• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
For people concentrating on the money, Vince completely destroyed his reputation in the sports world.

The people he fucked over are not just some random sports guys.

Vince basically fucked himself to ever doing anything outside of wrestling again in his lifetime with the people he fucked over. And considering his age, he knows it doesn't matter for him, just his company and family...

Plus the money he lost in the league, and the money he will lose in lawsuits
Yeah, i didn't know the dude came from the NCAA to run that shit. Them dudes run in very small circles. Vince pretty much shut himself out of bigger sports and will be working with carnies forever

OP
OP
DMczaf

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah, i didn't know the dude came from the NCAA to run that shit. Them dudes run in very small circles. Vince pretty much shut himself out of bigger sports and will be working with carnies forever

Like Meltzer said in his podcast, this really reveals who Vince is.

This is the equivalent of screwing over the mob just because it financially benefits you in the short term

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like Meltzer said in his podcast, this really reveals who Vince is.

This is the equivalent of screwing over the mob just because it financially benefits you in the short term
Oliver Luck should have known what he was like, though I guess he just assumed that he was too important to get fucked over and that Vince would just fuck over the lower-ranked people instead.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Even if he's his own creditor, who knows where he ranks on the priority list in terms of paying people back. Not sure about the rules in that specific jurisdiction, but he may not be in line ahead of the government and the employees.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Oliver Luck should have known what he was like, though I guess he just assumed that he was too important to get fucked over and that Vince would just fuck over the lower-ranked people instead.
I bet Luck's thinking, was being a big fish in a little pond instead of a little fish in a big pond.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Is WWE publically traded? Playing loose with the books seems like something shareholders should be mad about

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like how Eddie Lampert had Sears sell all the land their stores were built to a holding company, then charged them rent. Then when all the Sears closed down, that management company now can sell off the land.

I mean... he lost 44 mil. But most of us aren't thinking "Oh, Vince made a mistake". We're thinking Vince is a scumbag who fucked the players, the coaches, the league president, and all of the other creditors out of millions.
I know Sears is a joke now, but they certainly could've rebounded a bit with more competent leadership. How was that guy allowed to lead them for so long.

These two along with our president really show that a lot of people like trusting people who don't have their best interests in mind.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was. I didn't really watch it but it was getting some promotion, on legit channels and people were talking about it. It was doomed from the start and COVID just sped up the process.

While the level of talent was a mixed bag, the rules changes were almost all positive, and he made a decision to give the games away essentially for free to be on channels like ABC, FOX, ESPN (ie, big boys people watch), instead of making money by having the games on channels that no one watches (like Bein Sports, CBS Sports, etc- what the AAF did), with the idea of losing money for a few years and getting either a streaming or TV deal worth real money. COVID throws a giant monkey wrench into this- we have no idea what the media landscape is going to look like in 3 months, much less 3 years now, and he realized that it was unlikely his plan was going to work, so he pulled the plug as early as possible.

For people concentrating on the money, Vince completely destroyed his reputation in the sports world.

The people he fucked over are not just some random sports guys.

Vince basically fucked himself to ever doing anything outside of wrestling again in his lifetime with the people he fucked over. And considering his age, he knows it doesn't matter for him, just his company and family...

Plus the money he lost in the league, and the money he will lose in lawsuits
Vince is 75 years old, doesn't sleep, and has decades of steroid abuse on his body. I don't think that he would even think to try something like this again even if he came out looking like a saint in all this.

Is WWE publically traded? Playing loose with the books seems like something shareholders should be mad about

For over a decade, they have been able to get away with lying about their attendance numbers to investors by stating that attendance numbers are part of the "entertainment portion" of their business. Investors don't care, they just care about their dividends and profits.

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

The move to shave the payroll last week in an effort to protect their profit margin was probably a way to placate shareholders about the XFL boondoggle. On top of WWE being a shareholder in XFL, Vince turned down a reported $50 million to sell the XFL rights to Charlie Ebersol, son of Dick Ebersol who was partners with Vince in the original season of XFL.

