• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Unfortunately there is nothing truly exciting about Xbox currently. I loved the first generation back in the early 2000's and then the 360 but at the latter end of that gen their games just don't do it for me.

Gamepass is cool but I'm still wary of the long term vision and what it will bring to gaming. It looks great now but down the road I'm not so sure.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think MS can afford to allow Xbox to be weaker, even if by a very small margin. Even if it's a 1% disadvantage to PS5 it will be a PR disaster for Xbox...again. I think Phil is well aware of this and isn't going to let it happen.
1% oh noes

you know how much you'd lose per frame with a 1% difference on a 4K screen? about 60,000 pixels per frame

or about 10 pixels of vertical height

or about 2.5 mm of vertical height on a 40" TV

Unfortunately there is nothing truly exciting about Xbox currently. I loved the first generation back in the early 2000's and then the 360 but at the latter end of that gen their games just don't do it for me.

Gamepass is cool but I'm still wary of the long term vision and what it will bring to gaming. It looks great now but down the road I'm not so sure.

there's nothing truly exciting only if you don't like games. full stop.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Drive-by post, history of platform warring
Looks like they haven't learnt a single thing.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
1% oh noes

you know how much you'd lose per frame with a 1% difference on a 4K screen? about 60,000 pixels per frame

or about 10 pixels of vertical height

or about 2.5 mm of vertical height on a 40" TV

there's nothing truly exciting only if you don't like games. full stop.

If it is 1% they will play at the same definition and PS5 will have a 0.3 frame per second advantage against Xbox Scarlett and 0.6 frame per second at 60 fps. People need to think. All site like Digitalfoundry, NXGamer and VGTech will say the same thing negligible difference event if it is 5 or 7%( 1 to 3 frame per second difference max).

Currently, advantage Xbox for the services and advantage Sony for the games imo* and it seems commercially and critically this is the same.

* Not true for a Halo, Gears, Forza, Ori fans

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

TBH I feel bad for people *not* gaming on XBox... It is where everything is happening now. GP, Elite controller, Cross platform stuff, BC, Live, xCloud, X1X. You have to be a little bit weird IMHO to say there is nothing exciting.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Wow. Nothing exciting? I don't know about that.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
TBH I feel bad for people *not* gaming on XBox... It is where everything is happening now. GP, Elite controller, Cross platform stuff, BC, Live, xCloud, X1X. You have to be a little bit weird IMHO to say there is nothing exciting.

The day they release TLOU2, HZD, Spiderman, and all other singleplayer AAA first-party Sony level of quality I can switch. Cross-platform I don't care, Xcloud, PSNow or Stadia I don't care. Elite Controller I don't care about it. The games, the games, and the games. The day people will understand the games some people want to play aren't on Gamepass or arrive very late like The Witcher 3.

EDIT: I don't believe GP is a service where big tentpole single-player experience will flourish and be very common out of some older game or some occasional deal but I think Sony needs to change its services and create a download service only.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

Then call me weird. I don't care if I am the only guy who gets the PS5. I am not interested in Microsoft anything. They do have a few games I want to play but I can't play it.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The day they release TLOU2, HZD, Spiderman, and all other singleplayer AAA first-party Sony level of quality I can switch. Cross-platform I don't care, Xcloud, PSNow or Stadia I don't care. Elite Controller I don't care about it. The games, the games, and the games. The day people will understand the games some people want to play aren't on Gamepass or arrive very late like The Witcher 3.

EDIT: I don't believe GP is a service where big tentpole single-player experience will flourish and be very common out of some older game or some occasional deal but I think Sony needs to change its services and create a download service only.

Do you believe hzd , Spider-Man and tlou2(which isn't even out) can be said to not be as appealing as the games found on gamepass? Do you also believe that allot of people would think Sony first party titles aren't as good as some would lead us to believe?

Lets take naughty dog....they have allot to prove after making a sub par uncharted 4.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Do you believe hzd , Spider-Man and tlou2(which isn't even out) can be said to not be as appealing as the games found on gamepass? Do you also believe that allot of people wouldn't think Sony first party titles aren't as good as some would lead us to believe?

Lets take naughty dog....they have allot to prove after making a sub par uncharted 4?

