• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
I think the assumption that most competing games will run at 4k native is flawed. We might see progress in upscaling like DLSS, and most people's TVs aren't big enough or they don't sit close enough for native 4k to be really worth it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It says different not lower, but I hope you're right : )

Yeah that's exactly how I see it, sometimes on pc a different more demanding effect will be used at high settings, lowering the setting activates a lower quality less demanding effect that offers similar visual qualities.

That's what I took that comment as, I imagine it is that.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's exactly how I see it, sometimes on pc a different more demanding effect will be used at high settings, lowering the setting activates a lower quality less demanding effect that offers similar visual qualities.

That's what I took that comment as, I imagine it is that.
Ok all good! As long as they don't change up the effects to much :p

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That too, the difference in RAM is quite significant.

I assume the Series S will use 5GB of the 8GB for video. Having half the video memory when pushing half the resolution actually makes complete sense, and is right in-line with how video settings currently work on PCs.

As for the memory bandwidth, that number is exactly what the GTX 980 has (224GB/s), more than the GTX 1060 (192GB/s), and within spitting distance of the GTX 1070 (256GB/s). Once again, considering the Series S has an RDNA2 GPU, I imagine it could get close to GTX 1070 performance, which is an incredibly capable 1440p 60fps card, and also did great at 4k 30fps on Xbox One tier games. The main difference being the 1070 was originally designed to also run at 4K, hence why the memory bandwidth is likely not as necessary at 1440p.

To cap this off, the Series S will only be pulling half the amount of mip-map memory as the Series X, yet it has the exact same SSD and texture decompression grunt. It will be a very capable little machine, and probably especially perfect for people who care more about framerate than resolution.

DarkMage619

Dec 1, 2017
Just saw this tweet from Tom Warren:

This is embarrassing. He knows *exactly* why they deleted those tweets - because of business. You are not supposed to talk badly about the product of a partner, even if it's the truth. Yet he feigns ignorance and asks them publicly in a passive-aggressive way wether they changed their minds, fully knowing that he will not get an answer. Really tells you all about what to expect from his reporting regarding Series S.

What is wrong with his questions? Those developers thought it was a good idea to take their complaints about the XSS to Twitter a public forum. They obviously wanted the world to know their feelings so its totally fair to ask them if they still feel the same way and why they deleted their comments. If they have an issue with XSS development why not talk to MS instead of Twitter? Their comments were better for fanboy console wars over legitimate development concerns. It's is in all their best interests to develop the best content they can and I'm certain MS has tools and tech support to ensure games look their best. Twitter does not.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would probably be 4k output but you may have something with dynamic resolution dip to that low or likely even lower.
I think devs might want to explore things like vrs more in the future, too. I think only time will tell but I would not worry about the X reaching that low that it will a big concern for the S.

Oct 25, 2017
What is wrong with his questions? Those developers thought it was a good idea to take their complaints about the XSS to Twitter a public forum. They obviously wanted the world to know their feelings so its totally fair to ask them if they still feel the same way and why they deleted their comments. If they have an issue with XSS development why not talk to MS instead of Twitter? Their comments were better for fanboy console wars over legitimate development concerns. It's is in all their best interests to develop the best content they can and I'm certain MS has tools and tech support to ensure games look their best. Twitter does not.

He can message them not throw them out there for all the fanboys to harass them on this shit. He did it about the worst way he could have, comes off as a passive aggressive cry baby.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I understand the product a bit better now, as being a way of playing the exact same game at a lower res, for those who don't care / can't take advantage of / can't afford three 4K @ 60fps machine.

I can't comment on if that will work out. But I do think it's a tough one to articulate, market and sell. I suppose the price difference makes most of the argument for you though.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
We know titles coming to Xbox will also be on PC. Series S is more powerful than the current min spec for PC games.

It won't have a chance to hold back any titles until the targeted min spec for PC exceeds XSS specs, which probably won't happen for at least 3-4 years. Most games still support 700 or 900 series Nvidia cards with 4GB or less VRAM and don't require SSD.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
We should play a game of rotating chairs on which system will "hold back" next gen any other day on this forum.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I think devs might want to explore things like vrs more in the future, too. I think only time will tell but I would not worry about the X reaching that low that it will a big concern for the S.

VRS does help, but you are right, only time will tell, there is only so much we can speculate.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of 2013 when Microsoft were hauling out all their execs and tech fellows to talk about how "balanced" the XB1 was.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Don't have to read the article to know the dude that works for MS is gonna say something positive. Funny way to title it.

This forum, and I suppose all enthusiast forums, have a big problem with just taking PR at face value. Tons of threads of "Man who wants you to buy Product says Product is really good, actually" with hundreds of uncritical posts. What possible reason would Mark or Phil or Jim or Dwight or Toby have to lie to you?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
So not a single question about the RAM speeds, it's split pool and size? The part that is actually worrying developers.
We know that the GPU is okay for lower resolutions (though we will see about ray-tracing) but it is the main memory that's too drastically compromised for a simple resolution change to accommodate the spec difference.

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
100% agree. If you post your concerns publicly for all Twitter to see, there's nothing wrong with being questioned about your comments in the same manner.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to publically call out something, there is no problem with being called out on it publically.

They called out what exactly? Offering their opinions using their expertise on a product is calling it out? lmao come on, he's specifically calling 2 people out for having a different opinion on a product, what is he trying to do, save Microsoft? If he actually cared about getting their opinions he would have done it in a private manner, but that's not what he was doing and it's really transparent.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
He should message them privately for quotes rather than calling them out publicly, potentially damaging reputation further, and dragging up issues for them professionally when they have deleted their tweets for clearly business or personal reasons.
I'm not saying that them tweeting publicly in the first place was a good thing. But Tom Warren needs to maintain a level of professionalism in his approach instead of adding fuel to the fan boy console wars.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
If you're going to publically call out something, there is no problem with being called out on it publically.
He's supposed to be a journalist, it was petty and unprofessional.
Back on topic though it does look like the Series S is a mighty piece of kit. I play on 4K screens though so would always want higher native res and texture packs.

