• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018
Probably refers to this

the-rock-v-doom.PNG

What is doom twitter trying to say here?

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I wouldn't consider Pokemon strictly a video game IP. The anime is also huge and has been around for 22 years.

Also, last time I checked the Metacritic score was poor and on par with the abysmal Tomb Raider 2018 movie.
This is like saying you dont consider Super Mario strictly a video game IP.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The new Tomb Raider was already a decent blockbuster.

Alicia Vikander really drove that film. It deserves better scores than it got.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a disappointing result still, on RT it only has a 6.2 critic average. That's middling at best. But I guess that's a good result for a video game adaptation compared to what came before.

Probably shouldn't count your chickens yet though, until more reviews show up. Top critics have it at 29%. :P

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
I've always liked Mortal Kombat. Good old-fashioned kung fu flick. Not a bad adaptation of its source material at all.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The movie sounds all right, sure, but most of the reviews suggest the story is very average. And I'm not really all that surprised?

By the sound of things, it'll at least be fun watching Ryachu and the other Pokémon interacting with the world.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I've never played Ace Attorney but I'm gonna watch the shit out of that.
It's a mid-tier Miike film (meaning: weird experiment that didn't completely pan out but is still fascinating) but it's hilarious.
What makes it such an oddity is that it is ULTRA FAITHFUL to the first game. And that game is like 20 hours long, maybe more. So they compressed so much into those two hours. It's Information Overload: The Movie. And it's kind of impressive just for that fact. They just refused to cut anything, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Sonic alone is kind of proving this thread wrong no? Even if they fix Sonic's design, everything about that trailer shows how out of touch Hollywood is with video game properties. When we are getting video game movies with the frequency and quality of comic book movies, then the curse will truly be broken.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
It's sitting at 49 based on 16 critics on metacritic which isn't that impressive. Also why are we still using rotten tomatoes' metrics which don't actually refer to how high the scores are but how many of those scores make past a certain point.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Silent hill? I, at least, enjoyed that one in a way that isn't just because of fanservice. Hopefully Pokémon is just as good if not better.

Edit: It turns out I thought Silent hill was received better than it actually was. But whatever, I still like it.
Silent Hill was good, your eyes did not deceive you, in fact the only bad things about it were the fanservice and exposition dump at the end.

However it was an art house horror film, video game connection or not it was never going to be received well critically.

Nov 13, 2017

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a mid-tier Miike film (meaning: weird experiment that didn't completely pan out but is still fascinating) but it's hilarious.
What makes it such an oddity is that it is ULTRA FAITHFUL to the first game. And that game is like 20 hours long, maybe more. So they compressed so much into those two hours. It's Information Overload: The Movie. And it's kind of impressive just for that fact. They just refused to cut anything, lol.

That sounds hilarious.

I'll basically watch anything that man is involved in after seeing the first ten minutes of Gozu when I was off work with a particularly nasty fever.

"Yakuza attack dog" :D

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
But the video game movie curse has already been broken by Wreck it Ralph and Jumanji Into the Jungle...

They still count even if not being adaptations from a game...

Oh!

And how can I forget Infinity War? Clearly an adaptation of Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems for the SNES...😁

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I am talking artistically and how behaviour is conveyed through animation. The games have traditionally had pseudo 3D graphics and moving sprites at best. The anime was just a lot more expressive since the 90s and as a result give a lot of material to work with when you try to make live action.
Have you actually seen literally any footage of the Detective Pikachu game? This isn't a mainline game that's being adapted, it's a 3D visual novel which styles itself a lot like a recent CGI movie.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Mortal Kombat, Silent Hill, Resident Evil (AU from video game) happened.

Good that this movie is good!

Oct 25, 2017
That's still pretty low as far as RT scores go.

meanwhile it's a 50 on metacritic. deep yellow
71 is low on RT only if you're one those people who go "I only see 85 and up movies" or if this was a lower entry in a series that has been performing better.

I don't care what Pikachu ends up as, but I do have an issue with how people let these sites dictate the quality of movies before we've seen them. I mean, there are words and context behind those numbers. And not everyone is the same. I like some movies that are considered rotten, I dislike some movies that are considered fresh.

Just asking, do we really want to do this whole review thread debacle like we do for all video games for an entire week before it comes out. Is it worth it?