But for the moment there is nothing on the same level on Gamepass, this just a reality and I don't care about the games releasing of Gamepass being a single-player only and I don't play racing games. Some games look great like Ori for example but not enough to make me change.I need two to three times per year great single-player AAA games and some good AA or indie games between this big release.

No this time Naughty Dog did not change of director in the middle of development and Uncharted 4 was far to be a bad game, not the best ND games or the best Uncharted games but it was a good game with some problem of pacing.

I can add Bloodborne, God of War, soon Ghost of Tsushima. I like Sucker Punch game and I have confidence Shuhei Yoshida said for a long time the gameplay is good and coming from a guy which had the platinum trophy on Bloodborne he has all my confidence.

EDIT: My main concern Sony wants to make PlayStation 4 player goes on PS5 as fast as possible they need to have a better two to three first years on the exclusives side. Bloodborne and UC 4 were a bit alone.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
But for the moment there is nothing on the same level on Gamepass, this just a reality and I don't care about the games releasing of Gamepass being a single-player only and I don't play racing games. Some games look great like Ori for example but not enough to make me change.

No this time Naughty Dog did not change of director in the middle of development and Uncharted 4 was far to be a bad game, not the best ND games or the best Uncharted games but it was a good game with some problem of pacing. But a good game.

I can add Bloodborne, God of War, soon Ghost of Tsushima. I like Sucker Punch game and I have confidence Shuhei Yoshida said for a long time the gameplay is good and coming from a guy which had the platinum trophy on Bloodborne he has all my confidence.

You legit sound like it's all good because it's coming from Sony. Your opinion is reality? God of War is a system seller for me...no lie. Bloodborne...meh. Ghost....it's not out and what they showed was decent.

To say there's nothing on gamepass the level of an Uncharted 4 that had bad pacing and development probs is hilarious to say the least. Some of yall make this gaming thing way harder than it needs to be.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think both consoles are going to be any stronger/weaker than each other save for a few miniscule differences.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
You legit sound like it's all good because it's coming from Sony. Your opinion is reality? God of War is a system seller for me...no lie. Bloodborne...meh. Ghost....it's not out and what they showed was decent.

To say there's nothing on gamepass the level of an Uncharted 4 that had bad pacing and development probs is hilarious to say the least. Some of yall make this gaming thing way harder than it needs to be.

If you don't like From Software games, this is your opinion. But don't try to dictate your opinion to other players. This has nothing to do with being Sony. If MS proposes some better single-player AAA game regularly maybe two per years I can switch before my main system was Nintendo until Gamecube. My main problem with UC4 was some pacing problem but I had a good moment and I was happy to see the end of Nathan Drake's story. The shooting was better than other Uncharted games. After they completely ruin the best setpiece of the game showing it at E3 imo.

Again for Ghost before the game was announced, two years before Shuheil Yoshida was talking with journalists and said the gameplay of the next Sucker Punch game is great. And I liked other Sucker Punch games.

And if he is able to do this in Bloodborne, he has my full confidence.

Currently next-gen will be PS5 + switch/switch 2 on my side. And if there is not enough release I can play a game in my huge PS4 backlog or some good Nintendo game. And more than franchises, there are studios I like on PS side ND, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Bluepoint, Guerrilla Games...

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It's not enough to have the same price and relative power. You need to launch within a few weeks of PS5. PS4 was also much smaller than XB1 and had the power brick integrated. Sony engineers and supplier deals were just so far ahead. Sony is going to throw more heat next gen with PS Now, so Xcloud will have a tough fight there too. Sony is on Azure so forget about any performance advantage for Xbox on cloud. We all know MS aint winning on 1st party output either. Both will have BC. Gamepass is good, but PS Now is still better. I think Microsoft has a few areas of attack:

VR - Sony will come in with a really solid, proprietary, entry level priced PSVR2. Xbox could be the 'every VR' platform including much higher end models
Windows 10 - Just do it. Full dual boot OS. Yes that means Steam on the Xbox. <== this is how you do it Microsoft. People would like a full PC attached to their TV. This is the #1 thing that would make me buy Xbox instead of Playstation. Charge $100 more for dual boot SKU if you have to.
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a Killer App. Make nextbox version run well
Minecraft maybe. i think theres a case to just keep putting it on everything though they might have to remove the Microsoft login for PS5 to get it

