seeing the Commonwealth?

End the main series already. My God.
no

EDIT: To be less dismissive: the last few seasons have proven the show still has life left in it. There's no reason to end it.

Oct 27, 2017
no

EDIT: To be less dismissive: the last few seasons have proven the show still has life left in it. There's no reason to end it.

Season 9 was pretty good. Season 10 was a 2/10 for me. With Danai gone I don't have any reason to watch as there simply aren't good enough actors to carry what is, IMO, bad writing.

But yeah, I fully expect AMC to milk it forever. In 2100 it will still be going lol.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
- Them clustering the S10 finale together with both World Beyond and Fear S6 is baffling. It would have made far more sense to air Fear S6 this summer and save World Beyond and the 10 finale for the fall. NOS4A2 could have used the Fear boost and I'm sure Soulmates could have benefited from having a World Beyond lead in as well.

- Fear adopting more of an anthology structure is...whatever. Structure is the least of that show's problems.

- 6 extra episodes for S10 (but not really because episode 16 is still the finale...?) is interesting. I'm curious to know what these episodes are. I seriously doubt they had 6 episodes worth of material on the cutting room floor that they were able to stitch together, so they must be something that they either already filmed (for another project) or are intending to film soon. Given that we already have a good idea of how S10 will end (based on the comics), I'm not sure what they could do for this. Maybe they'll focus on Maggie's journey over the last few years?

- We already knew about the possible single character spin off idea (they floated doing one centered on Michonne's journey to find Rick), though I think this is the first time we're hearing that they're looking to set them during the onset of the apocalypse. I'm not a huge fan of the idea. Maybe they could do one following Andrea and her sister? Maybe (don't laugh) T-Dog? I guess they could do one about Negan...I don't know. None of those really seem all that appealing to me. I think the time for following existing or past characters at the beginning of the apocalypse has long since passed. If they're gonna do another "In the beginning..." series, I'd rather they focus on original characters.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I just saw they'll add 6 extra episodes to season 10. I wonder if I'll get them with the iTunes Season Pass for S10, or if they'll be bundled separately.

Also, I'm not a fan of having a lot of spinoff shows gravitating around the main one. I hope they won't split the story too much. Fear the Waling Dead was already annoying...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My main gripe with the extra episodes and spin-off talks is that there's already so much filler as is. We've had entire seasons where only Ep.1, 8, 9 and 16 had something happen, half of it were deaths for shock and not meaningful additions to the story. The last seasons were better in this regard but there were still so many episodes that had the story crawl to a halt. Fleshing out the characters is important, but TWD has a bad habit of giving a backstory to a secondary character right in the episode he/she will do something important, or even more likely the episode of their death. Now they want to make 6 "extra" episodes in which the story does not move forward? Single episodes that dig into the background of people we probably don't care about a whole lot (all the barely named secondary characters or punchable folks like Eugene) or we already got plenty of backstory for already (Darryll or Michonne)?

It feels like they just want to pump up the numbers. As it is they already don't quite have enough material for 16 episodes per year. Making that 22-30 and adding yet another spin-off is not something the show needs. This isn't to say this content can't be good, but before working on spin-offs expanding the story they should... you know, have the actual main show progress with it. We can't have a stallmate between the good guys and the main villain for 2-3 seasons every single time.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
There's already a thread for today's news, but figured I'd share it here too. The show is ending after season 11. :(

www.ign.com

The Walking Dead Is Ending After Season 11, But Daryl and Carol Are Getting a Spinoff - IGN

The Walking Dead is officially ending after Season 11, but AMC is developing a Daryl and Carol spinoff series, and a standalone anthology to keep the dead walking.
  • Season 11 will have 24 episodes instead of the standard 16. It will begin airing next year, and will conclude the series in 2022
  • In 2023, a new series will premiere, starring Norman Reedus and Melissa McBride. The showrunner is Angela Kang
  • AMC is also working on a new anthology series called Tales of the Walking Dead, with standalone episodes (or arcs) focused on new and/or existing characters

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not crying, you're crying. :^(

EDIT: Finally got the Skybound article to load.

article said:
THE WALKING DEAD, cable's most popular show, based on Robert Kirkman's best-selling comic, will come to a close in 2022 with a 24-episode eleventh and final season. Chief Content Officer Scott Gimple said in a press release, "It's been ten years gone bye; what lies ahead are two more to come and stories and stories to tell beyond that. What's clear is that this show has been about the living, made by a passionate cast, team of writer/producers, producers, and crew, bringing to life the vision put forth by Robert Kirkman in his brilliant comic — and supported by the best fans in the world." He added, "This will be a grand finale that will lead to new premieres. Evolution is upon us. THE WALKING DEAD lives."

