• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This past week I've been watching eBay, trying to decide if I should sell my PS5. I wouldn't dream of becoming a scalper, but it's getting hard to ignore just how much it's worth. My daughter and I had beaten Astro Bot and Miles Morales, so I thought I'd peek at the resale market. Wow, are they worth a lot!

And it's not just the PlayStation 5 — I found that Xbox Series X and S, Nvidia's RTX 3090, 3080, 3070, and 3060 Ti graphics cards, and AMD's rival RX 6800 and 6800 XT GPUs are all commanding incredibly high prices on the resale market. It no longer surprises me how each big ticket holiday gaming gadget sells out nigh-instantly anytime they're restocked; the incentive for scalpers is just too high. They're so high even folks like me, who bought one intending to use it, might have to think twice. (That's capitalism for you.)

nU3jJpT.png

I didn't weed out any open-box or used consoles to get to these numbers, and you can easily see how strong the PS5's demand is in particular: even the PS5 Digital Edition (without the disc drive) is worth nearly as much as the disc version that retails for $100 more.

While scanning through, I also saw that including extra games, controllers or accessories isn't even necessary: sometimes it was enough to justify an extra $100 or $200, but a PS5 didn't need one to rake in $1K or more. (Some Xboxes with extra accessories seemed to be worth $50 to $100 more than others, but people are clearly buying for the consoles themselves.) All this means unless the situation changes drastically, the scalping isn't going to stop anytime soon.
As we've discussed repeatedly at The Verge, all of these items are practically impossible to buy at an actual store for their retail price right now. Unless you're lucky, have connections, or are willing to pay for bots or scalpers, you might not be able to find one at all — and retailers have don't have the right incentives to fix that.

www.theverge.com

The true price of a PlayStation 5

How much are the PS5, Xbox Series X, RTX 3080 and RX 6800 actually worth?

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Please for the love of god don't buy them at these prices.
All it will do is tell scalpers is to do it more/continue doing it.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
People buying consoles at these prices are the reason scalpers keep on scalping, Do NOT buy these consoles.

I am playing Ghost of Tsushima, Last Of Us 2, Spider Man Miles Morales and Sackboy Big Adventure and have Cyberpunk on the way, are better graphics and sound going to make these games better maybe but not £1000 better, I would rather wait until the consoles have received a few firmware updates and also it allows me to save up more, I want both PS5 and XboxX, I could buy both now but what is the point.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Or rich. For some people that premium is nothing, and time is more valuable to them than money.

I see people talking about the LG TVs and looked at them before being shocked at the price. I was expecting maybe $1000, not 3X that.

I'm not shocked these consoles are being sold at a premium now. I'm more shocked there's enough who continue to buy them at this price.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
While I personally wouldnt pay these prices, if you got the money to spend, then all the more power to you lol

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I can more readily see paying a first-adopter premium for PS5 than a high end GPU. With the console, you're at least getting a new user experience, new controller, upgrades to your PS4 back catalog, etc... with a new GPU, you're getting literally the same experience. If you really needed an upgrade, you could probably get one just for the $500 premium on the 3080. There won't be games taxing a 3080 probably for 2-3 years.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see people talking about the LG TVs and looked at them before being shocked at the price. I was expecting maybe $1000, not 3X that.

I'm not shocked these consoles are being sold at a premium now. I'm more shocked there's enough who continue to buy them at this price.
I paid retail for both my series x and PS5, they are both worth retail prices. They are not worth paying scalpers and buying a tv like the lg is worth it especially for what the are offering. It's fine if some won't but it's not a bad deal for them

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
who said they had to be rich?

why are you so butthurt that people can spend money how they choose?
dude what? lmao

I paid MSRP for a PS5, I'm not butthurt at all. Yes, rich people can afford to pay outrageous markups, anyone else is better off waiting a couple months. These products will be readily available very soon.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
If you are rich, go for it.