They seriously have a tough fight though. I think they will be doing very well to hit 1:2 sales ratio. Sony is going to land strong on power, price, footprint, release date, and create a soft landing for all the PS4 owners out there. They will have next gen streaming and PSVR2 will probably be totally wireless. tough to beat all this.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't like From Software games, this is your opinion. But don't try to dictate your opinion to other players. This has nothing to do with being Sony. If MS proposes some better single-player AAA game regularly maybe two per years I can switch before my main system was Nintendo until Gamecube. My main problem with UC4 was some pacing problem but I had a good moment and I was happy to see the end of Nathan Drake's story. The shooting was better than other Uncharted games. After they completely ruin the best setpiece of the game showing it at E3 imo.

"But don't try to dictate your opinion to other players"

Now you're making stuff up. My mistake for engaging you.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The company who still charges you online for fee to play games is not going to be giving up that free cash lmao.
And people said the same thing to me when I was saying that MS would put their first party games on gamepass day and date. See you at E3 2020 (as that's when I said it would happen)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
"But don't try to dictate your opinion to other players"

Now you're making stuff up. My mistake for engaging you.

You said Bloodborne meh, good for you. I like it and not because it was Sony because it is a good game imo. Some people can't like it. It is their taste. Like I said if your favorite games are Halo, Gears and Forza buy a PS4 or a PS5 is strange if you don't like the game on PS. Imo system seller does not exist, I will never buy a system for one game. I need to have games I like releasing regularly.

I wrote this post because the guy was telling people are strange to not game on Xbox where everything is going on and this is no the case at all. If the games the player wants to play aren't on Xbox or Gamepass this is just a choice. The same for a guy liking Nintendo games, his main platform will be the Switch.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
It's not enough to have the same price and relative power. You need to launch within a few weeks of PS5. PS4 was also much smaller than XB1 and had the power brick integrated. Sony engineers and supplier deals were just so far ahead. Sony is going to throw more heat next gen with PS Now, so Xcloud will have a tough fight there too. Sony is on Azure so forget about any performance advantage for Xbox on cloud. We all know MS aint winning on 1st party output either. Both will have BC. Gamepass is good, but PS Now is still better. I think Microsoft has a few areas of attack:

VR - Sony will come in with a really solid, proprietary, entry level priced PSVR2. Xbox could be the 'every VR' platform including much higher end models
Windows 10 - Just do it. Full dual boot OS. Yes that means Steam on the Xbox. <== this is how you do it Microsoft. People would like a full PC attached to their TV. This is the #1 thing that would make me buy Xbox instead of Playstation. Charge $100 more for dual boot SKU if you have to.
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a Killer App. Make nextbox version run well
Minecraft maybe. i think theres a case to just keep putting it on everything though they might have to remove the Microsoft login for PS5 to get it

They seriously have a tough fight though. I think they will be doing very well to hit 1:2 sales ratio. Sony is going to land strong on power, price, footprint, release date, and create a soft landing for all the PS4 owners out there. They will have next gen streaming and PSVR2 will probably be totally wireless. tough to beat all this.

Ps now better than gamepass I would strongly disagree on this, I would also argue against the form factor mentions on the PS4 and Xb1 as if the Xbox one X is anything to take from MS cleaned up with creating a form fitting console.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
You said Bloodborne meh, good for you. I like it and not because it was Sony because it is a good game imo. Some people can't like it. It is their taste. Like I said if your favorite games are Halo, Gears and Forza buy a PS4 or a PS5 is strange if you don't like the game on PS. Imo system seller does not exist, I will never buy a system for one game. I need to have games I like releasing regularly.

I wrote this post because the guy was telling people are strange to not game on Xbox where everything is going on and this is no the case at all. If the games the player wants to play aren't on Xbox or Gamepass this is just a choice. The same for a guy liking Nintendo games, his main platform will be the Switch.

"Like I said if your favorite games are Halo, Gears and Forza"

Bye

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
What does gamepass do better? PS Now is as low as $5/month, can be streamed on PC, has 800 games, over 300 of which can be downloaded and played on PS4 Pro with 4K if the title supports it.