Also, Vince and family own an overwhelming majority of the shares in WWE, so it really does not matter because they control the Board. Vince's shares gives him 83% of the Board's voting power.

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Also fun to point out that Vince fired WWE's two co-presidents earlier this year. These were two long time executives that were at the helm of the most stable and profitable time in the company's history.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like something Vince would do. I know WWE contracts basically stop wrestlers from leaving the company, but the WWE can let them go at the drop of a hat.
Not only that, they add time onto wrestlers contracts if they received an injury or try to quit. They're a trash company.

Though I think AEW fans running into the thread to promote their favourite carny promotion is pretty blurgh. Just because they aren't absolute trash like WWE doesn't mean they aren't carny as fuck. They're still running shows during a fucking pandemic, putting their workers at risk just to tape shows in empty arenas.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Out 44 million while wwe is still set to make record breaking profits this year even with a pandemic happening. Still fired 20 on screen talent with who knows how many were laid off behind the camera.

Fuck Vince McMahon

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Add it to the list.

Fuck Vince. Really wish people would stop giving WWE ratings and/or money especially when there's far superior options for wrestling out there.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before.

I'll say it again.

Support a wrestling promotion made by someone that gives a shit.

and the guy who bankrolls AEW also is a Trump donor

both billionaire republicans

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Even if he's his own creditor, who knows where he ranks on the priority list in terms of paying people back. Not sure about the rules in that specific jurisdiction, but he may not be in line ahead of the government and the employees.
Normally in bankruptcy unless the things are explicitly said differently, biggest debtors go first. Vince made himself the biggest debtor to be the first one to get pickings.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Vince McMahon is garbage

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Brilliant move by Vince actually.

This league was a complete disaster in 2001 I don't know why anyone involved thought it would work this time. Vince is POS but I don't think he cares about his reputation at all.

That's all Vince has ever cared about. It's why he restarted the XFL in the first place.

Vince's dream has always been to be perceived as more than just a wrestling carny owner. He wants to be seen as a legitimate and successful entertainment and sports mogul. Problem is, Vince is the biggest carny of them all.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think Vince shut it down because there is a very real chance the NFL runs a shortened Spring season if they can't make Fall and that would have killed any chance he had for a rebound season.

And he did it in the slimiest way possible

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
He just said he supports Trump on the economy a few months ago.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-...n-economy-not-on-social-issues-194957687.html

It's hard to say if he's still an outright Trump supporter based on the article. Sounds like the rich being happy they're getting richer, but doesn't support Trump on his social policies. That part is what I was referring to when talking about Khan since he made statements against Trump back in 2017 when NFL players were kneeling and the horrible immigration issues.

I'm not trying to make AEW sound like they are run by saints, but Khan is far from being the shitstain Vince has been.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MAGA/Republican Cody
Pro Hogan Young Bucks
Trump Jr. on Jericho Podcast
Shitbag Hager

Stop trying to make AEW some sort of holy wrestling company. They aren't.

it's sad how some people just purposely ignore all these things and get defensive when these FACTS are even brought up

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't there room for another national professional American football division?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Screwed it up? That's fucking brilliant. 44 million is a lot of money, but could have been MUCH worse. You couldn't buy a hockey team for 44 million much less a whole league.

Vince did, at least, pay the players.
Doesn't absolve him of not paying everyone else

Setting up morally and questionably legal loopholes does not make you brilliant, it just makes you a swindler who will do anything it takes to make sure everything goes your way at the expense of everyone else.

Vince ain't going to see any investors for anything outside of the WWE ever again after this.

By this logic Donald Trump is brilliant for being a prolific con man and someone who constantly stiffs people on money owed to them.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Why isn't there room for another national professional American football division?

Talent gap is massive. Most players are paid better and in a better position on an NFL practice squad. Game shape is hard to maintain so being out of the NFL for 2-3 seasons will destroy your game shape