• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
That I think it's ridiculous someone got that kind of paycheck for streaming while playing games? I have a decent job where I work hard and I probably won't make anywhere near 50m in my lifetime, so yeah, it rubs me the wrong way.

I know I'm not the only one who finds it utterly absurd.

That and "a fool and his money."
If someone's making this much money, it's because someones making even more off them. That's why he got his check. That's why you get yours. It's why I get mine.

It's not literally, you play games, here's 50 mil.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Still though, for a streamer of all things. Then again, not exactly part of the target audience.

He got paid a million from EA to stream Apex on launch. The entire page was sponsored streams, and that game also exploded out of the gate with that basically being the marketing and it seems to have worked. The way streamers/streaming can impact this medium is still pretty unexplored, but reach and viewership is pretty much undeniable.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He got paid a million from EA to stream Apex on launch. The entire leg was sponsored streams, and that game also exploded out of the gate with that basically being the marketing and it seems to have worked. The way streamers/streaming can impact this medium is still pretty unexplored, but reach and viewership is pretty much undeniable.
I'm well aware.

noir

Dec 11, 2017
50 million dollars?! Who do they think they got, Chelsea Clinton?

giphy.gif

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What is is about streamers and YouTubers that just pulls this vitriolic bile out of poster? It not just an Era occurrence, and not just tied to big streamers. I remember a thread back on Neogaf back before Twitch had "talk show" and "just chatting" tags were some people streamed themselves eating dinner against a green screen, and people were livid that it wasn't gaming content. I think the dude proposed or something and people were still having none of it.

Whenever a video content creators come up as a topic for discussion, people just turn into the vilest of old men yelling at clouds.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
50 Million Dollar sounds like a conservative estimation for his Mixer exclusivity value within the influencer marketing range.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Ninja going from halo reach player who averaged under 1k views and making decent money doing so do global name is a crazy turn of events
I think this is a part of it that not many people are realizing. He's probably going to stream Halo Infinite more than anything else when it comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if he does a whole Halo campaign run before release as well.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
They have short careers but this isn't the reason. They get paid based on escalating market rates in whichever sport, not based on the length of their career.
Yes, and one of the reasons those market rates in the sport are large is because of the limited ability to play and expensive medical treatments of the players. To say that the money isn't based at all in any way on the length of their ability to work the career isn't looking at the whole picture.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
What is is about streamers and YouTubers that just pulls this vitriolic bile out of poster? It not just an Era occurrence, and not just tied to big streamers. I remember a thread back on Neogaf back before Twitch had "talk show" and "just chatting" tags were some people streamed themselves eating dinner against a green screen, and people were livid that it wasn't gaming content. I think the dude proposed or something and people were still having none of it.

Whenever a video content creators come up as a topic for discussion, people just turn into the vilest of old men yelling at clouds.

Bitterness and jealousy. Probably the same way their dads and granddads talked about ball players' salaries.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, was showing my friend him on mixer went from 50k viewers to 75k and got 11 kills in a victory, gotta admit, he put on a good show.

As a big ninja (not hater, but dislike-r), I give him props

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Jealousy I imagine.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
The $50m from Microsoft is one thing. That's how they've decided to spend their money to build their platform. It's the thought of kids still donating money to him that freaks me out.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds reasonable. When Conan moved to TBS almost a decade ago he was getting 10 million a year with around a million viewers tuning in. He gets a little more than that each year now with a third of the tv audience plus all his social media following.

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder what MS really thinks he worth, if they invested $50 million into him.

A lot of Mixer, xCloud and Game Pass shoutouts on stream every hour.

"Check out Halo Infinite on Game Pass or xCloud now!" Use the links on screen.

They'll probably have him run special promos for Game Pass using a code or something. $5 for your first month, cancel any time!

Imagine his 70,000+ viewers all signed up for it. He always did something similar with Twitch Prime.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and one of the reasons those market rates in the sport are large is because of the limited ability to play and expensive medical treatments of the players. To say that the money isn't based at all in any way on the length of their ability to work the career isn't looking at the whole picture.

Its not. It may be something some individual players take into account when they negotiate their own contracts, but as a whole, the collective bargaining agreements and the piece of the pie the players get is solely based on revenue. As revenue goes up, so do player salaries. It's got nothing to do with how long they play. In fact, of the three major american sports by revenue, the NBA, NFL and MLB, the NFL iirc has the lowest revenue split in favor of the players despite those players having a much shorter average career.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
There are 67K users watching Ninja on Mixer right now, so maybe MS knows something about this whole thing and figured out that the figure was paid was worth it.

And oh, the salt at his acquisition $ in this thread is amusing. If you all think he is a talentless wonk, go and start streaming. Now, personally I find it ridiculous that streaming and youtube personalities are so highly paid (alongside esports players), but that's just my early 40s age talking :).

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No, it's based on owners, broadcasters, and sports management making as much money as they can from the fans.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, another bigoted hack gets a large payday. Congrats. I should be happy for MS making such a smart acquisition to represent their platform, right?

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Is it just me or was the fact Microsoft had to pay a guy millions of dollars to exclusively stream on their platform which he would otherwise do on his own for far less money speak volumes of the popularity crisis of Mixer? Well, it could also speak volumes of Blevins' personality...

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish my parents didn't tell me there was no career in playing video games for the rest of my life.....

In all seriousness good for Ninja. It's pretty crazy how much money he can command today.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
imagine the amount of money they expect to make from this if they are paying this much...

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
It's more than that.

You should see Ninja as a marketing tool for MS, spending 50 million to push Mixer, Halo MCC on PC and Infinite is really "nothing".
Your average publishers spends the same amount for marketing or making one game, Shadow of The Tomb Raider ended up costing $75-100 million USD to SE + $35 million for marketing, that's a lot for a single game, if you put this in prospective you'll see that 50 million to push 3 MS products is not a lot.
For Ninja is a fuckton of money tho

MS getting Minecraft for 2.5b also seemed excessive and " too much", but it turned really well for MS and Minecraft, as a brand.

I'm more interested in what the fuck SE/CD/Eidos spent $135 million dollars on making Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja right now has damn hear 80k concurrent viewers, on Mixer. Long term this will be a good play for MS. We'll see how things settle after a month, but we'll also see who else moves over.

Also how the FUCK can you be upset about any of this? It's straight jealousy at this point. Has to be. For anyone saying he has no talent. Get on twitch right now. Get anywhere near the viewers he does, get anywhere near the reach he does and still be good at the game.

He's set for life no matter what at this point. He won't always be the best but he just secured his future. Can't hate on that.