• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This was expected. Back during the Road to PS5 showcase earlier in the year Cerny said they won't be able to verify third party NVME SSD drives until "some time" after launch, so it makes sense that support won't be available until later.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I thought WD confirmed that the WD Black would work on PS5??

AFAIK they put an asterisk next to it on a slide and said it wasn't confirmed, and then in that original thread I remember someone correcting me and telling me that they removed mention of PS5 from their materials for that drive. So sounds like WD ASSumed theirs was going to work but then found out that Sony has to test and certify first + the heatsink may not allow it to fit.

To be clear I don't think Sony is threatening companies that brand anything as PS5 or anything like that, I think those companies want to play it safe and not end up releasing something that doesn't work and piss off their customers that thought it said it was PS5 compatible.. They'd be the ones getting the heat from those disappointed buyers, not Sony.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
whats your source?

That is not true. My understanding is that PS5 games will only be allowed to install and run from the fast internal SSD. They made a big deal about this and PS5 developed games like Rachet needing that blazing fast read speeds etc. Ext drives simply are not fast enough. hence the expandable storage bay inside the console they are working to certify SSDs.
www.techradar.com

The best SSD for PS5 in 2024

Our picks for all the PS5 SSDs

I don't wanna transfer over back and forth. I was planning on grabbing an SSD ASAP. Oh well
I don't want to either but for launch I don't need that much storage so it's whatever.
(I don't even mind just having a couple games installed at once these days, even if I prefer having more)

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If they hadn't signaled this earlier, it would be really odd, but I imagine by the end of 2021 Q1 we should have some option(s) there.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ah well I wasn't going to buy too many games at launch anyway so I can wait.

I'm also hoping by the end of next year, PCIe gen 4 drives are cheaper

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Cerny was pretty clear back in March not to buy any SSD until it's been certified, so at least that part is old news. Not sure why they haven't started the actual certification process yet, though. Maybe they're waiting for final/release firmware or SDKs before starting?

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Was expecting Sony to handle this via a whitelist, so this does make sense. Unfortunate for those that jumped the gun on an SSD, but there was never any confirmation from Sony, so they have no one to blame but themselves, IMO.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
By the time I would consider even needing to buy one I am sure Ill have options

And I may not even buy them then until the prices come down

With how much faster install speeds should be I feel no need to have a boatload of games on the drive at once.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
www.techradar.com

I don't want to either but for launch I don't need that much storage so it's whatever.
(I don't even mind just having a couple games installed at once these days, even if I prefer having more)

Thanks for the link. A temporary solution then, but not for me. Add cold storage to dynamic storage next generation haha.

Scott Pilgrim

Oct 25, 2020
Good thing I'm not affected, I'm the type of person that just install few games to focus more on them and finish 100%, like Ghost of Tsushima Platinum Trophy!

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
I'm quite eager to see how much games require for installation/updates at launch because this could have some considerable impacts depending on what you're playing. PS4 games I plan to play on PS5 could make this much worse.

I'm hoping we see something from reviews on this once the embargo lifts so I can ease my mind.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
I know, but no reason it wouldn't support if the OS benchmark tools were ready.

On Xbone for example, Ms does have a list of certified drives but since it's impossible to test them all the console itself runs the benchmarks and assesses if the performance is enough, so you can venture off that list and buy one not officially supported. I would assume even with their certification process there will be benches performed by the console itself and if this is ready by launch I'm sure there will be a shitton of people testing for compatibility asap.

You can't release benchmarking tools if you don't have ssds that actually passes the benchmark. You need to then test the ssd that passes actually work for the PS5. This is to make sure that the benchmarking tools actually work.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's fine, but it does represent the upside of the Microsoft solution that I don't prefer overall. Microsoft has their solution available and straightforward on day 1.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Had to check to see if this thread was bumped or not, this was obvious from the Cerny ASMR talk back in March.
Not much has actually changed between then and now, we have a few NVME drives that may be suitable. Sony clearly wants to test before making a list of 'potential' drives.

In the meantime if people want to hoard games you can always use an external HDD/SDD as cold storage for your PS5 games and be playable for PS4 games.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Lol funny thing is next week there will be a blog post on drives that'll work.....and we'll move on to the next outrage

HDMI 2.1 cable was last week

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
When did they confirm that?

www.resetera.com

Western Digital shows their first PS5 compatible SSD on their press material (update: Nov 5th, Sony confirmed these won’t work at launch)

This will probably be officially announced in the stream that's going up a couple of hours from now. Speeds are 7000MB/s for Sequential Read and 4100MB/s, 5300MB/s and 5100MB/s for Sequential Write in the 500GB, 1TB and 2TB respectively. Prices are $149.99 for 500GB, $229.99 for 1TB and...

Whole bunch of people in this thread bought one.

Oct 25, 2017
www.techradar.com

This is the only article I've seen that explicitly states you can put PS5 games on an external drive. Sony hasn't said it and none of the other articles about PS5 storage say it. What is their source? Or did they just make the same mistake many of us did when remembering Cerny's statements on the subject?

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
This is the only article I've seen that explicitly states you can put PS5 games on an external drive. Sony hasn't said it and none of the other articles about PS5 storage say it. What is their source? Or did they just make the same mistake many of us did when remembering Cerny's statements on the subject?

Yep was about to say the same. ive watched countless videos from tubers and playstation support and dont recall anyone saying you can dump PS5 games onto ext usb for cold storage. you probably can do it, like XSX but Sony should have straight forward confirmed it in that article.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Yep was about to say the same. ive watched countless videos from tubers and playstation support and dont recall anyone saying you can dump PS5 games onto ext usb for cold storage. you probably can do it, like XSX but Sony should have straight forward confirmed it in that article.

They said you could during the tech dive a while back

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
it'll be interesting to see whether the WD self-approved one will work anyway (assuming they even have the infrastructure built into the OS at launch), or whether this will be driven by a whitelist.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering we only have one from WD that they say will work, one from Samsung we assume will work. That's it. Not exactly flowing with expansion cards choices right now. Sony said they would give more information when it was available, we should wait.

The storage space will be enough for most gamers.