Although this marks the end of the first series, THE WALKING DEAD universe is far from over. Starting in 2023, Walking Dead Showrunner Angela Kang will return with Scott Gimple to helm a spin-off series centered around Norman Reedus' Daryl Dixon and Melissa McBride's Carol Peletier. According to the press release, "AMC is also working with Gimple to develop a new 'Tales of the Walking Dead' series, an episodic anthology with individual episodes or arcs of episodes focused on new or existing characters, backstories or other stand-alone experiences. The company, working closely with Gimple, is also developing a number of other new and innovative projects grounded in The Walking Dead universe."

THE WALKING DEAD will air its Season 10 Finale on Sunday, October 4th at 9pm followed by the series premiere of THE WALKING DEAD: WORLD BEYOND at 10pm. FEAR THE WALKING DEAD will begin airing part of its sixth season starting the following Sunday, October 11th. Read the full press release below and let us know in the comments how YOU'RE reacting to this massive announcement.

press release said:
NEW YORK, NY – September 9, 2020 – AMC announced today that its groundbreaking series, "The Walking Dead," which made history as the highest-rated series in the history of cable television and has given life to a vibrant and expanding content universe, will end with an expanded two-year eleventh season that will span 24 episodes. With the previously announced six extra season 10 episodes scheduled for early next year, there are 30 remaining episodes of the flagship series that will run through late 2022.

As "The Walking Dead" universe continues to expand, the original series will be followed by a greenlit spin-off focused on the popular Daryl Dixon (Norman Reedus) and Carol Peletier (Melissa McBride) characters, which will premiere in 2023 and be run by current "The Walking Dead" showrunner Angela Kang, who co-created the series with Scott M. Gimple, chief content officer of "The Walking Dead" Universe. AMC is also working with Gimple to develop a new "Tales of the Walking Dead" series, an episodic anthology with individual episodes or arcs of episodes focused on new or existing characters, backstories or other stand-alone experiences. The company, working closely with Gimple, is also developing a number of other new and innovative projects grounded in "The Walking Dead" universe.

"It's been ten years gone bye; what lies ahead are two more to come and stories and stories to tell beyond that," said Gimple. "What's clear is that this show has been about the living, made by a passionate cast, team of writer/producers, producers, and crew, bringing to life the vision put forth by Robert Kirkman in his brilliant comic — and supported by the best fans in the world. We have a lot of thrilling story left to tell on TWD, and then, this end will be a beginning of more Walking Dead — brand new stories and characters, familiar faces and places, new voices, and new mythologies. This will be a grand finale that will lead to new premieres. Evolution is upon us. 'The Walking Dead' lives."

"I look forward to digging in with our brilliant writers, producers, directors, cast and crew to bring this epic final chapter of Robert Kirkman's story to life for our fans over the next two years," said Kang. "'The Walking Dead' flagship series has been my creative home for a decade and so it's bittersweet to bring it to an end, but I could not be more excited to be working with Scott Gimple and AMC to develop a new series for Daryl and Carol. Working with Norman Reedus and Melissa McBride has been a highlight of my career and I'm thrilled that we get to keep telling stories together."

"'The Walking Dead' made television history, and is one of those rare creative works that has given life to an entire content universe that is still in the early stages of growing and entertaining both new and established fans," said Ed Carroll, chief operating officer of AMC Networks. "We can't wait to bring viewers this expanded final season of 'The Walking Dead' over the next two years, and launch the fourth series in the history of the franchise, focused on the beloved Daryl and Carol characters, with the incredibly talented Norman Reedus, Melissa McBride, Angela Kang and Scott M. Gimple. There really is so much 'walking' ahead, in a number of very exciting directions, for this extraordinary creative universe we call 'The Walking Dead.'"

"The Walking Dead" premiered on Halloween night in 2010 as the #1 cable series launch of all time, later surpassed by other AMC series "Fear the Walking Dead," "Better Call Saul" and "Into the Badlands," and is the most-watched series in cable history. It was also the first cable series to become the #1 show in all of television, including broadcast, a rank it held for five consecutive years. In its current 10th season, "The Walking Dead" remains the #1 series on basic cable for the 11th consecutive year. All of the top 73 cable entertainment telecasts for the past decade have been airings of "The Walking Dead."

The series has also given life to a vibrant and expanding content universe that currently includes "Talking Dead;" "Fear the Walking Dead," returning for its fifth season on October 11; "The Walking Dead: World Beyond," a new series about the first generation raised in the apocalypse, debuting October 4; a feature film being produced by Universal and Skybound, alongside AMC, focused on the Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) character; a new spinoff planned for 2023 focused on the popular Daryl (Norman Reedus) and Carol (Melissa McBride) characters; and the new "Tales of the Walking Dead" episodic anthology series. In addition to the AMC linear network and owned platforms like AMC+ and AMC's digital platforms, "The Walking Dead" Universe content have migrated to become focal points of an expanding array of ad-supported video on demand (AVOD) platforms, streaming services, in addition to robust international distribution.

