• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
why? game streaming inherently involves a large shift in how games are delivered and consumed and that comes with a big set of tradeoffs. people who are disadvantaged by those tradeoffs would naturally want the format to fail.
If somebody did the same for anything else (say, PC gaming/steam bringing in a future where you don't own games) and whined about it in every thread regarding it, it would be rightfully considered drive-by trolling. It's a valid concern, we just don't need all the drive-by's. This isn't going to usher in a future where consoles don't suit your needs.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
ResetEra certainly is. I can't wait to try it out. I would be delighted to never need to buy another console.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They're in the process of doing this.
They needed to launch with it. People don't typically buy hopes and dreams. Next gen is coming next year and this was Stadias moment to grab attention with some jaw dropping title and say that they're 'starting next gen today'. No doubt they're launching 2019 in view of not wanting to compete with next gen console hype. Except now if it comes out that their monthly sub numbers are low it will look like a failed project, and their in house developed game won't look as good against next gen titles as it will against current gen titles. I expect a decent size of people doing the trial, but by Q1 next year I don't see that many buying in.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Do we all have the memories of goldfish? OnLive existed. Playstation Now exists. Google's version of that kind of thing living or dying will say almost nothing about the future of this type of service.

The only time I think Google's habit of suddenly ditching services has ever had an overall depressing effect on things was when they killed Google Reader.

The only thing that's going to change how it's perceived is a massive upgrade in infrastructure, and a reversal in the trend of charging big fees for bandwidth use. Especially in the United States.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Everyone does this for every product now; anything that gets media attention has to be a huge success or a colossal failure with loads of people not really interested in the product sitting on the sidelines to cheer-lead it's demise.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Everyone does this for every product now; anything that gets media attention has to be a huge success or a colossal failure with loads of people not really interested in the product sitting on the sidelines to cheer-lead it's demise.
This. So much this.

It doesn't help that mainstream media runs with it and are responsible for a lot of misinformation that gets people even more riled up.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I think there´s a combination of factors behind Stadia´s troubled rollout and its complex reception among those of us who consider gaming to be one of our main hobbies:

1) The normal scepticism related to the widespread adoption of relatively new technologies. No one has tried to implement game streaming at this scale before. A significant percentage of gamers (even those who dwell forums like this) do not have the connection quality or stability required by such a service. It isn´t even available in my country, for example (Argentina). They haven´t been really careful with PR (negative latency, stacking overpromises, etc.).
I do believe this is the inevitable future some here from now.

2) It could be argued that Stadia began as an engineering project which was successful and eventually some service conditions and pricing were attached on it, and not the other way around. For those with optimal conditions, the tech is already there; but many crucial aspects seem to be rather raw (no exclusives, no studios, no achievements at launch, many technical caveats, etc.). They seem to be rushing it to beat xCloud in particular.

3) As ridiculed as the "Killed by Google" list is, IMHO Stadia could become a threat to established platforms. I welcome competition, but... what if Stadia becomes really mainstream? The YouTube integration and the no-specific hardware requirements could be gigantic.
Here, every day, we see an anthropologically interesting link between people and their platforms of choice (console wars, etc.). The scale and sheer power of Google, plus the potential innovation behind Stadia, means it could send shockwaves across this industry and our investments in the current platforms.
Even the gargantuan Microsoft (which, contrary to what the article says, is still bigger and richer than Alphabet/Google) has struggled to find a footing in the gaming industry during two decades. Sony has had a lot of triumphs and is widely beloved (particularly in places like this forum), but it is literally dwarfed by Google and heavily depends on the traditional model of selling hardware. "Traditional" PC gaming, as much as fundamentalists try to deny it, could be forever changed if streaming takes off. Nintendo is a relatively isolated case.

4) Google has dominated many markets. It has avoided antitrust manuals, emerging while the US government was busy attacking a much less powerful (but still seen as malignant) Microsoft. Search, browser, maps, mobile OS, online videos, calendar, pictures... it is becoming increasingly difficult to avoid using their products, many of which are de facto monopolies. They are almost unstoppable and even governments aren´t capable to firmly regulate them. I do not want Google in another aspect of my life. And I know that if this becomes viable, they could start a purchasing spree of studios and exclusives that could alter the landscape of the industry.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This. So much this.

