• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Just to be clear, this refers only to internal SSD right? If so the title should be updated for more clarity.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to get my hands on the PS5 but people saying this is fine... it's not. It just feels like releaseing half assed products (see x900h : I love the TV but it's not PS5 ready as long as it's not all up to date)

No 1440p support and no way to increase storage is a bad look, especially when your competition comes out with those features same features day one. Just my 2 cents.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you fucking serious? Nice timing on this one Sony

Edit: Right, the March thing. Why were so many people buying up drives then? lol

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointing, and semi-understandable. Unfortunately, it also gives the feeling that this is coming in hot.

Acting like this was expected (in terms of the new detail that the expansion slot is effectively disabled out-of-the box) stretches credibility. This would have been better to announce earlier in the process to keep expectations in check. We did know from much earlier presentations (a little over 7 months ago) that details on compatibility would come later, but that was before the finalized info provided around the launch leadup. More recent promo videos even highlighted the internal SSD M2 bay, with no new context. It just feels needlessly "11th hour," unless something actually went wrong behind-the-scenes, which I doubt.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I would EXPECT that drive to meet spec but you never know.

I mean, I do too, considering their press materials said it was gonna be PS5 compatible, but here's Sony saying that the feature isn't enabled day one/they haven't tested anything so at this point it's down to semantics.

Hopefully, the PS5 automatically tests whether a drive is compatible for PS5 games and Sony is waiting to provide a curated list instead of whitelisting only certain drives

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It's disappointing the list and certification hasn't been completed by launch, but as everyone said verbatim, Cerny said as much months ago.

Jun 12, 2018
No one watched The Road to PS5.....😩

Seriously....this was expected.
NO ONE WATCHED IT? Get out of there. The man told you in March.

43WLSLh.png

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's disappointing the list and certification hasn't been completed by launch, but as everyone said verbatim, Cerny said as much months ago.
Yeah it was post launch. How long prob not too long because more than likely the issue is that they prob just started getting the drives like maybe a month or two ago from manufacturers. Based on them starting to trickle out like 3 potential drives.
Surprised no compatibility testing was done since March.
How would they if there aren't any drives on the market? They pretty much are on the manufactures timeline

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I really hate how much oof and yikes gets used nowadays.

Anyway any news about using the M.2 as just an extended storage for PS4/PS5 games? *edit* just read that the M.2 slot is disabled. huh I would've thought you'll be able to use standard M.2 drive for just storage purpose.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What we wanted to know is if the internal slot was useable like an external drive for cold storage, not only to expand the on-board ssd.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
My last post I felt like they were only talking about fast enough SSD. Looks like the port is disabled at launch, so no M.2 drives will be compatiable. Was hoping we could still use ANY M.2 drive to use, and the fast ones will come later.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we can play PS4 games using those, just like what XBOX is doing for their back-compat games?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Dissapointing but somewhat expected when they've been so ambigous and quiet about storage expansion options

Do what what kind of features are available for standard external storage solution? Is it similar to XSX/XSS where you can play Back Compat titles but not Next-Gen Specific ones though you can still store games to move them back and forth to the internal SSD?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
What he said is literally in the article.
Exactly.

He says that they will test and benchmark the drives and create an official list. And that might not be ready by launch.

He didn't say the OS bits that will benchmark the drive and enables to use it to install game (or that's not a thing for ps4 when you expand the storage ?) wouldn't be ready, which seems to be the case, otherwise people could just plug in their drives and test themselves.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
This is why it's smart to partner up with a ssd manufacturer for limited exclusivity. It incentives them to put together a solution at launch.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

He says that they will test and benchmark the drives and create an official list. And that might not be ready by launch.

He didn't say the OS bits that will benchmark the drive and enables to use it to install game (or that's not a thing for ps4 when you expand the storage ?) wouldn't be ready, which seems to be the case, otherwise people could just plug in their drives and test themselves.

The only relevant fact is that there is no list because nothing has been certified. Everything beyond that is assumption.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
So much concern lol

Not a big deal. Cold storage will be just fine until they get their list of certified SSDs together.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"It would be great if it happened at launch, but it will probably be a bit past it"

Cerny - The Road to PS5, March 18, 2020. 23:00 mark.

About when Sony would let ppl know, when testing would be complete.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they told people not to buy SSDs until they said they were compatible.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I'm definitly gonna be putting some last gen titles on my console SSDs too tbf. Those loading time improvements are gonna be worth it.

I wonder how much of a pain in the ass it would be to just rotate your storage from the onboard SSD to an external HDD

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I wont need it for awhile, but that doesn't make this any less pathetic.

-Sony told us in March
-They specifically cited the timing of capable drives from third parties even being available in relation to PS5 release
-And the need to test and certify those before giving them the go ahead to avoid consumers buying stuff that ends up not working

How is that in any way pathetic? I get being bummed that the timing of third party drives and PS5 launch didn't happen to line up the way we may have preferred but I honestly don't get these kinds of reactions.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
On the fact that Sony has avoided the subject for months and now it's confirmed that there will not be an option to expand storage at launch.

How is this hard to follow?
The fastest PCIE 4.0 SSDs are barely just making it to market. What exactly would you have wanted Sony to say when they had no retail products to put through the certification process?

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Seeing some of these reactions here and on twitter.
That's exactly what the verge was going for with that clickbait article.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Their info is half baked as usual of late. Fine the SSD expansion wont be ready, so what if im low on space and cant download huge game installs again. Can I off the game to cold storage on EXT usb? Becoz if I cant, that would suck. Again they should have offered more information and a solution.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
-Sony told us in March
-They specifically cited the timing of capable drives from third parties even being available in relation to PS5 release
-And the need to test and certify those before giving them the go ahead to avoid consumers buying stuff that ends up not working

How is that in any way pathetic? I get being bummed that the timing of third party drives and PS5 launch didn't happen to line up the way we may have preferred but I honestly don't get these kinds of reactions.
Telling me in advance you're doing something stupid doesn't make it any less stupid. Ultimately though, I don't care. It was always going to be months before I got one after reading reviews from other gamers of the drives they tried.