• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly surprised they got Tails' VA for this. Wonder if she was the first choice, or if some deal with another celebrity fell through.

Either way good for Colleen šŸ˜„
She was the post credits voice for tails in the first movie, so I'd like to think that atleast 1 exec has their head screwed in right.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not that celebrities weren't cast in animated movies before, but you can put a lot of blame on Disney casting Robin Williams as the Genie. After that, look at how many animated movies started throwing big names on a poster, or needed a big celebrity hook.

The studio doing the Mario movie is the same studio behind stuff like SING, and regardless of the quality of the movie, look at how much of their marketing is "LOOK AT ALL THESE CELEBRITIES YOU KNOW!!!"

This is the first poster for the Mario Movie.

Mario_Movie_Teaser_Poster.jpg

The word "Mario" isn't even on the first poster for the Mario Movie. If you have no idea what the question block was for some reason. Good luck guessing what this film is with the only thing you know about it being that Chris Pratt was in it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This is the first poster for the Mario Movie.

Mario_Movie_Teaser_Poster.jpg

The word Mario isn't even on the first poster for the Mario Movie. If you have no idea what the question block was for some reason. Good luck guessing what this film is with the only thing you know about it being that Chris Pratt was in it.
I'll atleast give it to them that the Question Block is a pretty iconic pop culture staple, well outside of games.

Remember the first teaser for Venom? With zero finished effects shots or overt mention of the symbiote or anything, and then it ends with just the letter 'V'? Not even the word Venom. Just 'V'. Oh and then a graphic design kinda resembling Venom's face appears, but again, if you aren't into comicbook shit, wtf is that supposed to do for you? "Oh that V movie looked very interesting..."

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't an official announcement.

i really would've liked if the thread title hadn't spoiled this.

Sep 5, 2021
cool

Ben Shwartz does enough smalelr stuff that I can't really consider him a celebrity VA (he's Dewey in Ducktales!)

so that leaves Idris Ela as Knuckles which I could work with since Elba is cool

He wasn't chosen because he was a celebrity, in fact it was practically luck:

The actor, who played Jean-Ralphio on "Parks and Recreation," initially became attached to the film when director Jeff Fowler and producer Tim Miller asked him to lend his voice to Sonic in a test reading as they pitched the movie to studios.

"It was the quickest 'yes' in the universe," Schwartz said. "Then I got lucky enough that they loved my voice so much that I guess it didn't matter that there were probably more famous people out there that wanted to play the role. They just liked my performance so much that they let me keep doing it."

web.archive.org

Times Telegram

Ben Schwartz was up to speed on Sonic the Hedgehog long before he voiced the lightning-quick character in a new movie. The comedian grew up playing the

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is great, but I think it works better than two hours of Martinet doing the Mario voice would.

Jul 1, 2020
This is great, but I think it works better than two hours of Martinet doing the Mario voice would.
Hearing Charles Martinet speaking in his Mario and Luigi voice in complete sentences sounds very strange to me and I don't know why. He used to do it on Instagram all the time with Mario and Luigi figures and then it just stopped one day.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Hell yes!!! I'm not even a Sonic fan but I hate how voice actors get snubbed by Hollywood. Wonderful news.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Hearing Charles Martinet speaking in his Mario and Luigi voice in complete sentences sounds very strange to me and I don't know why. He used to do it on Instagram all the time with Mario and Luigi figures and then it just stopped one day.

It's possible he stopped because it's a grey area in regards to VA contracts when they voice their characters outside of work. The IP holders don't like it. It partly makes sense because if I were Nintendo I'd blow a gasket were there voice clips of Mario making crude jokes floating around. (Not that that was what Martinet was doing)

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Not that celebrities weren't cast in animated movies before, but you can put a lot of blame on Disney casting Robin Williams as the Genie. After that, look at how many animated movies started throwing big names on a poster, or needed a big celebrity hook.

The studio doing the Mario movie is the same studio behind stuff like SING, and regardless of the quality of the movie, look at how much of their marketing is "LOOK AT ALL THESE CELEBRITIES YOU KNOW!!!"
Which Williams never wanted either. He loved animation and respected professional VAs, he had it in his deal that he not be used in more than a quarter of advertising or merchandise for the film. Which they of course promptly broke.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm happy for everyone who is happy about this and especially for the VA being cast to do VA for a character they do VA for.

But I wish Tails was mute.