If I was rich, I don't think i would pay that markup though, just out of spite and on principal, as I know more were coming , haha. It's not like a rare out of circulation transformer or anything.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
People loved the RTX 2xxx series so much that they brought back the RTX 2xxx pricing all on their own.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Gaming website I write for is without a PS5, and our only Xbox Series X has died and will return from warranty check [on another side of Europe] in ~ month and a half.

I'm chasing for a new GPU [3080 or 6800XT] for weeks now, and no luck. The only 3080 models that are for sale are 1100€+, and I'm not willing to pay that much.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
If you are rich, go for it.

If I was rich, I don't think i would pay that markup though, just out of spite and on principal, as I know more were coming , haha. It's not like a rare out of circulation transformer or anything.

Agreed. None of these items are rare collectables and are still being produced.

WRC

Oct 28, 2017
hah you need more parts/proces in that table, the enitre 2000 series and even 5000 xt series of graphics card are ramping up like crazy with no stock whatsoever, at least in spain.

Even a 1660 ti being sold at 350€ new at retailers, like wtf.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
There is an account on eBay that has sold over 570 of these at $999 and still has hundreds left to sell presumably.

That is already a net gain of $285,000. Unreal. The sad thing most of these big scalpers are probably already loaded with cash, because a simpleton like most of us could never afford the initial purchases to fund such an operation.

The rich just getting richer. Yay capitalism.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I'd rather these companies put the systems on an auction site themselves and have all proceeds above MSRP go to a legit charity. I'd rather sick kids or starving people get these markup profits than scalpers.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I can almost understand if it's just some dude with a single console that got lucky and needs the extra money. Shit I'm tempted to sell mine at these going prices (I'm not, selling to a friend at cost). Could really help me out as I'm not exactly rolling in cash. An extra $500 could really help out most households in the US. But these guys who are just sitting on dozens or even hundreds of these consoles are just scum.

Epitome

Oct 27, 2017
The PS2 was $299 and was selling for near $1000 on eBay at launch. This is nothing new. People have always been impatient. Except now there's a global pandemic greatly affecting production and supply. If most units weren't currently being put up online and instead were sent to stores, the aftermarket price would be significantly higher.

Last edited:

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility; Prior Ban for Hostility
who said they had to be rich?

why are you so butthurt that people can spend money how they choose?

Listen brother, i get that you probably feel like ass due to all the alley dicksucking you've had to do to get your hands on enough cash to splurge away on a scalper ps5, but you don't have to bring it out on us. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Pre-building an argument for the inevitable homophobia warning/ban: I too, enjoy dicksucking.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
User threadbanned, further action pending review: antagonizing other members over a series of posts
Listen brother, i get that you probably feel like ass due to all the alley dicksucking you've had to do to get your hands on enough cash to splurge away on a scalper ps5, but you don't have to bring it out on us. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Pre-building an argument for the inevitable homophobia warning/ban: I too, enjoy dicksucking.

Lol that's not the kind of language we need here parley user

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
The 3090 is. The rest are pretty decent, although the consoles are still a better value due to MS and Sony eating a loss.
Disagree, a 5700XT scaled linearly to XS level is around the 3600Ti (non RT), a gpu that already costs 80% of the whole console.
The up to date AMD 8 core cpu officially costs another 90% XS, the closer cheapest 8 core Zen 2 60%.
The official price you have to pay to reach XS level is absurd.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Disagree, a 5700XT scaled linearly to XS level is around the 3600Ti (non RT), a gpu that already costs 80% of the whole console.
The up to date AMD 8 core cpu officially costs another 90% XS, the closer cheapest 8 core Zen 2 60%.
The official price you have to pay to reach XS level is absurd.
Like I said, AMD and Nvidia aren't in the business of subsidizing hardware to sell software. So you can only compare the GPU releases to other PC hardware. Consoles have their own set of tradeoffs.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
It has been fascinating to watch this unfold from mostly the distance.

Capitalism is just insanity.