AMC continues to develop new content rooted in the unique and entertaining world of "The Walking Dead," one of the most powerful franchises in the history of television, which currently has more than 50 million social followers and fans across Facebook,

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying for years that the main show would most likely end at the same point as the comic. I just didn't see them going beyond that, stretching the show out indefinitely until finally putting it out of its misery in season 39 with only 400 viewers left. There's a little under two full seasons worth of TWD left (the season 10 finale, 6 bonus episodes of S10, and 24 in S11 - that's 31, 1 less than two 16 episode seasons), which is about what I expected once I saw how quickly the show was moving through comic material last year.

Still, it's nice to have confirmation and knowing for sure that they're building towards an ending should help the show keep its momentum going.

- The Daryl and Carol spin off (with Angela Kang as showrunner!) is interesting. I have to assume that if the show ends where the comic does,
this will be set before the time jump. I can't imagine they'd do an entire series of Old Daryl and Old Carol that takes place like 20 years later. And this should be a proper spin off - have them leave all the other characters and locations behind and go on a journey, perhaps connecting it to the Rick movies. A 'Power Book II: Ghost' style spin off where it's literally just season 12 of the main show would be lame. If they're going to continue the main show's timeline, it should 100% be as a western starring an adult Judith.

- Tales from The Walking Dead. First, I like the name. Second, I much prefer the idea of one anthology series over them doing a variety of self contained miniseries (eg, The Walking Dead: Rise of the T-Dog, The Walking Dead Andrea: The Early Years, etc). Hopefully they don't rely too heavily on established characters though.

- Given that we know the end dates for World Beyond and the main show, I'm somewhat surprised they didn't also announce an end for Fear. I doubt we'll be lucky enough for S6 to be its last, and the ratings (even though S6 will naturally be down from S5) will still be good enough to warrant a few more seasons after that, so it'll be interesting to see what they end up doing with it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Did Corona fucked up all the WD plans? I thought when they took Rick out the plan was always to make his 3 TV movies, but then bringing him back in the end and let the end of the third movie go smoothly into one of the next, or the then last season of Walking Dead.

That's what I thought at least. Will they even have one of them ready before the series ends now???

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Did Corona fucked up all the WD plans? I thought when they took Rick out the plan was always to make his 3 TV movies, but then bringing him back in the end and let the end of the third movie go smoothly into one of the next, or the then last season of Walking Dead.

That's what I thought at least. Will they even have one of them ready before the series ends now???

Corona delayed the S10 finale and gave us 6 extra episodes in S10. It also delayed S11 until 2021. That's it though.

The Rick movies are big budget theatrical films and they haven't said whether they'll connect directly to the series or not. That was just speculation.

dustyherb

Oct 25, 2017
CO
The Alien, Here's Negan, and
Negan lives
would all be awesome to see. If they do Here's Negan hopefully they expand on it a little, get Steven Ogg back as Simon, and show Negan's first days as leader of the Sanctuary. I would really love if they adapt Rise of The Governor as well.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Crazy the show will have a 12 year run.

Regardless of how people feel about the show and how opinions soured as time went on I still think it's an incredible show that had some lows but countered with some of the best highs around, too. It obviously couldn't go on forever and I'm glad they are ending it where the comic ended instead of trying to further pad it with no source material which could have been disastrous. Still, I'm going to be sad once it's over. Any show you invest 12 fucking years into will make you sad when it's over.

The brand isn't going anywhere, though. There are so many spin-offs now and in the future it makes my head spin. As long as the quality is high I am all for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
From the other thread:

The six [extra] episodes [of season 10] will show us what was going on in Maggie's side of the world leading up to her returning to help her old group, providing backstory and context to her arrival. Cohan also made it clear that she was back for the long-haul, which means the nearly 30 episodes remaining on The Walking Dead. She also hinted to possibly being back in spinoffs.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Still glad that they're dedicating the six extra episodes to Maggie. I'm excited for her returning.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for more Maggie, especially with finding out what she's been doing and how she gets back to the group.

The Walking Dead S10 E16 - A Certain Doom - Thursday on AMC+, Sunday on AMC
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
kxvxwjm.jpg

The Extended Opening Minutes of Season 10, Episode 16 (spoilers)

In the episode, "A Certain Doom," Beta engages the final battle of the Whisperer War.

The episode will debut early this Thursday on AMC+ and air normally Sunday October 4

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I guess we are pretty much going into October now, huh?

Excited to watch the episode on Thursday! Really happy that TWD is back.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to finally see how they cap the original vision for the season off. That said, I'm much more excited to see those additional Maggie episodes for the season.