It doesn't help that mainstream media runs with it and are responsible for a lot of misinformation that gets people even more riled up.
God forbid you actually enjoy the latest shitshow product.

My wife plays Fallout 76, because she thinks it's fun.. we got it for free ($15 on amazon with a $15 credit).. but according to every era thread on the topic she's some moron sucker.

Note: not saying bethesda/fallout 76 or Stadia don't deserve criticism.. just more talking about the people who seem giddy to comment on anything they have deemed a failure to the point where they are insulting to anyone interested in a product

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Silly title. The world will watch it truck along like VR and be a part of how to play games. The service is nothing I want as a PC gamer but can understand the appeal and one day will be how most play games.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
My close friend group is composed of all people who grew up playing games and still game in our 30s on a near-daily basis. I'm probably the only "enthusiast" in the group though and none of them even know what Stadia is. I only have a vague idea of what it is, personally. It's just not an exciting product at all.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's weird and I'm very tech savvy so I can't imagine how strange it is to a tech laymen. Having to sub AND buy the game just sucks imo.

I'm sure some people will try and use the negativity around it to turn the service into some kind of underdog but this is Google for crying out loud so that will never work. Google can never be an underdog.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think Google has done a very very poor job of making it clear to consumers that they already have Stadia if they have anything that has Chrome or can run Chrome on it. The way people talk about it (even on here), they act as if it's a new console they have to buy.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
stadia might fail, but streaming wont. there is little in the way of stopping that.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who would never digital over physical when given a choice I am in no rush for "cloud" gaming. It's just another anti consumer initiative to prevent real ownership of a product that will prevent you from selling or lending out games.

Be honest about it. It's a way to kill the resale market.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I have a shittyish pc. I might, because I am not sure I'll trust the ps4 version.

I am, it will play a lot better than my pc or ps4

You both are the best usecase for this scenario. I can only hope that by the time CPunk launches, Stadia no longer has the asinine restrictions like they have with the Chromecast Ultra and Pixel phone locks.

Another possible annoyance y'all may run into is if you bring your laptop somewhere and the WiFi is just too shitty to access the content. Id be highly upset

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You both are the best usecase for this scenario. I can only hope that by the time CPunk launches, Stadia no longer has the asinine restrictions like they have with the Chromecast Ultra and Pixel phone locks.

Another possible annoyance y'all may run into is if you bring your laptop somewhere and the WiFi is just too shitty to access the content. Id be highly upset
Im playing on the chromecast so doesn't matter to me

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
ResetEra certainly is. I can't wait to try it out. I would be delighted to never need to buy another console.

Has it ever been clarified how exactly Google plans to make money on Stadia? I keep seeing people say that they're looking forward to having Google buy new hardware for them, but I'm not really sure what the incentive would be for Google to do this.

I know there's the subscription option for 4k, and they take a slice off the retail cost of the games, but I'm not really sure how that's sustainable when they need to constantly provide the streaming infrastructure and (apparently) upgrade their hardware.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has it ever been clarified how exactly Google plans to make money on Stadia? I keep seeing people say that they're looking forward to having Google buy new hardware for them, but I'm not really sure what the incentive would be for Google to do this.

I know there's the subscription option for 4k, and they take a slice off the retail cost of the games, but I'm not really sure how that's sustainable when they need to constantly provide the streaming infrastructure and (apparently) upgrade their hardware.
Maybe because they can use the servers for other things when they aren't being used for gaming

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
xCloud will have a much more difficult time of penetrating the market if Stadia bombs. That's standard economic behavior.
Stadia doesn't even have to bomb. xCloud will have an even softer launch. Worst possible versions of the games, XB1S versions streamable to mobile phones. I just can't see the appeal there.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I think a big part of it is that everybody just loves a good trainwreck, and we've seen a few of Stadia's wheels wibble and wobble on the tracks.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The future is in the cloud, I have no doubt about that.