How many of those are recent games , how many of those are brand new games or indie titles dropping on it day 1? As for the value component I would say since this place constantly says gamepass for a dollar so much then it's cheaper also.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017

That is kind of a ridiculous assertion to make. No need to feel sorry for people that don't own your console of choice. Be happy that we have choices and assume most people that have a console have the one they want.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does gamepass do better? PS Now is as low as $5/month, can be streamed on PC, has 800 games, over 300 of which can be downloaded and played on PS4 Pro with 4K if the title supports it.

PSNow is a pretty good service, but I can't download those games on PC, they can't stream above 720p, it doesn't get new releases on launch day. I have Game Pass and know that I'll be able to play Ori 2, Minecraft Dungeons, Wasteland 3, Halo Infinite, etc. etc. all on the day they launch. I can't do that with PSNow (for obvious reasons with Sony's current business model), but that to me makes PSNow way less attractive than Game Pass.

For me, PSNow is something I occasionally sub to on my PS4 so I can play a game it offers that I didn't manage to get to when it came out, or that I want to revisit (like Tokyo Jungle!) Game Pass is something I expect i'll remain subbed to permanently and is almost a necessity for me with how many new and recent releases come out on it. Similar services, different offerings and amounts of focus by their respective companies.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Gamepass and a controller were the first two things you listed, that's a bit concerning from a platform holder. Xbox's problem has been and will continue to be making good video games that people want to play.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
if PS5 is more powerful I expect this to happen.

Let's not kid ourselves though and expect differences to be big, they definitely won't. I'm willing to bet we're absolutely not going to see X-Pro differences, and neither One-PS4. It will likely be very small, I just can't see anything else being the case.

Which honestly, is nothing but a good thing.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Do you believe hzd , Spider-Man and tlou2(which isn't even out) can be said to not be as appealing as the games found on gamepass? Do you also believe that allot of people would think Sony first party titles aren't as good as some would lead us to believe?

Lets take naughty dog....they have allot to prove after making a sub par uncharted 4.
Lost legacy was the last naughty dog game, reviewed very well too.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
What I am still very curious about is, what will happen to Xbox One (X). I can't see them dropping X right away, it hasn't been on the market for that long, but on the other hand, it IS time to drop Xbox One (S) because a new generation is starting.

It kinda sounds like they are backtracking on the "no more generations" thing and this is good. I'm sure we'll hear their plans for how they are gonna do things. Sony made it clear they want players on PS5 as quickly as possible, now let's see what MS does.

Jan 20, 2019

Dafuq?

Im sure they do, a 17M copie sold game with 93 metacrit is a lot to prove...

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think MS can afford to allow Xbox to be weaker, even if by a very small margin. Even if it's a 1% disadvantage to PS5 it will be a PR disaster for Xbox...again. I think Phil is well aware of this and isn't going to let it happen.

1% would just mean if a single person said something it would result in literally every person saying the more reasonable thing of "you really think 1% actually matters dude? You'd never see that kind of difference" and everyone outside of a few sad fanboys will upvote those responses to high heaven every time.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Lost legacy was the last naughty dog game, reviewed very well too.

Didn't play it.
Dafuq?

Im sure they do, a 17M copie sold game with 93 metacrit is a lot to prove...

I was one of those 17 million and I thought it was a complete letdown. The only Uncharted I didn't complete multiple times. It having a 93 metacritic means next to nothing. Other people's opinions on games don't enhance my enjoyment of anything. I don't participate in any review threads here.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think the power difference between the two is going to be negligible overall. Good to see MS isn't gonna commit those mistakes again, though.

Jan 20, 2019
Didn't play it.

I was one of those 17 million and I thought it was a complete letdown. The only Uncharted I didn't complete multiple times. It having a 93 metacritic means next to nothing. Other people's opinions on games don't enhance my enjoyment of anything. I don't participate in any review threads here.

That is your problem then, but telling the studio as a lot to prove is some statement, im sure that made sense in your head.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still wondering how any side can make such a claim on power. Neither side can know how the chips will really fall, right? Is this more an implication that their box is going to eat a higher production cost but lower selling price to ensure they have the power AND the right price? That seems the only way to be confident at all.