Ex Libris

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

When your defence is whataboutism, maybe its time to stop

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't get it either. If you're going to be pretty public about things then expect people to follow up on that. This weird protective stance everyone takes like they are some damsel in distress is annoying as hell. Own up to what you said, be an adult is owning up to your shit.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Why ask the creator of the system instead of reaching out to 3rd party devs?
Third party developers are under NDA and usually can't talk about everything on PS/Xbox.
because it's the Verge.
Yep this.

A reminder that it is a real developer that got warned (and I'm not sure, but maybe even banned) because of console warring.

That's the level we're talking about here.
Dirt 5 developer thinks Series S is a great piece of kit aswell. Maybe you guys calm down.

This is embarrassing. He knows *exactly* why they deleted those tweets - because of business. You are not supposed to talk badly about the product of a partner, even if it's the truth. Yet he feigns ignorance and asks them publicly in a passive-aggressive way wether they changed their minds, fully knowing that he will not get an answer. Really tells you all about what to expect from his reporting regarding Series S.
Lol. Nobody knows exactly why they deleted their tweet. Unless you think developers under NDA are dumb enough to ignore it and after hours of tweeting, suddenly google what a NDA is and start saying to themselves "Wait, I signed one right? Better deleting the tweet". Devs are smart people.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
User Banned (3 days): Console wars
Of course an Xbot is gonna say that. LOL.

Hey everyone come check out the thread I made about how great devs think the ps5 is.

(15 naughty dog Twitter handles populate the OP)

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
He's supposed to be a journalist, it was petty and unprofessional.
Back on topic though it does look like the Series S is a mighty piece of kit. I play on 4K screens though so would always want higher native res and texture packs.
In any industry talking negatively publically about a business partner's unreleased products is also unprofessional. There is a reason they deleted the tweets.

They called out what exactly? Offering their opinions using their expertise on a product is calling it out? lmao come on, he's specifically calling 2 people out for having a different opinion on a product, what is he trying to do, save Microsoft? If he actually cared about getting their opinions he would have done it in a private manner, but that's not what he was doing and it's really transparent.
Should Tom have reached out privately? Sure.

Does Tom really care about their opinions?
Sure, but I doubt they'd give an interview continuing to share negative feelings when they've already deleted their tweets.

Should those devs have shared negative opinions on a business partner's unreleased product? No.

We'll know if Series S has held back next gen in a couple of years, so I find all of these articles pointless currently.

Last edited:

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
I assume the Series S will use 5GB of the 8GB for video. Having half the video memory when pushing half the resolution actually makes complete sense, and is right in-line with how video settings currently work on PCs.

As for the memory bandwidth, that number is exactly what the GTX 980 has (224GB/s), more than the GTX 1060 (192GB/s), and within spitting distance of the GTX 1070 (256GB/s). Once again, considering the Series S has an RDNA2 GPU, I imagine it could get close to GTX 1070 performance, which is an incredibly capable 1440p 60fps card, and also did great at 4k 30fps on Xbox One tier games. The main difference being the 1070 was originally designed to also run at 4K, hence why the memory bandwidth is likely not as necessary at 1440p.

To cap this off, the Series S will only be pulling half the amount of mip-map memory as the Series X, yet it has the exact same SSD and texture decompression grunt. It will be a very capable little machine, and probably especially perfect for people who care more about framerate than resolution.

The SSD and Ram setup for the Series S is similar (in speed) to the PS5 in the sense that due to the lower amount or RAM that needs to be filled and that the speed of the SSD together with Velocity Architecture is roughly the same/more that what needs to be filled.. all those benefits people are claiming Sony will have, should then also be achieved on the Series S but obviously with lower fidelity (aiming at maximum 1440p)

it does seem that MS tested the shit out of scenarios with the Series S and chose the specs accordingly.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Of course an Xbot is gonna say that. LOL.

Hey everyone come check out the thread I made about how great devs think the ps5 is.

(15 naughty dog Twitter handles populate the OP)
Codemasters said it aswell. But you are right, neither Sony or Microsoft will criticise their own product.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Warren is such a fanboy, he could just have DMed them instead of trying too turn fanboys against them.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The SSD and Ram setup for the Series S is similar (in speed) to the PS5 in the sense that due to the lower amount or RAM that needs to be filled and that the speed of the SSD together with Velocity Architecture is roughly the same/more that what needs to be filled.. all those benefits people are claiming Sony will have, should then also be achieved on the Series S but obviously with lower fidelity (aiming at maximum 1440p)

it does seem that MS tested the shit out of scenarios with the Series S and chose the specs accordingly.

Absolutely. I was going to actually say something about that ;), but I didn't want to ramble on too much, haha.

I would have loved for the Series S for use the full 24 CUs and have 12GB of Ram, even just so it could have all the Xbox One X benefits. I think that loss will be pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, especially with how good the Series S' backcompat sounds. If there's one thing I think MS did well, it's balance their systems in a way that maximized what was most important, and trimmed all the fat. On Series X, that was making sure it was the most powerful console on the market, and came in at $500. On Series S, it was coming in at a ridiculously good price point, while being able to play Series X games (probably) perfectly at lower resolutions.

I'm excited to see how this all pans out at launch.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
MS ignores the fact that modern GPUs are responsible for more than resolution and frame rate. What about physics, machine learning? Can this be scaled that easily