• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And they absolutely overpaid for Minecraft, but it was a way to spend their European earnings without having them taxed in the US.

I've just looked it up.
Microsoft bought Minecraft at around 50 million copies sold. It's now triple that at 176 million copies sold, and has surpassed Tetris to become the best-selling game of all time.

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think your claim holds up.

As an aside, I wonder if Microsoft would make a theoretical Minecraft 2 exclusive to Xbox and PC? There's a helluva lot of argument for and against them doing that.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've just looked it up.
Microsoft bought Minecraft at around 50 million copies sold. It's now triple that at 176 million copies sold, and has surpassed Tetris to become the best-selling game of all time.

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think your claim holds up.

As an aside, I wonder if Microsoft would make a theoretical Minecraft 2 exclusive to Xbox and PC? There's a helluva lot of argument for and against them doing that.

Never going to happen. Way too much to be made on Mobile alone.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This is just insane to me.

Microsoft just paid my guy a chunk of a AAA game's budget to stream himself playing video games.

Congrats to Ninja.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for Ninja!

What's up with ERA's money making shaming? Even in normal life, this place will try to make you feel bad if you make 50K+...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Microsoft just paid my guy a chunk of a AAA game's budget to stream himself playing video games.

Congrats to Ninja.
In marketing and PR terms, it could be pretty cheap in the longrun. Still way too early to write the deal off or crown it as the deal of the century.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even if this guy becomes irrelevant thanks to moving to mixer he's already set for life if he's smart with this money. he was never gonna remain on top of the streaming world forever so its smart to cash out while you can.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
even if this guy becomes irrelevant thanks to moving to mixer he's already set for life if he's smart with this money. he was never gonna remain on top of the streaming world forever so its smart to cash out while you can.
Exactly. If all it does is grow the platform and draw more new-Ninja people to it, then it was a good deal for Ninja and MS.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Gaming is a big deal. And, if he goes back to his Halo roots, then it could be a wise marketing investment (although £50m is too much to be true, unless it is over a period of years).

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
In marketing and PR terms, it could be pretty cheap in the longrun. Still way too early to write the deal off or crown it as the deal of the century.

Also, even if it doesn't work out: What else were Mixer going to do. Buying out smaller streamers and original content creation haven't worked out so far, going for a big shot seems logical.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Good for Ninja.

Unfortunately I'm in my 30s so it's way too late for me to be successful at anything beyond a management role, and I'll just have to remain jealous at young people like Ninja making money from a hobby that I do for free and have never felt I should be paid for but somehow someone of a younger generation getting paid for it makes me salty.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Gaming is a big deal. And, if he goes back to his Halo roots, then it could be a wise marketing investment (although £50m is too much to be true, unless it is over a period of years).
It'd almost definitely be 50m over x amount of years, my baseless guess is 5. He made millions last year, so makes sense he'd negotiate to be making millions every year.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It will get Ninja's fan to watch him on Mixer yeah, but I'm not sure it will spark an exodus of popular streamers from Twitch, which I'm assuming is the long term goal.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It will get Ninja's fan to watch him on Mixer yeah, but I'm not sure it will spark an exodus of popular streamers from Twitch, which I'm assuming is the long term goal.
If I'm a big streamer and seeing this, I wouldn't touch the platform unless MS dumped a bag of money at my feet too, though there's pretty much zero chance any of the big streamers would go over without a deal anyway. More for the smaller streamers thinking hopefully I'll get big over there instead, because doing so on Twitch nowadays is extremely hard, hell, pretty much impossible.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If I'm a big streamer and seeing this, I wouldn't touch the platform unless MS dumped a bag of money at my feet too, though there's pretty much zero chance any of the big streamers would go over without a deal anyway.
I was actually also going to say but held off, that Microoft may have put themselves in an Epic Games Store situation, where they have to keep paying names to come over as a way to build the platform.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If I'm a big streamer and seeing this, I wouldn't touch the platform unless MS dumped a bag of money at my feet too, though there's pretty much zero chance any of the big streamers would go over without a deal anyway.
Agreed. Unless MS drops more cash on those bigger streamers, it will be a hard sell for them to move over. For smaller wannabe Ninja Streamers, Mixer currently has way less competition than Twitch does. Some people might make their name getting in at ground level, since its almost impossible to make a dent in Twitch with so many people doing exactly the same thing.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never going to happen. Way too much to be made on Mobile alone.

Ahh very true, I completely forgot about that.
I was thinking more along the lines of "everywhere but Sony platforms", but I reckon they'd be leaving a whole of money on the table if they did that as well, and that doesn't seem to be how Microsoft wants to operate.

Either way, this thread is about Mixer, it was just a side thought!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I was actually also going to say but held off, that Microoft may have put themselves in an Epic Games Store situation, where they have to keep paying names to come over as a way to build the platform.
I actually stealth edited in a response to this, but MS are probably looking at pulling some of the smaller streamers over as they probably have a better shot at getting viewers on Mixer than the extremely competitive Twitch. But yeah, I'd be shocked if any of the already successful streamers jumped ship without getting a deal first, just be extremely stupid really.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Well as one twitch streamer said, MS has been talking to other streamers and organizations to stream on Mixer. Ninja was a good start to get the general viewership be made aware of the platform.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever been bored with 65 million dollars tho

The thing is, money changes you...

A kid in high school says he will be happy with $100 allowance a week
A kid out of college says he will be happy landing a $60k job
A 35 yr old making $75k says he will be happy with his mortgage paid off
A guy with $500k in the bank and house paid off says he will be happy with $2M in the bank to retire with...
... once he has $2M, he ponders buying his dream car (Lambo/Ferrari) that he has wanted as a child..

etc

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I actually stealth edited in a response to this, but MS are probably looking at pulling some of the smaller streamers over as they probably have a better shot at getting viewers on Mixer than the extremely competitive Twitch. But yeah, I'd be shocked if any of the already successful streamers jumped ship without getting a deal first, just be extremely stupid really.
That would be the smart move, start grabbing lower tier streamers with dedicated fanbases.

A guy with $500k in the bank and house paid off says he will be happy with $2M in the bank to retire with...
... once he has $2M, he ponders buying his dream car (Lambo/Ferrari) that he has wanted as a child..

etc
I have to be honest with you. This is that "mo money, mo problems" talk, that us broke people consider straight up bullshit.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019

etc
Money changes weak people with materialistic ambitions. But in reality money is just a platform for these soul suckers to realize their ambitions. It doesn't change them.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it was a few hundred thousand dollars, I'm very jealous.

etc

lol

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Great for him and good for Microsoft if they believe it will help their future platform and streaming service to grow

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018

Congrats to Ninja.
Not really that insane if you think about how much companies like Microsoft spend in marketing campaigns, nowadays an influencer like Ninja gives you way more and better visibility than standard marketing, and they're willing to pay for that

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I think maybe they overestimated Ninja's value over Twitch's appeal to Ninja's viewership.
I don't think they made a smart investment here.