Stadia could be the next Dreamcast or the next Xbox. Dreamcast failed to delivered the online gaming, but Xbox succeed. The difference was: Money invested, patience, an exclusive & popular game to promote the cloud (like halo promoted the online gaming)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia doesn't even have to bomb. xCloud will have an even softer launch. Worst possible versions of the games, XB1S versions streamable to mobile phones. I just can't see the appeal there.
Resetera suddenly doesn't care about specs anymore since other cloud services aren't as good, they sure do care when new consoles are announced though

My ps5 has 100 more gflops than your Xbox 2!

xcloud uses a Xbox 1 S and stadia has a 11TF gpu who cares xcloud is better

PSnow is only 720p and stadia is 4k but this doesn't matter either

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Until Google proves otherwise I will continue to view the Stadia much in the same way I viewed consoles like the CDI, 3DO, and Ouya.

im happy to proven wrong if Google gets it right but nothing I have seen or read about the Stadia makes me believe it will be successful. I'd likely feel the same way if Apple decided to get into the Console business, though I'd have alittle more faith in its chances of selling.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yeah I've basically written off the Stadia months ago, but I've recently gotten into Destiny 2 so maybe I'll use it for that once in a blue moon? Like for when I'm at a hotel and I just want to grind for a bit. That being said I'm not putting any money into the Stadia, I give it 2 years max until Google kills it.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Your point is just the bread and butter of every new technology discussion on era.

Nobody is scared of the unknown here, we already know the consequences of not having an offline option for our games. Problems inherent to Stadia are not new, or atleast most of them aren't.

I never said they're new or unique to Stadia but unlike those other consoles this is something different. There's not platform so to speak. No console. No familiar trappings of buying into an ecosystem. It's different.

Besides when I say people are scared it's not of Google specifically because let's admit it, they need to stick to this long enough to make people notice and they don't have a great track record. What's scary is the new paradigm it can spark. If it's even moderately successful it'll have copy cats and once the tide starts to turn it's hard to stem. People here already freak about digital games and how they're sticking to physical, etc. This isn't even a local machine you can at least still play from offline. It's all online all the time and you have zero control over it.

That's where the fear comes from. Stadia to me represents the biggest step yet towards abolishing the traditional console ownership cycle and people are resistant to it. Sure there's not a lot of "fear" coming from people here and other communities like this but what if MS or Sony see that as a valid Avenue to take? Or hell Nintendo? It's just interesting to me because we all know it's coming but it's just a matter of how willing you are to accept it and most here aren't willing to.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Nobody is at the edge of their seat waiting for this thing to fail. It seems like nobody gives a shit about Stadia even for that.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I don't think Stadia is make or break for cloud gaming but fears that Google could just up and cancel the service after a year or two are legitimate considering their track record.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Stadia is make or break for cloud gaming but fears that Google could just up and cancel the service after a year or two are legitimate considering their track record.
So how many years does it have to be up and running until you trust it? once you see that it's been up for over 2 years then your good?

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Yeah I've basically written off the Stadia months ago, but I've recently gotten into Destiny 2 so maybe I'll use it for that once in a blue moon? Like for when I'm at a hotel and I just want to grind for a bit. That being said I'm not putting any money into the Stadia, I give it 2 years max until Google kills it.
No indication so far that Stadia will have any F2P games without having to buy them (like the current all-in version of D2 with the expansions).

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
So how many years does it have to be up and running until you trust it? once you see that it's been up for over 2 years then your good?
It needs to show continuous growth for at least a year or two without too many issues (especially server issues). It couldn't hurt if the other services fail either, though I think it's more likely we'll see both PS and XBox do fine with their own streaming version and they'll both carry their own exclusives no doubt. The biggest issue Stadia has is that other services will likely be complementary. Both local and Cloud options, whereas Stadia is only cloud. That's a huge issue, which is why realistically, Stadia would do best to have exclusive first person games that really make use of their infrastructure in ways other games can't. Unthinkable games preferably.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It needs to show continuous growth for at least a year or two without too many issues (especially server issues). It couldn't hurt if the other services fail either, though I think it's more likely we'll see both PS and XBox do fine with their own streaming version and they'll both carry their own exclusives no doubt. The biggest issue Stadia has is that other services will likely be complementary. Both local and Cloud options, whereas Stadia is only cloud. That's a huge issue, which is why realistically, Stadia would do best to have exclusive first person games that really make use of their infrastructure in ways other games can't. Unthinkable games preferably.
Maybe if Sony gets more serious about PSnow, hasn't done very well for 5 years, they need to sell new games on it and put it on more devices than just consoles and pc

can't say much about xcloud since don't know anything about it